New Layout for LASM

I like it a lot. I have been messing around with the "momentum" (delay dial) and find it adds a lot of realism to the operation. Also, being able to stand in different areas and operate the train dependably.

no regrets!

GML transformer 025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have installed a number of extra jacks to plug into at different locations around the layout and really have enjoyed the throttle a lot. I use the momentum some times, but the throttle has such great low speed control that I very seldom use it. I figured you would enjoy it once you got used to it.

I ran my new p2 GP 18's have some photos, also added the w and mile marker signs. The mile signs are at my block demarkations, help me keep track of my block wiring. The w just prior to crossings, got them direct from Tichy and got fast shipping also saved a lot on postage:

landscape1 001.jpg

landscape1 003.jpg

up close it looks like I need a little india ink to tone them down, however they are new installations

landscape1 004.jpg

I really like the leaves on those super trees. All the shading is natural and I used only one color leaf material

landscape1 005.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looks real good Dave. I always liked the paint scheme of the CNW. Back in the 60's when I was going to US Naval schools in Great Lakes, IL, I would take the CNW from Waukeegan, IL to Chicago where I would transfer to the South Shore Line to visit relatives in Indiana when I didn't feel like driving. Nice looking locomotives.

As always Dave, it looks great. Have to go back and catch up on all the stuff I have missed though, have missed following your projects, ideas and info.

Chet, Tony, Lloyd: THANKS!; upon further inspection I notice the bottom of the third photo displays a couple rabbits and the dog on their scent!

Flange signs to mark turnout locations. To easily determine which turnout is associated to which switch, I decided to purchase a group of flange signs from Tichy and color code them to the appropriate location.

I got tired of counting and doing trial and error in determining which switch went with which remote turnout, and first I was going to put signs with numbers or letters, but decided to go with a coded flange to easily understand which one to throw.

From some research , these types of signs prototypically demarked the switch location so the snowplows would not damage the switch:

A couple prototypical images:

flange sign 1.jpg

Here is my control center with the "key"

flange 004.jpg

and here is how it looks on the layout:

flange 007.jpg

I have a map too, but this works in a quick glance.

Thanks, Chet. I am going to have to say the layout if officially done. Kind of a sad day, in a way, considering I am more of a builder than an operator.

I think there will be one last video.

My 3rd interview with the new position I am applying for is next week and I am hopeful that I will be getting offered the job which means the entire layout will either come down or go with the new owners. I will be keeping all the rolling stock and am planning a new layout.

thanks again, Dave LASM

Good luck on the new job. I am assuming that you will be moving if you get the job. It will be a shame to have to tear down the layout.

Good luck on the new job. I am assuming that you will be moving if you get the job. It will be a shame to have to tear down the layout.

The job is about 120 miles from here, so it would mean a move. It would be possible to disassemble the layout into 3 pieces, but it would be very difficult. When we know more about the job I may put it on ebay for 1$ and the buyer would have to remove the entire works.

Better yet, the new owner of our house may take a liking to it and we can leave it in place!!!!

David the layout is fantastic, the realism is first rate and all the details make it even better.

I wish you well in your new job, I am confident you will get it.

Hopefully the new owner of the house will be a train person.

Don't be sad, you will just have to build another layout!

David the layout is fantastic, the realism is first rate and all the details make it even better.

I wish you well in your new job, I am confident you will get it.

Hopefully the new owner of the house will be a train person.

Don't be sad, you will just have to build another layout!

Thanks, Louis; you always seem to brighten up my day!

Hi Guys, well I got the new job so the layout is coming down!! Many of the larger buildings will not survive a moving operation, and we will be moving into a smaller house, so I would like to figure out a way to get these to a good home (not be resold on ebay).

I reached out to Dairy State Dad because I know he lives in Wisconsin and is building a new layout. Anyone else within driving distance interested in trading something for: buildings, trees, whatever can be removed.

I will be keeping some of the smaller buildings and the rolling stock for use on my next, more compact, layout.

Glad to see that you got you new job, but it is a real shame that you have to tear down your layout, but life move forward.

Good luck on you move.

Hi Dave

New job, Congrats
New house, Congrats
Losing a nice layout, Dissapointing

BUT, maybe a new scale such as N or even Z, it would be nice to read a thread on building a Z scale layout

Back