WPF for 16 - 23 October

Chris,

I was able to purchase the locomotive, ride on car & a gondola with some track & other pieces from the son of the original owner, who is now deceased. If you want to know more, start by checking out www.discoverlivesteam.com That will get your blood pumping!!

Regards,

You wanted pics, here's your pics!!!
Got around to adding the roof decals from the Microscale Amtrak Phase IV sheet. I only need the roof decals and some other stuff. So i'll have almost all the decals left from these sheets.
PITA to get the little ones to stay straight.
AthearnPRRroofdecals.png

AthearnPRRroofdecals2.png

After countless emails with Athearn about which part # was correct for the dynamic brakes, and them finally getting annoyed with me they shipped one free of charge. Well what a difference from the old BB to the RTR one. See thru fans, partially see thru exhaust stack. Added the lift rings today.
AthearnSD40T-2dynamicbrakeandhorn.png

Also installed my Details West horn stand and Details West P5 horn to match the prototype.
AthearnSD40T-2dynamicbrakeandhorn2.png

AthearnSD40T-2dynamicbrakeandhorn3.png

AthearnPRRroofdecallineup.png

All thats left with the P40 shells is to finish adding the underbody details on one of the frames, then painting those 2 detailed frames and truck sideframes. Order a few more super detailing kits for the P40 so I can do the rest of the underbody.
Also need to do some piping on the tunnel motor from the tanks to the air dryer, add the fuel tank piping and fillers. Re-prime the area's that have been sanded or new parts added. Then paint it in NYSW black and yellow.

i think its imageshack.com that i used a few times. That site was riddled with spam, ads, pop ups. I couldn't post links to show anyone my pictures cause it would cause them to get all this trash.

I have also noticed that on some other sites where users have used imageshack that the images are VERY slow to load, almost like dial-up.

I also use PB and it works fine for me. The added editing tools are also useful on occasion.

Trent, did you relocate the existing LED or add a new LED to the headlight housing? I'd be interested in details since I'm not happy with the headlight on my 2-8-0 either.

Steve, you wonder how many warning signs it takes before a railroader knows the lifting bail is just for lifting the cover off? :) Nice job on getting all the tiny decals on though. Really nice work with the new set of dynamic brakes and the DW horn. It is amazing how much Athearn has done to improve the tooling on the RTR units.

Trent, did you relocate the existing LED or add a new LED to the headlight housing? I'd be interested in details since I'm not happy with the headlight on my 2-8-0 either.

Jim

What I did was remove the boiler from the wheels then pulled the weight,motor assy out of the shell. remove the 3 screws that hold the weight halfs together. this gets you access to the stock LED.

I took the stock LED and wire and found that I could get about another 1/4"+ of wire length if I removed the wire knot that Bachman used to tie all the electrica stuff near the teather at the rear of the loco. now remove the head lamp housing and remove the clear lense in it or drill out to the led size (3mm?). At this time I also trimmed the headlight mounting bracket so that the headlamp housing sits closer to the door. This will help hide the wires from the rear of the led. I then took the shell and pushed out the little reflector tube out of the smoke box door.I drilled the fire box door to 3mm so that the LED can just barley fit through to get into the head light housing. When you assemble the loco you guide the led through the fire box door first then get the weights all the way into its resting place in the shell. if done right the LED should have that little extra length to reach the headlight housing. I used a new LED bulb as the stock was too orange for me . just removed the old LED and solded in the new leads. I did not have to cut wires. I think I used a yellowish tint LED?? I pained the rear of the led black so that it cant reflect rearwards on the fire box door. I think it looks alot better than stock. took me about an hour or so.

hope this helps
Trent

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use PB and it works fine for me. The added editing tools are also useful on occasion.

Steve, you wonder how many warning signs it takes before a railroader knows the lifting bail is just for lifting the cover off? :) Nice job on getting all the tiny decals on though. Really nice work with the new set of dynamic brakes and the DW horn. It is amazing how much Athearn has done to improve the tooling on the RTR units.

Jim, those tools do come in handy. But that other thread about airbrushing my truck. I had that one pic with my plate in it. I edited it in PS with there tools, saved it and got rid of the original. Posted the new link but it posted the same un-edited pic.

I messed up on warning sign on the rear by the fans. It wouldn't stick to the paint for some reason but stuck to my fingers. And in the decal sheet there are 1 more setof warning decals but I have no idea where they go. Hopefully i'll be able to work on getting the PRR keystone on the sides of all of them and the nose and then getting PENNSYLVANIA across the sides of them all.

Trent, thanks for the detailed instructions. They will go in my file for new projects. I've got some 3mm "Golden Glow" LED's that are supposed to simulate the incandescent bulb and reflector of non-sealed beam headlights. They look good off and, when I bench tested one, it was at least twice as bright as the stock Bachmann headlight. I'll follow your instructions and use that for a replacement. I'm also going to add a brass headlight visor if I can find where I put that danged .001 inch sheet brass I bought. :confused:

Steve, your picture with license plate showed up with it bloocked by a swirl when you edited the thread. I don't know if you edited the pic before you uploaded it to PB but it shows up right for me. I've done some editing to in PB and never had a problem getting it to stick when I posted the pic here. Those little decals are always a pain. I never use my fingers with them. Try a toothpick moistened with whatever decal setting solution you're using and slide the decal off the sheet and position it with that. Little decals around fingers almost always mean you get a nicely decaled finger. :D

sounds good Jim,
if you need a detail pic of what I did to the housing or door just let me know. Its a pretty simple job. Only thing I dont like is that the LED gives off a real bright glare. you cant get a camera real close to it as it just blares out the picture. I need to see if I cant get this Stock bachmann/Tsunami Decoder to dim the head light....one thing is for sure.. you cant miss seeing it when its coming at you!

Those little decals are always a pain. I never use my fingers with them. Try a toothpick moistened with whatever decal setting solution you're using and slide the decal off the sheet and position it with that. Little decals around fingers almost always mean you get a nicely decaled finger. :D

I was able to work with the tiny decals again tonight without fuss. I put on 4 more tiny decals on the roofs. I have to cut out the others from the second amtrak decal sheet. Im going to check and see if microscale has a decal sheet for GE disels that might have those warning lables on them. This way I dont have to buy a amrak sheet. Also added the tiny PRR keystone on the noses of my A units and smaller PRR keystones on the B units. And one side has the Pennsylvania on it. Starting to look real good!!!! :D

My BOSCO "Sorfeetz Brothers" figures came in today. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Sorfeetz brothers, they're an attraction from the late John Allen's layout, a scene at "hangman's bridge" will forever immortalize them. BOSCO produced replicas of Gordo and Mitad, and will soon be releasing Pequeno "uncle" Sorfeetz along with the retired diesel salesman who was the victim of Sorfeetz gang, at hangman's bridge.

Review up tonight...

LOL, Josh, I had forgotten all about those guys until you posted the pictures. I'm not sure they are politically correct today but John Allen made them into a great little scene on the old G&D.

Back