Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

Glad you’re checking it out here! Lots of skilled guys here, lots of shared ideas. I read this section, but haven’t ventured into weathering a locomotive yet.

Check out the “Weathering Rolling. Stock…” thread. I’ve got some projects in there. A lot more posts in that thread - many of the same good folks involved. Many techniques cross over for both.

I would say keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, but the point of a weathering is to make all the sides greasy (and dusty and grimy and rusty).
Yeah I'm on my over there too as I have many rolling stock weathered also. :cool:

Here is NS 9-40c # 8820. Still a bit different than 8777 but similar. View attachment 179736View attachment 179737View attachment 179738View attachment 179739View attachment 179740View attachment 179741View attachment 179742View attachment 179743If Terry says yes I will clear coat them tonight, do the wheels and put it into stack service on he layout
Sorry was missing I accidentally wiped my history and could not find the site, luckily smudge fell over me on a uk railway site and gave me a link home - so you can blame him, I will spend sone time catching up on your lovely thread I see sone good work has been carried out…not to see if there is any ideas worth stea…l….um I mean copying :D

Another one of my rust buckets :)
1707350930177.jpeg

Sorry was missing I accidentally wiped my history and could not find the site, luckily smudge fell over me on a uk railway site and gave me a link home - so you can blame him, I will spend sone time catching up on your lovely thread I see sone good work has been carried out…not to see if there is any ideas worth stea…l….um I mean copying :D
Our fair lady returns. Many worries about you missing in action. Glad you are back

TomO

The handrails were done with Burnt Umber artist oil paint, the rest was airbrushed with AK Rust Streaks paint. :)
Thank you

I’ve never airbrushed the AK streaking paints.

Any amount of thinning, do you the remember PSI you ran?

I feel an experiment happening soon at my bench. I hand brush the dust effects but airbrushing them would be more consistent, same grime streak.

Thank you

I’ve never airbrushed the AK streaking paints.

Any amount of thinning, do you the remember PSI you ran?

I feel an experiment happening soon at my bench. I hand brush the dust effects but airbrushing them would be more consistent, same grime streak.
This particular brand and color didn't need any thinning, in fact it was just a bit too thin but maybe it's supposed to be since people might not use it for airbrushing. As for the PSI I generally run around 22- 25 PSI but with all my airbrushing I always use a small test piece of posterboard to try out my spray and make adjustments beforehand. I also use the smallest needle available for my airbrush for fading and weathering. :)

This particular brand and color didn't need any thinning, in fact it was just a bit too thin but maybe it's supposed to be since people might not use it for airbrushing. As for the PSI I generally run around 22- 25 PSI but with all my airbrushing I always use a small test piece of posterboard to try out my spray and make adjustments beforehand. I also use the smallest needle available for my airbrush for fading and weathering. :)
Thanks. PSI is a personal choice thing but looks like we both are in the same ballpark.

I will look at my AK streaking grimes today as I don’t recall them being that thin, but …

Well not to much on the weathering topic, but I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I'm adding it here. A new project I'm adding to a couple of engines. Since I run coal trains empty and loaded I was watching some videos on helper service in the mountains. I seen an engine cutaway on the move so I know he had Helper Link on the engine. What was great is the camera angle gave me a chance to get a good look at one straight on. After doing a little search I found them at CMR Products in PA. Got them in the mail today and have the bits and pieces (cable and air line) to put one together.
IMG_6501.jpg

Another one of my rust buckets :)
View attachment 180949
Once you get the bogie heavily weathered I would love to see another picture and a reference picture if you have one.
fyi photograph at an angle to hide the kaddee, or dump something in front
IMG_2122.jpeg

a wagon in front and the picture cuts out the kaddee on the wagon

also get some clean water and careful check where it sits as that is real rain draws dirt
notice the dirt / dust lines low down especially on horizontal surfaces

sorry don’t model your excellent American stock, you’ll have to suffice with Brit kit. :)

I've just spotted this, somehow "weathered" is not how I would describe it.

View attachment 180313
Having gone through my own learning curve I sympathise, if people just remembered dirt is usually light dust just enough to stick then rain makes it run and rain moves down when stood still or at an angle depending on speed of travel,oil dirt can be manually added so overkill occurs even in reallife, but green? Perhaps it was going for a fade, but then thin the lighter colour and build up to areas where fading might occur, and dirt dust the bogies before and after rust effects for a nice b,end, otherwise watch this thread :)
seriously guys loving the catch up, some really nice pieces.

Examples of rust, fyi different colours are almost always different metals of blends there of, not railway but easy to look at
Thumbprints as not truly on topic but hopefully helpful
IMG_4220.jpeg Old thickened IMG_4187.jpeg
traces of old red paint now heavily faded
IMG_4221.jpeg IMG_4182.jpeg Paint cracked and flaked and even running into wood (think old wagons)IMG_4180.jpegpaint faded blistered water gathering in and causing hayhemIMG_4179.jpegmetalwork eventually eaten awayIMG_4178.jpegIMG_3521.jpegpaint finish was green rubber band,es offered a slight slowdown before paint lostIMG_3633.jpegmetal fencing this red rust is usually the rust shade = beyond rescueIMG_2840.jpegburning bin left the lid of same (see the bottom of the bin is still ‘silvered’ also 2 rust tones initial damage and heavy rust

Before I hit the engines I trialled on cheap kit firstIMG_6798.jpegtrialling the rust,the two tone rust,the paint and faded )I use the normal colour and mix in white) and then black ‘oil’IMG_8467.jpegtexture is possible but can be difficult to get to scaleIMG_5643.jpegthis literally creates a rust with a metal component attacked to replicate and a well weathered engine for reference with some nice coal kit nearby and rusted bogies enlarged picture, if you can enlarge further nice reference even tho Brit kit.
6091694023_7d0ea6002e_z.jpeg

ok off to annoy someone else

Before I hit the engines I trialled on cheap kit firstView attachment 181096trialling the rust,the two tone rust,the paint and faded )I use the normal colour and mix in white) and then black ‘oil’View attachment 181097texture is possible but can be difficult to get to scaleView attachment 181098this literally creates a rust with a metal component attacked to replicate and a well weathered engine for reference with some nice coal kit nearby and rusted bogies enlarged picture, if you can enlarge further nice reference even tho Brit kit.
View attachment 181099
ok off to annoy someone else
Thanks for the info and the pictures.

Rust is always in topic!

I have never tried the Deluxe Material products. Came close a couple times to buy but…

Well not to much on the weathering topic, but I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I'm adding it here. A new project I'm adding to a couple of engines. Since I run coal trains empty and loaded I was watching some videos on helper service in the mountains. I seen an engine cutaway on the move so I know he had Helper Link on the engine. What was great is the camera angle gave me a chance to get a good look at one straight on. After doing a little search I found them at CMR Products in PA. Got them in the mail today and have the bits and pieces (cable and air line) to put one together.View attachment 181075
Well getting there. I just need to find a line /wire from the bottom coupler to the box. Then paint.
IMG_6511.jpg

Back