Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some chores today then worked on the build gluing in windows in the wall sections that are wood. I also tried to weather the wood walls by prying up boards edges and simulating new boards. I also discovered that the kit was missing a door so I used one from a previous build that there was extras. It was slightly larger so I had to do some modification that turned out sloppy but when I apply the plaster to the bottom level it will cover that.

Since we've been discussing birds lately here is what I saw on Monday coming home after picking up my truck. I rounded a bend in the subdivision to see 2 red tailed hawks fighting over a live squirrel on a lawn. I guess my truck scared the hawks because they flew off thus saving the tree rat for another day.:cool:

Sherrel- It really is a small world. Something similar has happened to me with military members I have previously served with.

Joe- I hope you get over your pneumonia quickly and get back to 100% or what passes for 100% at our age.

Justin- Nice looking hopper fleet.

The light (fluorescent) on my workbench seems to wash the color out.

20181016_145930-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

No, just Quicktime Player for Windoze.
I've installed the program, although the site advised that Win10 wasn't supposed to need it, but then that might only apply if I was using Edge as my default browser (Chrome). We'll see what happens.

.I compiled my new active hopper fleet together for a photo. Excuse the mess on the layout. Its a work in progress. But I have all 15 hoppers I need for my ops on the layout up and running.
Justin: They look great. Notice you have your tipple set up, so I presume the next step is a mountain to sink a mine shaft down? Just remember no one's railroad was ever built in a day ;)

I also tried to weather the wood walls by prying up boards edges and simulating new boards. I also discovered that the kit was missing a door so I used one from a previous build that there was extras. It was slightly larger so I had to do some modification that turned out sloppy but when I apply the plaster to the bottom level it will cover that. ,

Curt: Progress for sure. You are becoming quite adept at these buildings. Shame the lighting from the work bench serves to hide your efforts.

I actually spent most of the day at the kitchen table, working on bills and stuff that's accumulated over the past week or so. I ventured out with the recycles that were accumulating on the counter, and shredded a stack of documents. Guess I'm feeling better. :)

Not for Nothing, I have had a runny nose, and post nasal flow since I came back from NY the first of the month. The cough became persistent, but there was no indication of bronchitis. Since I had receive two versions of the Pneumococcal Vaccine, one as recently as last May, Pneumonia was the farthest thing from my mind. :confused:

The Radiologist's Chest X-ray report was a very interesting read. Not only did he define the two areas consistent with Pneumonia, in the lungs, The report also contained comment about the condition of the heart and spine. Talk about Hi-def. :rolleyes:

There are only 20 more days of being insulted and offended by paid political advertising. What's worse, is that we have 52 more days of paid
Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement Commercials until this years open enrollment period is over. These commercials are condescending insulting and offensive. :mad: Of course, I'm craby, because I haven't been feeling well enough to go down into the train room or some other safe haven, and it's been too rainy to go outside. Never heard so many distortions and misrepresentations, especially in the insurance commercials.

Terry: How are things going with your wife?

David in CA: Nice to see you posting again.

Boris

I've installed the program, although the site advised that Win10 wasn't supposed to need it, but then that might only apply if I was using Edge as my default browser (Chrome). We'll see what happens.

Ray: Win 10 has failed to meet a lot of expectations. The connected program is "Cyberlink Power Media Plaver v.14, I have not knowingly used it, when I first set this laptop up, I was required to download and Install Windows Media Player which is no longer a part of Windows, in order to view some of my older video files. Meanwhile, Edge, seems to lose something each update. I use Firefox and Edge, but that may not last. I haven't used QuickTime, in a while, but it always worked in Windows before.

Boris

Boris- I have been stumped as of late on my next course of action. I have planned a scene divide with a tunnel to help hide the tight 18" radius curve through that section. I have tried paper and cardboard strips as a test bed of what I can manage to pull off. The paper trick failed from the jump so I haven't tried again. But it's in the works!

Good Morning Everyone from foggy Gulf Shores AL, where it is 74°. Back home it is 42° and cloudy, at least it's not raining. Pretty much the same thing going on here, doing a little more walking, lots of additional walking on the beach doing bikini inspection and eating a lot. Had grouper for supper last night, should have gotten the steak instead. Another marina restaurant where you can view yachts bigger than my house, and imagine their seven figure cost.
Had a "small world" phenomenon yesterday, a close friend from Dallas had noted that my wife had posted our location on Facebook and he posted back that he was here also with his new 70 YO lady friend. He called my wife's cell phone while she was in the pool, and I answered the unknown number. It was him and while we were speaking, I realized that he was out on the balcony of the house two doors down...stereo background noises! I asked him if he was the fellow with the blue shirt on out on that balcony and he totally freaked out until I told him to look down at us waving a short distance away. His lady friend was closing on the sale of that house that she and her late husband had lived in for 17 years.
Not much else happening. Today I am taking a couple of our other house guests up north of here to Foley AL to visit their historical museum, where there is a very large "O" scale RR layout that I have posted here before. It hasn't changed other than scenery refurbishment since I first found this place four years ago. Lots of animated scenes and small mini-scenes.

Ray - I liked the "rainbird" pictures.
Sherrel - I've told you before to come by and get some of this rain. My daughter said that it rained 8" at her Dallas home, so I probably got some more at home as well.
Justin - Don't be such a stranger.
David - No need to apologize. We had a recent discussion on the forum regarding track cleaning cars, and I forgot to mention the wand.

OK, for me it's time to go for the mile-long morning walk, maybe longer today to maintain my sleek although roundish physique. I smell the coffee starting in the pot for my fellow house mates, so I expect to see a few faces when I return. Already went for a dip in the pool earlier and only scooped out two sand crabs this morning. At least two of the house mates retire earlier than me in the evening and are usually up when I return.
Everybody have a great day. It's National Bosses Day which I no longer celebrate, and I miss those lunches at Luby's Cafeteria, which was all my employees were willing to spend on me!

Willie: No problem, the Woodland Scenics Rail Tracker could hardly be considered to be a track cleaning car by any streach of the imagination. Although it wouldn't be to difficult for WS to adapt smooth abrasive pads to a car which could be pulled around like many others.

Afternoon fellers. I suppose I should try to be less of a stranger around here. I made my first year here at Coke today. 29 more to go....I compiled my new active hopper fleet together for a photo. Excuse the mess on the layout. Its a work in progress. But I have all 15 hoppers I need for my ops on the layout up and running.View attachment 31170

Justin Absolutely No Excuse for a messy layout table except mine and most everyone else's is probably as bad if not a lot worse !! I've got stuff scattered everywhere ! !! Now where did lay that down? ?

Justin: They look great. Notice you have your tipple set up, so I presume the next step is a mountain to sink a mine shaft down? Just remember no one's railroad was ever built in a day ;)

Curt: Progress for sure. You are becoming quite adept at these buildings. Shame the lighting from the work bench serves to hide your efforts.

I actually spent most of the day at the kitchen table, working on bills and stuff that's accumulated over the past week or so. I ventured out with the recycles that were accumulating on the counter, and shredded a stack of documents. Guess I'm feeling better. :)

Not for Nothing, I have had a runny nose, and post nasal flow since I came back from NY the first of the month. The cough became persistent, but there was no indication of bronchitis. Since I had receive two versions of the Pneumococcal Vaccine, one as recently as last May, Pneumonia was the farthest thing from my mind. :confused:

The Radiologist's Chest X-ray report was a very interesting read. Not only did he define the two areas consistent with Pneumonia, in the lungs, The report also contained comment about the condition of the heart and spine. Talk about Hi-def. :rolleyes:

There are only 20 more days of being insulted and offended by paid political advertising. What's worse, is that we have 52 more days of paid
Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement Commercials until this years open enrollment period is over. These commercials are condescending insulting and offensive. :mad: Of course, I'm craby, because I haven't been feeling well enough to go down into the train room or some other safe haven, and it's been too rainy to go outside. Never heard so many distortions and misrepresentations, especially in the insurance commercials.

Terry: How are things going with your wife?

David in CA: Nice to see you posting again.

Boris

Boris: Thanks, it's good to be making a start at getting back to posting somewhat regularly although I doubt I'll be able to keep it up day after day. Time will tell ? ?

I'm very sorry to hear you haven't been feeling very well, that's a shame !!

Last edited:
Well, it worked. What am I talkin' about. Yes the Camera. I was able to drag and drop the file into the Video folder and watch from there. I noticed that after the 1st viewing, it showed Films & TV as it's new home. Will need some fine tuning as far as the sound pickup is concerned, had both the on screen control and speaker system controls on full volume. There is a socket on the camera for a supplied mic on a cable to plug into which they say should give better reception. The curved edges shouldn't be too much of a problem at the club and I'll try the other formats to see what they produce. Going to be some trial and error, there's several settings adjustments I haven't a clue what they do. The club is having it's 2nd Open Day for the year on Saturday and then the scheduled DCC running day on the Sunday after. I can't go to both, so it'll be a coin toss, although the Sunday run is the most attractive from my point of selfish view, because it's quite likely I'll have it to myself.

I've had a couple of flatcar's worth of decks soaking in a Thermos flask that I've now cleaned the paint off, the flask being a tall one that took them and kept the alcohol to a minimum, lying on it's side. Hopefully nothing else will interfere with me getting them scorred, painted and re-fitted with loads attached for Sunday.

Good morning .

I'll have a coffee and a donut to go ..... I'll be on the road again. ... I'm leaving in a few minutes for Michigan, and I will return home in a few days.

Cheers.

Good morning everyone. 39 and clear out there - must be the moon 'cause it's too early for the sun. I'll join you in a cup of coffee, Garry but I'll have a chocolate croissant to dunk in the coffee!!

Nothing to report from the train room. My wife and I are members of a local group called Friends of the Library, and we volunteer at the semiannual book sale which is going on this week, so we got home kind of late. Plus my body is still yelling at me for painting the bedroom Monday.

Garry - Safe travels, friend. Any train rides on the schedule this time? Visits to train museums or train shows?
Willie - Hope you are still enjoying those nice Gulf beaches.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Another foggy morning here in Gulf Shores AL with 72°. Seems to be warming up slightly back home with 51°, however this is still 20° below normal/average for this time of year. Still doing pretty much nothing but relaxing here in Gulf Shores. Made a short side trip up to Foley AL yesterday to visit their historical museum and watch the O scale model RR layout. Watched dolphins jump up and down out in the water, from our balcony, they were about 75' off-shore. There was at least two of them doing several jumps and they returned twice later in the day.
I'm back sorta. Just had to chauffeur one of the group to the donut store over in neighboring Orange Beach. Since I rarely eat any donuts, I'm not sure why Gulf Shores donuts aren't just as good?
Speaking of our little group, it is an eclectic bunch. My wife and her sister in Tennessee organize this trip every year and the group has gotten larger over time. There's nine of us now, three couples and three additional ladies. Another couple had to drop out at the last minute, hence the extra bedroom. We range in age from 63 (2), 66 (3), 68 (2), 70 (1) and 81(1). There's four young college girls staying in the house next door that asked us to turn the music down last night. I politely pointed out that all of us were hard of hearing and we had to play it loud. I also pointed out that it would end before 9:00 because no one could stay up later than that! I invited them up to drink beer and party with us which they declined. They chuckled and put up with us. I spotted at least three bottles of wine on their balcony table afterwards.

Johnny -
Mode progress on ascenerizing the layout
"ascenerizing" - Is that a new word for us to learn?
Joe - Pneumonia - what a drag. Hope that you are feeling better real soon. I don't watch much TV other than Fox Business News from Stuart Varney's opening until about ten minutes after the market opens, but you're right on about the insurance commercials. Politically we're having a pretty nasty fight here in Texas with incumbent Senator Ted Cruz and Democratic challenger Beto O'Rourke. When I pass through the living room while my wife's watching TV, that's all that I see and hear.
Justin - Excellent hopper line-up. I don't remember if you have ever posted whether those loads are removable.
Curt - Windows and walls are coming along nicely.
Garry - Have a safe trip.

Gotta start packing today, we're leaving for home around 0800 tomorrow morning, thus missing the rush hour in Mobile AL. Lunch in a small town BBQ joint south of Jackson MS around 1230, Spend the night in Shreveport LA after visiting a historical museum in Vicksburg MS around 1400.
Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Boris- I have been stumped as of late on my next course of action. I have planned a scene divide with a tunnel to help hide the tight 18" radius curve through that section. I have tried paper and cardboard strips as a test bed of what I can manage to pull off. The paper trick failed from the jump so I haven't tried again. But it's in the works!
Justin: For what it's worth, the last time I built up a mountain range, I stacked 1" thick sections on Pink foam, and played with the stacks until I was happy. then I glued my preference, then applied Plaster of Paris rolls to make a terrain, and went from there. Nice thing about foam, is you can unglue it with water and go a different route if you are not happy.

Garry: Safe trip.

Willie: Safe return. Meanwhile it's a real turnabout when the young people ask the older folk to turn down the music, eh?

Ray: It's supposed to work. :rolleyes: The need to report that it worked speaks volumes about the quality of contemporary electronics.

Also speaking volumes is that this post posted itself in the midst of composing it...I'm going to blame that on my arthritic hands striking a key accidently for now, but I really think it's something else? I did get to run a train and a switching scenario this morning, one that was set up 10 days ago. Starting to feel real good with all the steroid running through my system, becoming fearful of what I'll fear when it wears off, next week...

Boris

Last edited:
Afternoon fellers. Going back to my mountain building. Boris- you have brought up an idea I haven't even thought of. Using stacked foam. I do have some on hand I could use. I'll have to play with the idea. Willie- yes my coal loads can be removed in all hoppers. Makes it easier to switch out empties and loads.

Good Morning All. Another foggy morning here in Gulf Shores AL with 72°. Seems to be warming up slightly back home with 51°, however this is still 20° below normal/average for this time of year. Still doing pretty much nothing but relaxing here in Gulf Shores. Made a short side trip up to Foley AL yesterday to visit their historical museum and watch the O scale model RR layout. Watched dolphins jump up and down out in the water, from our balcony, they were about 75' off-shore. There was at least two of them doing several jumps and they returned twice later in the day.
I'm back sorta. Just had to chauffeur one of the group to the donut store over in neighboring Orange Beach. Since I rarely eat any donuts, I'm not sure why Gulf Shores donuts aren't just as good?
Speaking of our little group, it is an eclectic bunch. My wife and her sister in Tennessee organize this trip every year and the group has gotten larger over time. There's nine of us now, three couples and three additional ladies. Another couple had to drop out at the last minute, hence the extra bedroom. We range in age from 63 (2), 66 (3), 68 (2), 70 (1) and 81(1). There;s four young college girls staying in the house next door that asked us to turn the music down last night. I politely pointed out that all of us were hard of hearing and we had to play it loud. I also pointed out that it would end before 9:00 because no one could stay up later than that! I invited them up to drink beer and party with us which they declined. They chuckled and put up with us. I spotted at least three bottles of wine on their balcony table afterwards.

Johnny -
"ascenerizing" - Is that a new word for us to learn?
Joe - Pneumonia - what a drag. Hope that you are feeling better real soon. I don't watch much TV other than Fox Business News from Stuart Varney's opening until about ten minutes after the market opens, but you're right on about the insurance commercials. Politically we're having a pretty nasty fight here in Texas with incumbent Senator Ted Cruz and Democratic challenger Beto O'Rourke. When I pass through the living room while my wife's watching TV, that's all that I see and hear.
Justin - Excellent hopper line-up. I don't remember if you have ever posted whether those loads are removable.
Curt - Windows and walls are coming along nicely.
Garry - Have a safe trip.

Gotta start packing today, we're leaving for home around 0800 tomorrow morning, thus missing the rush hour in Mobile AL. Lunch in a small town BBQ joint south of Jackson MS around 1230, Spend the night in Shreveport LA after visiting a historical museum in Vicksburg MS around 1400.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie - You've heard of "accessorizing"? This is "ascenerizing." Besides, I was getting tired of "scenicking." o_O

Afternoon All,

Did a couple of small chores then worked on the build. Today I glued more inside bracing and painted them after the glue dried. I redid the framing for the freight door. Someone on the build forum I'm on pointed out my error which was good because I had missed that. I also put on window shades and the business banner name. Tomorrow I should be ready to join the 4 walls together.

Garry- Safe travels and have fun.

Willie- Thank you. Safe travels also. It looks like you have your trip planned out by the minute.

Justin- Smart. All my coal loads are permanent.

Before

20181017_110645-1512x2016.jpg

After

20181017_111319-1512x2016.jpg

Before

20181017_111430-1512x2016.jpg

After

20181017_113727-1512x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I like to keep my fleet with removable loads. That way when they make it to the marshalling yard I can remove the loads and use them in the hoppers at the tipple. Also I'll be making my own loads for my hoppers. The straight from the factory loads are great for mainline runs after the coal has settled but fresh from the tipple loads are taller. That being said 70 ton hoppers were loaded with 80 tons. 50 ton hoppers with 60. So on and so on. Good research gave me all the info I needed to model my coal loads accurately. In the meantime however I'll use what coal loads I have on hand.

I like to keep my fleet with removable loads. That way when they make it to the marshalling yard I can remove the loads and use them in the hoppers at the tipple. Also I'll be making my own loads for my hoppers. The straight from the factory loads are great for mainline runs after the coal has settled but fresh from the tipple loads are taller. That being said 70 ton hoppers were loaded with 80 tons. 50 ton hoppers with 60. So on and so on. Good research gave me all the info I needed to model my coal loads accurately. In the meantime however I'll use what coal loads I have on hand.
Yes, you either need to have removable loads or double up on the cars, so you can swap empty for full cars. Some things you just can't make removable and sometimes it's hard to make removable loads so they don't show the joint line. I tossed up with the removable idea for the pulpwood load I made, but with the particular load I did, it was probably possible, but it would have been difficult to put together so it was free enough to slip in and out.

Good evening gang,
I have a bit to catch up on.
Monday morning while getting ready to leave for work I was struck with a terrible pain in my back between my shoulder blades, along with profuse sweating, finger tingling and a little difficulty breathing. GF sat me down and called 911. Off to the local hopsickle I went and after cat scans, EEGs, EKGs, a stress test , more cat scans and finally a heart cath, they still dont know what was wrong. They are sure my ticker had a flicker, but they don't know what. The only real effect I have now is a sore tailbone and lower back from the bed I was in. About as comfortable as a medieval rack, and soft as a brick. Came home this morning and hung out with the pooch all day. I'll try work tomorrow.

Terry how is the other half doing?

Willie you party animal you ! :D;)

Curt the building is coming along nicely.

Garry, safe travels.

Good evening all!

Don't push it Karl. Did they give you any meds (Pills) to pop under your tongue or the Nitrolingual pumpspray to do likewise if you have another attack. They relax the viens in the extremities to relieve the pressure on the heart, just got to be careful, 'cause they can make you light headed. Otherwise carry Aspirin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back