WPF for 16 - 23 October

CharlesH, that newstand really has character! Nightime lighting really shows off all the stuff inside. Good work!

Jeffrey, nice job on those rear grab irons.

Corey, you lucky dog. Getting to ride behind the 4449 on a typical fall day with a beautiful wife who also likes trains. :D

Ray, those two layouts are stupendous. If I was the engineer on that dinky, I'd take it real slow around that curve. :) The HO layout is amazingly well sceniced for something that large. The yard, harbor, and ore dock are fantastic. I belonged to a club with a big layout that was maybe half that size. It was a full time job just chasing after everything that broke. I wonder how they keep it all going? Nice Alco too.

Charles, outstanding work on the newstand. I'm glad the rainstorm didn't get it. I think a few of those magazines might be old Photoplays?

In honor of the blue box, here are a couple:

SBFA Freightliner built from an Athearn blue box Freightliner kit:

large.jpg

On the bench, Mopac 2020 and 2126, both from Athearn blue box GP38-2s:

large.jpg

Jeffrey, tell the guy that did the grabs he does nice work. :)

Ryan, nice kitbashing on the truck and engines. I can see that kind of kitbashing from BB kits going on for many years, even decades, to come. I'm sure some of the RTR line have been used for kitbasing the same types of things, models that will never be made for the prototype or adding details that the RTR model never included.

Jim, I couldn't agree more. I have built dozens of locos over the years using blue box units. These two are nearly 20 years old, and the one with traces of yellow will be on its fourth paint/detail job. The Athearn Freightliner has been a great source of kitbashing possibilities for me since I was a teenager. This is my second SBFA conversion using the Athearn model. I've made at least half a dozen day cabs out of that truck over the years, too.

Josh, I hope they look good, because it's been expensive. I've been collecting the parts for a couple years now. As soon as I can get the tread plate and steps to show up at the LHS, I'll be able to move forward to the paint/decal/weathering stage. I'm really looking forward to that.

Well, I finally got time to take some pictures.

Here's the JTEX leased ex-UP SW1500 pulling a Southern covered hopper from the yard to head for the interchange track. The boys grubbing out the ditches aren't paying it much attention.

100_1725.jpg

The P&N tried the leased SW1500 on the downtown spur but clearances were a little tight so the #638 still has useful employment. Here it's squeezing between buildings and traffic to get two carbon black hoppers to the paint factory.

100_1729.jpg

Downtown traffic has to wait until the 638 gets her loads down Main St. At least the city finally got that stimulus money to install traffic lights, which flash amber all ways when the 70 tonner is coming through. Brakeman Ricky is still on the front platform, keeping a wary eye out for pedestrians and cars.

100_1730.jpg

Downtown traffic starts moving again now that the 638 is safely off the street, uncoupling the two loads. It'll start all over again when she heads back for the yard.

100_1731.jpg

The UP local heads into town, with a grungy MP15AC in the lead. Ther's just enough room between the church and the cut for the mainline. That Rico guy sure tags a lot of cars. :)

100_1732.jpg

Jim, I really like that second photo. All of them are nice, but that second one is as close to real as I've seen. The only thing that gives it away to me is the shiny tree on the left. That, and the fact that you can't walk down the sidewalk.:) Great work!

It was worth the wait, Jim. Very creditable modelling and imagery!! :D I agree with Corey about the second being my favourite, but the rest are none too shabby.

-Crandell

Jim, nice photos of some excellent modeling! I have to agree with the others, that 2nd. photo is fantastic. Great work on the street, BTW...

Wow some very nice stuff this week!
I have nothing to contribute, I'll have to get busy this week I suppose.

Jim... who is that guy you speak of tagging all those cars? ;)

Corey, nice photos of your trip.
Ray, looks like you also had a great time on your trip.
Charles, nice job on the news stand.
Ryan, great looking truck and loco detail.
Wow, Jim, you sure know how to detail a town scene. #1, Do you have Prince Albert in a can? Well, let him out. :p. I really like the signs in all your scenes, esp the Eshleman's sign. My dad retired from the Eshleman's feed mill in Lancaster, Pa. All the trees and brick streets in your town is a nice touch. DJ.

Thanks, guys.

Corey, LOL, those sidewalks would be an obstacle course. In retrospect (and if I had enough room), I would have made both the sidewalks and streets twice as wide but selective compression is needed when you only have 28" to work with. I do need to dullcote that tree trunk though. When you take a picture at street level, all the warts show up. :)

Crandell, I'm still nowhere near your level of perfection but I appreciate the kind words.

Ray, some guys like engines, some guys like freight cars...I like streets. :) I see a pothole that needs fixing and that yellow stripe by the stop sign needs some cleaning up too. Never noticed the tree limb in the gutter until I took that picture either, even though I vacuumed the street.

Rico, I don't know who he is but he's using your name. :D

DJ, thanks also. I love detailing street scenes. Most modelers never have enough signs when real towns are plastered with them. A lot of small towns also have shade trees on all the streets, including downtown. I grew up on a brick street so I've always liked them. Interesting that some towns are now putting down concrete and cutting and painting it to look like brick. I think that Eshleman's sign came from a Blair Line sheet. And, no, I don't have Prince Albert in a can, so stop calling. ;)

Heres a couple pics of some more of my stuff...

-First picture is of a bunch of old F, E, and whatever else may be there, units I have had for quite some time...all of them are ongoing projects haha..however the only one that runs is the Lehigh Valley loco...and that barely moves lol

-Second one is of an ADM tank car I splatered with brown paint to add a sort of muddy weathered look to it..kinda haha

-The third shot is of an old DT&I covered hopper, also its one of my first weathering attempts..

-And finally a picture of my new Norfolk Southern Dash 8-40C :cool: passing empty coal cars in storage and a small string of Providence and Worcester Dash 8-40B's

uhh also quick question..how does everyone get there pics that large in there posts? hah..the only way i know how to post picture is by making them attachments...im still a bit of a newb :eek:

-Nate

Use Photobucket.com for image hosting.
Absolutely! Go to Photobucket.com and register for a free account. Once you have the account upload your photos from your computer to Photobucket. When you want to post a photo someplace just go to your Photobucket account, right click the IMG tag line beneath the photo thumbnail and copy it to your browser. Come back to the site you want to post the photo in and right click and paste the IMG tag into the document or post. After you've done it a few times it's easier than falling off a log.

why?! photobucket is ad ridden cr...p, lacking functionality. just like snap fish. i'll even take google pics for free hosting over those.

www.fotki.com
when you upgrade to premium acc (you can sign up for a free year) besides sharing, hosting, awesome print services, you get unlimited storage space. can you say backup of all pictures in ful resolution (not compressed to shit) you ever make?
i pushed over 15Gb mark and i don't care about HDD crash or CD's lost and broken. if you like taking picture, at 30$ regular (or 20$ during promotion )a year, i can't find anything better.

they do very poor advertising and relatively unknown, thats true.

Back