A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

New Cab Forward

IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2326.jpg

At least I am not sick enough to enjoy my new BLI Cab forward. This is a beautiful done piece. I have a 'Big Boy" on order too and I can't wait.

Something else I could never do is run all eleven of my California Zephyr set on my old layout. Still a lot to pull on this one but it does work. That is why i built this layout this broad so that I could run big equipment like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a train show yesterday in Springfield , Ohio and was able to buy , I hope, the last of my Peco track. I worked this morning and a little this evening finishing up my yard. I'm pleased with the end result. Now I get to wire the whole zone. Then I get to start on the roundhouse area and I will be done with laying track. I am trying to get a few hours a night now to work on the layout. The mains are completely wired and I am running trains while I am working on the yard. Nice to be at this point and ahead of schedule. I may be able to start some scenery in December!!

IMG_2355.jpg IMG_2356.jpg

Ok so I could not stand it and wired around different points to get trains running. I have to finish wiring but I now know I have good track work in place. These 2 steam engines would derail a lot on my old layout. Now I am using Peco tack and turnouts. ( I do have 1 Walthers curved turnout) . Everything is running pretty smooth. I plan to have the rest of the mains wired within the next two weeks then I can start on the yard. I think I will enjoy this new layout. :eek::eek:

[video=youtube_share;yq7CKODpp9I]https://youtu.be/yq7CKODpp9I[/video]

Just logged in and saw the video. Super smooth. Your long straight sections and large radius curves fit those big locos and long trains very well.

I have just finished laying my cork sub-roadbed and am ordering up some track and turnouts. What kind of turnouts did you get insolated-frog or electrified frog? Not sure what I should get.

I seriously wonder what is wrong with us model railroaders. We seem to not be able to leave stuff alone.:p

I have a million of other projects to do and as was testing my trains on the the newly wired system I ended up adding another section of track from the yard to the mainline again. Why ? I have no idea just had a PECO Rh curved switch I wanted to use I guess. I was going to install my turntable but I have decided since Walthers came out with the new 130" turntable I would get that so it can handle my bigger Locos. Now that they are predicting colder weather I am pumped up to finish the track work and get on with scenery.

IMG_2383.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

Eric,

I know what you mean. I woke up at 1:00 AM last night and thought maybe I could do a little work on the railroad. I stopped working on it at 1:00 PM this afternoon, wondering why my back hurts. Twelve straight hours, and loved every minute. :)

So I received my new turntable and I have installed it. Still have to wait for more track to come in to finish it.

IMG_2412.jpg IMG_2411.jpg

Also have started the tunnel. this is the first level then I will install the final section. Aprox. another 8 inches higher. Also I weathered some of the track.

This is where it is getting fun. Plus I can run trains around when I am doing some of the work.

IMG_2410.jpg IMG_2409.jpg

That turntable is awesome. Is it the 130 foot model? Your scenery work with the tunnel looks great. What is your process and materials? Can't wait to see your Big Boy on the track.

We will be going through Cheyenne Wyo. this summer and I would love to get glimpse of #4014 as it is being restored. I hear they don't let people in to see it, but we will stop by........ you never know.

That turntable is awesome. Is it the 130 foot model? Your scenery work with the tunnel looks great. What is your process and materials?

Yeah that is the 130 model . I have a Walthers 90' also and I was thinking of incorporating that back in the layout or may have to sell it, we'll see. I am using cardboard strips ( That I bought from MicroMark) some newspaper and plaster cloth. I will then use Hydocal over top of it. The tunnel is done out of foam. Some of the upper mountain will be 2" foam and cloth. I am trying some new things. The cardboard and plaster cloth is very light but fragile if you try to put pressure on it. Once the Hydrocal is on it it is fairly strong. Pretty much it is new to me but I like the way it is coming out

Nice photos and video. You are really making some progress. Like the cab forward. Would love to get one but there's no way it would fit into my layout. Sweet locomotive.

Eric, very nice job on both the train room and the layout. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
Wayne

Eric, very nice job on both the train room and the layout. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
Wayne

Thanks Wayne and you have a merry Christmas and a happy New Years too. Still miss my old layout, it was unique. How is your layout coming along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric, still a work in progress. I am in the midst of redoing a section. The layout is still a point to point which includes my three Free-MO modules. Provides switching fun for me.
Wayne

Eric,
Looking good, and Merry Christmas.

One thing from your photos on 11/30/2016-you might want to straighten your track, using a straight edge, unless your railroad is deferring maintenance. Back in the 70's my Dad took us to Lebanon, NJ, where the High Iron Company was located, to look at their equipment in storage. At the time, the rr was the CNJ. The track was stick rail with a kink at every joint, just about. My Dad was the one that pointed it out, as he worked for the UP, during WWII, who had much better maintenance, and gave me a new insight into what 'straight track' meant, particularly in terms of where railjoints occur.

Best regards,
Carl

Eric,
Looking good, and Merry Christmas.

One thing from your photos on 11/30/2016-you might want to straighten your track, using a straight edge, unless your railroad is deferring maintenance. Back in the 70's my Dad took us to Lebanon, NJ, where the High Iron Company was located, to look at their equipment in storage. At the time, the rr was the CNJ. The track was stick rail with a kink at every joint, just about. My Dad was the one that pointed it out, as he worked for the UP, during WWII, who had much better maintenance, and gave me a new insight into what 'straight track' meant, particularly in terms of where railjoints occur.

Best regards,
Carl

Thanks Carl but I am not sure what Pictures you are talking about from 11-30-16 . But as track work goes I am pretty happy with what I have and I really don't get too serious into operations. I am more of a "runs Trains " and scenery guy. Kind of a mixed bag of railroad stuff. I like too many different things to stick with one theme. I am guessing you might be talking about the yard? I would have to say there are days I defer maintenance. :D But I plan to straighten a few things up mainly because that is why we do the hobby, to keep on working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last update of 2016 !

Finally! I got all my track down and wired. ( Probably will add more later of course) I installed my new 130' Turntable , programmed it and weathered it. ( May do some different weathering need some opinions here on this) I had a small space to work with so I am squeezing some engine servicing areas in this the best I can.

Let me know what you think , I am open to suggestions. Glad it is winter so I can get a lot done.:p

IMG_2454.jpg IMG_2453.jpg IMG_2452.jpg

More stalls for the round house(even if a few of them are fake, with the doors shut? Also 2 leads to the pit, with the ability to get coal & water on both-one for inbounds, and one for outbounds? Fewer moves required by the hostler. Would give you more room for a diesel house, maybe? Or car shop? FWIW, looking good!!

Back