Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good Morning.....totally cloudy and 57* degrees now......with a high of 56*.......that seems wrong somehow :confused:.

Early this morning I ordered flex track, scenic foam grass, another switch, several ground throws, and six N scale ore cars. Everyone says, "oh look at those cute little shorty baby ore cars!"

Mike

By jeffrey-wimberly:

Tell them people up north to close the frigging door!

Oh, but it were that simple!

Here, in Illinois, it is possible (barely) to get by without AC in a vehicle but a heater is a MUST!

I'm posting this from the wireless laundrymat. Doesn't it feel different? I can feel it. Three huge bags of laundry washed and dried for $7.25....not bad. Gotta go.....dryers are done! :)

Mike

In a five and a half hour running battle with Mr Murphy, no enough pipe and a couple of broken pipe fittings two plumbers got the water heater installed. Not to mention they were in very cramped quarters. Those guys earned their pay today! It took about ten minutes for the tank to fill. I held off on turning it on as I wanted to let it sit for a bit and see if their were any slow drips. During this time I went to see if my toilet was working. It was not. There was a very small trickle of water going into the tank. It might have filled in about three hours! I played around with fill valve, heard a pop and it went to working. Just had a piece of trash caught in it. Then a new problem cropped up. The little copper fill pipe that fills the bowl and holds the flush flapper in place broke off at the base. If it isn't one thing it's another. The toilet still works IF I put the flapper in place manually. I got to looking at the filler tube and noticed it's inside diameter. I thought 'You know, if I JB Weld a piece of PVC pipe inside there so a quarter inch of the PVC sticks out and then JB Weld that end into the hole the fill tube broke off of it should work and that work fix the problem of the flapper as well. I showed the tube to my father and all he said was 'Macgiver strikes again'. We then went out to his machine shop and dug around and found a suitable piece of PVC pipe. No JB Weld or any other glue good for metal in a very wet location. So off I went to Lowes to get the glue. Got home and turned the water heater on. It hasn't been turned on long but the water coming from the hot side of the kitchen faucet is warmer then the cold side. We'll see what happens in an hour. As for the toilet repair, I may do that tonight or I may do it tomorrow. I have the little fille hole in the bottom of the tank plugged off with a ball of aluminum foil right now. Other than that the toilet works more or less normally.

It's beem a really active day for me. I was on my feet most of the time. Plumbers came in and did their thing and I now have hot and cold running water. That feels great!

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P9160140.jpg

Good Morning...:confused:

I'm up all energetic at a weird hour of the morning ...again.:mad:

Oh well..got some HD list thingees done and now I can sit and has some forum fun...:p

The weather here is rain rain and more rain..and our wetland out back has now spawned a river to the front as well...:eek:

Maybe soon I'll need a bridge to go with my sidewalk....a nice curved arch bridge....:eek:

Good morning. It's 67° with only 45% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 82°.
cond007.gif

I was pretty active yesterday so I was quite sore when I went to bed. Couldn't get to sleep until around 2:30am and woke up at 8:45am. It's hurts just to move. Hopefully the stiffness in my joints will work out in an hour or so.

I got problem with the toilet fixed last night. The fill pipe had broken off of the flush valve. Fixed it with a five inch piece of PVC pipe and some JB Weld. I put several beads of the JB Weld around the top two inches of the PVC pipe then pushed it up into the fill pipe, turning it as it went so the glue was well distributed. I left 5/16" of the PVC sticking out. Let it set up for an hour then liberally coated the 5/16" section with the glue and carefully pushed it into the broken off base in the flush valve. Let that harden a couple of hours then installed the ring for the flapper and adjusted it until the flapper had the best seal. Job done. Forty some odd year old toilet still works. Macgiver strikes again!.

DSCN1810.jpg

Good morning. It's 63° with 88% humidity. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 85°.
cond026.gif

Only set plan for today is to clean up the layout some. If I feel up to it later I'll go mow my parents yard. Other than that there's nothing going on here.

DSCN1746.jpg

Jeffrey
I feel you're pain, nothing going on here either.
Just trying to put a 6 day work week behind me, as I stare at the tall grass outside.:(
Hopefully, the dew will dry off by the time the coffee kicks in!:rolleyes:
l8ter!

Good morning. I'm trying to decide if I should go out and mow the leaves, or head over to the train club to run some trains. What do y'all think I should do?

Back