WPF for 27 November to o3 December

V&AL, nice setup on the crash scene. Now all you need is the hazmat guys in the space suits until they make sure the area is clear. :) I liked the video with the four engines and six cars too.

"New" and old. After shooting this, I'm tempted to paint those E-60's in Tuscon Red instead of V&AL green and blue, and make 'em heritage units.
DSC05787.jpg

you just gave me another idea for my custom project series!! :D

Gave these two loco's to my nephew over twenty years ago, and he gave them to me the other day for my birthday...I cleaned and lubricated both of them, checked the wiring and tried them out...Both run extremely well...There are a few missing or broken parts on the shell of the CN loco which I will attempt to replace or fix...They make an absolutely awesome addition to my layout.

P1020558.jpg

P1020560.jpg

Thought that everyone would like to see the rack that I built to hold Evergreen strips this afternoon. There will be a second identical rack for the rods/shapes that will have to wait till next week. I used thin wall PCV pipe cut to 13" lengths to allow the Evergreen to stick out slightly so it is easier to grab. This rack is for full strips only, smaller pieces go elsewhere.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Started a railroad machine shop in O scale, this piece will have a full interior with all of the Western Scale machinery from the Sierra RR shop included. I will do a build thread on this in the structures section.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

And last a progress shot of the Cranberry Iron Works. This is in Sn3. This side of the piece is against the backdrop on the client's layout, makes for some fun modeling cutting each truss and rafter off at an angle.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Last edited by a moderator:
Highly creditable modelling, Matt. Very nice work. :) I especially like the last image. It would be great to see that with lots of overgrown shrubs and even trees hanging over it, as one would stumble upon a scene off a backwoods trail.

-Crandell

I didn't get a whole lot done this week, you think with five days off something would get done, but that didn't seem to be the case. I had two days of Thanksgiving festivities, and spent the day yesterday at the club running trains (and forgot my camera). I did manage to get the lighting finished for this F7A unit. Here it is crossing Cedar Creek. (I know you cannot see the lights, that photo didn't turn out.)

15849_509450820475_116400015_30380005_5042806_n.jpg

@V&AL: Love that "We will deliver -but when?" scrawled on the side of that UP engine. I once heard a story about someone who worked at UP who gauged the health of the economy and invested in the stock market based on the length of the trains...

@Jeff: How bright of a light did you use to light up those houses?

Here are a couple of a couple recent dresser-top displays:

This train puts the High in High Speed. ;)
20091128_hippie-highspeed.jpg

20091111-highspeed-station.jpg

@Jeff: How bright of a light did you use to light up those houses?
The lights aren't very bright. They're visible in a dark room and are hard to pick out when the room lights are on. They appear bright in the photos because the camera is set for a night shot with no flash with the shutter open for 2.5 seconds.

I have been working on the club layout on this section for about a year now. when I joined the club last fall this aera had nothing more than the backdrop wall board,frame work to support the 3 track mainline and the spur track that heads up hill to the round house on the other side of the wall board. I have done about 98% of all the work that is seen in the pics. Its far from done but is taking shape. I need to finish the retaining wall and add a some backdrop photos then can start adding all the details.

here are a few more.

the photo of the underpass hides a little secret. I used a mirror to mimic a larger city beyond the bridge.

Trent, looks like you've mad a lot of progress. I love that old Heljan oddly shaped corner building. I've got one on my layout too. Can you take another shot of exactly how you located the mirror? It's undetectable in your photo.

Matt, an O scale turret lathe? Holy cow, you have the patinece of a saint. :) There's no way I could ever get the angles right on the iron works either. Great idea about that stacked PVC tubes. I've been using empty paper towel rolls but your idea is a lot better.

Smiley, "high" speed indeed. :D

Adam, nice trestle scene. If you get some diaphrams and some shorter shank couplers, that F unit lashup will really look spiffy.

SW, looks like you've got track, tunnels, and bridges running everywhere in that little scene. Nice shot.

Gary, is that CP F unit an old Bachmann F-9? Id you got it to run smooth, you're a better man than me. I have one that was used as the mechanism for an old Gem brass model and I've tried every trick I know to get it to run well enough to convert to DCC and it still runs like a piece of junk. :(

Jeffrey, nice railfan shot.

Here's a picture of what's going into the car exchange. It's an original Roundhouse caboose that I modified and detailed for my last layout, built in 1972. The back story is the A&P is owned by the same shortline operator as the Prattville an Northern. It's the only survivor of my model railroading days back then.

100_1739.jpg

The boys have been at work putting up the Christmas lights in the courthouse trees. Next come hanging the wreaths on the streetlights and stringing the lights across the streets.

100_1741.jpg

Jim, nice job on that Sunrise mill, behind the caboose. Your downtown scene reminds me of our local towns, helps to get in the Christmas mood.:)DJ.

UP2CSX
Fleeing from Al

Gary, is that CP F unit an old Bachmann F-9? Id you got it to run smooth, you're a better man than me. I have one that was used as the mechanism for an old Gem brass model and I've tried every trick I know to get it to run well enough to convert to DCC and it still runs like a piece of junk.

Yes it is a Bachmann....I think it runs quite well for it's age...It does not however, run well at slow speeds and is quite noisy, but the cleaning and lubricating made quite a difference.

Back