Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 44° and clear. Great day yesterday and again for a few days. Tee shirt and shorts was the outfit after church. Sunshine, windless and 68°. I did have to do some more mowing though.
Another short day in the train shed, Sunday's always are. I did do some minor detailing in town, but cannot continue until an order for wrought iron fencing arrives. It's a rare internet purchase for me. To make use of a little time, I ballasted about 24" of main line that has been painted for months, thus connecting two already completed track sections.
Here's some hard working folks on the outskirts of my town known as Vernon.
View attachment 35252

Mike I like the backyard scene with the snow. Please keep it up there. It appears that spring may have finally made it here.
David - Nice hobo scene.

Not much to comment on from yesterday, I guess that everyone was celebrating St Patrick's Day or greeting an early spring.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie: Thanks for noticing my humble attempt, only partially done, to display the WS Hobo's.

You are doing some really great work on your layout and buildings as well as the people.

Howdy everyone!

Dave, Willie: great photos again!

Beady: I really like your train room! Lot's of neat stuff to look at!

David: Great boxcar photo & mouse story!

Chet: As usual, great photos! I wish you all the best tomorrow!

Greg: Really nice club photo! Ahhh . . . target practice - all of those glass insulators!

Have a good one!

This would make a great layout!
Ers81GT.jpg

Another Harpers Ferry WV
KsP1K7d.jpg

Covered bridge in VT
4aZLe2f.jpg

Max: Thanks for noticing my little scene, as partially done as it is.

Nice photos you posted, looks like that was quite a grinding experence removing part of the HF tunnel roof.

Tom, Sherrel, Phil: Thanks for the photo likes.

Jim: Great Photos.

Rode Eastbound through that tunnel in Harpers Ferry, in the dome car on B&O 6 in 1968.

Boris
Joe: Thanks.
Going through the tunnel and the whole tri-state area would be a great ride.

Jim ... Great photos.... I wish NS would adopt that blue and gray scene for all of its

Garry: I agree about the black paint. It's like they reverted back to the old Norfolk & Western scheme.
Those rails are really crooked - maybe it's a shock absorber test ;):)
The tunnel enlargement: It looks like the autoracks would be missing a right upper corner!

The blue & gray and these are more like it:
60oqsHi.jpg

A5U4yxF.jpg

Max: Thanks for noticing my little scene, as partially done as it is.

Nice photos you posted, looks like that was quite a grinding experence removing part of the HF tunnel roof.

Thanks David. It looks like your mouse was chewing on it! ;):)

Last edited:
Good evening ...

Jim ... Great photos.... I wish NS would adopt that blue and gray scene for all of its locomotives. I don't like black .... Look at he crooked rails in front of CSX 5317 at Harpers Ferry tunnel. Also we can see the upper corner of the tunnel apparently was enlarged for clearance reasons.

Have a nice night everybody.
Exactly my thoughts. Athearn have done those locos and also a black and grey and possibly another in their Roundhouse range. 21 pin adapter board equipped I believe.

Well, I certainly was not able to "sleep in" this morning! :mad:
Was around 75 yesterday and 95% clear. Today will be 80 and clear again. :):cool:

JIM - That Blue/Gray is my favorite! You would think NS would have done away with the Black years ago?

I need to re-arrange the garage in order to "house" our "new" 6 year old car.
I need to also do taxes that I keep procrasting on!

CHET - Best of wishes for a speedy recovery from your procedure this morning. I do pray that you don't lose any function as far as the bowling goes.

Garry - Happy that things are improving with MIL ... I pray they continue.

Spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday afternoon, cancelling my wife's Visa card and another hour or so at the Bank today filing a disputed transaction after someone billed and removed 300 plus dollars using her card's number on Saturday. The "payee" seems to be a legit business in Mountain View, California called 23andme Inc who offer DNA testing and reports. Only caught it by chance when she looked at the account on-line and noticed it in the "Pending" section. Too late to stop it though. Now we have to wait 30+ days to find out whether we get it back.

Spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday afternoon, cancelling my wife's Visa card and another hour or so at the Bank today filing a disputed transaction after someone billed and removed 300 plus dollars using her card's number on Saturday. The "payee" seems to be a legit business in Mountain View, California called 23andme Inc who offer DNA testing and reports. Only caught it by chance when she looked at the account on-line and noticed it in the "Pending" section. Too late to stop it though. Now we have to wait 30+ days to find out whether we get it back.

Darn, RAY, That's really crap to have to deal with. I guess that I can say that you are fortunate in one repect.
Someone got to me a few years ago for $700+ of which I was able to recover $300 and change.
I wish you success!

Yes, Good Morning everyone! Cloudy and +28 right now. There is not one day in the 10 day forecast that daytime temperatures do not get above freezing. In fact they are predicting that this weekend the temps will get above freezing and stay above overnight!

Toot, 23 And Me, is a business I see advertising on TV, here in MInnesota, they are a DNA testing company similar to AncestryDotCom. If they are Rip-Off artists, this needs to come-out! Good Luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. Looks like 48° with clear skies in these parts. Reached 69° yesterday, quite pleasant, low 70's today. I spent several hours yesterday, cutting, hauling and stacking next years firewood supply. I expected to be a bit sore this morning, but surprisingly no; so I'll knock down another tree today and do it all over.
Thanks for the comments and likes on the body shop that I posted yesterday; Joe, Johnny, Chet, Garry, Jim, Curt, Tom, David, Sherrel and anyone else who I may have missed.
Here are a few random scenes from around the layout. In the first one, we're seeing one end of a Downtown Deco hydrocal kit called "Adam's Ave Pt II". In the background is a cardstock structure from the Illinois State Historical Society.
04-27-18 003.JPG

Next is a generic kit from an unknown manufacturer that I have made into a paper goods distributor.
05-02-18 011.JPG

Next up is a structure made from DPM modular walls. The scenery around this structure hasn't been completed yet. Same with additional detailing that is intended. I often don't do the detailing until I finalize a site for the structure on the layout.
05-05-18 001.JPG

I didn't get into the train shed until after 4:30 yesterday, leaving only a short time to work on stuff. I worked on applying ground foam to the small park that is being built in the current town project, and also added some along the ROW of the track that I ballasted Sunday. I also selected a handful of figures to use in the park and touched up the paint on a few that I had painted. The rest came from Woodland Scenics via a gift certificate to my LHS.
Regarding my DC operations, while there are over 70 blocks overall, many controlling only a single track in staging; they are all "on" and controlled by one controller unless I have a train parked there. All of the staging yard tracks are actually on a single block with individual off/on switches controlling them. The only time I use the second controller is the rare time that my grandson is running a train on one level while I am running one on the other level. Neither of them (grandsons) is into running anymore, but both are really into the modeling.

Chet - Once again, best wishes for your "reverse" shoulder replacement.
Dave - Nice scene and picture of the car shop.
Garry - Lots of good news, Shelly's mom and the Interstate both.
Beady - Good to read of the progress.
Curt - Hope that you get over the slump real soon. I juggle several modeling projects all at once, so if I get into a slump on one, I can usually switch over to another one to reinvigorate my interest.
Mark -
I wondered if some one would know where I got the line from. Good Job!
Music is one of my other passions, especially rock from the 50's through the 80's. Among other things, I have contributed to, written, or edited over 1200 music articles on Wikipedia.
Ray - Sorry to read of the bogus bank transaction. 23andme ought to know who made it, don't you think?

Everybody have a great day. Looking forward to the first day of Spring tomorrow.

Good morning everyone. 43 and cloudy. Rain coming tonight and most of tomorrow, then things improve through to the weekend.

Nothing to report from the train room - nice day yesterday, so when I got home from work I got right into yardwork, which I don't mind - love being outside, especially after a brutal cold winter. Poor layout felt abandoned for the day, I think.

Spring train show coming up this Saturday - should be able to pick up some things for the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning .....

Jim ..... NS units 1800, 8520, and 4000 definitely are improves to the black paint scheme.

WIllie ...... You have a Mercedes 300SL ! .. Love it. ... My Dad had one (a '55) when I was a kid. The gull wing doors were unique...... I like the brick surfaces on your buildings.

Toot .... Good luck with your Visa card problem Based on my experiences, I have better results with disputed transactions with American Express and Discover credit cards than with Visa or Master Card.

Good morning all, 32 and sunny, gonna be upper 50's by Saturday. Hooray!

Thanks for the comments about my layout photos!

Sherrel, your clip just above really gave me a chuckle this morning, Thanks!

Here is my layout photo of the day, this is my scratch built log jammer, remembering back I built it in summer of 2010,remember that well because I was working out of town all winter and thinking about how I was going to put it together, then when I finished the job I knew exactly what to do...

_MG_5561.jpg

Everyone have a good day... Dave

PS Chet, I hope all goes well with your shoulder

Exactly my thoughts. Athearn have done those locos and also a black and grey and possibly another in their Roundhouse range. 21 pin adapter board equipped I believe.

Scaletrains has hinted on their Facebook page that these paint schemes will be produced on a future run of Dash 9s. What an awesome paint scheme!

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny here in this part of Wisconsin.

Yesterday I when to where I store kits and the empty rolling stock boxes and found some items I forgot I even had purchased. One was a 40 foot SOO Line gondola from Red Ball. A nice kit with lots of details.

Ran a Broadway Limited six axle diesel for several hours and no problems.

Sherrel: Forgetting my room number has always been a concern for me when staying at a high rise hotel like in Vegas. It happen to me once when when we were late and I had to get to a meeting and just dropped off my luggagae and then five houts later???

Jim: Nice paint on the NS locomotives.

We had a use of a credit card several years ago when I used the card in Wild Rose, Wisconsin and my wife in Germantown, Wisconsin and a unauthorized charge in Chicago between our two charges. The credit card company caught the charge via computer and no $$$ was lost and our card cancelled.

I think today I'll start a Walthers background building and tyr the peeling paint look that Garry Leone talked about in Model Railroader.

Talk later......

Greg

##############################

F&SM Photo 1.jpeg

More inspiration. -Greg

we're seeing one end of a Downtown Deco hydrocal kit called "Adam's Ave Pt II". In the background is a cardstock structure from the Illinois State Historical Society.

Willie:
I don't think I would have recognized the background as card stock, if you had not mentioned it. Nice scene.

Dave B: Log jammer, eh? That's a neat model.

Sorry if I missed anyone, I just quickly scanned things and replied.

Boris

Tom, Sherrel, Phil: Thanks for the photo likes.

Joe: Thanks.
Going through the tunnel and the whole tri-state area would be a great ride.

Garry: I agree about the black paint. It's like they reverted back to the old Norfolk & Western scheme.
Those rails are really crooked - maybe it's a shock absorber test ;):)
The tunnel enlargement: It looks like the autoracks would be missing a right upper corner!

The blue & gray and these are more like it:
60oqsHi.jpg

A5U4yxF.jpg

Thanks David. It looks like your mouse was chewing on it! ;):)

I like the blue/gray unit, kinda D&H lookin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back