Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WILLIE- Is that Mexican - TEXAN - or CUBAN Spanish ??

Phil
Terry got it right, Texican. It comes from over 40 years of being "el jefe" (the boss) at work. Many Texans like myself, are somewhat fluent in Spanish just through association. It's amazing to see the surprised look on some Mexicans' faces when an old white guy responds to what they think is a private conversation, with a well-chosen Spanish response!:) I am however, losing it a bit without that daily interaction. Cubans speak real Spanish, much of the Mexican Spanish contains Anglicized slang.

Good morning, everybody ...

Justin ... Nice photos of C&O and Chessie.

WIllie ..... You have an impressive fleet of Santa Fe locomotives.

CCoffran ... Thanks for the video.

Everybody .... Have a god day.

Last edited:
Terry got it right, Texican. It comes from over 40 years of being "el jefe" (the boss) at work. Many Texans like myself, are somewhat fluent in Spanish just through association. It's amazing to see the surprised look on some Mexicans' faces when an old white guy responds to what they think is a private conversation, with a well-chosen Spanish response!:) I am however, losing it a bit without that daily interaction. Cubans speak real Spanish, much of the Mexican Spanish contains Anglicized slang.
Willie, I too have seen that amazed look on some Mexicans faces when I speak Spanish. While I am not as fluent as I would like to be, my Mexican friends say my accent is perfect. Once in a while some will look close at me and say, are you Mexican? And I just say; No, soy gringo patarejada! Growing up and working with my Mexican friends, I learned a lot of stuff they didn't teach in school, not to mention their great sense of humor.
Dave in PV

Good morning. 44 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the 60's again. My son got the lawn mowed yesterday and it's looking good. If we don't keep up with it it would look like a hay field in no time.

Justin - Again, outstanding photos.

CCoffran - Thanks for the Big Boy video. Over the years we have ridden behind the 844 and the 3985 and I am hoping to get down to Cheyenne to see and hopefully ride behind the 4014. I am wondering if they canabalized the 3985 in order to get the 4014 operational again as I have heard that many of the parts are interchangeable.

Willie - Lots of Santa Fe power there. Years ago I took four years of French in high school and was able to pick up languages very easily. From the French, Italian and Spanish was extremely easy. While in the Navy, we had pulled into Monaco. One of my duties was setting up the watch list for the division and I assigned my buddy and myself shore parto; duty in Nice, France which was right next to Monaco. After out duty time was complete, we were enjoying the sights and a couple of very nice looking young ladies were sort of staring at us and I overheard one say to the other that they should bring us home with them. I came back to them in french that we were free for the evening. They both suddenly were glowing red. We did end up having a nice dinner with them before returning to the ship. We were home ported in Gaeta, Italy at the time and I was extremely fluent in Italian also and my Spanish wasn't too bad. Another of my responsibilities was repair and calibration of all of the test equipment for out fire control radars and once a month I would take my equipment to Rota, Spain for calibration as they were the masters that I used to calibrate the ships equipment. I also had no problem with Spanish until I got out of the service. In south Florida there were a lot of Cuban and Puerto Ricans and I quickly learned that all Spanish wasn't the same. Not so good with Mexican either.

I finally got to visit the train room yesterday for the first time in over a week and got to run trains and do some switching. I also put the JL mail boxes on the layout that I picked up in Billings last week. Always looking for detail items and these fit right into my era.

thumbnail_20190504_162357.jpgthumbnail_20190504_162427.jpgthumbnail_20190504_162839.jpg

NASCAR today in Dover rained out. Catch you later.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, thanks for the comments on the caboose, it is coming along well, see below

Justin-- I LOVE the photo of the skinny depot/tower combo in the top photo

Willie-- nice Sante Fe lineup, to answer your question the caboose kit is AMB and is a recent purchase, still available

current progress:

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

Here the roof walk is done, the floor and bottom is getting detailed. I used some JB weld by the steps to reinforce them and so they could handle some rough service.

In the background you can see another old timer box car I am putting on together as well. Looks like I have 8 of these done so far, in addition to 4 old timer 30' flat cars and 2 40' flat cars

IMG_1266.JPG

more later, Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 141
Willie, Chet, et al, I saw an Anthony Bourdain show where he was doing a profile of food in the US Southwest, and he got into a discussion of the local version of Spanish. It seems that it's directly descended from the Spanish of the conquistadors, and is to modern Spanish as Shakespearean English is to modern English. Apparently, visitors from Spain tend to think the locals are mocking them.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier but nothing in the train room. We have been having thunderstorms passing thru most the afternoon.

Justin- Nice photos. I feel the same about Pennsy PL signals.

Willie- Nice looking motive power.

Chet- Very nice scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy with gusty winds of 3 mph! Expecting a high in the upper 80's later today, then the rains return tomorrow evening, maybe. Hey there Francine, where's Flo? Running late, OK. Make it a plate full of sausage and a pair of over-easy eggs for me this morning, along with the usual orange juice. Looks like today I can resume mowing that hayfield that I call a yard, after nearly 5" of rain last week. No dew this morning, so I can start early.

Thanks for yesterday's comments and likes regarding the various SD40-2's; Phil, Justin, Garry, Sherrel, Jerome, Chet, Dave, Curt and Tom.

Shortened day in the train shed yesterday, church and household tasks had priority. Played around a bit with an idea that Beady posted about sometime last winter. It was all about using discarded circuit boards to represent machinery in structures with lots of windows. I just happen to have many of those, but one in particular that I am using in my current scenery project, Whitaker Bros. Printing, Inc. It's a City Classic's model called "Smallman Street Warehouse". I happen to have two nearly identical boards.
05-06-19 001.JPG

The other one has beige rectangular boxes on the right; it is the one that I added to the middle floor of my model.

05-06-19 003.JPG

05-06-19 007.JPG

Not too shabby. I intend to blast it with a shot of Dull Coat and to add some figures as well. I will look around for another board or just reverse and add the second one from the workbench to the upper floor. Might even add some small blocks of wood or other debris to both to provide some variety. It's definitely an idea worth playing around with. Thanks to Beady for implanting this concept in my head.
Otherwise, I just added a bit more ground cover and played around with structure placement elsewhere. Right now I am just making small steps and won't make much progress today due to the pending yard maintenance.

Clint and others - I have been enjoying all of the recent Big Boy videos. One thing that they all show is that there are places (Wyoming) that are more desolate than West Texas.LOL:cool:
Garry - Have a safe trip tomorrow and enjoy your visit.
Joe - Did you happen to see the non-whistle in the Dallas-St Louis hockey playoff game yesterday? Fans seem split on whether play should have been stopped. Wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome of the game though.

RANT: OK, I am going to bring this up again. Earlier this morning I tried to add a picture to this post. Didn't happen. I then attempted to open a different thread on this forum and got the "Website unavailable" error message, or something similar. Tried other websites and had no issues. This has happened to me numerous times in the past, almost always at this time of day but the moderators here assured me that it was my ISP. NO, because every other website worked. This site went off-line for a few minutes and no one knows why or wants to admit it. I noted that it happened to Terry last Wednesday when he tried to open the new Coffee Shop! It's misleading and frustrating because you can continue to type in the "Reply" box but you can't add attachments, and if you attempt to post, it can be lost. The site eventually comes back online after about ten minutes or so. End of rant.

Everybody have a great day. It looks to be an awesome beginning to another wonderful week.

Good morning all, time for another cup of coffee.

I had to leave some bad feedback on a seller on ebay today. Glued his shipping label directly to the box and in removing, a bunch of the paper got torn off with the tape. Looks like crap but the seller doesn't seem to think it is an issue. Item was listed as "new".

Willie-- sorry to hear about your computer issue. When I first started with the new program a couple months ago I was having slow problems, but not for some unknown issue it works fine on my computer.

I got some more work done on the caboose, next project is bending and applying all the railings,

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Luckily they have holes pre drilled for the grabs. I got them bent last night using a neat jig, will start applying them today I hope.

more later, Dave

Morning all,

Coffee and one of those warm cinnamon rolls this morning, Thanks Flo.

Mostly sunny and 57 in Doo-Dah this morning. Had severe storms with tornado warnings in the area last evening, more on tap for the next few days

Playing catch up from the weekend. I really enjoy you guys and your photos and videos.

CCoffran: Thank you very much for posting the videos on UP X4014. I've been trying to keep up with where it was at in the restoration process and was very pleased to see it now running.

no real work on the trains over the weekend as it was crazy and will be over the next couple of weeks, with grandkids school programs and getting ready for a vacation in the next few weeks. I did uncouple the bridge as the knees weren't having the duck under. When it goes back into place, it will be as the completed lift. I have to get the wiring completed and angle the rails to accept the bridge rail to allow smooth transition.

Howdy ..

WIllie .... Nice warehouse. Thanks for the well wishes for our trip.

Dave .... Thmbs up on your caboose .

Out-of-town train friend and his wife arrived here. They will flay with me and my wife to Utah tomorrow.

Cheers

Good Morning (mid day to most of you), I'm sitting in the upstairs "Den" at the top of the stairs leading to the laundry and bedrooms where I am looking out towards the South and across the street at a Yougge! hawk sitting on the neighbors chimny top - he has been there forov er 1/2 hour probably looking for a mouse. lizard, or maybe even a small dog? O.K. - Outside of a small raincloud (heavy drizzle for you folks) not too much excitement. It is mostly cloudy with the sun trying to find it's way through - supposed to only be 65 or so today - seems to be on the cool side - I thought we would be pushing the 80's this time of year.
We went to a 65th Birthday Party for the next to youngest Bunco fellow Saturday night. WOW - the food (potluck) was simply just the best ever. There were so many great looking and tasting dishes that I had to make a second run around the table.
I managed to "stuff down" enough that I was just miserable the remainder of the evening. I should know better!
Just learned that my son, lives in the Apache Junction area, lost his wife's horse. He feels about their horses as I do my puppies. I as not aware that the horse was ill - sad.
Speaking of horses - my Brother in Law just returned from somewhere in Northern CA where he was on a week's roundup - sleeping in a tent - hearding cows by day - anyway, not my cup of tea.

Garry - pretty sad - that you have to take a plane to get to where the train is? Have a great time!
DAVE - The cab is looking great.
Willie - Like what you have done with the factory buildings - capital idea!

Better get moving - chores to do today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back