Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

And seeing Karl has gone all squeamish on us, I'll refrain from telling the story about the poor chap that lost the tips of his fingers between the rollers and a sheet of steel while rolling it.

Its not that I have gone all squeamish,,just the remarks were getting a little silly..
I've had "accidents" of my own,,,,,like how I drilled my own finger:eek:, the countless times I've mashed my hands installing engines or trannies, or dropped the same on my feet. Yes, I've got the battle scars too!

We had a warm front move in yesterday. The low last night was maybe 60*. At the moment it's 70* and mostly cloudy. Might go cut some lumber later for bench frames.

Right now I'm watching a multi-part series on how to install traction motors in locomotives (on youtube). Want to be ready in case one of my N scale engines blows one this winter while I'm up here staying warm running trains. :D Looks like I'll need another crane.

Mike

Okay.....that was silly :(:eek::rolleyes::cool:
Funny too.

Signing off early tonight. Weather guesser said earlier we had a 20% chance of light rain tonight. Sure can't tell it here. It's coming down in buckets and the winds gusting to 20 mph or more. Big thunderboomers moving through and the satellite dish is blacked out.

Worked on the elevators gallery a little. I knocked together six wall sections. Two on each side and one on each end. It doesn't look like much but it's a start.

Power is starting to do strange and not so wonderful things so it's time to shut down. See y'all tomorrow if I don't get washed away tonight.

P1011738.jpg

P1011737.jpg

Good morning, America, from the heart of America! It's 47 degrees now and on its way to 68 later today with sunny skies. Hopefully, it will make up for a warm but very wet weekend. Might even do a little railfanning if the opportunity arises. Got other things that may interfere, but you do have to have priorities.:p

Good morning. It's 64° with 78% humidity. It'll be most sunny and the high will be 82°.
cond026.gif

Seems like I picked up someones cold. Hopefully I can get rid of it quickly. I'll be be doing more work on the gallery structure today. I hope to get the roof sections measured out and ready to cut.

DSCN0826.jpg

Good morning, America, from the heart of America! It's 47 degrees now and on its way to 68 later today with sunny skies. Hopefully, it will make up for a warm but very wet weekend. Might even do a little railfanning if the opportunity arises. Got other things that may interfere, but you do have to have priorities.:p
Welcome aboard the coffee train Bob! I guess you're not doing the nuclear thing today? Aren't you a nuclear engineer or something? Lucky guy! :)

Mike

55* and mostly cloudy now.......strangley enough 55* is also the high for today.

I was feeling something was missing in my life. Then I realized I haven't been on an old fashioned hay ride in a while. My goodness, well I just can't remember........I don't go in for those kinds of risque life style choices anyway.....hee ha! Plus those hay ride vehicles are so hard to schedule a trip on......they are always so busy being used as floats in parades and such. What do they call those vehicles anyway?.....oh yes.....trailers or something.....I think. Don't worry about me....I'll be fine....maybe. :rolleyes::p

Mike

Welcome aboard the coffee train Bob! I guess you're not doing the nuclear thing today? Aren't you a nuclear engineer or something? Lucky guy! :)

Mike

I don't know if lucky is the term I would use. It. Is a stressful job, and one it seems you have to have lived somewhere besides near three mile island when it went poof to be qualified for. Yes, I was there then, and yes, that means I have to stay away from nuclear power plants from now on.

By railfan:

I can only wish! I'm just a Boilermaker that works in different power plants, during refuel outages and when ever they need other work done that they contract out. Sometimes I work the refuel part, taking the reactor apart so the fuel shuffles can take place and then putting it back together (hopefully with no parts left over),:rolleyes: other times I work what they call Balance of Plant, which is repairing or replacing equipment throughout the rest of the plant, usually as a welder. I also work in coal fired plants. Overall, a very interesting job.

I don't know if lucky is the term I would use. It. Is a stressful job, and one it seems you have to have lived somewhere besides near three mile island when it went poof to be qualified for. Yes, I was there then, and yes, that means I have to stay away from nuclear power plants from now on.
Yeah, that makes sense now that you mention it. It would certainly be stressful and likely hazardous too.

I'll never forget three mile island too, because I woke up that morning in north side hospital in youngstown ohio. The event at three mile island had just happened and was the only thing on TV. I was a victim in an auto crash the night before.......another driver spun out on icy road hit me head on. Was driving my old VW beetle......which incidently I thought the bug handled the impact amazingly well.....though it was indeed totalled. I easily recovered within two months. Darn it!....I want another 1970 beetle! :p

Got more work done on the elevator gallery today. I put several strips of plastic in the bottom to give it some rigidity as well as to support the cut down loco body that would be put in to give it some weight. The aforementioned loco body was glued in then a card stock roof was cut, folded and installed.

P1011741-1.jpg

P1011739.jpg

P1011742.jpg

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Good Morning! I'm hungry and I'm going out looking for one of these artisan sandwiches. Apparently someone has fired the normal kitchen staff and hired artists to make the sandwiches now. I saw this coming. Don't let them touch the coffee! :eek: Sunny and 60* today.

Mike

Good morning. It's 56° with 87% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a high of 82°.
condmc-1.jpg

If it wasn't for the clouds it'd be a nice day today. Only plans for today are get a coat of paint on the elevator gallery structure. As for the windows that are on such a structure I believe I'll paint those on as well. Cutting holes in it would only reveal the loco shell inside. Now as for plans others may have for my time, that I have little control over.

DSCN0796-1.jpg

Murphy is alive and well and living under my kitchen sink. The outlet pipe on my water heater sprung a leak a few hours ago right where the pipe goes into the water heater. I turned the water off at the road but Murphy apparently has an address there too. The valve won't cut off all the way so there's a trickle getting trough. Just enough to build up pressure and spray out in a mist. If I'm not online tomorrow you know why.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0775-1.jpg

Back