WPF for 27 November to o3 December

Selector

I dont' see it yet, so if falls to me to kick it into gear.

A N&W excursion in the highlands near Seneca Falls.

IMG_6308csharadj.png

Thanks for starting, Crandell, with an excellent scene and photo. That's a beautiful locomotive!

All Alcos: RS1, RS3, RSD15, RS27, and FA2-FB2. DJ.

P1040295.jpg

Whoooooooooooo

Great start!

Selector, Great shot/pics/model/scenery/lighting as always:):D

GrampysTrains Thanks for starting, Crandell, with an excellent scene and photo. That's a beautiful locomotive!

All Alcos: RS1, RS3, RSD15, RS27, and FA2-FB2. DJ.

Oh boy oh boy! OH BOY! OH BOY! The RS27. Can we see the RS27?
Can we, can we, can, we, can, we, can we, can we, pleeeeeeeeeaase!

Just one tiny little shot...

:):D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for posting guys

(and happy b'day to my bro if he is browsing thru here. Congrat on the big 47;))

Crandell, a beautiful shot of that J, as usual.

DJ, that's quite a line up of Pennsy power. I just wish they had something other thean that "Brunswick Green" paint scheme. At least the pinstripes gave them a little color.

Josh, great video. Been to that same spot many times. I'm surprised the train wasn't wreathed in brake smoke. :)

Here's some railfanning shots...

I passed through Cajon Pass on the 25th, going to a friends house in Rosemond CA (near Lancaster & Palmdale), and stopped to shoot trains. After sitting at summit for a good 45 minutes I realized why 3 units went downhill. Seems a train on Main 2 (center track) stalled out. As they slowly ground their way to Summit, two trains passed on Mains 1 and 3 (Right for main 1 & Left for main 3).

BNSF 7442 passes BNSF 1111 on Main 1.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=305337&nseq=1

BNSF 7526 passes on Main 3, at Summit, 7526 will cross to main 2 to bypass #1111's Sounthbound train stored on Main 3 while the head end units rescued the stalled train.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=305338&nseq=0

First day of a 2 day open house at the PVRR... lotsa good stuff runnin, but I only managed to get pics of my own stuff... (yea, I'm biased.. can ya blame me??)

PRR GP-30/SW-7B:
DSC05783.jpg

DSC05782.jpg

UP 3985 getting some help from a Big MAC. (the graffiti on the 'MAC is prototypical... I remember seeing it in a pic somewhere... either one I shot in Highschool, or one I saw in TRAINS magazine about the same time frame.)

DSC05774.jpg

DSC05775.jpg

DSC05776.jpg

DSC05778.jpg

V&AL Electrics over powering a road-railer. The 2 units in primer are part of the Fred's Locomotive Shop Quik-Fix program. They will eventually return and get a decent coat of paint like the green and blue unit.

DSC05770.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

And finally... a vid of the 3985 on the Road Railers. The MAC is a dummy, and the 3985 is DC only... but it is on the priority list for sound (Dear Santa...)

th_MOV05779.jpg

Thanks. Great shots, guys.
Jim, I agree, but the PRR was conservative in their color schemes to a fault.
MLW, this one's for you.

Alco RS27 No. 2408 passing SC tower.

P1020813.jpg

So, while out shooting, it looked like a long line of GE ES44DC & Dash 9's was all I was going to get.

Out of the units, popped an EMD SD70ACe, getting more shots of these as time goes by!
View attachment 16456

Then I shoot more, get home, start editing photos and and notice I shot BNSF 6616. For those of you who are spun up with modern diesel, MIGHT recognize this unit as a "special" unit.
View attachment 16457

BNSF 6616 is one of 25 GE ES44C4's. These units are ES44AC's with 4 traction motors and an non-powered axle in the center of each truck.

Spotting lesson follows...
The ES44C4 can be spotted easy now, BNSF 6600-6624. Once other railroad receive the ES44C4, they can be spotted by the cylinders on the truck sideframes. A standard ES40/44 (both AC & DC) has 2. The ES44C4 has 4. The two center ones are high/low. These two cylinders actuate the variable height of the center axle. This "technology" is a new look at traction control. Raising the center axle allows more weight to be placed on the two outer powered axles. The axle is only raised minimally, it never leaves contact with the rail.
End lesson...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some fantastic shots here. In addition to being eye candy, these pics help us newbies out with scenery and details. Keep 'em coming.;)

Josh, those are some more nice videos. Looks like you had a windy, dry day up there. Thanks for the spotting lesson too. In addition to the brake cylinder placement, it looks like the trucks have a strange looking pair of pants beneath the axle bearings.

DJ, I think the Pennsy believed they were still running steam engines right up until the end. :) Really, I can't think of any other railroad that didn't try at least one flamboyant color scheme with the advent of diesels.

V&AL, interesting calf and cow combination you have there. That grafitti on the UP unit is hilarious. :D

Grampys, Just noticed even your whistleboard, if that's what that is, has the same shape as the PRR logo. Amazing detail.... At kcs we have good ol boring square concrete polls.

Jim- The other side has "Someday" spray painted on it... not necessarily prototypical, but I'm sure some smart*ss painted that too along the way...

Here's some more pics from today at the club:

A Cab Forward goes for a spin:
DSC05813.jpg

My TGV makes a stop at the Fon Du Lac station. (I was making the station stops to gap the trains so I could fly down the Kaukauna straightaway at high speed...)
DSC05789.jpg

FRA Inspector Graham on the Upper Loop:
DSC05791.jpg

The "Big One": A double header steam coal drag ignored repeated radio orders to stop and struck the rear end of my stopped intermodal being led by UP 3985. (there was no real damage.) The semi on the road swerved to avoid the wreck and wound up on his side.
Picture taken by a railfan shooting the 3985:
DSC05796.jpg

The Fire Department, Sherrif, and Inspector Graham are now on scene:
DSC05801.jpg

DSC05804.jpg

News Chopper 10 on station with aerial coverage:
DSC05799.jpg

"New" and old. After shooting this, I'm tempted to paint those E-60's in Tuscon Red instead of V&AL green and blue, and make 'em heritage units.
DSC05787.jpg

And finaly some videos:

3985 having some slight issues (blocked sand tubes) coming out of the tunnel:
th_MOV05812.jpg

Too much power, too little train:
th_MOV05815.jpg

The odd pair responding to the "Big One"
th_MOV05816.jpg

Back