Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Darn OAK tree has not stopped dropping leaves. Maybe that's why this 'puker keeps acting up. Too much poison oak in the ground.

Prayers for all in need.
Phil

I choose to ignore the falling leaves. If I don't see it it isn't happening.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Good evening. 67*F and calm in central MD. I don't have enough time to type-in comments on every post of the last ~10 pages, but I'll try to cover the highlights.

Sure hope Eric's treatment went as planned...

Sherrell - I'll add you to our Prayer List for your mystery medical situation!

I see Garry and Willie celebrated anniversaries - congrats to you both!

Dave in MN - best of luck on your new job, glad you found a decent home for your layout!

15 years since 9-11; remembering the events of that tragic date always causes a visceral reaction in me, to the point where I have to quickly get my mind off it before I do or say something I might regret!

What a totally stressful week this has been!:eek: First, my new iPhone 6S kept "dropping" calls when I was in my trainroom, and Verizon tech support couldn't do anything about it so I had to trade it in for a Samsung Galaxy S7; at least now I can have conversations in there with minimal breakup. All the troubleshooting wasted a lot of my would-be free time though. On Thursday night, Stephanie (my daughter in FL) calls and tells me she lost her purse, with some critical documents in it! So I scrambled to add her name to my ID theft protection service. [She called the following morning to report that she'd recovered it, *whew*!] Then later Friday evening she calls MOH and says there is no money in her "flight" account - WTF!? The financial aid people had told us her loan had been approved and she was covered thru spring 2017? So that was another few hours of crisis resolution; we had been unaware of the fact that we were supposed to log onto the University website and click a few buttons to get the funds transferred.

So, not much mrr time for me the past few days. But I did finally get out there and finish wiring-in the new trackwork, and tested it. I finally got enough of the tools and other clutter off the layout surface to get a few photos.

The first one shows the new spur (with the twin Pennsy Hi-Cubes on it) on the North end of the FMC plant:

NewTrack_NorthEnd.gif

Here is where I put in two new tracks (upper left) for receiving bulk liquids - apparently not only paint and solvents were shipped in tank cars, but also motor oil, brake fluid, etc.; hence the need for additional tank car spurs:

NewTrack_BulkRecvg.gif

...and this one shows where I put in an extra spur for receiving later-stage assembly parts. There won't be any unloading dock there; I'll simulate a few roll-up doors on the end wall where the cars get pushed into the interior of the building, which can now only be represented in two dimensions as part of the backdrop.

NewTrack_SouthEnd.gif

In a nutshell, I doubled the number of spur tracks for each type of freightcar that services the Ford plant.

FMC_Spur_Additions.gif

The long-term plan is that there will be two Ford plant locals scheduled during each op session - one at the beginning, the other during the last hour. Before that can happen, however, I also need to double my inventory of automobile industry-specific rolling stock; and that won't be happening any time soon since my daughter's start-up college expenses totally depleted our checking account!:rollyeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken ... I really like the way that you added the additional tracks. WoW, the x-ing is a real winner!
That's set up now for some real switching action.

With the hectic week that you have just gone threw, I almost hate to bring this up .....
I hope that I am not bursting your bubble, but have you been paying attention to the bad publicity that the Samsung S7 has been getting with the exploding batteries and recalls?
If you are aware .. then please accept my apologies for being an alarmist.

MATT .. I;m with you on the leaves .. I say - Leave them be!

MEL .. That trestle is really looking good! I see that you figured out the correct way the bents are supposed to be - lol.

Spousal Unit and I went to a new Tavern last evening with the Bunco group after I had put in a couple hours working on the door painting project. 24 old adults, half of us with hearing problems, can sure make a lot of noise in an already noisy place. After a few beers and some good food we all piled back in the autos and drove down the road 2 miles or so to a miniature golf place where we set new records for the most strokes ever! After about the 12th hole my hernia really started acting up and although I finished the round I was hurting pretty bad - wife and I had to head home. Today I have done nothing except space out on several football games. There were some interesting ones today - and lots of close scores. I guess that I really overdid it yesterday - probably too much climbing up and down the ladder.

OK .. Have an appointment with the doctors at the Moreno Valley surgery department on Tuesday morning to find out what they plan to do about the hernia. Then on the 20th I have to head back to Riverside for a CT scan and and another test (sorry, cannot remember the name) that has to do with my esophagus. It seems that another aneurysm showed up and the way it was explained to me is that it is between the esophagus and heart. The results of the tests on the 20th will be sent to some place in LA as the hospital in Riverside does not do that work even though they repaired three abdominal aortic aneurysms shortly after the cancer surgery. I gather that I may have to go to the LA area if I am to have surgery.

I sure thought that I was making pretty good progress on getting somewhat back to normal - and now all this pops up. Tell you the truth - I don't look forward a bit to having my chest cut open and I kid you all not - I am really scared of this one if it comes to it. It all just has me on a downer at the moment.

I'll let you all know what I find out after Tuesday's session. Have a good week everyone.

Ken ... ...
I hope that I am not bursting your bubble, but have you been paying attention to the bad publicity that the Samsung S7 has been getting with the exploding batteries and recalls?
If you are aware .. then please accept my apologies for being an alarmist.
No need to apologize Sherrell, that applies to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, not the S7. Here is an excerpt from a website explaining the situation:

"The recall is specific to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, the latest edition of Samsung’s popular Galaxy Note line. It was released just a few weeks ago, so you should only have one if you got a new phone recently. Other Samsung phone models — including Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S7 — do not appear to be affected."

The whole article can be viewed here: http://www.vox.com/2016/9/9/12867340/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall

...cheers!

I think the operative word with the S7 is appear. In the meantime, don't leave it unattended whist charging, especially not in the trainroom :mad:

Good Morning Everyone. 62° with clear skies to start the day, expected to get back into the 90's for a few days. Back to mowing and wood cutting today after Saturday's rain. Have about a 6-week supply of firewood ready right now with an additional 2-weeks on the ground waiting for processing and stacking. I put up about 13-weeks worth in an average year.
Out in the train shed, I am putting the finishing touches on a Walther's kit, "National Fuel Supply". I'm actually splitting it into two industries rather than using it all together. The area that I model had little use for coal, so the coal dump is going to be used as a gravel unloader for a landscape company, that will also use the office structure. The fuel tanks, garage and unloading apparatus will be the fuel dealer. I'll get some pictures today if I remember.

Gary P - Interesting historical article regarding Winnipeg. It pretty much describes what happened to many cities in this country as well. Around here it was Ft Worth TX, but a succession of politicians, Sam Rayburn, Lyndon Johnson, Jim Wright; brought defense and aerospace business to town to rescue them.
Chet - If you just stored tools and supplies on the layout benchwork like the rest of us (well some of us), you wouldn't have any trouble finding them.
Ken in MD - Sounds like a busy few days.
Sherrel - I can almost hear you on the tavern visit. A group of about 14-16 of us old college friends get together a few times a year for birthdays etc., and half of us can't hear either. Thought that you had acquired hearing aids a few months ago? Best wishes on the hernia procedure tomorrow, and prayers for your newly discovered ailment.

Hoping that the Stock Market recovers a bit today, although that may be wishful thinking since a number of Fed bankers are giving speeches today.
Otherwise, everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. A busy weekend is over. Starting the day off at 39 degrees with rain, and a predicted high of only 49 degrees.

Matt - Ignore the leaves falling if you want, but summer IS coming to an end.

Ken - Like the new track work. You're moving right along. Keep the updates coming.

Sherrel - Hope things work out for you and your medical condition.

Willie - Sounds like you have been busy. Glad that we don't have to use firewood any more. I used to really enjoy going up into the mountains and getting it. Just a few miles from where we live, but the Forest Service has been closing off more and more roads and putting more restrictions on where you can cut it. I used to be able to load up the truck with about a cord and a half of wood in around a half hour to 45 minutes. We would haul it in lengths of 10 to 14 feet and then cut it to stove length pieces at the house. Don't miss the splitting at all.
So far as the work bench goes, I knew where all of the tools and supplies were until we remodeled the space. I boxed everything up when construction started but unfortunately my wife had moved some of the boxes from where I had put them originally and now the hunt is on. I now have all of the boxes located and just have to sort through them and put everything in its new place.

Here's a photo of an old Athearn switcher. This build is over 25 years old. The original motor has been replaced with a can motor, nickle silver wheels installed along with constant/directional lighting. I used photos of an actual Milwaukee Road switcher and added many details and also cut out the cast in front grill and installed the louvered detail kit. I hadn't run this locomotive in quite a while and do like to try to run all locomotives to keep everything lubricated. Still runs like a dream. When I used to help out the Great Falls Model Railroad Club during state fair, there was always a waiting line to use this locomotive because it is such an exceptional running locomotive.

IMAG0886.jpg IMAG0885.jpg IMAG0884.jpg

As most of you know, I only operate DC and as it works out, it has almost a perfect speed match to a Stewart switcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, everybody ....

Ken ... You are making great progress and I like the track plan.

Chet.... I like the MILW switcher a lot. The scenery looks great, and it reminds me of Wisconsin with so many nice looking trees. Bison, of course, were a problem for the railroads over many years.

CSorder.jpg

I choose to ignore the falling leaves. If I don't see it it isn't happening.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Do you have sex with the lights off?

No, don't answer that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chet - If you just stored tools and supplies on the layout benchwork like the rest of us (well some of us), you wouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Sherrel - I can almost hear you on the tavern visit. A group of about 14-16 of us old college friends get together a few times a year for birthdays etc., and half of us can't hear either. Thought that you had acquired hearing aids a few months ago? Best wishes on the hernia procedure tomorrow, and prayers for your newly discovered ailment.

Willie

Good Morning Diner Dwellers!
Temp is only expected to 79 today, 73 tomorrow, and then a climbing trend back to the 90's a week from today. Still no clouds except for the onshore spillover from the coast of foggy? type which will burn off in a couple hours.

CHET .. Agree with Willie! Placing your tools in boxes is cheating -- shape up! LoL
Nice photos of the switcher. Your mods to it really make it stand out. You have done a very nice job with the ground detail of broken branches, ect.

Willie .. Come to think of it .. I did have the "aids" on. Maybe that is why I thought it was so loud. Funny, I was able to understand the waitress when she took my order. I will have to remember that next time. I really should have my hearing checked. The "aid" for the right ear does not seem to help very much - that is the ear that is just about there for decoration, or to hold my cap up - LoL.

Feeling a little better today. I guess that I have accepted whatever my future fate is. I have always been a believer of pre-destiny. (is that the correct word)

Later, gang!

Sherrel - I do have all of my tools on the work bench. Tools were the first thing that were put in place. What I am looking for is some of my building supplies. I have a large supply of Evergreen sheeting and strips that have been misplaced (by my wife). I also have a bunch of windows and door that are hiding on me. Shouldn't be a problem now that all of the work has been completed in the rooms and boxes are being sorted out.

Hmmmm ... Too quite this morning around here. How about a locomotive picture. I hope that I have not already posted this one?

GP7.jpg

Bright enough to get your attention!

Winter is just around the corner, just think of all the fun it brings!

train1.jpg

Just thought I would "lighten" your day.

Mel

Back