Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier, and the first of the flat car kits finally came in. I start at the school Thursday, Fri and all next week. This Sat. we are celebrating Mother's Day and a family friend's Birthday.

Willie- It looks very good.

Dave- Great looking caboose.

Garry- Safe travels. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

Sherrel- Condolences to your son.

20190506_134506-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone...............overcast and 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. RAin coming our way the next few days.

Home from a weekend at the cabin all by myself. Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my chair looking out at the woods through the eight foot sliding doors in the great room while enjoying a Supersized Brandy Manhattan with cherries. Life couldn't get any better and retirement is good.

Came home and found the shipment of oil paints and camel's hair brushes for the oil weathering projects arrived. The Mrs. cut some lily pads for me after I told her about my furute project of making some lily pads and let her watch Garry Leone's video on making the lily pads. She used a paper punch to make them out of packaging materials from some organic snack after I remarked that the coloring of the bag would make good lily pads. Wait until she has to cut the "V" notches in each pad!!!

On my list for tomorrow is to finally take some photographs of the LED lighting I installed on the over-pass bridge over the RIX Interchange.

Still have to unpack my Walther's purchase from last Thursday.

Not much to report.

Later......

Greg

####################

Train Car Bridge.jpg

I don't know where I found this photograph, but there's a prototype for everything I guess. -Greg

Joe - Did you happen to see the non-whistle in the Dallas-St Louis hockey playoff game yesterday? Fans seem split on whether play should have been stopped. Wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome of the game though.
No, Willie, I missed the game. I thought it was a evening game. I'll have to look for highlight video.
Sherrel: Sorry to hear of the loss of the horse. I like horses a lot.

Willie, Dave, Chet et all, I have been remiss in commenting on your work. I especially like the NP Cabin Car build, and the Smallman St Warehouse interior. I have also enjoyed the videos of Uncle Pete's Big Boy!

Garry: Enjoy the festivities in Utah.

Just occurred to me that I'm missing Boston at Columbus.

Boris

Good Afternoon Everyone...............overcast and 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. RAin coming our way the next few days.

Home from a weekend at the cabin all by myself. Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my chair looking out at the woods through the eight foot sliding doors in the great room while enjoying a Supersized Brandy Manhattan with cherries. Life couldn't get any better and retirement is good.

Came home and found the shipment of oil paints and camel's hair brushes for the oil weathering projects arrived. The Mrs. cut some lily pads for me after I told her about my furute project of making some lily pads and let her watch Garry Leone's video on making the lily pads. She used a paper punch to make them out of packaging materials from some organic snack after I remarked that the coloring of the bag would make good lily pads. Wait until she has to cut the "V" notches in each pad!!!

On my list for tomorrow is to finally take some photographs of the LED lighting I installed on the over-pass bridge over the RIX Interchange.

Still have to unpack my Walther's purchase from last Thursday.

Not much to report.

Later......

Greg

####################

View attachment 36462

I don't know where I found this photograph, but there's a prototype for everything I guess. -Greg
Greg, out here in Nevada Co, we call that a "covered" bridge. Kinda like the one 10 miles from me and quite famous I might add.
(That's my friend & spouse)
Dave in PV
IMG_2002.JPG

Wow, as Summer looms on the horizon, activity here on this forum is dwindling more and more each day!

Morning all,

Rainy and 60 this morning and it was stormy all night. Supposed to be off and on rain with thunderstorms the remainder of the day with them turning severe overnight.

I have a weather radio, which is great for telling me about the storms coming in, but I live in the largest county in Kansas. Do I really need to know about storms 70 miles away (and moving away from me) as the radio only tracks by county.

I did get a little time last night to rework the bridge approach I wasn't happy with.

Good Morning All. 63° and partly cloudy. How about a couple of sausage biscuits for me this morning, Flo. Weather forecasters have backed off the chances of rain for later today, maybe someone looked at the radar and saw nothing! Still in the forecast for tomorrow. I spent well over three hours mowing yesterday, not because I mowed a greater area, but the grass was extra lush and thick after all of the rain last week. I estimate that I got 1.75 acres done yesterday, only about 1.25 more to go. I'll actually start the day with the weedeater first though, as it looks a bit ragged where I usually use it. Weeds in the garden need some attention as well. Speaking of the garden, it isn't as plentiful this year as normal because it rained too much earlier in the season when I should have been planting, (that hasn't changed). I have been picking and eating asparagus, radishes and green onions from there. About half of the tomatoes are planted; the other half have been transplanted into medium-sized plastic flower pots waiting for the area to dry up enough to dig holes.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the printing company structure yesterday; Patrick, Chet, Phil, Sherrel, Jerome, Garry, Curt, Joe and everyone else.

The last major diesel purchase made by ATSF before the merger into BNSF was GE's Dash 9-44CW. They purchased 100 of them, numbered 600-699, although later on #666 was renumbered as 599. The tail end of my modeling era includes this diesel series.
I recently pre-ordered a pair of them from ScaleTrains which are due to arrive this summer. I already have six others, here's a pair from Athearn.
05-06-19 008.JPG

I have an additional older pair from Athearn that includes a non-powered one.
Here is a pair from Kato.
05-06-19 009.JPG

Note that the Kato models have the hood/cab grabs painted the incorrect color! They should be red, not silver. All six of them need some upgrading, for example, none came with MU hoses. ScaleTrains offers an upgrade kit for converting their "operator" series models to "rivet counter" quality. The ones that I ordered are already "rivet counter" models; that's the only way they offer ATSF models on their first-run. I'm going to order some of the upgrade kits and I am assuming that they would work on Athearn and Kato models with minimum alteration.

Everything is on hold out in the train shed. After all of the mowing and other outdoor chores yesterday, I didn't much feel like modeling, and just had a few beers, perused the latest MRR and Trains magazines and ran trains. Had to quit early to fire up the grill later on.

Dave -
Luckily they have holes pre drilled for the grabs.
That will surely save on broken drill bits! Although I have much better success with wood than plastic.
Sherrel - Sorry to read about the horse. Condolences to the family.

OK Everybody have a wonderful day, whatever day it is! I lose track now that I am retired!:)

Good morning all, I think it is the summer activities taking over. At least with me after a brutal winter I find myself wanting to enjoy the fresh new green!

Greg-- interesting photo of the passenger car "bridge". We used flat cars up in Northern Minnesota for logging access across several streams, would cross them with a semi loaded with pulpwood.

Willie-- just about every day we are posting at the same time, I have noticed. Those pre drilled holes on the caboose were mainly a guide location, I found out. Some of them were complete but for the most part they needed reaming to get the grabs in. It was tricky to not damage something else while holding the caboose to get everything together.

I got some more done on the caboose last night, was able to affix most of the handrails. They included a jig to bend them with and it worked well until about the last 3 when I managed to break it in half. Still able to make everything I needed:

IMG_0497.jpg

Next I will be painting them and adding the trucks and decals, then it goes on the display

more later, Dave

Good morning, y'all. 55° and cloudy. Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

Willie: That's quite a fleet you're building. I would imagine that the Scale trains upgrade kit will work with Athearn and Kato.It's the same locomotive, so it would be no different than using parts from other detail suppliers, and the best part is they are specific for that locomotive.

Dave: Tha caboose build is moving right along. It looks real good. Bending handrails and grab irons has never been easy for me..You are doing fine.

Boris

Good morning. 36 degrees to start off the day with a high expected in the 60's.

Flo, how about a couple of cackleberries over easy, bacon, home fries and an english muffin.

Didn't get to check in yesterday as the rain delayed race at Dover started at 10 Am here and then I had some chores to do. Did get 4 more crossing signals in the mail yesterday and I am hoping to get a few of them set in place and then wait for the flashing units.

Clint - Really am enjoying the Big Boy videos, but I think they fried that little locomotive running in in the water.

Dave
- The caboose is coming along nicely.

Curt -
I do like those little 30 foot flat cars. Dave could use a couple of them as they would fit right into the period he is modeling.

Greg - Sounds like you are really enjoying retirement.

truckdad - Like that covered bridge.

Mark - The forum is a bit more quiet this time of year as people are traveling and getting ready for summer.

Willie
- Like those dash 9's. Probably have some of them running through our area. The printing company is impressive with the interior details. Looking at the weather forecast, it looks a bit soggy in your neck of the woods. More time for the trains.

With the race rained out Sunday I did finally get to spend some time in the train room. Hadn't been down there in over a week. The yards were a bit empty as I have a lot of freight cars in the box that I take to the club for op sessions so I got to run a lot that were down in the hidden staging tracks and did a lot of switching. Here's the little 70 ton switcher at work.

20180331_114014.jpg

Later

Howdy ..... About to leave for the trip.... Thanks for the well wishes. ....

Beady .... Ha. Ha.

Willie .... Nice looking Santa Fe GE's.

Dave LASM .... Looks like you are nearly done making a great looking caboose.

Dave in PV .... Great looking covered bridge.

Chet .... Nice scene.

Cheers, everybody.

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and cool here in this part of Wisconsin.

This morning was the first day I didn't have a constant lower back pain in my left side. I still feel some tenderness, but it much improved over what it has been the last 10 or so days. It's the back muscles and just need some rest to fully heal.

Going to take it easy today and try to get some of the photos of the LED lamp posts on the bridge overpass at the Saxeville Interchange.

Chet: Yes, I am enjoying retirement and spending time at the cabin. I like nature and this part of Wisconsin has a lot to offer with the forests, varied terrain and lakes and streams. The last glacier moved some boulders leaving them in the woods and they are the size of an average size car. Just huge.

In a small town near the cabin there's a coffee shop/diner that reminds me of Flo's diner here on the Forum. Counter seating and a small table section. You can order anything anyway you like it prepared. The same cook and the same waitress is there every-time I stop for breakfast on the way to the cabin.

I'll run a train while I take the photographs using both my smart photo and digital camera.

Willie: Nice motive power photos. Your gardening is so far ahead of us, we don't plant anything tender here until Memorial Day weekend. There's always the danger of a late frost.

LASM: Your wooden caboose is taking shape!

truckdad: We have a wooden covered bridge near the cabin. The bridge is on a rural road and was build by several volunteers. Its a single lane bridge over the Pine River which is Class A trout stream. I've seen fishermen bring their catch into the local bar/grill and the owner would prepare the fish for the guys!

Mark: Most Forums or Discussion Groups slow down during summer for the reason Chet stated above.

That's all for now..............

Greg

##############################

CM&NR Logo November 15, 2018 Free.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores, then removed the flash from the car bodies. After that I reamed out the stake pockets. I was surprised and a little disappointed when I realized the entire body was molded together. When I previously built the Funaro Pennsy container flatcars there was a lot more body construction involved. I will be able to figure it out but the directions are about useless and the provided photos are dark and muddy looking.

Dave- Great work on the caboose.

Chet- Nice layout shot.

Clint- Interesting video. I was surprised how well it ran under water.

Willie- Nice looking Dash whatevers!:p

20190507_114103-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Looks like some of you enjoyed the pic of the covered bridge. It's the only thing we got to brag about here in Penn Valley, except that Chuck Yeager lives here . We do have a model railroader here but he cant seem to get back into his train room because he loves to work...…..... Here is a link on the history of the bridge if you're interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_Covered_Bridge
Dave in PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back