Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, and happy Friday! Presently 40 and sunny, headed for 63 today.

I got some more work done on the caboose yesterday, is shaping up to be a pretty easy project.

here the framework is done
IMG_0487.jpg

below getting the base piece for the roof
IMG_0488.jpg

you can see it with the cupola:

IMG_0489.jpg

don't have it glued until it is painted and the windows are in place

IMG_0490.jpg

She will be going to the paint shop before any further assembly

have a great day all, Dave

Good Morning Guys. 60° and mostly cloudy, at least it's not currently raining. The major thunderstorm headed our way yesterday morning fizzled out thankfully, and only added .1" to our over 4.5" the previous two days. Still more in today's forecast, although it's been removed from the next three days. Some of my neighbors got stranded in the rising lake across the road yesterday, but they were just dumb cows that eventually got free. All of their fellow cows got a good cleaning.
After the grocery/beer trek yesterday morning, I took my wife to the orthopedic doctor in the afternoon. He told her what I've been telling her for the last year. She needs knee replacement in both legs. Afterwards, we went out to eat at Red Lobster, where she had a few glasses of wine.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Jerome, Dave, Garry, Chet, Sherrel, Patrick, Joe, Justin, Phil, Jim and Tom. It means a lot to me.

Didn't even set foot in the train shed yesterday, but I hope to make up for that today.
Meanwhile, here's a couple of random structures that will not be in the center of the peninsula, but will be on the left side leading to the next town. I don't think that I have posted these before.

05-03-19 003.JPG

05-03-19 005.JPG

I added detailing and many figures inside this Walther's structure.
05-03-19 006.JPG

Dave - Looks like a good start to that caboose. I am looking forward to your progress.
Chet - Thanks. I have been blessed with crappy weather which curtails my outdoor activity and I can get a lot done. It helps that I have been looking at this area for over a year envisioning how I want it to look; and that I had a few of the main structures already built and ready to go. As I posted, I'll get in a good bit of time today after some household chores. I am getting the "itch to switch" though, which could take a few hours away from modeling.
Beady - I am really finding it hard to resist purchasing a drone myself. I am seeing some of those videos that fellow forum member DJ has been posting, as well as others on You Tube that really perk my interest.
Garry - I last heard from Louis on Easter Sunday, he hasn't replied to any further E-Mails since then. That one was rather short, two sentences, very unlike him. The mine is looking good. Enjoy the trip and have a safe ride.

A sort of special day in our tiny neighborhood is coming up Sunday. My human neighbor about a quarter mile west, is welcoming home her husband after seven years of incarceration. After putting 45 rounds of semi-automatic gunfire into a different neighbor's Winnebago, he had a two day armed but peaceful stand-off with the local sheriffs department; they just waited for him to surrender, while letting his wife and son come and go to work and school unimpeded. Easy overtime for the deputies as they never attempted to storm the house while he was alone in there. ATF agents later removed all firearms from the home. The neighbor that he shot at was an active law enforcement officer at the time, now retired.

Everybody have a great Friday, it's National Paranormal Day. Don't look over your shoulder!

Good morning .

Dave and WIllie .... Thanks to you also for commenting on my mine project.

Dave .... The caboose project is going very well.

Willie ........ The Diner interior is fantastic. .... Maybe it is time to send a search party to find Louis.

Have a good day, everybody.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. We started off at 28 degrees but are now heading north of 60 without a cloud in the sky.

The PT (yes, pain and torture) was intense yesterday and I am paying for it today, but I am making a lot of progress. Have a follow up appointment next Friday with the surgeon.

Karl - Good to hear about 4014.

Dave - The caboose is coming along nicely.

Ray - Interesting info on the MRL power.

Willie - Again, nice photos. Like that diner. I also have it and stuffed it with people and lit the interior.

Beady - Here are a few more cowboy pictures. The first is in Gardiner, MT with some wagons ready to take luggage to the hotel for the visitors going to Yellowstone park. Probably taken in the early 1900's. The Northern Pacific ran trains from Livingston, MT to Gardiner until the mid 50's.

Gardiner 1905.jpg

The next one was taken less than a mile from where I live at the Gallatin Gateway Inn, built by the Milwaukee Road also for Yellowstone Park visitors. They would take the limousines south around 50 miles to West Yelloowstone and the park entrance. Looking at the limousines, the photo was taken somewhere around 1936. The Inn is now on the list of National Historic Sites.

Gallatin%20Gateway%20bus.jpg

No trains today. Just want to sit in my recliner with an ice pack.

Later

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent several hours earlier today doing things on around the pool. I've packed MRR things for the club tomorrow. Starting next Thursday and all the following week I will be at daughter's school for a book fair so after Thursday I'll have limited postings until it's done.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Willie- Nice details and I really like the diner. Interesting story.

Dave- The caboose looks really nice.

Garry- The power hoist looks really neat.

Beady- Interesting history.

Chet- Interesting history also.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Some consolation. I did find a pic of both from 2009, working Laurel yard, radio control caboose in tow.
DSC06220.JPG

I have 1 Atlas caboose and 1 BB Athearn that would need modifying and relettering to represent how they look in their then and also, now appearances. No two are exactly the same. The Atlas model is much better than any other brand for detail and assembly of grabs etc is required. Walthers Trainman line is the only one done with the RC lettering, but is not very nice. Has molded on clunky roof walks.

I also got a reply back from Atlas. They only have one set in the scrap box of completely different numbers from another road, so I declined the kind offer to post them to me, but did then think to ask if the numbers were decals or embedded. If they are decals or paint, it should be possible to replace.

Morning all,

Cloudy and 54 this morning in Doo-Dah.

Doo-Dah is Wichita, KS:

Wichita is affectionately referred to as “Doo-Dah”, though the origins of this nickname are pretty unclear. Younger Wichitans suspect the name began with older generations, while some members of older generations have attributed the use of the name primarily to younger Wichitans.

Some suggest that the name “Doo-Dah” was given to Wichita in the 1950s as a way to counter the hype that surrounded the city as a result of it’s other nickname, the “Air Capital of the World”. According to an article in the Topeka Capital Journal, a California historian traced the name back to a group of local college students in the 1920s.

Today, Urban Dictionary defines Doo-Dah as:

“Another nickname for Wichita, KS. Origins unknown, but perhaps it references the laid-back, whimsical attitude felt by some visitors to the city.”

While I don't live and work in Wichita, I live in one nearby small city and work for another small, but larger city in the Wichita Metro area.

That's what I'm thinking, but a smaller mono plug like for a headset or power supply. I've got a bunch in my electronics trays.
I was thinking more along this line
1556916873518.png
1556916873518.png

I came across this site with pictures of SRY's locos http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/shortline/SRY_RL.htm.
A couple of the photo's showed a sense of humor on yard slugs
SRY_RL_112_ccs.jpg

SRY_RL_106_002a.jpg

And another that has a loco with gray instead of black as the secondary color. I thought at first it was a trick of the light, but there was another pic that proved it wasn't.
SRY_RL_128.JPG

I like it, it looks classy.
SRY_RL_135.JPG

Not train related but it is another hobby of mine. Garden tractor plowing. The 2 cylinder club I belong to has a spring and fall plow day.Here is a video from a few years ago.
View attachment 36412

Interesting, Tom; I didn't realize you could plow like that with a garden tractor.

When you said 2 cylinder club I thought you were talking about the John Deere A, B, G, 520, 730, etc.

Dave

Interesting, Tom; I didn't realize you could plow like that with a garden tractor.

When you said 2 cylinder club I thought you were talking about the John Deere A, B, G, 520, 730, etc.

Dave
We do have them,they're in another field next to the garden tractors.They move a little faster than us.Thet video wes early. There ended up being 60 garden tractors and 20 of the larger.

Good Morning - supposed to reach 76 today - finally had a sunny day yesterday. Have to be on the road in an hour. I am allowing 3 hours to drive 120 miles - hope it works?

Patrick - Never hrard of Doo-Dah before? I thought maybe it was maybe in Arkansas, Lousiana. or Mississippi - it sounds like Southern talk.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 67.
Not much going on in the train room today, mainly trying to get some outdoor stuff done before it starts raining.

The above post was for yesterday morning - seems as if I never posted it?
CHET - great pic from yesterday
DAVE - I like your work on the :shorty: caboose - always liked them.
TOM - liked the tractors plowing - noticed that one had chains on - cheating?
Willie - like the diner and the inside decor - also liked the Edsel in the parking lot.

Have to look at some of those "Big Boy" movies.
Garry - That is a great looking mine and structures!

The drive yesterday about did me in! 2:35 getting there 111.7 miles. 4:14 getting back!

Today's forcast is 77 and 'mostly sunny"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back