The best protection from the floor?

AstroKnight187

What’s the best protection against dropping stuff on the floor? I can’t use carpet because my area sometimes floods a little (Everything is off the ground, the water doesn’t come up very far; the floors is concaved a slight bit) and the carpet would be ruined. Any ideas?

What’s the best protection against dropping stuff on the floor?
Are you referring to dropping stuff that you're working on, or stuff coming off the layout while running? Rico has the answer in his post if you're referring to running trains. Especially keeping things set back a bit. Additionally, good trackwork will go a long way towards preventing derailments.

My thanks to Old 97 for including the info and link to Uline!
I signed up for an account. I especially love their "map" regarding how long deliveries will take to arrive at location where the customer lives.
Maybe I can send a "message" to USPS about this method regarding an order for MRR materials I sent for but have not received, ha ha.

Are you referring to dropping stuff that you're working on, or stuff coming off the layout while running? Rico has the answer in his post if you're referring to running trains. Especially keeping things set back a bit. Additionally, good trackwork will go a long way towards preventing derailments.
I’m referring to both

The skirting that many put on the side of the benchwork can be of hardboard, Masonite, doorskin....that kind of wood or laminate, and the idea is to ensure the top edge is raised above the layout's surface materials, scenery, by about a full inch. So, you won't need much, just a 'catch-all'. The event below really happened....not staged.

index.php

That is way too close, Crandell.

In my 30+ years of model railroading, I think I've had one car hit the floor, an Athearn 4740 covered hopper and its end cage got a bit smashed. I glued it back together and touched up the paint, a legit repair scar.

Difinitely a fan of raised edges and track not on the edge.

Yes, it was too close. The tracks worked really well there, but I had the sense to place at least this one sheet to see if it would work. Then....it did. Then, I scurried and hurried to place the next sheet, and the next... :p I eventually painted the fascia sheets a dark green, and it was very nice...'n secure.

BTW, the height of the layout above the floor was a whopping 23 inches. This was in a hipped roof garage loft, so I didn't have the room for anything much higher.

The best protection is not letting it leave the table in the first place.

Having a cushion on the ground helps (and makes it more comfortable to stand and walk around for a long period of time while operating as well) but falling equipment will still take damage.

The best protection is not letting it leave the table in the first place.

Having a cushion on the ground helps (and makes it more comfortable to stand and walk around for a long period of time while operating as well) but falling equipment will still take damage.
Love your first sentence:
" 'The best protection is not letting it leave the table in the first place.' "

Repeal the law of gravity? No? Then I guess having a barrier along the facia works the best. Just need to be sure the overhang of the rolling stock will clear it coming around a curve.

Reactions: PMW
love all your answers, but In my case probably the best would be to have guard rail as I have yo stay near the edge, because I cab only use 36 inch wide table and want to run a 27 inch circle inside it. I need to keep my layout narrow so I can reach the center from my wheelchair

Back