Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truckdad aka Dave: That video of the truck going over is horrible! Geez - that's an expensive mistake!

We drove that road from Ferndale to Capetown to Petrolia to Honeydew and back to the 101. If I ever decide that I want to get away from everything - that's where I'm headed. It's beautiful, but very desolate. A couple huge ranches in the Capetown area and very few people in those small towns. Met several large log trucks zinging around those sharp turns on the mountain roads. Truly "The Lost Coast".

TERRY, If i am going to spend that kind of money - why not just build one that I can ride in?
Good Lord - that is impressive!
I didn't know that they had jet engines? Had no idea.

TERRY, If i am going to spend that kind of money - why not just build one that I can ride in?
Good Lord - that is impressive!
I didn't know that they had jet engines? Had no idea.
I got a surprise too, when I spotted an article on the front of a model airplane mag. Apparently have had true turbines since the '90's.

Our weather for the last week or more has had lot's of rain. The wife's been feeding the local birdlife for a while now and the wet has them looking for food. The last couple of days we've been getting those as well that usually feed on nectar. Here's a couple of pics of the native seed eating Pidgeons, with the Rainbow Lorikeets, butting in
IMG_5911.JPG

The Pidgeons, which are know as "Woody Tops" because of the feathers that stick up on their heads like Woodpeckers (hence the Woody reference) are up on the rotary clothesline, fluffing themselves up to keep warm
IMG_5910.JPG

You might be able to spot the head feathers in this pic
IMG_5908.JPG

Hello fellow RR friends, I've reading past posts, the one's about track cleaning were interesting as I did get one of my old Climax locs with a string of six shorty flat cars to slowly back-up and then pull forward but the rail is probably fairly dirty from months of non-use. I'm still using my Old MDC Box Cab
Diesel track cleaner which seems to do a good job of keeping the railheads free of dirt.
I have a work train made up, complete with a Blacksmiths car. It's a slow process but enjoyable too. I also use Woodland Scenic's hand wand with the cleaning pads with the groves in them as they follow the rails easily for tough to clean spots.

. Now, off to track cleaning using the hand wand initially as I think the rails are fairly dirty!

Have good day today,

David

Scrappy, screechy, little blighters
IMG_5915.JPG

Never mind the rain
IMG_5916.JPG

He's just pickin' a spot to dive bomb
IMG_5917.JPG

There he goes
IMG_5918.JPG

Good Morning All. 78° and clear here in Gulf Shores AL Back home it is 39° and raining. Good thing that I stashed firewood in the house before I left. Walked the beach for a while yesterday, along with the myriad of jellyfish that seemed to get trapped by the receding tide every morning, I spotted an octopus and a little distance away, one of our friends watched a stingray. Later I went on a successful bikini quest since our group is a "sea of cellulite". There's four young ladies staying at the house next door, and eight young couples staying three doors down. Went for supper further east in Orange Beach AL, about four miles away, at a restaurant that we've been to in the past. It's on a bay called Wolf Bay on the north side of this island. We sat on the patio and looked at yachts moored right next to the place, watched tug boats headed home for the night toward the Intercoastal Waterway and saw a switcher pushing some covered hoppers west bound on the other side of the bay.
OK, I already miss the train shed!:(

Chet - Nice shots of the steamer.
Curt - Dodged a bullet with the fuel line, no fun for sure.
Dave - Interesting video. Hope that the driver was OK. Nice start on the benchwork.
Terry - That's some awesome video. I never realized that they had turbine engines for RC planes before.
Ray - Been reading all of your posts regarding the camera. Eventually you will win this one.
David - Hello and welcome back. I also have one of those Woodland Scenics wands that I fortunately don't use much. It is mighty convenient for when I actually do.

I smell the coffee pot that the housemates have on a timer. I don't do coffee and two others (of nine) had one cup each yesterday, and the entire 40 cup machine was empty in less than two hours. Crazy!!!
OK, time to go for my morning walk. Going to walk west this morning to see what's there. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 58, heading for a high of 78. That looks like the high temp for quite a while ahead, temps for the rest of the week are going to be in the mid 60s or lower. And last week, it was nearly 90.

Good Morning ... Supposed to reach 79 today with high fluffy clouds. While we were gone apparently we had a humongous thunderstorm with a tremendous display of thunder and lightening - must have left about an inch of rain.
It's been about 6 months since narry a drop!

Curt - That disconnected fuel line could have been a disaster! You dodged a bullet there!
Toot - You have really gone to the birds. (good photos in the rain though)
Willie - Sounds as if you are enjoying your walks - and the weather there.

I see that David called and left a message - don't know why but sometimes my phone messages are days late showing up ... most text messages show up pretty quick?

Got an RV to "muck out" this morning - so, better get moving after another cup of coffeee.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning. Picked up my truck. No apology but they say they had 2 different mechanics check the fittings. So far so good.:rolleyes:. Tomorrow a guy is coming to the house for the dishwasher repair. On Friday son and I will probably go to the range for awhile.

Today I applied a white paint wash on the wood walls (Tamiya White mixed with Blue Window Washer Fluid). I will decide tomorrow if I'm going to apply another coat. I also had to replicate a small window wall since I destroyed the original one:confused:. The windows are not glued in.

TruckDad- Nice start. Do you live in HI or just visiting?

Garry- I know. The whole episode "frosted my flakes" so to speak.

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Toot- Are those birds dangerous? I'm asking because every show you see about Aussie animals everything is either dangerous, will kill you, or eat you!

20181015_135442-1512x2016.jpg

Fellers! I know it's been some time since I've posted last. Decided not to tackle track work over the weekend. Not by choice however. Misses wants me to clean my space. So I spent the weekend sorting through my boxes. Alot of junk I'll never use. Finally got the final hopper count I need. Total for my layout is 15. After some work I managed 15 70 and 50 ton hoppers. I have to sideline my 100 ton ones for space reasons. But they will be close at hand. Now I can move boxes I don't need out of the way. Once this task is complete I'll work my track issues. In closing. I'll share a photo of one of my favorite spots I've liked to railfan. A double track through two tunnels. Fort Springs, WV.
31738146110_4dcc9c85ba_b.jpg

TruckDad- Nice start. Do you live in HI or just visiting?
CURT I live in N. Calif. Just a short vacation to celebrate the 45 yrs of marriage my wife has endured. On the benchwork,? now I'm starting to wonder what I have started. Seeing everyones layouts and workbenches here make me realize how far I have to go and how little I know. 1 step at a time I guess.
Dave

CURT I live in N. Calif. Just a short vacation to celebrate the 45 yrs of marriage my wife has endured. On the benchwork,? now I'm starting to wonder what I have started. Seeing everyones layouts and workbenches here make me realize how far I have to go and how little I know. 1 step at a time I guess.
Dave
Congratulations on 45 years. Don't worry about the other folk's layout's. We all started where you are now. Your benchwork looks good. Ask questions and you will get answers and then you will know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back