Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Karl, has anybody ever told that you and this guy resemble each other?

Terry,
No no one has, but it's the "men of a certain age" thing, where eyeglasses appear, hairlines recede, and hair color along with memories fade.
Bring it on, I ain't skeered! ;)

Louis, here is a video of how to properly start and EMD using the layshaft. The layshaft is the vertical bar in the video that you can see the engineer moving just before the motor starts. The compression release valves are the large wing-nut looking things on the side of the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxXpTtIl-g

Good Morning Gang. Cooled off considerably last night, it's 59° and clear with no wind. High today in the mid-80's then back to the 90's Monday. Busy evening in the Coffee Shop yesterday. You all don't go to bed as early as I do!
Out in the train shed, I installed ground throws and trimmed and shaved ties to insert into the gaps left when I removed them to join the flex-track. Having set aside the "Ashmore Hotel" structure for now, I started on another Walther's industry, "National Fuel Supply". It too suffers from the age-old Walther's "inadequate instructions/poor diagrams" syndrome that most of their kits exhibit. I did try spraying "DullCote" on the inside of the windows, a technique that I have read about but never tried. It did slightly frost them, but I won't know the final results until I light the interior later.
Garry - Great buffalo pictures. Did you take them? We used to pass a ranch north of Denton TX on IH35 that had a number of buffalo and longhorns on it. Ten years ago it was sold to a developer and is totally empty now, except for mesquite trees.
Curt - I haven't spoken to my wife in seven years...can't get a word in edgewise!:cool::cool::cool:
Terry -
You might be a tough guy if you use pepper spray as nasal decongestant...
I eat hot jalapeno salsa to clear the sinuses. Works better than nasal spray any day.
Karl - Good looking gang you have there.
Mel - Hoping that the CT scan continues to show good results. Wow, the trestle sure is coming along nicely.
Louis - They don't allow beans in competitive Chili Cook-Offs anywhere in the Southwest. Most people have a pot of pinto beans or black beans going on the side when they cook at home. If there are beans in the chili, it becomes "chili con frijoles", and is considered sub-standard.

Prayers continue to go out for Eric.
Let's all remember the fallen Americans, especially the first-responders, who perished 15 years ago today. I know that they will be remembered at Mass here shortly.

Willie

Terry,
No no one has, but it's the "men of a certain age" thing, where eyeglasses appear, hairlines recede, and hair color along with memories fade.
Bring it on, I ain't skeered! ;)
Do you by any chance know who that guy is?

The only thing besides our warped sense of humor he and I have in common, is we both now wear glasses...
He's probably best known for this:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing besides our warped sense of humor we both have in common, is we both now wear glasses...
He's probably best known for this:

No, I can't say anyone has compared me to Mr Spiner, I think I look more like his character in Independence Day than Data.

No, I can't say anyone has compared me to Mr Spiner, I think I look more like his character in Independence Day than Data.

The first picture I posted is pretty much how he looks in everyday life. "Out of character". Mist people wouldn't even recognize him if they were standing next to him, unless he said something.

Garry - Great buffalo pictures. Did you take them? We used to pass a ranch north of Denton TX on IH35 that had a number of buffalo and longhorns on it. Ten years ago it was sold to a developer and is totally empty now, except for mesquite trees.

Willie

Willie ... Yes, I took the photos. The location is Land Between the Lakes.
Mel ... I like the trestle very much.
Terry ... Interesting view about stating an SD40.
Karl ... very nice family photo.

Glad to hear the Windex did the trick. It's worth a try on the creosote. If it won't work; I mentioned it before, but I'll suggest it again a razor blade will get anything off of glass. My wife manages a Royal Farms store and they often make over 1000lbs of fried chicken on the weekend. The chicken case can be tough to clean, but a razor scrapper makes short work of it. I picked up that razor blade idea when I was working at Ryder.

I use SOS mini pads to clean the glass on our wood fireplace. They are the steel wool pads that have powdered soap in them. They do a good job on removing the creosote and don't scratch the glass.

For those that like a good read here is a link to an article in our local paper discussing the history of rail in our city. Winnipeg has been struggling in recent years to try and figure out how to deal with rail lines that run through the city. Because of urban sprawl a lot of these lines are causing major traffic tie-ups as well as taking up valuable land, and there has been a lot of discussion lately on whether it would be feasible to move them.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Life-beside-the-rails-392619011.html

Our memories of 9/11/2001
September 11, 2001.

Shelley and I were in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We spent the day watching the horrors on TV. About 50 trans-Atlantic flights landed in Halifax that day because US airports were closed. Canadians were very good at accommodating the thousands of stranded people.

We had flown via American Airlines from Nashville to Halifax with a change of flights in Boston on September 9th. Thinking back, we realized some of the 9/11 terrorists must have walked in the same airport only 2 days later. On September 10th, we were on a bus tour and learned of tragedies in the past affecting Nova Scotia. There was a Swiss Air crash off the coast a number of years prior. Many Titanic victims are buried in Halifax. In WW I a munitions ship exploded in the harbor which burned down the city and killed about 3000 people. .... We did not know, of course, we would be witnessing a major tragedy with our hotel TV the next day.

On September 12th, we decided we would return home as soon as we could. Flights were unavailable, and we really were afraid to fly at that time. We considered renting a car one-way to the US, but it would cost over $3,000 to do so at that time. We considered joining other people from the US who were going to charter a bus to Chicago. Finally, we decided to take the train. Several days later we road Via's Ocean to Montreal. Then we road a Via train to Toronto. (Via is Canada's rail system similar to Amtrak here.)

We spent the night at a Toronto hotel with plans to take the train to Windsor at the border with Detroit. We cancelled that plan when we learned highway border crossings into Detroit were taking about 12 hours. We stayed a second night in Toronto, and the next morning we boarded the Amtrak train which crossed through Michigan to Chicago. Where the train crossed the border to Port Huron, MI, all passengers had to get off the train to ride busses to go through immigration. There were very long lines on the highway entering Port Huron over the bridge. The train was several hour late after that.

When the train arrived at Flint, MI we got off, and we rented a car. We stopped in Detroit area briefly, and then drove to Nashville, TN. We picked up our car which had been parked at the airport all of that time, and we drove home.

Below are photos I took aboard VIA's Ocean from the dome observation car has we traveled home. We were leaving Nova Scotia :

VIA1.jpg

VIA2.jpg

Louis, here is a video of how to properly start and EMD using the layshaft. The layshaft is the vertical bar in the video that you can see the engineer moving just before the motor starts. The compression release valves are the large wing-nut looking things on the side of the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxXpTtIl-g
Thank you Terry, now my only question is what does the layshaft do?

Good Morning Gang. Cooled off considerably last night, it's 59° and clear with no wind. High today in the mid-80's then back to the 90's Monday. Busy evening in the Coffee Shop yesterday. You all don't go to bed as early as I do!
Out in the train shed, I installed ground throws and trimmed and shaved ties to insert into the gaps left when I removed them to join the flex-track. Having set aside the "Ashmore Hotel" structure for now, I started on another Walther's industry, "National Fuel Supply". It too suffers from the age-old Walther's "inadequate instructions/poor diagrams" syndrome that most of their kits exhibit. I did try spraying "DullCote" on the inside of the windows, a technique that I have read about but never tried. It did slightly frost them, but I won't know the final results until I light the interior later.

Louis
- They don't allow beans in competitive Chili Cook-Offs anywhere in the Southwest. Most people have a pot of pinto beans or black beans going on the side when they cook at home. If there are beans in the chili, it becomes "chili con frijoles", and is considered sub-standard.

Prayers continue to go out for Eric.
Let's all remember the fallen Americans, especially the first-responders, who perished 15 years ago today. I know that they will be remembered at Mass here shortly.

Willie

Substandard is fine with me, I love my beans. I was using kidney beans, but I switched over to black beans because I like them even better.

One of the good things about the Mid-Atlantic is we have foods from all over the country and the world. I pick and choose what I like best, I like it, I eat it, it's that simple for me.

I had not realized it was 9-11 thanks for pointing that out. I still can't watch video of the towers from that day or the days after. I become angry when I think of it. I have not seen any video of it since that morning after the second plane hit the towers and I realized it was no accident.

I am proud of President Bush for the restraint he showed. I would have had B52 flying sorties for weeks over every where in the world that was celebrating our loss. Nuclear weapons would have been to easy, to quick for them. I would have wanted the suffering only the B52 can bring. I know it is wrong to think that way, but I can't help how I feel, may God forgive me.

star-spangled-banner-poster-george-delany.jpeg

I had not realized it was 9-11 thanks for pointing that out. I still can't watch video of the towers from that day or the days after. I become angry when I think of it. I have not seen any video of it since that morning after the second plane hit the towers and I realized it was no accident.

I am proud of President Bush for the restraint he showed. I would have had B52 flying sorties for weeks over every where in the world that was celebrating our loss. Nuclear weapons would have been to easy, to quick for them. I would have wanted the suffering only the B52 can bring. I know it is wrong to think that way, but I can't help how I feel, may God forgive me.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OCHh52zvy...tar-spangled-banner-poster-george-delany.jpeg

Here y'go Louis, this one's for you - and anybody else here who truly loves our great nation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

Afternoon All,

Memories of 9-11. I had just transferred care of a patient in the ER and was walking through Triage on the way to the bathroom and everyone was staring at the TV. You could hear a pin drop. The first plane had just hit the WTC. I'm not ashamed to say I still get teary eyed when I see shows about that day. The world would never be the same.

I have a friend that I worked with for 8 years that was a FDNY EMT that day. Although he is the stereotypical New Yorker, on this day he shuts down and he never talks about that day. I always let him know that I am thinking of him on 9-11.

Today I did some chores this morning then worked on the flat cars for 90 minutes which is my limit mentally when working on something small like the flat cars. I found out yesterday that I am getting 2 Walthers scale stations! Because my kids didn't talk to each other both ordered one. So much for trying to save them $$$.

Louis- We don't get Utz chips locally. My daughter loves the shrimp chips so when we travel we try to pickup a couple bags for her. I totally understand how you feel. I am right there with you. I don't know, if we had carpet bombed maybe we wouldn't be having the issues we are having now from that region.

Karl- Nice looking family.

Mel- Awesome looking bridge. Excellent scratch building.

Terry- Excellent video.

Eric- Saying prayers for you.

This sure doesn't look like 2.5 hours of work.

20160911_132749_zpsf6unaotu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just checking in for a couple of minutes. Was up late last night watching the NASCAR race and didn't get home till late. This morning our little doxie thought it was time to get up and feed her. She'll slowly walk up along sid eyou and then start licking you in the face that will get you up.

Went over to the daughters house for a while for the grand daughters birthday and then finally got down into the train room for a while. Ran trains for abit and then I started getting things together to bring back upstairs to my new work bench. I have quite a few projects planned but when I was getting ready to start on one, I realized that everything was packed away when we did the remodel. Sooo, now I have to go and forage around in different locations and sort out the model railroad supplies. Oh well. Maybe I'll find something that I didn't know I had again.

[FONT=&quot]Karl - [/FONT]Good looking family. Nice photo.

[FONT=&quot]Mel - [/FONT]The trestle is looking good. Can't wait to see it installed on your layout.

[FONT=&quot]Garry - [/FONT]The photos from the dome car bring back many good memories of riding on the North Coast Limited. We have plenty of bison up here, in fact too mant. Some are roaming out of Yellowstone park and can cause numerous problems.

Later

Louis, the layshaft is a manual throttle lever for the engine. You push it toward the engine to speed it up, and pull it back to slow it down.

Winter must be coming. Halloween candy is in the stores, and I jut saw an ad on TV for propane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back