Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet: Glad everything went well with your surgery. Reminds me of the story about a guy in the hospital who was a bit of a practical joker. They were always coming around asking for urine samples so he decided for the next morning breakfast he would order apple juice along with his other food. So when the nurse left the urine bottle for sample, he poured in some apple juice which was a bit on the dark side. When the nurse came around she mentioned that his urine look very dark ! The fella said, oh well here, let me pass it through again as he grabbed sample and drank it down as the nurse gasped !!

This is my first time using my computer for the forum in months. There's a "Not Secure" notice up by the URL. Anybody know anything about this?

And precisely what does it mean, under my avatar, that my member is well-known?
Basically, the forum uses an http address, instead of a https address. It costs $$$ to get the https, and since we're not discussing matters of national security, and there is no reason for any financial info to be posted here, Bob let it go.
As for being well-known, well, we know who you are...

A couple of days ago, I had to order a new Baker's Rack for the kitchen, as the old one is falling apart. I found one on that place that sounds like it's in South America, shipping from US, and ordered it.
This morning, I got a notification it had shipped--via China Post.
I am attempting to cancel the order, because I need the thing sooner than next year.

A couple of days ago, I had to order a new Baker's Rack for the kitchen, as the old one is falling apart. I found one on that place that sounds like it's in South America, shipping from US, and ordered it.
This morning, I got a notification it had shipped--via China Post.
I am attempting to cancel the order, because I need the thing sooner than next year.
A dropshipper, just an order taker, but they state their location as being where the item is. Pretty sure that's against ebay rules. At least it used to be.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 50° on this first day of spring. High again today around 70°. Another day yesterday spent cutting next years firewood, along with doing laundry.
Made more progress out in the train shed yesterday. First is an overall picture of the new town project. Almost completed. The backdrop on the left is temporary in order to block the sunlight that's coming through the window from messing with the camera.
03-19-19 002.001.JPG

I di intend to add a couple more trees before moving to my next project area.
Next is the small park that I added this week.
03-19-19a 004.001.JPG

And a wider view.
03-19-19a 005.JPG

This scene is incomplete while I wait for an Atlas wrought iron fence to arrive in the mail, that will be used on the park's perimeter. The fellow with the yellow shirt and the one in the blue shirt partially obscured by the statue are railfans with cameras taking pictures of the approaching SD40-2's.

Garry - Thanks for the comment on the brick surfaces. Yes, the Mercedes belongs to the gentleman slightly to the left who is discussing business with the young lady.
Joe - Thanks. Some of these cardstock structures can be quite realistic. While I didn't do it on this one due to it's extreme background location, I often add small strips of painted styrene over the window sills to add some extra dimensional effects. This one will get a back step and maybe a sign or two on the back wall when I revisit this area.
Sherrel - Thanks. That is a funny picture as well.
Curt - Thanks.
Dave -
ALL of my 40 year old cars are underweight or have bad rolling issues.
Underweight - Boxcars, covered hoppers and any other enclosed cars, use Walther's Goo or a similar adhesive and glue pennies inside, as close to the trucks as possible. Ten pennies is just about an ounce of weight. Flatcars, gondolas and open hoppers just need loads. Tankers are tougher unless you can get them opened.
Bad rolling issues - Step one is to get a "truck tuner", available from Micro-Mark, Walther's or your LHS if there is one close. Micro-Mark's is a bit on the pricey side compared to what I paid over 25 years ago, but maybe that's the market these days. Here's a short discussion regarding different brands. Truck tuner discussion on MRH
Even if you don't or can't convert to metal wheelsets, the tuner will make any older car run better. While metal wheelsets won't necessarily make anything run smoother, they don't seem to me to attract "gunk" which ultimately spreads out and dirties all of your track. Lots of brands are available; I prefer Kadee.
Step two is to be sure trucks are properly adjusted. One should be snug but able to freely move, while the other should be a bit more loose.
If you haven't already done so, converting over to Kadee couplers will make operations go more smoothly. Since you mentioned grandchildren, the #148's (compatible to #5's) may be a better choice than the scale # 158's. Either way, you cannot go wrong.
Beady - Great to read of the further progress. Amazing what new insights regarding the jackpost you gained by having a semi-clean workspace.
And precisely what does it mean, under my avatar, that my member is well-known?
You haven't been posting those pictures have you?

Everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning, above freezing and I am enjoying it along with a cacophony of birds!

David, Terry, Mark, Boris, Toot, Willie; glad to see you all at the coffee table this morning!

Spray painted the bottom of the Roundhouse boxcar yesterday evening and see that kit is very simple, too bad I can't find more "old timer" cars in the old Walthers kits

Chet-- glat to hear surgery went well
Beady-- great progress on the cleanup/cleanout
Willie--as usual, very nice scenes

Here is my layout photo of the day, these logs were made from fir twigs then a black wash. I did tone down the tie downs however looks like my paint did not make it all the way around!

_MG_5565.jpg

You can see my little bobber caboose in this shot,

Have a great day... Dave

This will be brief - have a Doctor app 50 miles up the road.
Got cooler - only supposed to be 61 today with possible showers this afternoon.
Hope everyone is O.K. this AM.
Anyone heard from Louis?
Tried to call him, but got no answer?
CHET - Hope all is well with you this morn!

Good morning everyone. 47 and raining.

Chet - Glad your surgery went well. Have your wife sneak some real food in from McDonald's or Wendy's ;)
Willie - As always, nice photos from your layout. And thanks for the info on weights and the tuner discussion.
Dave L&SM - You, too, are posting some really interesting photos from your layout. Thanks.

Ran trains for a little while last night. Found another boxcar that's giving me fits staying on the track. I'm still a rookie at fixing freight cars to make them couple together correctly, but I'm learning, albeit slowly. I think because I buy a lot of my freight cars on the cheap at the local train shows, their couplers and wheels are a variety of older stuff. Got to replace them a little at a time, I guess. I have about 14 freight cars on the bench right now - they all come uncoupled or one truck rides up over the rails.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast sky here in this part of Wisconsin.

Chet: Great news and hurry back to Logan Valley....all the miniature people miss you.

Yesterday, I used a switcher to empty out the Pine River Yard, but the movement started or should I say ended when the locomotive stalled at the throat of the entrance to Pine River. Found a jumper feeder wire came loose off a terminal block and every right rail in the yard was "dead".

Once the feeder was repaired I used two Center-line track cleaning cars to clean the yard's trackage. After several passes the track was dust free using alcohol as a cleaning agent.

I used the switcher to pull cars out of the yard and then to the work bench to check coupler action and change out any bad couplers. Found a few problem KD's and used either #5's or #158's as replacements. I have a Excel spread sheet where 2/3's of my rolling stock is inventoried. I have an area for comments for each car like when the last inspection was done and major changes made to the car, if the car has KD's or if it weathered and any other information.

I checked maybe a dozen or so pieces of rolling stock.

When upstairs to the computer and pulled up spreadsheet that has my inventory of rolling stock. Something looked wrong. Apparently last time when I did a sort before closing and saving the sheet I only included the first column of information which is the road names. The sort command mixed up all the data and none of the equipment for the most part have the correct road name. Lots of choice words and comments came out of my mouth.

At the computer desk I could find a few changes that I could correct, but not many. There's over 300+ ore cars alone and now I need to inventory most of my rolling stock. Lucky most of the information is available on the spreadsheet. Should be an afternoon project. At least many of the ore cars are in their original boxes and I can start with the first car number, find it on the spreadsheet and then take the last number and know these 12 cars are all from the same road.

Now I know why I made paper backup of all my financial spreadsheets at work.

Next take the Mrs. the lunch at a burger place....sorry Chet. It's part of a well known chain of fast food places in Milwaukee called George Webb's which are open 24 hours a day and seven days a week. A fairly good burger at a reasonable price.

End of my sad story.....

Nice photos everyone, keep them coming!

Later.

Greg

############################

IMG_0355 (1).JPG

Maybe I posted this photo before....The SOO locomotive is #4441 and is leaving the entrance throat to Pine River Yard. The retaining wall was constructed out of scale RR ties and CA is holding it together. -Greg

Last edited:
Greg, nice shot above, really got the gondola looking realistic!

Bummer about the spreadsheet going haywire. I guess that is why I don't have any lists of my stuff.

Afternoon All,

Just got back from a visit with my parents. No change there so that's good news. No bench time today. I believe everyone is going out to lunch tomorrow and then going to a kid's movie (I'm thrilled).

Greg- Nice looking gondola.

Beady- Congratulations on your milestone.

TruckDad- It looks like your making progress on the layout.

Terry- If I order from China it usually takes around 2-3 weeks to receive it.

Willie- Nice looking town.

Dave- Another interesting log load. I also like the dilapidated building in the background.

Joe- The only tools I have used outside this winter has been leaf rakes.

Chet- I hope you're still doing well.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, if I had ordered from China, I would expect that timeframe.
However, I ordered from a seller that stated “ship from United States”, so I was expecting a few days for shipping, at most.
No response at all from the seller, I’ll contact amazon about it Friday.

[QUOTE="Greg@mnrr, post: 454276, member: 4502"
When upstairs to the computer and pulled up spreadsheet that has my inventory of rolling stock. Something looked wrong. Apparently last time when I did a sort before closing and saving the sheet I only included the first column of information which is the road names. The sort command mixed up all the data and none of the equipment for the most part have the correct road name. Lots of choice words and comments came out of my mouth.
r. -Greg[/QUOTE]
It may be a little late to mention this... 'Most' reputable spread sheets have a pretty extensive audit trail.
Cntrl+z can do wonders backing up operations, even after saving.

Good evening, everybody .

Willie .... Nice town scene. The 1/87 population looks very active.

Dave LASM .... Like the log loads on the flat cars. The old saw mill (I think that is what it is.) looks like it has seen better days. Nice.

Greg ...... The Soo Line gondola has some great weathering.

It appears I am once again the first to post here today. it's 5:50 Central Daylight Time. It will be partly sunny today with high temps of +45 degrees and is +22 degrees right now. See Yas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back