Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 45 and raining. Start of 2-3 days of rain and winds again. Weekend is looking good, though.

Nothing to report from the train room. We got home from work yesterday and it was so nice (50 degrees is nice at this time of year), so my wife and I spent an hour or more cleaning up the yard from all the limbs that recent winds had blown down.

Hey, can someone point out where the Private Message button is? I've sent PMs before, but not since the new look to the Forum, and I have searched and can't find it. Obviously I'm going blind. Help.

Have a good day everyone.

Here is some photos around the place, showing the amount of snow we've received.
HPIM8097.JPG

The above photo shows how messy Nuthatches and Chickadees can be! Good thing the deer come up and clean up after them!
HPIM8098.JPG
HPIM8099.JPG
HPIM8100.JPG

The wife says we need some insulation in the attic, we will add some this spring/summer.
HPIM8101.JPG

This is a look down our driveway. Although the camera doesn't capture how deep the snow piles are along the driveway, when we drive down it, we can't see over them. The worst is down where we get out onto Highway 71, where the snow piles are high enough that we have a hard time seeing oncoming traffic. We have to creep out of the driveway; so, the Northbound traffic can be seen. They are saying we're going to get rain tomorrow. Hopefully this will take down some of the piles.

Good morning everyone. 45 and raining. Start of 2-3 days of rain and winds again. Weekend is looking good, though.

Nothing to report from the train room. We got home from work yesterday and it was so nice (50 degrees is nice at this time of year), so my wife and I spent an hour or more cleaning up the yard from all the limbs that recent winds had blown down.

Hey, can someone point out where the Private Message button is? I've sent PMs before, but not since the new look to the Forum, and I have searched and can't find it. Obviously I'm going blind. Help.

Have a good day everyone.

You click on the name you want to PM, and hit start a conversation tab in the lower R/H corner of the box.

As Toot would say. "G'Day"! Supposed to reach 62 today.
It was light rain most all night from 9pm to 5am.

Good morning, 20 and cloudy, light rain just beginning.

Sounds like we have a few days of rain forecast with flooding likely tomorrow.

Willie-- The cigar shop is my favorite from this group

Mark D-- I think we actually have more snow down here in the metro

THANKS for the photo compliments

Layout shot of the day: This is my group of Woodland Scenics cast-to-assemble buildings, from the back

a final view 030.JPG

I went so far as to string up all the powerlines and put in electrical boxes.

Have a good day, all... Dave

Good morning. Checking in late. Went to breakfast with some friends (not at IHOP) and picked up a few items while in town. Started off at 16 degrees early this morning, but it is already up to 35.

Our resident wabbit found the rabbit food we put out for him. (or her). With so much snow cover, I have no idea where it's finding anything to eat.
thumbnail_20190312_090523.jpg

I did get somewhat bored yesterday and plowed the driveway again trying to scrape as much snow as I could off to the edges so when the snow melts the water can go into the ground instead of turning the drive into a lake.

David - Is this the photo you wanted ??

electrictrain.jpg

Willie - The town is coming along nicely. Keep the photos coming.

Mark - All of the snow does look familiar. We also have huge icicles hanging from the roof.

Dave - Another nice photo. I had thought about stringing power and phone lines but I'm sure that I would tear them out reaching into the layout.

I did run trains yesterday again. Did some switching and then let the NP F units run while working on updating some of the older parts of the layout.
Here it is dropping downgrade into the hidden staging area. This will be my rail video for today.

Later

Last edited:
CHET - That is a "FAB" video of those F's! The mars light looks great - did it come that way?
Also noted that there was nadda a giggle, or wobble, going through the turnout -- very smooth.

The Mars light was included. Greg put me in touch with South Side Trains in Milwaukee and Tom the owner programmed it for me. I told him that I am a complete DCC dummy and he was kind enough to program the units for DCC and also turn on the headlight and Mars light for DC. I would recomment this shop to anyone. Retail was $379 and I got it for $259.

Afternoon All,

Got out of going to the school today because I had to follow our son down to the HD dealership for a modification he's having done. The place was setting up for a bike week party and it was a zoo. My part is now in MS somewhere.

Greg- Nice layout scene. I've never been very successful with water features.

Toot- I thought the loco was a Australian creation...oops!

Willie- I really like the cigar store.

Dave- Nice looking scene.

Chet- Great video.

This is a Funaro resin kit I built 2 of a couple of years ago.

20190312_142251.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Mark D-- I think we actually have more snow down here in the metro

Could be; but, I thought you've had rain and melting! Our's has only started to melt today, it's been below freezing since Mid November here. A couple weeks ago our local paper had snow totals and they stated then that we'd received 45 inches. Guessing; but, I think it would have been easy to add another 15-25 inches to that total, now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curt:
This is a Funaro resin kit I built 2 of a couple of years ago.
I liked your version of LCL-1 with X29s, container flats and early pig s. Really a good job replicating the train.

Chet:
Here it is dropping downgrade into the hidden staging area. This will be my rail video for today.
Those F7s are outstanding. As the train approached the first thing I noticed was the oscillating (Mars) light, Great video.then the sound, the sound reverberating off the retaining wall behind the train, then the sound of the train as it passed. The only thing missing was the thump of a car or two with flat or shelled wheels.

Dave:
[QUOTE="logandsawman, post: 453772, member: 2479"]Layout shot of the day: This is my group of Woodland Scenics cast-to-assemble buildings, from the back[/QUOTE]
Outstanding modeling, where did you find the patience to string the pole lines?

Not for nothing, the modeling that Chet, Curt, Dave, Garry, Greg and Willie treat us to each day, is outstanding. Their work challenges me to place more effort into my own modeling efforts.

Today, I drove down to Point Pleasant, to pick up my new tags for the truck, after a stop at Michaels, and lunch, I went up to JIffy Lube, for an oil change. Now, the truck is set for another year. The Caddie probably needs brakes and an oil change in the near future. The wife is interested in something new, so we may do something before summer, or not.

Tomorrow, I pay my annual visit to the Dermatologist. Naturally, the condition I wanted him to look at, has cleared up, so I will have to describe the problem, and try to get in when it next rears itself.

On the layout, I have been running both Rapido RDCs. I can't run them together until I get a 21 point decoder for the RDC1, and speed match them, so they can be consisted. For now, I alternate them. Single car RDCs during off peak hours were very common.
Still working on the Middlesex Manufacturing building, which will become part of the chemical plant complex, but I'm taking my time with it. If it warms up enough, I may get to dullcoat the completed walls.

This place has been kind of quiet lately, Hopefully, Louis will be able to liven things up a bit.

Boris

Bruette must be busy with something! As he usually punches in around 2:00 AM.

We're supposed to start raining at 2:00 PM today and get maybe over an inch of rain. As long as it melts snow I will be just fine with it! We're at +32 degrees now and it's supposed to stay above freezing until 4:00 PM tomorrow. After Saturday, temps are supposed to be trending up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to do movies; but, here is a photo of my Northern Pacific A-B-A set of F-7 done in N.P. Freight livery. It's 1953 and I felt the locomotives might have a bit of shine left. No Mars light! These are re-painted Athearn Blue Box kits. The front A and middle B units are powered while the back "A" only has power to the light when backing up. The powered units have been re-motored with NWSL motors and run beautifully and can pull paint off a wall if, needed!
HPIM8091.JPG

Good Morning Everybody!

Busy, that's what I have been and I still am!

God willing I will have more time as the week goes on.

Great photo Mark!

Have a great day Everybody!

Thanks for the comment on my F units Louis! Glad to hear from you!!!

I guess it's time for B-fast! Flo, a cup of hot "Joe" and a stack of flap jacks with link sausage should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back