Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Afternoon All,

MOH is at the school. She told me to stay home today. Did some chores around the house this morning and then spent over an hour working on the flat car underframe attachments. My mind was fried after that. I'm not sure if we go to the school tomorrow.

Everybody seems to forget that in Florida our leaves change also. They're green, change to brown, fall to the ground. Nothing says fall more than watching the leaves change in Florida while wearing shorts, a T-Shirt and sweating.

Ken- Great work on the track plan and track work. It will give you a lot of shifting possibilities.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear of your medical issues. Good luck with your hernia surgery tomorrow and I will say prayers for your well being.

Chet- Nice looking shifter and scenery.

Garry- A buffalo herd would be a great modeling scene for a layout in that "western era" like CA Dave does (I believe).

20160912_132353_zpsirkn3thn.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, 72° and sunny with a light breeze from the East. was as high as 77°, a major contrast to the mid 90s on Friday and Saturday. A lovely late summer day.

Since the family has left for their new home in Northern New York, the wife and I are re-adjusting to a quieter house without little people.

Curt: the underside of the flat cars is coming along nicely.

Sherrel: Good luck with the surgery and hopefully the other issue will turn out to be manageable. I believe the word is "predestination.

It looks like it is not going to hit the predicted high of 49 degrees. It is struggling to make it to 46.

Curt - Who makes the kit Tichy???

Joe - It's a shame that your family is moving out of the area, but in time you'll enjoy the peace and quite. My daughter only live 15 miles away and the "troops" usually show up on Saturdays. The neighbor across the road has kids about the same age and the grand kids get along so well with them. They also come un fed trying to eat everything in the house. I love the heck out of them but find it very easy to wave good bye. I tell my daughter that it is "payback". Grin.gif

I'll post one more photo of the crew at the freight station earning their pay check.

attachment.php

Later

So very true, CHET. Glad to see them upon arrival -- Glad to see them departing too!

Wife #1 once said: "If I had it to do over .. I would raise dogs".

The kids are gone and we do have dogs. One tells you when it's time to go to bed and the other when it's time to get up. At least they don't need clothes and won't get a drivers license.

Joe - It's a shame that your family is moving out of the area, but in time you'll enjoy the peace and quite. My daughter only live 15 miles away and the "troops" usually show up on Saturdays. The neighbor across the road has kids about the same age and the grand kids get along so well with them. They also come un fed trying to eat everything in the house. I love the heck out of them but find it very easy to wave good bye. I tell my daughter that it is "payback".
attachment.php

Chet: Good part of that is that they were further away before. Tennessee is a 14 hour drive from here, spread over two days, Watertown, is roughly 6 hours, including a lunch stop. or roughly the same as from here to Richmond VA.

Good evening.
Most of you know I have a travel trailer, and work for an RV dealer. Today there was an incident at work involving some brand-new trailer owners, and some random guy in a pickup truck. I felt the need to let other owners of that brand of RV know what happened, and that this is not the first time it has happened.
I've copied the post in its entirety, for your reading pleasure:

"Today at work, something happened that is completely inexcusable, and is behavior that is unfortunately becoming more and more common, AND NEEDS TO STOP!

As I was conducting a new owner orientation with the purchasers of a brand-new $137,000 Airstream, we were interrupted by an individual that pulled up in front of the trailer with his truck, got out, walked over to the trailer, and began opening up storage compartments like he owned the thing. The new owners were shocked, to say the least. When I asked him, "can I help you?" his response was, "No, I am looking for an answer!" He then proceeded to inform me it was okay, because he owned an Airstream.

This behavior is NOT "okay" or even within the bounds of any kind of civility or common courtesy. This is exactly the same thing as walking into somebody's home, and opening closets, just to satisfy somebody's idle curiosity. IT IS NOT ANYONE'S PROPERTY, other than the legal owner, and NO ONE else has the right to do something like this. After the individual got back in his truck and left, I had to assure the new owners that was not normal behavior for an Airstream owner, that most of us are caring, polite people that respect other peoples' property. I don't know if they believed me or not, but the new owners immediately walked around the trailer with their new keys, making sure all the compartment doors, main door, and safe were securely locked.

It made me ashamed to admit I was a fellow Airstream owner.

For those people that are conscientious and considerate Airstream owners, this kind of behavior is a slap in the face, and another stereotype to overcome. I have lost count of the number of times people have, for example, blocked an entire parking lot, or demanded special consideration because they own an Airstream. Guess what? The rest of us own Airstreams, too, and we don't need this kind of "I own an Airstream, so I can do anything I want" attitude.

I hope the individual that did this is a forum member, and reads this, and thinks next time before he acts.

Everybody else, take a look in the mirror, and ask yourself, "is he talking about me?" If you know you aren't, and would never be one of these people, thank you.

If you think, "Hmmm... Maybe I've done something that might be seen this way..." You might want to change your ways. You're giving the rest of us a black eye. "

Here y'go Louis, this one's for you - and anybody else here who truly loves our great nation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc
Thank you Ken, I am not a fan of country music, but that is a good song!

Afternoon All,

Memories of 9-11. I had just transferred care of a patient in the ER and was walking through Triage on the way to the bathroom and everyone was staring at the TV. You could hear a pin drop. The first plane had just hit the WTC. I'm not ashamed to say I still get teary eyed when I see shows about that day. The world would never be the same.

I have a friend that I worked with for 8 years that was a FDNY EMT that day. Although he is the stereotypical New Yorker, on this day he shuts down and he never talks about that day. I always let him know that I am thinking of him on 9-11.

Today I did some chores this morning then worked on the flat cars for 90 minutes which is my limit mentally when working on something small like the flat cars. I found out yesterday that I am getting 2 Walthers scale stations! Because my kids didn't talk to each other both ordered one. So much for trying to save them $$$.

Louis- We don't get Utz chips locally. My daughter loves the shrimp chips so when we travel we try to pickup a couple bags for her. I totally understand how you feel. I am right there with you. I don't know, if we had carpet bombed maybe we wouldn't be having the issues we are having now from that region.

This sure doesn't look like 2.5 hours of work.

20160911_132749_zpsf6unaotu.jpg

Phil I have never had shrimp flavored chips, but I have tried the crab flavored chips and I am not a fan. I really only like Old Bay seasoning with crabs or shrimp. My daughter puts it on all kinds of stuff. It over powers most everything for me.

I don't know if carpet bombing would help, 2 wrongs don't make a right. I am glad I am not the President, I would have lit them up like my Christmas tree.

Louis, the layshaft is a manual throttle lever for the engine. You push it toward the engine to speed it up, and pull it back to slow it down.
Now it makes perfect sense, thank you!

I sent you some more spam and it maybe in a can, the trash can that is.

Busy, busy day today. Out on the road before the sun came up, I'm glad it's over.

Lots of ground work in searching for property, I'll be glad when it's over.

I'm happy I've been productive for so many hours the last 2 days, better than I have in years, thank God.

That's all for me tonight.

I'll try and catch up in the morning.

Have a great night Everybody!

Good evening gang!
Another hectic 12 hour day is behind me. 4 more working days until the other writer in the office returns from a 2 week vacation....I IM her on facebook every day,,, counting down the days until he vacation is OVER!! Between that and eBay, my FIL's recent health issues, the house, SWMBO goes to HomeDepot like every other day and gets stuff,,,,,,I'ma goin a little nuts here!! :rolleyes:
Oh, and 12 days until I do the Cannonball run myself. Missouri and back in 3 days!:rolleyes: Good thing the rental van has cruise control!:rolleyes:

Chet. Awesome job on the switcher. I've got a few running around here with can motors, flywheels, NWSL wheels and driveshafts. Quiet little buggers they all are!:cool:

Sherrell Best of luck getting the medical situation back to normal. You're on the prayer list.

Terry I know whatcha mean about them Airstream owners. They ought to make them illegal to drive on sunny days, the reflections are enough to blind ya!:cool: <----- sunglasses required! No seriously I do know what you mean. I deal with Corvette owners. Even GM refers to them in one bulletin to dealers as "unique individuals". I could fill a book on 30 years of Corvette owners antics. Some of them truly believe they are the source for rosewater and unicorns.

Corvette billboard.jpg

I have an HO scale version of this I used to put on the modules at shows, when I was feeling particularly snarky!

Thanks to all that commented on the pic of SWMBO and I with the grandboys. 5 boys, 5 grandsons, no girls since SWMBO was born. She wants to put a bounty to be the paid to the 1st son that can produce a girl. I say invest it in brass locos instead! :rolleyes:

Later gang, 5 a.m. comes early!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. 64*F and calm here in central MD, my kind of weather!

I think the operative word with the S7 is appear. In the meantime, don't leave it unattended whist charging, especially not in the trainroom :mad:

Toot, our local (Baltimore) news station did an interview with a guy from Underwriters Laboratories, asking how to stay safe with these lithium-ion powered phones. He said the main thing is to avoid charging or storing them in places where there is anything that could be fuel for a fire (wood furniture, tablecloths, bed linens etc.). Looking around my home, I've concluded that the optimal place to recharge it would be in a closed oven.

Ken ... I really like the way that you added the additional tracks. WoW, the x-ing is a real winner!
That's set up now for some real switching action. ...
...Ken - Like the new track work. You're moving right along. Keep the updates coming. ...
.... Ken ... You are making great progress and I like the track plan. ...
... Ken- Great work on the track plan and track work. It will give you a lot of shifting possibilities. ...
Gentlemen, thank you all for the kind words! I'm humbled...seriously!

Willie - nice job re-purposing the coal unloader! Cornerstone kits are great for stuff like that: I took the North Island Oil Refinery and converted it to a by-products facility for my coke ovens.

Chet - I have an old Athearn BB SW9 that looks almost exactly like yours, except it's dark green on the upper half instead of black. Sadly, it is languishing in a box in my attic; never had the time or skill to upgrade it like you did with yours...*sigh*

Curt - your flatcar underframes are looking mighty fine, I'm guessing that once the cars are finished you will be photographing them going over your bridge (looking upwards of course!)

Sherrell - hoping the hernia surgery goes well, we'll be praying for you!

Terry - bummer that you have to encounter clueless jerks like that, I guess some people when they get extra money assume they are like royalty and can do whatever the **** they want..!:mad:

Louis - I didn't remember until right after I posted that video, that you are more into Heavy Metal than C&W - but you gotta admit the song does an excellent job of conveying our sentiments!:cool:

Well...tomorrow I am supposed to call the County Courthouse to get detailed instructions on reporting for Jury duty on Wednesday - or maybe not? I suppose at the very least, it will be an interesting learning experience if they do end up using me...

Ken: Jury duty is always a learning experience. :rolleyes: Best senario is that they tell you to stay home. I like how your track plan for the Ford Plant is evolving.

Karl: I really like your Family portrait. SWMBO and a fine group of young men. Grand children are great, plus they come with parents.

Hmmmm ... Too quite this morning around here. How about a locomotive picture. I hope that I have not already posted this one?

View attachment 58568

Bright enough to get your attention!
Sherrel I don't remember If you posted that beauty before, but I won't mind if you post it several more times!

Winter is just around the corner, just think of all the fun it brings!

View attachment 58569

Mel
Mel I was just saying "I'm tired of this 90+ heat, I'll be glad when winter comes" Your post made me think, I should be careful what I wish for.

Since the family has left for their new home in Northern New York, the wife and I are re-adjusting to a quieter house without little people.
Boris I think I know how you feel. My youngest daughter just bought her first house and I miss her. She is only 10 minutes away, but I don't get to see her as much. The good thing is my grandson, her son is always asking "can I stay with poppy?" He has been with me since he was 6 weeks old. It's almost time to wake him to get ready for school. I don't know how I will handle it when he is not with me.

Good evening.
Most of you know I have a travel trailer, and work for an RV dealer. Today there was an incident at work involving some brand-new trailer owners, and some random guy in a pickup truck. I felt the need to let other owners of that brand of RV know what happened, and that this is not the first time it has happened.
I've copied the post in its entirety, for your reading pleasure:

"Today at work, something happened that is completely inexcusable, and is behavior that is unfortunately becoming more and more common, AND NEEDS TO STOP!

As I was conducting a new owner orientation with the purchasers of a brand-new $137,000 Airstream, we were interrupted by an individual that pulled up in front of the trailer with his truck, got out, walked over to the trailer, and began opening up storage compartments like he owned the thing. The new owners were shocked, to say the least. When I asked him, "can I help you?" his response was, "No, I am looking for an answer!" He then proceeded to inform me it was okay, because he owned an Airstream.

This behavior is NOT "okay" or even within the bounds of any kind of civility or common courtesy. This is exactly the same thing as walking into somebody's home, and opening closets, just to satisfy somebody's idle curiosity. IT IS NOT ANYONE'S PROPERTY, other than the legal owner, and NO ONE else has the right to do something like this. After the individual got back in his truck and left, I had to assure the new owners that was not normal behavior for an Airstream owner, that most of us are caring, polite people that respect other peoples' property. I don't know if they believed me or not, but the new owners immediately walked around the trailer with their new keys, making sure all the compartment doors, main door, and safe were securely locked.

It made me ashamed to admit I was a fellow Airstream owner.

For those people that are conscientious and considerate Airstream owners, this kind of behavior is a slap in the face, and another stereotype to overcome. I have lost count of the number of times people have, for example, blocked an entire parking lot, or demanded special consideration because they own an Airstream. Guess what? The rest of us own Airstreams, too, and we don't need this kind of "I own an Airstream, so I can do anything I want" attitude.

I hope the individual that did this is a forum member, and reads this, and thinks next time before he acts.

Everybody else, take a look in the mirror, and ask yourself, "is he talking about me?" If you know you aren't, and would never be one of these people, thank you.

If you think, "Hmmm... Maybe I've done something that might be seen this way..." You might want to change your ways. You're giving the rest of us a black eye. "
Terry was that from another forum?
You handled that well. My first reaction from reading it was "WTF?" When I was young my friends would say "he needs to be bitch slapped" We were a very politically incorrect bunch.

View attachment 58574

We got one of them here Mr. Weems! Bright enuff for ya?:D
Karl I like that one too, but I would like to see the red stripes on the nose. Add that project to your to do list. I expect in a year or 2 you may have time for it.

Good evening gang!
Another hectic 12 hour day is behind me. 4 more working days until the other writer in the office returns from a 2 week vacation....I IM her on facebook every day,,, counting down the days until he vacation is OVER!! Between that and eBay, my FIL's recent health issues, the house, SWMBO goes to HomeDepot like every other day and gets stuff,,,,,,I'ma goin a little nuts here!! :rolleyes:
Oh, and 12 days until I do the Cannonball run myself. Missouri and back in 3 days!:rolleyes: Good thing the rental van has cruise control!:rolleyes:

Terry I know whatcha mean about them Airstream owners. They ought to make them illegal to drive on sunny days, the reflections are enough to blind ya!:cool: <----- sunglasses required! No seriously I do know what you mean. I deal with Corvette owners. Even GM refers to them in one bulletin to dealers as "unique individuals". I could fill a book on 30 years of Corvette owners antics. Some of them truly believe they are the source for rosewater and unicorns.

View attachment 58576

I have an HO scale version of this I used to put on the modules at shows, when I was feeling particularly snarky!

Thanks to all that commented on the pic of SWMBO and I with the grandboys. 5 boys, 5 grandsons, no girls since SWMBO was born. She wants to put a bounty to be the paid to the 1st son that can produce a girl. I say invest it in brass locos instead! :rolleyes:

Later gang, 5 a.m. comes early!
Karl you have to relax, do your best and forget the rest or as I prefer to say "let God take care of the rest"

I always enjoy that Corvette sign :) Makes me thing of "little guys in big trucks" Is it me or do you notice that as well?

Tell your wife you already have a boys basketball team and you need some more boys to add depth to the bench. You are a very blessed/lucky man.

Louis - I didn't remember until right after I posted that video, that you are more into Heavy Metal than C&W - but you gotta admit the song does an excellent job of conveying our sentiments!:cool:

Ken you are right, my motto is "hard rock or no rock", but that is a great song! It's like Christmas music, it's all about the sentiment.

Thanks for sharing your work on your railroad. It is very interesting to me and others who know nothing about these kinds of layouts and the industry you have chosen is especially interesting for me.

Willie try not to worry too much about the stock market, it always comes back. One thing the stock market does not like is uncertainty and this presidential election is full of uncertainty. My future rests in the hands of the stock market and I try my level best to ignore it. Watching it day to day can make me nuts!

Good morning Everybody!

It's a beautiful morning in southeast Baltimore, but they say the heat and humidity will return.

I missed you all yesterday, you guys are like an extended family to me :)

Karl I was so busy Sunday I missed the end of the auction and lost out on the Lionel kits!!! I can't believe that Engine house went so cheap!!!

I may be AWOL more often, I'm feeling better and I have been productive for over half a day at a time for consecutive days. With no signs of regression. I have not done that in over 10 years. I'm thinking I need to make some money now! I have been brain storming over all these properties I am looking at, the equity they could bring me and what investments I could make with it. I may be back in business, but this time with my wife as the center piece and my Son's wife's prospects are looking great. It could be a very good next few years for us, God willing.

If I am absent don't worry, chances are it's a good thing. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be back!

Before I go I have to tell you, a great man called me Sunday, he offered me a fantastic deal on Lionel Goofy bobbing head boxcar. Unfortunately I am not a Disney fan, but to know he thought of me made my day! Our Phil is the great man, we are so lucky to have him for a friend. God bless us Everyone!

Have a great day Everybody!

Before I go look at this pretty girl I found on Facebook:
14039916_10202139983738021_4359915300343224902_n.jpg

Good morning y'all. 57°, and sunny.

That's one good looking E44, Louis. Photo also captures the ground slime found at all engine pits. Note the used drinking water bottle, recycled for governor oil, then discarded in place. :rolleyes: Then there is the unused coal tower in the background. It was cheaper to let them stand than to demolish them. The puddles of oily water, and oil saturated sand/stone. This is why a pair of boots lasted less than 6 months...

AL East is suddenly not looking good for the home team. Need to come back and win the next two or...

Today is my regular check-up at the Docs. While he is checking my progress or lack there of, I'm evaluating him to see if he is paying attention to my concerns...

15-PRSL6005CamdenNJ110753gf.jpg
PRSL Baldwin at Pavonia EH in Camden NJ. Note the ground slime and sand.

Good Morning All. 67° and clear skies here in North Central Texas this morning. Still staying busy with outdoor chores during this mild (65° - 90°) weather. Yesterday in the train shed I only ran trains and continued track testing. That and I read the latest MR and Trains.
Chet - One advantage of my wood-burner is that I don't have to split unless it's too large to get through the door. Whole logs burn slower and last longer. I like your recent photos not because of the locos so much, but because of the backgrounds.
Beady - I like it.
Sherrel - My aids are customized for each ear by the audiologist. That way I don't feel unbalanced when I actually listen. Nice picture. One thing that I noticed about Frisco when they ran by my place of work, was that they always had clean engines, even on freights.
Terry - Work aggravation. I'm so glad that I no longer have to put up with that kind of c**p. Did for many years though.
Louis -
Willie try not to worry too much about the stock market, it always comes back.
Worry I do not. I was just being hopeful. I only lost $5k Friday, but my wife thinks it's the end of the world. Made about half of it back yesterday.
It's good to hear that you are able to become more active lately. Keep it up but pace yourself.
Ken - I have a love/hate relationship with the Cornerstone kits. I love the fact that many of them are real railroad-sized industries, and there are a lot of extra leftover parts when you are done; but the instructions/diagrams leave an awful lot to be desired. That and the sprue connection points are sometimes in the worst places. I have made enough of them (30+ industries, 40+ other structures) to be able to anticipate and overcome almost all issues.

Still thinking of Eric.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning ....

I like the Frisco red and white paint scheme. I prefer colorful paint schemes instead of black painted diesel locos.

Karl ..... Feeling snarky?... You?.... LOL

Louis ... What?... Not a Disney fan ? .... Shhhhh.... Don't let Mickey hear you. .... The Pennsy electrics were impressive.

Joe.... That's an interesting Baldwin. It was good of you to point out the ground slime and sand because model railroaders should include such stuff as part of the scenery.

Willie ... You can't lose money in the stock market if you do not sell at a loss.

New York Central in Chicago..

NYCChi_zps05eae48a.jpg

Back