Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

Hey nice work Tom, I use that same flat base tecnique for fading also, I got that tip from Boomer over on the Tube, did you pick that one up from also?
Boomer is a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from man, he's good at getting his process's across also.

Z
Yes I am a disciple of the great Boomer. I was using Tamiya prior to finding Boomer but he has helped refine some of the stuff I use and do

He uses it quite a bit straight out of the bottle brushing it on which I used to do. Now I prefer to sometimes add it into the fade mix and spray it out of the airbrush. He is a wealth of encouraging knowledge

My favorite all time weathering You Tube content providers are:

Boomer Diorama
Dansrailroad2011
Panzermiester36

JC’s rip track (he has great weathering videosbut stopped posting about 1 year ago)

Rinaldistudio press

All very very good and different

Back to locomotives!

This is a Athearn Genesis UP SD70ace that has been masked. Up next are 2 more to be masked today. Our plans (Terry’s) have been changed! Due to strong rain storms and flash flood warning in the areas we were heading, we are staying home! So, time to get away from Intermodal spine cars, containers, well cars and reefers
View attachment 184006View attachment 184007View attachment 184008

While not in the cards for today, I have a bottle of Tamiya xf-86 flat clear that maybe used on the 3 diesels
View attachment 184009
Just to be clear. The UP 9069 will be faded with Tamiya Xf2 and thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol with no more than 5 drops of x-21 flat base added.

I use the xf86 to clear coat the model, both to start after cleaning and at the end to seal the weathering. There are times I will also seal the unit between color changes

While YMMV I find the xf86 Matt to be less aggressive and I also apply it over pigments and Pan Pastels

Yes I am a disciple of the great Boomer. I was using Tamiya prior to finding Boomer but he has helped refine some of the stuff I use and do

He uses it quite a bit straight out of the bottle brushing it on which I used to do. Now I prefer to sometimes add it into the fade mix and spray it out of the airbrush. He is a wealth of encouraging knowledge

My favorite all time weathering You Tube content providers are:

Boomer Diorama
Dansrailroad2011
Panzermiester36

JC’s rip track (he has great weathering videosbut stopped posting about 1 year ago)

Rinaldistudio press

All very very good and different

Yes those 2 kids are quite talented also, I have watched some of their stuff too.

Getting down with the rust. :cool:
IMG_0032_pe.jpg

IMG_0031_pe.jpg

My op session got cancelled this morning due to the never ending Covid. So came home as I was heading to pick up a friend when the text arrived. I grabbed UP 9069 a Sd70ace that the client would like to represent as it was in 2018.

found the uncredited photo on a image search for UP 9069 and it looks about the way the client wants. He approved the picture awhile ago
IMG_4953.jpeg

As previous mentioned the fade is Tamiya xf2 white and Isopropyl Alcohol. The grids and exhaust vents are blacken with Tamiya x1 black thinned 75% paint to the IPA just to let it flow easier

Just the truck frames and fuel tank this morning but it’s a start. Vallejo Model Air Earth Brown #71.136 at about a 60% paint to 40% tap water mix. Brushed on as a wash
IMG_4961.jpeg

UP9069 has received another clear coat to preserve what’s shown. The client says I got the color right in his eyes
IMG_4961.jpeg

Next up is some under frame touch up that can’t be seen when the diesel is upright on the track. The plows on the unit need more rust and a few chips. Right behind the air hoses and streaking down will be done in a few minutes tonight!
IMG_5368.jpeg

Then without the use of hard to find roof pictures, I blacken the protective roof fan grills and the exhaust stack
IMG_5369.jpeg

Then the roof horns needs a bit of grime. A light exhaust grime coat will be added around the exhaust chimney! Finally the roof is too clean but the client does not want it faded more then it already is. The roof will get something but not tonight as I’m still trying to figure out what color and how much to do

These pictures have been sent to the client for his remarks.

I cleaned up the sill, added rust to the wheels, added a bit more rust to the plows, added an exhaust grime around the roof exhausts and grills. Dusted up the railings and darken the roof as it still felt too shiny to me in previous pictures. I also added some spillage at the fuel tank filler spots.

If you have constructive criticism please let me know

IMG_5029.jpeg
IMG_5030.jpeg
IMG_5031.jpeg
IMG_5033.jpeg
IMG_5034.jpeg
IMG_5035.jpeg
IMG_5036.jpeg
IMG_5037.jpeg
IMG_5038.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 12
Ok, trying my hand at my first weathered locomotive (N Scale), a BLI CSX ET44. As of this writing, it remains a work in progress.

This picture below is as close as is possible to a “before” picture as I can get. Note that no fading has been done to the body. BLI’s CSX colors are distinctly lighter than what Scaletrains puts on theirs, and is much more flat in sheen as well. The BLI looks decidedly pre-faded next to a Scaletrains:

IMG_3805.jpeg

The goal of today’s work was twofold:

1. Rust/dirty up the plow a bit (and go over the M/U cabling & connectors afterward to get them to stand out a bit from the rust.
2. Fade the bogies and tank.
3. Highlight the various grilles/screens on the boby with a flat black wash.

Ok, that was three. “Three are our weapons! Fear, intimidation, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Po..” Sorry, I got lost in Monty Pyton’s “Spanish Inquisition” sketch for a moment. I’m better now. Maybe.

The bogey fading is already done in the above photo, but the Scaletrains at left is still in its shiny black glory, so that conveys a pretty good idea of the “before” look of the BLI.

Here is the rear plow, having been rusted with a mix of two parts Vallejo Burnt Umber to one part Mission models normal rust. Thinned about 1:1 with water, airbrushed on. Going much thinner made it want to run down to the leading edge of the plow. After spraying on one coat and allowing to dry, I painted flat black onto the cabling, and a small amount of a Revell silver lacquer. Sprayed on a second coat of the rust/dirt mixture, and re-highlighted the cables with a flat black wash, and then used a mini Q-tip with 99% IPA to wipe down some of the rust off the connectors. This photo shows the rear end of the loco; it’s just a better photo:

IMG_3801.jpeg

And here is the front:

IMG_3799.jpeg

For the fading of the bogeys & fuel tank, I couldnt find the “grimy black” others advocate. The goal of it appeared to provide a “slate gray” kind of color. I chose Mission Models “Anthracite” black, and lightened it with one part Vallejo neutral gray to four parts of the anthracite, Thinned about 2:1 with water. (The Antractite is thick stuff, needed extra thinning for the airbrush. After letting it harden for a few hours, i sealed it with Dullcote thinned 1:1 for airbrushing. After that, I highlighted holes and crevices with Vallejo black, thinned to a wash. The back end:

IMG_3808.jpeg

That photo also shows the result of highlighting some of the grille work on the body.

The middle, showing the fuel tank, a little dash of red to render the sight glass/ level indicator visible:

IMG_3809.jpeg

And the front:

IMG_3810.jpeg

And here are a couple of overall shots, showing the grille highlighting, and an overview of the current state of the locomotive:

IMG_3813.jpeg

Not the best brightness, but does convey the topside grille highlighting:

IMG_3815.jpeg

Same shot, but with the camera flash, renders this one more representative of the overall color:

IMG_3816.jpeg

Since this BLI is decidedly lighter than my Scaletrains ET44s, I’m not sure this one will get a fade coat.

The plan forward:

1. Highlight/draw out some detail on the white cab roof.
2. Road splatter area over the lower extremeties. I have the Vallejo desert ran others have used, but in looking at it, that seems more of an arid/desert color, and I’m modeling West Virginia (specifically the New River area), so something more brown to a reddish brown (without turning it into a rust color) may be more in order.
3. To fade or not to fade? Either way, I have a Vallejo Blue Angels blue coming, to be a minor additive to a fade coat, be it for this, or down the road for those Scaletrains units.

Last edited:
Ok, trying my hand at my first weathered locomotive (N Scale), a BLI CSX ET44. As of this writing, it remains a work in progress.

This picture below is as close as is possible to a “before” picture as I can get. Note that no fading gas been done to the body. BLI’s CSX colors are distinctly lighter than what Scaletrains puts on theirs, and is much more flat in sheen as well. The BLI looks decidedly pre-faded next to a Scaletrains:

View attachment 185190

1. Rust/dirty up the plow a bit (and go over the M/U cabling & connectors afterward to get them to stand out a bit from the rust.

The bogey fading is already done in the above photo, but the Scaletrains at left is still in it s ahiny black glory, so that conveys a pretty good idea of the “before” look of the BLI.

Here is the front plow, having been rusted with a mix of two parts Vallejo Burnt Umber to one part Mission models normal rust. Thinned about 1:1 with water, airbrushed on. Going much thinner made it want to run down to the leading edge of the plow. After spraying on ine coat and allowing to dry, I painted flat black onto the cabling, and a small amount of a Revell silver lacquer. Sprayed on a second coat of the rust/dirt mixture, and re-highlighted the cables with a flat black wash, and then used a mini Q-tip with 99% IPA to wipe down some of the rust off the connectors. This photo shows the rear end of the loco; it’s just a better photo:

View attachment 185191

And here is the front:

View attachment 185192

For the fading of the bogeys & fuel tank, I couldnt find the “grimy black” otgers advocate. The goal of it appeared to provide a “slate gray” kind of color. I chose Mission Models “Anthracite” black, and lightened it with one part Vallejo neutral gray to four parts if the anthracite, Thinned about 2:1 with water. (The Antractite is thick stuff, needed extra thinning for the airbrush. Afrer letting it garden for a few hours, i sealed it with Dullcote thinned 1:1 for airbrushing. After that, I highlighted holes and crevices with Vallejo black, thinned to a wash. The back end:

View attachment 185193

That photo also shows the result of highlighting some of the grille work on the body.

The middle, showing the fuel tank, a little dash of red to render the sight glass/ level indicator visible:

View attachment 185194

And the front:

View attachment 185195

And here are a couple if overall shots, showing the grille highlight, and an overview if the current state of the locomotive:

View attachment 185196

View attachment 185197

Same shot, but with the camera flash, renders this one more representative of the overall color:

View attachment 185198

Since this BLI is decidedly lighter than my Scaletrains ET44s, I’m not sure this one will get a fade coat.

The plan forward:

2. Road splatter area over the lower extremeties. I have the Vallejo desert ran others have used, but in looking at it, that seems more of an arid/desert color, and I’m modeling West Virginia (specifically the New River area), so something more brown to a reddish brown (without turning it into a rust color) may be more in order.
3. To fade or not to fade? Either way, I have a Vallejo Blue Angels blue coming, to be a minor additive to a fade coat, be it for this, or down the road for those Scaletrains units.
That looks really good,nice work.

This picture below is as close as is possible to a “before” picture as I can get. Note that no fading gas been done to the body. BLI’s CSX colors are distinctly lighter than what Scaletrains puts on theirs, and is much more flat in sheen as well. The BLI looks decidedly pre-faded next to a Scaletrains:

View attachment 185190

The bogey fading is already done in the above photo, but the Scaletrains at left is still in it s ahiny black glory, so that conveys a pretty good idea of the “before” look of the BLI.

Here is the front plow, having been rusted with a mix of two parts Vallejo Burnt Umber to one part Mission models normal rust. Thinned about 1:1 with water, airbrushed on. Going much thinner made it want to run down to the leading edge of the plow. After spraying on ine coat and allowing to dry, I painted flat black onto the cabling, and a small amount of a Revell silver lacquer. Sprayed on a second coat of the rust/dirt mixture, and re-highlighted the cables with a flat black wash, and then used a mini Q-tip with 99% IPA to wipe down some of the rust off the connectors. This photo shows the rear end of the loco; it’s just a better photo:

View attachment 185191

And here is the front:

View attachment 185192

For the fading of the bogeys & fuel tank, I couldnt find the “grimy black” otgers advocate. The goal of it appeared to provide a “slate gray” kind of color. I chose Mission Models “Anthracite” black, and lightened it with one part Vallejo neutral gray to four parts if the anthracite, Thinned about 2:1 with water. (The Antractite is thick stuff, needed extra thinning for the airbrush. Afrer letting it garden for a few hours, i sealed it with Dullcote thinned 1:1 for airbrushing. After that, I highlighted holes and crevices with Vallejo black, thinned to a wash. The back end:

View attachment 185193

View attachment 185194

And the front:

View attachment 185195

And here are a couple of overall shots, showing the grille highlighting, and an overview of the current state of the locomotive:

View attachment 185196

View attachment 185197

View attachment 185198

The plan forward:

Very nice, great script you gave us to follow.

Those 2 plow pictures show an outstanding weathering job. Great work

I am a true believer in doing the fade. But that is up to your tastes as no matter what you do with the modeling fade or not it will have a match in the prototype world. Rail splatter is somewhat the same. I used to do it for everything but I actually have a couple commission clients who asked me to leave it off on the end panels. Anything east of the Mississippi River I use an Earth Brown or the Dark earth from Vallejo Air.

Keep us informed

Rail splatter is somewhat the same. I used to do it for everything but I actually have a couple commission clients who asked me to leave it off on the end panels. Anything east of the Mississippi River I use an Earth Brown or the Dark earth from Vallejo Air.

Keep us informed

Rail splatter coloration variations with geography are an interesting thing: I’ve noticed in Georgia, where I now live, that the rail splatter color is influenced by the red clay dirt down here, the splatter has a definite reddish/orange tone to it. On fringe areas where its thin, it gives a yellowed look to white paint/lettering - I see that on the various Norfolk Southern locos running around here.

Actually, your recent work has inspired me to give some variation to the plow weathering by some localized pigment application.
Thank you. When I do the plows I head online for closeups if possible of the prototype. I’m not too worried about the exact number but a similar class of the diesel. If it’s a f45 ATSF diesel I’m weathering I want a picture of that.

Plows have very distinct weathering patterns but most have an accumulation of rust being built up somewhere on them if they are a few years old. I try something different on just about every diesel I do. It’s fun to expertiment and as I have written before, Isopropyl Alcohol is very forgiving!

Back