Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did get down to the train room today and ran some trains. That's about all I can do with this bum wing. Being right handed, most of what I need to get some is almost impossible right now. Running trains isn't too bad. Only need one hand.

Sherrel - Nice photo. Looks more like a mail train.

Dave - Like the scene. Nice photo as always.

Jim - I am aware of the being plugged up, I am, until the wife gets back from the weekly shopping trip to town.

Curt - Thanks for the complement.

Mark - I hope our weather heads your way. We were up into the 50's again today and the glaciers are slowly receding. It will take us quite a while before the snow is gone this year. Most of what you can see in the photo is really hard packed snow. We may see bare ground some time in May. the snow along the driveway along side the pine trees will take a while because the area is pretty well shaded.

View attachment 35335

Maybe I should have a contest to see who comes closest to the day the last of the snow is finally gone.

The wife is off to Friday night bowling. I sure miss the league and all of the great friends there. As soon as the arm starts feeling better, I will have to get there and help my bowling partner drink beer. Still haven't had any because it's not a good idea to mix oxycodone and alcohol. I am hoping to stop using it tomorrow morning. I don't like opiates, but in my case, they were needed. I will have to really thank my wife (I already have) for putting up with being a nurse. She is quite a woman.

Later

One of the local(Wausau) tv stations does a “last melt” contest every year. They use Rib Mountain State Park as a reference point(about 700 feet above Wausau’s elevation). 5 years ago, they had declared the winning date(around June 26) & were preparing to draw winning names, when 2 more snow patches were found on the mountain & the official snowmelt date ended up being July 7th.

Good afternoon Everyone.................

Worked on the layout today building a Walthers Background building. The last background building kit I have in my stock. They work great between a siding and a layout room.

I'm in the light weathering stages and tomorrow I'll check to see if I have any incandescent light fixtures and if I don't have any that operate, I'll make some static light fixtures and a billboard for the roof. For sure the building will have a brick chimney, some venting and the rooftop billboard. Crazy signs...maybe?

Chet: Glad you ran some trains...a good way to keep one's mind occupied while healing.

I think my Bachmann 70 tonner uses the same chassis and frame as the Bachmann S-1 and I need to followup on this to see if they are the same.

Dave:
I think my first Ink Jet decal install will be a logo on the brickwork of the building that's my current project.

On the trip home yesterday from the cabin the Mrs. and I and detoured to Fond du lac, Wisconsin to buy Power-ball tickets. We had to go to the Million Dollar mile where more people have won the Power Ball than anyone else anywhere in the country (and won more smaller $$$ prizes). We stopped at the Ma & Pop store that's famous for winners...if I win the power ball I'll buy a hobby shop and give all the Forum members 95% discounts.

That's all for now....!!!

Greg

Looks like we will have clouds today and only 36 degree above for temps. After church, I will be in the basement adding piping to my N.P. S-4 Ten Wheeler and I need to put it on my programing track to do a little more programing to it. There, got the weather done and also proved I am actually a model railroader all in one fell swoop! Have a great day and Lois could I have some coffee and a couple buttered English Muffys? Thanks! Your the best!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all,

Cool, and rainy in Northern Illinois. Going to be a rainy all day it looks like.

Yesterday we went to Chicago. One of my wifes cousins has a March Madness party every year, and I get drug there kicking, and screaming. I don't like basketball, so its very boring. The food is always good, Even with that I don't know if its an even trade-off.

Off to church, and brunch with my wife, and daughter, catch you all later.

Greetings Railroaders! Shirley, I'll have scrambled with bisquits and gravey this morning ... and you may leave the coffee pot!
47 going to 67 today - still dark - don't know if it is cloudy, sunny, rainey, or foggy?

GREG -- I have not received my 95% off cupon?

Looking for some info this morning .... Is there anyone, or a place where I can find out the various scales of "G gauge" equipment? I did find that Aristco Craft is 1:29. I have a LGB set, but I don;t know what scale it is?

In other news: SWMBO (the Spousal Unit) returns from her Diva cruise tonight - an the pups and I have a ton of clean up to do!
Picked up my truck yesterday afternoon ... it now has a new catilitic converter and Monday it will go in to get the ABS/Brake lights extinguished. Once that is done - then maybe I can get it passed through the CA license and smog program again.

Good Morning All. 64° and mostly clear. Thunderstorms yesterday fizzled out and there wasn't but .2" in the rain gauge. The Weather Bureau has removed the rain chance for today and is predicting 77°. That's like an August afternoon for Mark! While we're supposed to have 15 mph north winds tomorrow, the high will still be around 70° before heading back up Wednesday. No grilling tonight because we're going out to eat with our friends the horse trainers. One day a week, my wife cheats on her Keto diet.

Spent some extra time out in the train shed yesterday. Finished installing the wrought-iron fence around the small park and planted a few more trees. Essentially I have finished the portion of this town on the aisle side of the rails. A little scenery touch-up is needed and I will most likely add a few more trees and a couple more figures once I paint some appropriate ones. Final countdown is 11 structures, ten are laser-cut wood, fifty figures mostly hand-painted by me, nineteen vehicles and five dogs. Enjoyed every minute of construction.
Here's a view of the completed park. and the locksmith next to it.
03-23-19 001.JPG

An overall view that shows nine of the eleven structures.
03-23-19 010.001.JPG

Chet - No need to worry about the beer, I'm helping Greg drink some for you. I'm using my left hand in your honor. Seriously, keep us posted on your progress and I pray that the pain subsides quickly, without the Oxy.
Dave - I also like the rotting boards on the bottom of the freight house.
Mike - Nothing wrong with free food...I could care less about basketball.

Today is National Cheesesteak Day. While I always shudder at cooking sirloin any shade other than reddish-pink, cheesesteak sandwiches are quite good. I make a low-carb version of cheesesteak stuffed bell peppers with mushrooms, onions, steak and lots of cheese.

Everybody have a great Sunday. It's a beautiful day here, the sun is shining and the temperature is rising. Too bad that I shouldn't wear shorts to Mass.

Really nicely done, WILLIE ... Just needs a few "bent up" trash barrels next to a couple of those buildings along with some discarded Berger King wrappers and a few bottles.

I can no longer watch basketball - I am running out of sports ...
We need more curling!

Good Morning y'all. 48° with brilliant sunshine. :). Black coffee to go, please.

Too bad that I shouldn't wear shorts to Mass.

Willie: I'm sure the Vicar would not approve :rolleyes:. I like the fencing. It turned out well. Looks like the crew was shoving blind and hit the bumping block. :oops: Suppose the block truck could jack it on without too much trouble, but those air jacks are heavy suckers.

Chet: Hopefully, your pain will subside to Tylenol level real soon.

By virtue of Villanova's embarrassing loss to Perdue, my interest in March Madness is finished.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone......overcast sky and maybe a shower or two.

Sherrel: Your 95% off discount coupon is in the mail, but the store's shelves are empty. So much for the Million Dollar Mile and buying lottery tickets there.

Willie: Nice scene, but Willie you're missing some HO scale flies that are always found flying around a drive-in's walk up window.

Chet:
Please send Willie and myself some more beer, we're out!

Down to work on the Walthers background building. A little more weathering, some dull cote and then the window glazing. Debating about adding a LED light for the interior....?

I've been watching some George Sellios videos and I get real worked up after watching the master and see the methods that he uses which are actually simple, but most of us don't use or have mastered. And, its the combination of the methodas that are effective in is models.

Found out that some of my favorite large rattle cans of paint are getting old after 5-10 years of use. Next trip to the hardware store for more. One question fo the group, I found several cans of spray paint that are at least 10 years old and never opened....do you think the paint is still good. Testers and Flouquil paints are the majority of the cans.

Later everyone....

Greg

############################

GREG -- I have some 40 year old Floquil in bottles that is still good ... can't say about the cans?

Wish you could have won -- the way the $ have been flying out the window lately - I could have used the discount!

JUSTIN - Nice photos! My time era!

Good morning. 28 degrees and sunny with a chance of getting up into the 50's again.

Yesterday was a rough day for me. Tried to stay off the oxycodone but gave up around supper time. Finally got a decent nights sleep last night and am feeling a bit better and will again try not to take the oxy. Hoping that the extra strength Tylenol will be able to handle the pain for the rest of the recovery.

Greg
- You and Willie go find your own beer. I'm going to enjoy every drop of what I have when I get off of the narcotics.

Dave - Another nice photo. Thumb up.gif

Justin - Great photos. Nice to see you back posting.

Willie - Wow. More great photos. The town is really coming together.

I did get to run trains yesterday to keep my mind off of the shoulder. It did help. Today is that NASCAR race. Don't care for the track so I may just run trains again.

Here's a rail picture for today.

getty-railroad-tracks-58b9db985f9b58af5cb54095.jpg

Later

Terry/Joe - The "Hands-On" contractor has been called. Or maybe I'll call my brother-in-law. He's a paid consultant for Herzog. Doesn't do anything for them, it just prevents him from doing any work for their competitors! Nice gig.
Willie: I'm sure the Vicar would not approve
Depends on how much I put in the offering basket!:cool:

Chet - Don't worry, I'm buying!

Howdy everyone!

Sherrel: Great Will Rogers!

Willie: As always - real nice layout photos!

Justin: Really like the pics!

Greg said: "One question fo the group, I found several cans of spray paint that are at least 10 years old and never opened....do you think the paint is still good. Testers and Flouquil paints are the majority of the cans."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I usually found if there is still pressure - I use the paint. Of course, you might want to do a test piece first!

Chet: Good that you got some sleep. Running trains is GOOD therapy!
Actually, I have prescribed a therapy session for myself! ;):) Going down to the layout!

Have a good day everyone!

Port of Mobile AL - Ship bound for Mexico
sQqpNLl.jpg

Railcar TIPPING
4VtRDEw.jpg

CSX Ravenswood WV
HJCCjxL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back