Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did get down to the train room today and ran some trains. That's about all I can do with this bum wing. Being right handed, most of what I need to get some is almost impossible right now. Running trains isn't too bad. Only need one hand.

Sherrel - Nice photo. Looks more like a mail train.

Dave - Like the scene. Nice photo as always.

Jim - I am aware of the being plugged up, I am, until the wife gets back from the weekly shopping trip to town.

Curt - Thanks for the complement.

Mark - I hope our weather heads your way. We were up into the 50's again today and the glaciers are slowly receding. It will take us quite a while before the snow is gone this year. Most of what you can see in the photo is really hard packed snow. We may see bare ground some time in May. the snow along the driveway along side the pine trees will take a while because the area is pretty well shaded.

thumbnail_20190322_151307.jpg

Maybe I should have a contest to see who comes closest to the day the last of the snow is finally gone.

The wife is off to Friday night bowling. I sure miss the league and all of the great friends there. As soon as the arm starts feeling better, I will have to get there and help my bowling partner drink beer. Still haven't had any because it's not a good idea to mix oxycodone and alcohol. I am hoping to stop using it tomorrow morning. I don't like opiates, but in my case, they were needed. I will have to really thank my wife (I already have) for putting up with being a nurse. She is quite a woman.

Later

Last edited:
Yo Sherrel! That's the perfect pike sized train. Any photos of the Will Rogers from the same era?

Boris

JOE -- Best I can come up with on short notice is from August 14, 1965 -- The Will Rogers at Monnett, MO
Second pic is from April 7, 1956 -- The Will Rogers at St Louis. MO
E8A-2019-Cavalcade-on-The-Will-Rogers-at-Monett-Missouri-on-August-14-1965-Al-Chione.jpg
E8A-202Will-Rogers-train #4 at-St.-Louis-Missouri-on-April-7-1956-Al-Chione.jpg

I think I can get a couple more from the late 40's - steam powered.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Had my eye appointment this morning at the VA. After getting home I did some chores then headed to the train room. I glued the side panels on the bents (to hold the coal) then decided to apply Tichy NBW's to the side boards for eye appeal. There are 8 sides to be done with 20 to each side. I finished 5 sides and ran out of the NBW's:rolleyes:. I do have Tichy Rivets that are almost the same size and decided to finish using them since the bents will be narrow side to the viewer so not a show stopper.

Toot- Prayers for those that will be affected by the storms.

Chet- Nice looking layout scene.

Mark- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: That's seems to most always be the way it goes. I'm sure it will be fine,

Got down to the basement last night and set up a double-track oval and siding. I just wanted something to run a train on. Wound up spending a couple of hours solving a problem where the turnouts are just a tad shorter than their straight section equivalents, and substituting two shorter sections didn't work, either. After some contemplation on the basement toilet, I remembered I had some expandable sections, but then couldn't find them. I finally realized that they were almost dead ringers for the uncoupling sections. Wound up using three of the four to line up a double-track section with a single-track and a turnout. That part was exhausting, and I was too tired to deal with the next problem.

I chose my lightest train for a first run, the Chicago Zephyr. Sure enough, it hung up on a couple of sectional joints, where the end of one rail was slightly higher than the end of the next. The train did make it all the way around the outer loop before hanging up on the 2nd lap, but the loco couldn't make it past that point afterwards, and a couple of attempts at fixing it didn't help. I bagged it for the night. At least I've identified the problem area. Oddly/thankfully, there doesn't seem to be a problem with either the turnouts connecting the two loops, or the turnouts of the siding.

I was also forced to sort some track during this exercise, and it appears I won't have to worry about reclaiming the sections that have had their plastic ballast painted and/or had more ballast glued on; I have way more clean sections than I'll ever need. In fact, I'll be able to recoup some train money by selling the "dirty" track and several other items. Thankfully, I was working a pretty high-paying job when I started buying; I just rediscovered that one of my Kato sets (including loco) is worth almost $1k on ebay.

I may take a break today and watch a movie or two. At 37° it's just a little to cold and damp to go to the zoo.

Beady: It my be slight burs on the inside edges of the rail at the joints and possibly on the rail head too.

I guess I win the First Post of the Day contest. Too bad I don't have anything to say.
Maybe not, but you can not say it as much as you want.
Alternately, you can also not not say anything, or you can not not say something. You can't not not say anything, so you could not say something.

Mark - Hope you start getting the warmer weather that we have experienced over the past week. I like you am over winter.

Later

Chet, It HAS been warmer here! I suppose with the weather I've been reporting lately looking so much like the depth of everyone else's winters, that people have a difficult time seeing that things are definitely improving here, in Central Minnesota!

It will be partly Sunny today with temperatures very close to +50 degrees! Light winds out of the South West. No precipt in the forecast and the Baro at Three Zero Point Two Two. Our snow has melted down to almost 1/2 of what it was two weeks ago! the warm spell will continue on for another 10 days.

Precilla, Large cup of Joeffee and I I will have a couple eggs over easy, crisp bacon and toast! Thanks!!

Oh, and I do do model railroading, too! I have installed a TCS Sound Decoder in my old MDC Roundhouse 4-6-0 that I bashed into a Northern Pacific S-4 10 Wheeler. I should have photo of it working a freight train over my HooDoo Treastle, very shortly!

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and mostly cloudy. There appears to be light rain in the area, but none has fallen here yet. There's a 60% chance today and tomorrow. Winter is definitely over here, with the past three days in the 70's and more expected in the ten day forecast. Even with the north winds expected Monday and Tuesday, the highs will still be in the upper 60's. I've been giving the grill quite a workout the last few days, chicken breasts, spareribs, hamburgers, t-bone and last night salmon. Pork chops are on the schedule for tonight.
The fiber-optic contractor working in front of the house, sliced through some kind of cable yesterday. They don't know what it is and neither do I. It doesn't seem to affect me and no one got killed while splicing it back together. Their companion crew about a mile away did score a phone company cable, upsetting some folks over there.

Once again I didn't get to spend as much time in the train shed as I wished. I did get all of the fencing cut from the sprues that I need and got some of the holes drilled for the fenceposts. Need to put some miles on some engines today. And of course there are the trees.

Joe - Meant to comment on the Asleep at the Wheel video yesterday. It was recorded at Billy Bob's Texas, a well known honky-tonk in this area. The place is huge! It is a very interesting place to go to. It was originally an open-air cattle barn before being converted into a department store prior to becoming a honky-tonk. For concerts you sit at long picnic tables, at least when I still went there. No spurs allowed.
Chet - Continued thoughts and prayers for your recovery. Kick those pain meds asap so you can get back to a normal life.
I like what you did with the cannery kit. I have an extra kit that I might try that on.

Just started raining, time to head for the train shed.:)
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning Everyone.....going to be a great Spring day here in Wisconsin. Warmer and sunny!!!

When to check on the cabin yesterday and the snow is still 12 - 18 inches deep in the woods. Some bare spots in the driveway and the roofs are loosing their snow. When to a local watering hole for a couple of sodas and to catch up on local news. Fun being back in the backwoods of Wisconsin. Amazing little or no snow at home and just up north it's still winter.

Sherman Hill: It was a typo I really meant I used Ctrl Z to "Undo" to correct my error, but I think something else is a problem with not onlywith the shuffling of data, but also losing some information as well.

Dave: Hopefully this weekend I'll try a decal install. I got to wrapped up in re-doing my rolling stock inventory. It is pain to open storage boxes and record the rolling stock information and then put everything back in storage.

Sherrel: I never thought of using a restore point, but I don't think it works on data anyway. But its a good suggestion.

Guys: In high school and college I worked at a nursery, garden center and contracting firm and one of my winter duties was to take a physical inventory of every tree and shrub in the 200 acres of the company so we could do an annual catalog. I worked alone since most employees were laid off and I started the day after Christmas and I needed to have everything done by mid-February. I counted the number of plants by variety, the size and location. No computers in those days, just note books and pencils and no lost data.

No Walthers today, I decided that since they don't have the Woodland Scenic billboard I wanted in stock there's no need to drive there and spend $$$.

I'll continue with my inventory and then after lunch work on a Walthers building as a change of pace. Dave, maybe tomorrow I'll try the decal install.

Chet: Since you couldn't have a few beers being on medication, I had a few for you. Cheers.

I haven't used my Digitrax PR-4 for programming decoders since I brought the device. I need to do that this coming week. I should be able to do screen shots of the CV's and keep records for each locomotive like a good DCC guy should be doing. That's $80 just sitting idle under the layout.

That's all for today....

Greg

####################################

Last edited:
Good morning, I slept in today. Had the day off yesterday and almost did me in.

I made myself a blueberry pancake for breakfast and just now sipping that second cup of French Roast. Thanks for the comments on the gravel pit scene!

Most of my train stuff is in our container on our land up north where we are building our retirement home. We got up there yesterday and I found all these goodies which I can use while creating this window display I am working on:

IMG-0324.JPG

I got a closeup of the chain, I think Sherrel asked about chain size and here are some samples. The one I used for the log load was 9 links per 4 HO scale feet. The smaller one next to the ruler is about 1/2 that size. The bigger one is bigger (ha ha).

Attachments

• IMG-0326.JPG
    IMG-0326.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 140
Howdy ..... Lunch time. I'll have a cheeseburger and a coke, please. No fees thank you.

Dave LASM .... I like the gravel pit and the freight house very much.

Sherrel .... The Frisco E8's had very nice paint scheme.

Chet .... The Potato warehouse is a vey=ry nice industry.

Joe .... I watched the Reading Crusader video. I liked the days when railroad travel was common.

Have a nice afternoon, everybody.

The last 2 - 3 weeks we've had maybe 20 spam emails a day getting past our filters. Don't know what it is. Each of our phones gets maybe two calls a day getting through. Manually blocking won't work, because the spammers seem to have perfected spoofing; no two calls or email use the same number or address.

Or is it just us?

Afternoon All,

Spent some time this morning finishing with the rivets. I also discovered another wooden piece that needed them so I went ahead and did that too. I'm letting everything dry and tomorrow I will weather them before assembly. They already have 2 coats of A&I but for some reason it doesn't look like it. In about an hour I'm heading out to the train club that I recently rejoined after a 18 month hiatus.

Joe- Neat video.

Terry- That's a tongue twister!

Sherrel- Nice 1:1 photos.

Dave- Nice freight house. I like the board rotting at the bottom.

Chet- The driveway is a step in the right direction. I hope you're feeling better.

20190314_134206-2016x1512.jpg

Three of the bents have no siding, three have double sided siding, and three have single sided siding. The riveted boards by themselves will be
glued to the short bent later.

20190323_121257-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Went to the club today to speed match some engines that I put TCS wow sound in and had the 128 speed step programed in. 3 Intermountain and 2 Atlas,sped up the Atlas and now all 5 run nice together.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back