Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 44° and clear. Great day yesterday and again for a few days. Tee shirt and shorts was the outfit after church. Sunshine, windless and 68°. I did have to do some more mowing though.
Another short day in the train shed, Sunday's always are. I did do some minor detailing in town, but cannot continue until an order for wrought iron fencing arrives. It's a rare internet purchase for me. To make use of a little time, I ballasted about 24" of main line that has been painted for months, thus connecting two already completed track sections.
Here's some hard working folks on the outskirts of my town known as Vernon.
03-12-19 021.JPG

Mike I like the backyard scene with the snow. Please keep it up there. It appears that spring may have finally made it here.
David - Nice hobo scene.

Not much to comment on from yesterday, I guess that everyone was celebrating St Patrick's Day or greeting an early spring.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 28 and sunny this morning, sounds a calm, quiet week with temps moving up into the 50's by weeks end.

I got some work done on my Walthers kit yesterday and actually completed the box car, then opened up the Roundhouse kit which is my next project. Right off the bat it looks like the Walthers kit is higher quality stuff.

My wife told me to clean up my train stuff, so I cleaned it up, then she said I misunderstood her and that I didn't have to clean it up that much. Sometimes we need an interpreter, I guess.

David Trussrod-- nice scene with hobos

Louis, Willie, Toot, Terry, David-- good morning and please pass the coffee

Layout photo of the day, my service shop with some nice scenery. The building was worked over busted up thing I bought on Ebay. I squared off the door and added a couple roof vents:

_MG_5555.jpg

Everyone take it easy today, Dave

Good morning everyone. 37 and partly cloudy out there.

What a weekend. First real sign of spring. Sunny, almost no wind, and upper 50s both days. Perfect for outdoor work, which, of course, meant little time in the train room. Got lots of yard clean-up done, trying a mole repellent spray, and getting garden ready for spring planting. But felt good to get outside and do some yardwork. I did get to run trains for a while, but didn't get any scenicking or modeling done.

L&SM Dave - really nice details on those log cars (with chains). You mentioned making pulpwood out of dried goldenrod weeds - - I assume you were able to find some and dried them yourself? Or is that something you picked up at a dried flower shop like Hobby Lobby, etc?
Willie - As always, really nice photos from your layout.

Local train show coming up this Saturday. I'll be there with cash on hand!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. Starting off at 22 degrees with a high again in the low 50's. Looks like the thaw has started.

Didn't get to check in yesterday. It was a beautiful day so I decided to go flying for a while. Pretty well a sea of white below with some signs of melting snows. It was nice to get in the air again. I made it home ust in time for the NASCAR race and then we had friends atop by.

Dave - Nice photo of the log load. The photo of the engine house in also nice.

Like the wreck train photos. I have a small one I'll have to take a photo of.

Tom - I can see where having an operating session with a DC layout can be interesting. Years ago we had operating session at a friends layout and it ended up having operators having to run around and switching blocks to different controllers. DCC was not around back then.. At my club, DCC is a necessity. We regularly have multiple trains running with multiple operators and it would be impossible to operate it on DC. The layout is in three different rooms which can really make things interesting even with DCC. A couple of guy will run more than one train at a time also. I tried that and really got a work out trying to keep an eye on trains in different rooms. I am with Willie though and still operate DC at home. I am also a lone operator and have a hard enough time focusing on operating one train being that my layout is mainly a switching layout. Trying to run a second train would surely end up having a wreck somewhere.

Beady - That photo of the train room belongs on the TV show Hoarders.

David - Nice photo with the hobos.

It's going to be a rough day for me today. No food or drink today preparing for shoulder surgery tomorrow. I most likely will be one grumpy old man by the end of the day.

Here's a rail photo for today.

nature-forest-outdoor-track-railway-railroad-perspective-train-steel-transport-vehicle-journey...jpg

Think I'll head down to the train room to keep my mind occupied.

Later

L&SM Dave - really nice details on those log cars (with chains). You mentioned making pulpwood out of dried goldenrod weeds - - I assume you were able to find some and dried them yourself? Or is that something you picked up at a dried flower shop like Hobby Lobby, etc?

Hi Johnny,

They are weeds we picked off our land. This is a good time of year to get them, as last years plants have had the winter to dry our. Best getting them on a sunny day when they are relatively free from dew and moisture.

They can also be found in roadside ditches

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and seasonal here in Wisconsin.

Yesterday I finished the installation of three Woodland Scenic's lamp posts on my RIX overpass. The hard part of the project was working under the layout in a 12 inch X 24 inch space under the layout. Hard to maneuver and poor lighting. Then working with Woodland's fine transformer hook up wire is an challenge. I do another thread on this project since there was a few unplanned encounters.

I must of did the right voodoo on the turnout since I ran a 13 car train and a six axle diesel through my problematic turnout with any issues. The train must have been running for at least four hours overall.

David: Nice scene withe the hobos and camp.

Today I attempt to finish the scenery area that I wanted to complete yesterday. Track cleaning is a must.

I ordered some card edge connectors with terminals to finish installing some turnout signals. They should arrive today, I hope. Another spot that hard to work in so I'm using these great modifications to a regular card edge connector rather than soldering the wires like I normally do. The vast majority of the turnouts on my layout have LED signal lamps operated by the Tortoise switch machines.

Back to surfing the Forum and down to the trains.

Greg

######################################

PSMRE2.jpg

A club layout in the pacific Northwest and it inspires me when I feel down about the hobby. - Greg

Last monday I ordered a computer part from a shop in Charlotte, NC. About 90 miles away via interstate.
They shipped the part Wednesday.
It should be here today, after taking a side trip to Atlanta.

Good Morning - I'm late, as usual. I managed to change the clock on the bedside table ... now I'm not waking up as early as I did before? Have not figured out how that works.
Spent most of the day yesterday with daughter and other family - it was daughters birthday and she sent me home with one of her 6 dogs - Avery! He is a pretty good little soul, but does not get the attention he wants with so many others to compete with. He and my smaller "Charlie" are about the same size and like to run and chase around the house.
Spousal Unit called from the Camen Islands where their ship docked for a visit. More technogoly: She signed up on a plan that for $10 a day she can make all the calls she wants, but is only charged for the days that she makes calls - she sounded as if she was standing next to me. I remember the yelling on the HF radio giving position reports over the oceans - yes- the yelling helped with all the static! Today they are headed to Aruba. One of the group did not make it - seems as if Denver was was shut down and she missed the flight to Florida - so there are ONLY 23 in the group. I bet it's hell trying to get a word into the conversations? I am enjoying the peace and quite here along with the wonderful 80 degrees we had yesterday and 75 (hopefully) today.

Bummer about NWSL closing up. Wonder if the business will be picked up by another? They sure put out a lot of things that could not be found elsewhere.

Louis -- What the heck are you so busy at that you hardly say anything. Damn - I used to think that you wouldn't shut up - now I find myself missing your pic and comments! Hope everything is OK with everyone?

DAVE -- Great photos - The car/engine shop is a great addition. That's funny about your wife telling you to clean up?
You are correct -- many times we need an interpter!

DAVID -- Your shots look amazing. I would have missed the mouse's meal had you not pointed it out - I hope you got him!

Good morning ...

We returned home late last night from Nashville. .... I-24 is now open with temporary lanes around the mudslide of 3 weeks ago they are cleaning up. .... Shelley's Mom has improved. She can get out of bed and get back in bed. Unfortunately, she got out of bed, walk across the hall, and got in the bed of the room across the hall while that patient was in the bathroom. ... Yesterday was the first time she remembered who Shelley and I are, and he was talkative. So, that's better.

Chet .... Prayers and best wishes to you as you have your surgery tomorrow.

Beady ... That's a good photo of the goose and locomotive.

Here is another ....

34966246414_643280cc3a_b.jpg

Willie ..... The auto body shop looks nice.

Dave LASM .... Your photo of the shop and railroad yard is excellent.

Greg .... I like the shot of the NP F-units.

Speaking of DC and single operators of a layout like Chet and Willie. My CM&N railroad is a modest size and I run the layout alone. There are plans for future operations and I hope 3 - 4 individuals could operate.

I like to run a slow, local freight train on the mainline and I can move cars and locomotives unrestricted in the Saxeville Interchange or even sort cars in the Pine River Yard or pull cars out of the New River coal mine. If the switcher needs the main line or to go through the reverse loop to change directions, then the local must stop and wait for the switcher to have completed its tasks.

The switcher can move cars along the main while the local is running. The virtues of DCC and not having to worry about blocks.

This isn't exactly true railroad operations, but allows me run trains, do some switching and just enjoy the layout!

Many times I'll run two trains on the main and just watch trains.

Greg

Making good progress today, can probably finish sorting and storing the non-track items in a couple more hours, then I'll have one table completely cleared and all my track piled up on the other. At that point I can set up a layout on the cleared table and run trains while I sort and store what's left on the second table.

Now the problem is to come up with an interesting layout. I've been printing out all the plans I can find online, regardless of scale. I'm working in N, so I'm thinking an interesting HO layout can be expanded and made more interesting. OTOH... Well, we'll have to see. Thank god (the atheist says as he crosses himself) I'm working with sectional track.

Speaking of which, I suddenly realized I've got a huge selection of Kato double-track viaduct and piers; I think there's a full set of piers for an elevated railway. Literally adds a new dimension to my tabletop possibilities.

FB_IMG_1551653963917.jpg
FB_IMG_1546560605787.jpg

The switcher can move cars along the main while the local is running. The virtues of DCC and not having to worry about blocks.

Greg: I operate a point to point switching railroad, currently using 39 linear foot layout running around the walls of the train room. I currently use DC
controls and have two short sections of track wired for cab control. The balance, operates off a single controller. Initially, I intended to use DCC but I found the DC controller first, so I wired in DC for "test" purposes. Almost three years later, I'm still "testing". Perhaps, I will get around to wiring the DCC soon, and that will alleviate the problem of running "blockless" DC.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then got a haircut. I've been in a modeling slump lately although I have a coal trestle to build. I'll probably won't do anything until Sunday. The grandkids are on spring break this week, Tomorrow we're going to the science center.

Terry- Nice looking MOW train.

Dave- Another nice wood load. Great yard shot and backdrop. I had that same building, but I managed to knock it off the layout and busted it up. I tried fixing it but it looked like crap, so it's gone.

CA Dave- Nice hobo shot.

Willie- Nice auto repair shot.

Chet- Nice rail shot. Prayers and well wishes for your surgery tomorrow.

Beady- Neat photo.

Greg- Great looking scene.

Garry- Hopefully your MIL will continue to improve.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yesterday was the first time she remembered who Shelley and I are, and he was talkative. So, that's better.

Garry: That's a positive step in her recovery. Hopefully, she will remember y'all on your next visit.

Chet: Best wishes for your upcoming surgery, tomorrow.

Boris

I've been in a modeling slump lately

Curt: Me too. Today, I spent some time removing cars from the layout and placing them in storage boxes. I realized, that my train room was as cluttered as Beady's ;). I'm going to hook up the DCC controller, and bring out some of my DCC engines. See if that inspires me to get with the program. :rolleyes:

Boris

Good afternoon.

Beady - Looks like the goose is about to be goosed.

Willie - Like the body shop. All of the different businesses you have sure will add interest.

Greg - I like the F units. Look familiar. The scenery is outstanding.

Joe - Still testing ??? I use 2 hand held controllers. One I usually use in one of the yards and the other to let the grand kids run trains on the main line. I have been running the layout for so long that flipping block switches have become second nature. Hardly have to think about it. Whan DCC became popular I did a lot of hard thinking about converting until my friend from Missouri who is a DCC guru admitted that I really didn't need it for the way I operate.

Spent the morning down in the train room running the locomotives that I have in the hidden staging area that haven't been run for a while. Found one I forgot I had. Must be "Old Timers Disease". Also spent time switching in one of the yards getting a long train together for the NP F units to drag around the layout. Could have used the old 0-5-0, but it's more fun using a switcher.

Here's my wreck train. Small railroad, small wreck train.

thumbnail_20190318_142756.jpg

Thanks all for the wishes for tomorrows adventure. I have been wondering if they have a bionic shoulder to help my bowling.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back