Who all is shunning DCC and staying Analog control?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Espeefan

I did see at MB Klein's the other day the NCE silent decoder that replaces the D13SRJ 9 pin, now smaller and called just D13J at just under $19 each. Hmmmmmmm? let's see 300 @ $19 = $5700. No problemo!

P.S. Have they had run on them since I looked, no singles left, but a couple of the 4 packs (works out to $17.50 ea. and the 10 packs @ $16.40 ea.) The 4's are identified as D13J-4 and the 10's as D13J-10.
Was there a rule that stated you had to buy all of your decoders at the same time? If there was I missed the memo. ;) I have quite few locomotives myself and not all are DCC equipped. Of those that are even fewer are run regularly. Many are conversions of older brass which also require remotoring. You eat the elephant one bite at a time. :) There is also good reason not to take the plunge, as has been state above. For myself, the low voltage performance on DCC blows away that of straight DC. Especially important with steamers. I also like control of the features, but to each his own.

I have seen hybrid and I have seen single track with a DPDT toggle to switch between analog and DCC before. But the ONLY reason I would think about changing over is sound. BUT, in my small 9 foot by 9 foot room, sound is overwhelming for me. Even with the volume on the lowest settings it gets overwhelming in just a few short min. This is one reason I replaced my motive power with quiet running Overland/Ajin brass over the older coffee grinders I used to buy cheap. So rather than have a fleet, I have a small and more prototypical shortline roster, with really nice engines! I am using a MRC Railine 370 for main line power, and a MRC Cab1 fascia mounted throttle with a laptop power supply feeding it for the future engine service area so I can move engines while the main line is running. Block control thru Atlas selector switches. I hope to eventually find a pristine MRC Controlmaster XI for the mainline to gain the meters and momentum/brake control. The last couple I found were not "clean" enough. Mike

NP2626

I like my DCC! I have no problem with those staying with DC, I was DC for the first 12 years of having my current layout, so I understand both ways. I simply like DCC for it's multi-faceted additions to my enjoyment of my hobby. I love sound and the fact that it really adds a new dimension to operating. In fact, I still have my GML throttle set-up, so I can run DC locomotives if I want. I dislike the fact that these types of threads seem to want to drive a wedge between the two operating systems. You like one type over the other, is simply a personal choice, nothing more!

malletman wrote:
"most times I get very confused when trying to program and set up engines, even basic consisting baffles me..."

Looking at the "20th century style" dcc controllers that look like old Texas Instrument scientific calculators, I would get all confused, too (even moreso than I normally am!).

Take a careful look at one of the 21st-century "graphical" dcc control interfaces. There are several available, but my favorite (and the one I use) is the Roco z21 wifi system.

The z21 app can be run from almost any handheld device that runs Android or iOS -- smartphone, tablet, I can even run it from my old Samsung Galaxy Player (which wasn't "a phone", just a music player). Will also run from any computer, PC or Mac.

Setup and programming couldn't be easier.
An example is changing the programming number of an engine.
Do this on a "pushbutton/wired" controller, and don't you have to start doing calculations with CV values? Why bother with that stuff?

Do it on the z21 like this:
1. Put loco on track
2. Hit "read number" button on z21 (it reads the number)
3. Enter any number you wish in the text block (1 to 4 digits)
4. Hit "program"
5. Done in 2 seconds.

Want to switch the engine you're controlling on the fly?
What do you have to do with a pushbutton controller?
Do something like "type the number in"? Why bother with that stuff?

On the z21:
1. Look at the images of engines on the bottom, flip left or right to scroll the display if you need to.
2. Touch the pic of the engine you want
3. Done in 1 second.

Trying to remember what button activates what function?
Why bother with that stuff?

On the z21:
1. Look at the icon for the function you want
2. Touch it.
(you can select ANY icon you want, and move the buttons around wherever you want).

It's worth going to YouTube and watching a few videos on how this all works.
That's what convinced me after coming back into the hobby after 40+ years.
I couldn't hack one of those calculator-pushbutton nightmares!

I have tried it, didn't like it, as there is no "feel", I have to look at the throttle, to find the button I want to push. Where as with my Digitrax throttle, I know where the buttons are by feel. Everything you've described, is not much different then operating my Digitrax throttle, or the ESu Mobile Control 2 for that matter. But if it works for you, more power to you.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com