Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray - Sorry. Didn't mean to cause you any problems. looking forward to see what your video looks like.
I was just doing the politician there Chet, always blame someone else. I've got fingers and toes crossed, just got to remember not to cross the eyes.. I can only preview on the camera while there.

Good morning Everybody!

The reasons I have been AWOL are many. My mysterious health problems for one. Doctors can't tell me why I intermittently lose my appetite and energy, Not to mention feeling like crap when it happens. I've done everything they have asked of me, but I can't undo my past. No regrets, not many can say they have had the fun I did! :)

The good news is I am rebounding! "never give up, never give in", better yet "Never Say Die"!

Add to that I was busy doing my 2017 taxes by the extended deadline of October 15th. The good news, the state of MD did not audit me this time! The bad news, it looks as though the Feds will audit me this time. What do these guys do, take turns?
"It's a hard road, carry your own load"
"Forget all your sorrows, don't live in the past. Look to the future because life goes to fast you know"

Finally, In between I've been working around the house and for Amazon. When I feel good that is. No worries Willie, I only work a few hours (10-20) a month for Amazon and even less around the house!

These boys have the right idea! "Beat the World"!

Thank God for toy trains and music!

Why do the propellors turn one way and then go the other way Terry? Does that help them turn corners?
I know that was in jest, but most modern propeller-driven aircraft have variable pitch propellers. You can set them to a higher angle for takeoff and climbing, flatten the angle for higher altitude cruising, and even reverse the angle, so you can back away from the terminal, or assist in slowing the aircraft when landing.
Though in the video, it was just an optical illusion.

I know that was in jest, but most modern propeller-driven aircraft have variable pitch propellers. You can set them to a higher angle for takeoff and climbing, flatten the angle for higher altitude cruising, and even reverse the angle, so you can back away from the terminal, or assist in slowing the aircraft when landing.
Though in the video, it was just an optical illusion.

Ahhh, so it's a bit like the stage coach wheels in the old western movies (just as well I asked if it helped them turn corners)

You can use the variable pitch to assist in cornering on the ground, though brakes and rudders work, as well.

Good Morning Guys. 53° and foggy here in beautiful North Central Texas. Looks like the rain that has been here for the whole week that I was gone, has moved off to the east. We didn't get slammed as much as folks immediately south of here in Dallas, there was only 4.15" in the rain gauge for the whole week. Looks like the young neighbor girl did her job, as both cats are still here. Did some unpacking and laundry after we got home, but mostly just relaxed. Still have stuff in the car that didn't get unloaded due to the rain.
One of the many highlights of making this annual trip to Gulf Shores AL, is the bridges on IH10. The grandest is the Horace Wilkerson Bridge in Baton Rouge LA across the Mississippi River. The whole structure is about 2 2/3 miles long with the superstructure of about .9 miles. It is the highest bridge across the entire Mississippi River.

1540040424774.png

Picture courtesy of Wikipedia.
Another one in LA is the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge somewhere between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. It is notable to me because it is 18.5 miles long roughly. It crosses numerous rivers, bayous, swamps, lakes and channels.
The third one that makes an impression on me is the 7.5 mile Jubilee Parkway on the east side of Mobile AL crossing Mobile Bay. One can see the battleship Alabama on the west end.

Finally visited the train shed late yesterday. All of the townspeople seemed OK, despite being under blackout conditions for 6 days. Engineers were happy to get back to work. I ran a train of 89' autoracks and 85' TOFC's around the upper loop using the passing siding track that crosses the "duckunder" with it's 25" radius, just to see how they would react. No problems. The tight radius was unavoidable there due to track geometry at one end of the siding. I hadn't originally planned for the passing siding to cross the currently fixed "removable bridge" across the entryway into the shed; but I added it at the last minute just because I could!:p The main has a 32" radius which is mostly what exists across the entire layout. It will take a couple of days to reacquaint myself with other goings-on.
Pictures from the trip later on, I didn't take many.

Johnny - Kudos to you and all the book sale volunteers. I am still a book person, I don't like reading books on a screen. Although I do read forums, MRH and news articles on a screen, go figure!
Joe - I have found that the nurse practitioners at my doctors office are actually quite good. They just don't seem to be as rushed as the doctor, although he does spend as much time as needed with me. Most times he is in the office and comes by after they do all of the routine examining.
Chet -
May have to put a new roof on it.
Gotta have something to do now that you're retired. Cafe still looks good. Good luck with the switcher. I just hate to retire anything on my railroad.
Louis - Regarding your health, is it possible that some medications are interfering or reacting negatively with others? I used to know a fellow that took 13 prescriptions a day and claimed that he felt lousy all of the time. On a whim one week, he quit taking all of them. He claimed that he hadn't felt so good in years. About three or four weeks later, he visited his doctor who freaked out about what he did. Part of the doctor's issue (he didn't admit to) was most of the drugs were tier 4 or 5 ones that he got a substantial kickback from. However, he did look at all of them and determind that there were some that didn't perform well together and put together a whole new plan. The fellow started taking all of them and eventually felt bad again, although not as badly as before. He was also a bit of a hypochondriac so part of this was his own fault. This is not meant to infer that you are a hypochondriac, just check to see if medications are all compatible.

I better quit practicing medicine today! It's time to get the rest of our stuff out of the car.
Everybody have a great day and an excellent weekend.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all
Just quietly lurking with a box of Kleenex. It seems I brought something home with me from my hospital stay earlier this week. Imagine that, getting sick after visiting a building full of sick people!!

Afternoon All,

Didn't post yesterday because the night before I got almost no sleep and I felt like I was moving in Molasses all day. Today I applied the stucco to the building. I'm going to let it dry overnight. I also painted the inside bracing black, and painted the detail parts.

Thank you to Willie, Johnny, Joe, and Chet for your kind words and anyone I might of missed.

Willie- I'm sure you're glad to be home although it means more work.

Johnny- We help out twice a year at daughter's elementary school (teacher) for the book fair. We're retired but they are long days.

Chet- Great layout pictures. You have nothing to lose by trying to fix the switcher.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....cold and snowy in Wisconsin. Just arrived home from the cabin where we had snow on last Saturday night and a minor snow storm this morning. Too early for this type of weather!!! Spent a week at the cabin doing weather proofing and getting ready for the winter season.

Tried to keep up with the Forum on my smart phone, but not the easiest to read on the small screen.

My Tony's Train's order arrived with today's mail.

Tomorrow is a train layout day and with no real plans.

Seeing the wood weathered flat cars, makes me want to to the same with several of mine. I have four flat cars that were built by the late Don Manlick, a MMR and a manufacture of decals from Wisconsin, his cars had wood decking or painted the plastic decks to appear to be wood.

Has anyone heard how Digitrax survived the storm in Panama City, FL?

That's are for now.

Greg

#################

You can use the variable pitch to assist in cornering on the ground, though brakes and rudders work, as well.

Ahhh ... Humm ... No - That won't work! You can advance the throttle on the outside of the turn, use the rudder if connected to the nose and/or tail wheel, or use the tiller (connected to the nose wheel). Simply changing the pitch will do minimal help without advancing the throttle and one would be hard pressed to manipulate both throttle and pitch together in opposite directions.

Toot -- The twin engine P-38 WW2 fighter would make you happy - It had counter rotating props - hence no side torque on throttle advancement.

A short (operative intent) report from today's club visitation. Vis-a-vis the camera. Got a bit of video, until it wouldn't do what it's supposed to i.e. turn on off with the stop/go button. But the day started off well. Got the two operating NS locos I have ( Intermountain ES44AC NS Heritage #8114 and Kato SD80MAC #7216, both Loksound) consisted and running together pretty well. Isolated that yard track so they didn't keep idling while I set out the train of Cats etc and turned it back on. Locos started back up and I advanced the throttle.

Immediate short circuit, all short protection light bulb lit up (this is where this type of short protection fails to protect). Checked along all wheels, nothing off. Then I remembered the problem I'd had before and started taking cars off, Sure enough, 1 car was shorting even though it wasn't derailed. Looked at it's wheelsets. Yup, another crossed single insulated set of metal wheels/axles on the all metal truck. And which car. Of course. the one I've just put the excavators on and forgot to check the trucks. So, I had to sacrifice running one off a Dozer car to swap trucks with.

With the camera playing up etc etc, I came home, had a rest and seeing that was 2 out of 4 cars like that, I'd better check the other 25. So far I've checked 12. Of that 12, 3 have been OK, some of the other 9 have had 2 trucks so affected. That's a ratio so far of 3 to 1. I see no sign of that improving. How many of these cars that MTH have sent to market are like this, let alone the other problem of the axle caps falling off (4 so far from the 4 worked on with 1 lost.) And the problem of the shorting axles? Easily prevented, Double insulated wheels. Increase in cost? Zilch.

I am SERIOUSLY peeved.

Ray, you can configure both of those NS engines to start up and shut down on their own, independently. It's called smart start, and it can be off, on "one minute" and on "two minute".
It adds to the realism when those things do their fuel-saver shutdowns, and "air pressure/temperature too low" startups.

Updating post #337. Of the 29 MTH cars purchased, only 10 are currently usable, 12 have 1 truck affected and 7 have both trucks affected. A total of 26 trucks in all affected. I can see a recall. Comparing the trucks on this 2nd release of these cars (and I imagine they are also used on the boxcars they make) and the first release, it's plain that at least the wheelsets are quite different, especially in the design of the back of the wheels. The early ones have a much bolder boss where the axle penetrates the wheel, which is matched by the insulator pressed through the opposite wheel, Easily seen for identifying which is which. These latest ones are no where near as distinct, particularly the insulator, where the boss is almost non existant often.

26 faulty trucks on 29 cars is a disgrace, and I shall be telling MTH so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back