A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Hi Eric/ guys,
I just got through this tread and I'm up to date. I'm amazed at how much you have done in a short time. Your work is great. First I love the whole basement work you have done. I can't even think about how much home you must have with a basement that large. I really like the layout you have done and I think it looks good. I'll be hanging on from now on to keep up with your progress. Lots of great info to help me with my own layout.

Dave

Thanks Dave and I will try not to disappoint you. :)

The final turn is in

Finally I have the last turn (the hardest) in. The trestle had to be landscaped before I could really connect the track. This is what makes it fun. I will be doing a lot more detail later but for right now this will do. I even got a chance to do a little weathering on the track and trestle. I gave the MTH K-4 a little test run on it too. Really had a relaxing time doing this one.

IMG_2235.jpg IMG_2236.jpg IMG_2237.jpg IMG_2238.jpg

That is very well done. Did you build the trestle from scratch or was it in kit form?

Greg I had a guy that I found on Ebay custom build it for me. He had great reviews and it is all done out of wood with the right radius on both mains. I figured for the $95.00 he charged me ( shipped) that I could not go wrong. He did a great job.

I added the concrete supports at the bottom of it.

Greg I had a guy that I found on Ebay custom build it for me. He had great reviews and it is all done out of wood with the right radius on both mains. I figured for the $95.00 he charged me ( shipped) that I could not go wrong. He did a great job.

That is a great deal. Sources like that are golden.

I have to be honest I didn't know what the barrel platforms where for until I read up on them. They are normally filled with water or maybe sand to put fires out on the trestle from the sparks that the trains caused. Pretty interesting things you learn while doing this hobby.

Saw this post on my phone last night and wanted to see larger photo. That is an impressive scene Eric. Well done. Thumb up.gif

That's a deal for sure. I would expect the cost of the wood and shipping would be half that cost. There isn't much left for a profit. I see this is a job done for love not for profit.

Dave

1st test run with 2 Engines

Ok so I could not stand it and wired around different points to get trains running. I have to finish wiring but I now know I have good track work in place. These 2 steam engines would derail a lot on my old layout. Now I am using Peco tack and turnouts. ( I do have 1 Walthers curved turnout) . Everything is running pretty smooth. I plan to have the rest of the mains wired within the next two weeks then I can start on the yard. I think I will enjoy this new layout. :eek::eek:

[video=youtube_share;yq7CKODpp9I]https://youtu.be/yq7CKODpp9I[/video]

A perfect example of the hi-lo track concept Eric, nothing better than to see trains running, eh :)

Eric, nice work. Sounded like things were running extremely well. Nice. Thanks for the look see.
Wayne

Congrats on the first run and thanks for sharing the event by video. Must have really felt good after all the work.

Well done.

Just finished some more "Feeders" wiring tonight. I have only about a couple hours more of soldering feeders and the Mainlines are DONE! :p

That is a big step for this layout. Then I go to the yard and then I'll put the roundhouse area in. I plan to have all that done by Xmas and then I can get started on Scenery. I can't believe it has been eight years ago I started back in this hobby and now this is my 3rd (and Final) layout. Ran trains again tonight for about 20 minutes without a hitch. Can't wait to get the big stuff out that I could not run before. I know sometimes the big stuff does not look a 100% correct on 34 and 32 radius but it will sure look better than it did on 24 & 22 radius that I use to have.

I have a BLI "Big Boy" on order because I have always wanted one but never had a layout that could handle it.

Sometimes life just throws you a curve ball. Really wanted to get a lot done over the past 3 weeks but I have been fighting pneumonia ☹️️. I am feeling much better today and might even finish my feeders on the mains. Time to get back to normal [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's when it starts pitching them out of a machine that you know you're up against it :rolleyes: Don't overdo it and have a relapse.

A perfect example of the hi-lo track concept Eric, nothing better than to see trains running, eh :)

Exactly the kind of look I'm reaching for at the moment, had four lines and you just could not SEE what was happening, "stacking" them is THE way to go!

Back