Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

If you saw an Xray of me, you'd think you were looking at a display from Ace Hardware. My doctor has started calling me Evil Knievel...
I can identify with that. An X-ray of my right foot looks like the result of two high speed trains colliding head-on. It's a real mess! It's a wonder I still have circulation in it.

Well on the gallery for the grain elevator I'm playing around with the idea of using the cut down body of an EMD E6B as the basis of the structure. It's about the right length and gives me something solid to build onto instead of building a freestanding structure from card stock and hoping it's straight or doesn't warp from the humidity. I told one of my friends about this but all he can imagine is a loco on top of the silos, so it doesn't make sense to him. I call that lack of imagination.

P1011741.jpg

P1011743.jpg

Jeffrey,,,,good idea! That would make a great substructure to build on!:D

As for the rest of you guys talking about herds of severed fingers,,um,,lay off the zombie movies!!:rolleyes:

I do feel sorry for those that lack imagination, can't see how you could possibly be a modeller without it. What you've come up with there Jeff shows an ability to "think outside the square" (also called lateral thinking). Brilliant.

And seeing Karl has gone all squeamish on us, I'll refrain from telling the story about the poor chap that lost the tips of his fingers between the rollers and a sheet of steel while rolling it.

I do feel sorry for those that lack imagination, can't see how you could possibly be a modeller without it. What you've come up with there Jeff shows an ability to "think outside the square" (also called lateral thinking). Brilliant.

And seeing Karl has gone all squeamish on us, I'll refrain from telling the story about the poor chap that lost the tips of his fingers between the rollers and a sheet of steel while rolling it.

I will also refrain from relating the story of when a paving machine fell on my father's foot. Or had the end of one of his fingers removed by a machine he was working on. Or the time I shoved a razor blade through one of my fingers. Or the time a co worker nailed his foot to the floor...

I'm doing a bit of work on the gallery structure now. I'm using my Dremel with a cut-off disk to cut the pieces from some scrap plastic kit parts. Making the windows will be the interesting part.

Well, earlier this evening I put a couple of old Niel Diamond records (yes I said records) on the stereo to play while I worked on cutting the pieces I need for the gallery structure. The records are two of a box full that my parents gave me a couple of decades ago when I was living in my old Dodge motor home. Well I went to work on the structure pieces and the records played. I had it turned up loud as the stereo is in the back and I wanted to hear it over the noise of the a/c unit. There were no interruptions, no phone calls. Only the sound of the a/c, the Dremel and Neil Diamond. And these are OLD songs that he sang back when I was a kid. Presently the records finished. A couple of minutes later I got a phone call. Yeah, I thought, somebody's going to complain about it. What I heard was 'Play it again!'. Withing three minutes I got four more calls. 'Play it again'. 'Could you please play that again?'. 'I want to hear it again'. So even as I type this Neil is doing his thing again.

Now it's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0881.jpg

Neil Diamond has or....had......not sure......a nice little ranch in a beautiful canyon near the frying pan river between basalt colorado and the ruedi reservoir dam. As long as that dam holds.....everything is fine. Hee ha! I'm not sure if he would still be there because......it used to be paradise in that part of colorado back around 1980 when I moved there.....But since then there's been a population explosion and many people cashed in and sold out in the real estate boom.....made a fortune selling their property then moved to somewhere else where they can once again find solitude and privacy. I always liked his music.

Mike

Speaking of music... By a strange coincidence, I am loading CDs into my computer to transfer onto my iPod later. A DJ that has been working for several decades has retired, and he sold me part of his CD collection. I stopped counting at 800. CDs, not songs. I have a pair of large covered plastic totes full of CDs, they have the liners, but not the cases. Most of the stuff is from the 1980's-mid 2000's. I basically got all the "B" CDs, with a scattering of top 40 stuff.
I expect I'll be busy for the next couple of weeks cataloging and loading them, along with getting several of the multi-hundred CD storage books.

6 years ago I went to library one summer and check out 30 CDs at a time each nite I loaded them to my external hard drive then later putem on my mp3 as I went along it was worth it

Good morning. It's 70° and mostly cloudy with 94% humidity. There's a fair chance of rain. The high will be 85°.
cond50.jpg

Looks like a day for thunderstorms. Last night I got the wall and end pieces for the grain elevators gallery cut from scrap pieces of plastic from some larger structure walls and never once touched anything sharper than a Dremel cut-off disk. Today I'll see if I can put them together. Provided I can get that done I'll have to measure out the length and width for the roof pieces. So far virtually none of this has been measured (except the height of the silos). It's mostly been done by eye and dead reckoning. I have no other plans for today but who knows what anybody else has planned for me.

P4140085.jpg

Good morning. It's 44 and mostly clear.
Between what I had already, and what I put into the computer last night, I have 5500 songs, 21Gb @128Kbps, or 15 days of music. I sill have a stack of 100 CDs (the loose ones), before I even get into the ones he pre-sorted.

Back