A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Something Different

So I was at the hobby shop looking for Hydrocal and they had an 8# container from JCTRAINSSTORE.com that is gray in color and it was a better price than buying the woodland scenics stuff. So I decided to try it. Goes on almost black in color then starts turning a gray color. I am not sure about it yet but it has some pluses. You will never get white spots in your scenery. You have to wear some gloves while applying it or you will be scrubbing for a bit afterwards.

I can't seem to find their website but there are some people that sell it still. Here are 3 pictures and in the last picture I have part of the mountain weathered and you can see what the possible outcome will be. I guess I will experiment a bit. Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2477.jpg

Hi Eric,
I assume you utilized foam as a basis for your mountains, then Hydrocal over that?

Have you seen these 2 videos posted in this subject thread?
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?39595-Using-expandable-foam-for-scenery&p=440856#post440856
...particularly this one

Nice video. Yes I used a little of everything. Most of the shell is cardboard strips laced. Plaster cloth over that. Then I used broken pieces of foam stacked and just placed where I thought would look good. A little more plaster cloth and then hydrocal. Also used some newspaper wadded up. So I did quite a few different things. I take a lot of time for cleaning up. I never leave the mess. I find it is easier to get back to it when you have a clean start again. All in all I like the way it came out. I will have a lot of trees on the mountain side. If you look close at one of the pictures you can see the "Aerial Cable Car" set I will have going up the mountain to a visitor center. ( BRAWA model 6280)

The first part of the mountain I started weathering hours after the gray hydrocal was put down and now on the rest I am waiting a few days to get a full dry time and see if that comes out different. I don't think the Gray Hydrocal is available anymore , the company is gone I believe. Thanks for looking.

I like your land forms and tunnels. You have a good artistic eye. As with all of the other elements of model railroading the scenic piece will be my first attempt. I enjoy following your progress. Keep up the good work.

Greg

I like your land forms and tunnels. You have a good artistic eye. As with all of the other elements of model railroading the scenic piece will be my first attempt. I enjoy following your progress. Keep up the good work.

Greg

Thanks Greg. My inspiration comes from the Tennessee mountains and a mixture of Glacier National Park. Actually a lot of the parks I have seen have been a big inspiration. Love the mountains! But my colors for the mountains I still believe comes from Tennessee inspiration.

Nicely done Eric. I agree with Greg about the land forms. Must feel nice to finally get some scenery going. I can remember when I first started putting in hard shell scenery. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but once I got the hang of it, I turned into a monster. I really like using hydrocal myself. I found a couple of 50 pound bags and went to work.

Some more updates

This winter has been bad for me getting colds. Really has slowed my progress down. I have had some energy this weekend to do a little scenery again. So here are some updates for you guys, let me know what you think of my weathering on the mountains.

IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2531.jpg

Your mountain rock formation is excellent. The stone texture and colors are first rate. I like the greenery and trees too. :)

In February I will be getting the last of my mainline track purchased and installed. Then in March the DCC system goes in, then in April, the DCC and fascia turnout controls go in, in May I will start some terrain building. Spreading out the costs helps to keep the wife happy. :rolleyes:

Your mountain rock formation is excellent. The stone texture and colors are first rate. I like the greenery and trees too

Thanks Guys, I am going to add a lot of trees to the top of the mountain. I figure if I can get this scene done it will be the largest part of the scenery out of my way. I will post more when I get the trees and other scenery around it in.

I have to show off a bit.

I am so excited tonight. Today after a year wait I received my Broadway Limited BIG BOY ! This is why I built this layout to be able to run a Big Boy. Always has been my favorite engine. It is so nice. It has smoke that comes out of the whistle when you blow it and a depleting coal load. Very nicely built. Operates very nice on the layout. Not a very fast engine but a lot of power. I am sure that is the prototype speeds. I also parked it on my new turntable and it fits like it is supposed to. Not much more room after it is on there.:p

IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2533.jpg IMG_2534.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That Big Boy really looks good. Sure wish there was a way to justify big articulated steamers on my layout. Love them.

Eric,
Looking great! I am in the planning phase of my layout and want to run large locomotives and rolling stock. Have you stuck with your minimum 30" radius. As you test run your track, are you happy with the performance/reliability and aesthetics of the big stuff going through a 30" radius curve?

I can see why you show so much excitement for the new Big Boy, and it looks fantastic against your scenery.

Eric,
Looking great! I am in the planning phase of my layout and want to run large locomotives and rolling stock. Have you stuck with your minimum 30" radius. As you test run your track, are you happy with the performance/reliability and aesthetics of the big stuff going through a 30" radius curve?

I do I have one area that has about a 28 1/2 radius but is a very short run on that curve. So the rest is min. 30 but my mains at the big curves are 34 and 32. Yes I am happy with the aesthetics ,but I am easy to please.:D. I think it looks fine. I watch a video on You tube the other day showing a real big boy going through some tighter switches and it twisted around pretty crazy but it looked good and that is what they said is the reason for the articulation.

I do I have one area that has about a 28 1/2 radius but is a very short run on that curve. So the rest is min. 30 but my mains at the big curves are 34 and 32. Yes I am happy with the aesthetics ,but I am easy to please.:D. I think it looks fine. I watch a video on You tube the other day showing a real big boy going through some tighter switches and it twisted around pretty crazy but it looked good and that is what they said is the reason for the articulation.

Yes I have seen some old videos of Big Boys negotiating switch yard turnouts or switches and the front end makes the turn well before the nose of the boiler. Quite a sight to see.

Back