Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

Well the Kato GP35 is finished, thought I'd put my small offering in here rather than my other thread.

I've gone for a well used, tired and dusty kinda look without overdoing it, and not as suggested, a flipping rust bucket :rolleyes:

1707765368959.jpeg

1707765400805.jpeg

Not exactly weathering, but I bought this Athearn GP9 some weeks ago.

1709492205783.jpeg

It joined my roster tonight as an Ex CN Heritage (my version anyway) GP9 (Leasing) #2042

A big thank you to the three Toms and everyone else, without your help and encouragement I wouldn't have even tried this, I know it's not perfect, but I'm trying.

1709492315625.jpeg

1709492353642.jpeg

Last edited:
So much to look at guys, lots of great work here! Weathering is where the fun is... great way to just chill.

Here is my last project that I tackled. A brief history.
I took a CPR GP30 shell off one of those early production Proto models and transferred it to a later production "Limited Production" Santa Fe model chassis equipped with DCC and Sound... and good wheels! A little bit of work, had to do a bit of machining and electrical work to take the hi hood front mounted led and move it to the prototypical nose mounted light position, then weathered it. I wanted to give it that many years of road work look. Used everything in my arsenal.. acrylics, enamels, powders, pastels and some airbrushing. I am very happy with it, sometimes you just gotta go for it, no fear lol.
Weathering is one of those things that is not for the faint of heart, at least I think anyways. It's nice to see other modelers taking this great part of the hobby by the horns.

Z

CPR GP30.png

thumbnail_IMG_1406.jpg

Back to locomotives!

This is a Athearn Genesis UP SD70ace that has been masked. Up next are 2 more to be masked today. Our plans (Terry’s) have been changed! Due to strong rain storms and flash flood warning in the areas we were heading, we are staying home! So, time to get away from Intermodal spine cars, containers, well cars and reefers
IMG_4755.jpeg
IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg

While not in the cards for today, I have a bottle of Tamiya xf-86 flat clear that maybe used on the 3 diesels
IMG_4758.jpeg

View attachment 175778
UP 2702 is up for fading. The client DOES NOT want this unit to be very weathered, barely light but wants a fade. Yellow is tough to fade (for me) as when I use a white to fade it sometimes doesn’t fade enough. When I use a yellow fade mix it just doesn’t seem ok to me.

So, back to Tamiya’s X-21 base fade.

Full strength brushed on. I let it dry about 30 minutes and I then go back and brush off the powder it leaves behind. It leaves a nice IMO fade which should pretty good for this unit
View attachment 175779View attachment 175780

and the currently playing tunes
View attachment 175781

Hey nice work Tom, I use that same flat base tecnique for fading also, I got that tip from Boomer over on the Tube, did you pick that one up from also?
Boomer is a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from man, he's good at getting his process's across also.

Z

Just another past project. I was on a GP30 adventure for a while on detailing and weathering. This one turned out better than I thought it would.
I was experimenting a few years ago with oils using a sponge for surface rust effects along the upper cab and hood.

I don't know if this the proper thread to mention this in but,
I am thinking about listing this on the Bay.
If any one here is interested or knows anyone here that may be interested before I list it, message me.

Proto 2000 Series, updated wheels and DCC eqipped.

Z

CHGP30.jpg

Back