Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Started the day off at +5 but are already up to 32 degrees with clear skies.

We have had a resident rabbit living oin our front yard for the past few years, but with all of the snow cover, we picked up some rabbit food and hope he'll eat it. There's still over 2 feet of snow on the level and have no idea how he is surviving.

Willie - Thanks for bringing up Eric White. We used to talk on a regular basis although it was extremely hard to understand him in the end. Down in the train room yesterday I ran across some rock molds that he had borrowed to build his mountain. I do miss him.

Beady - Some other attributes of getting older is the deterioration of eyesight, hand eye co-ordination among others. Been there and am living with it.

Spent a lot of time in the train room yesterday. Switched cars in the yards, built train and delivered freight to various customers along the main line. Also spent some time sprucing up some of the older parts of the layout. While I was doing this, I ran the Walthers F units. I am still qute impressed with them. They will be my rail photo for today.

thumbnail_20190308_131949.jpg

NASCAR in Phoenix today. Later.

Hello gang
Hanging at the GFs today, still not getting updates on forum posts, this is really starting to piss me off! :mad:

Afternoon All,

Not much to report. I did some chores earlier and did some reading. I just can't seem to get motivated to do anything this afternoon. I did check on the status of the part I'm waiting on, the USPS site says it will be here tomorrow but that it's in Memphis, so we will see.

Greg- Nice scene. Good luck reasoning with the wife, it wouldn't work with mine.

Chet- Nice layout shot. The F units look great.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon,

I am late today, had to skip church because of the awful roads (it is 15 miles to church) but also had to go into work and clear snow because that is my job there, as well as I live less than a mile from work so that comes with the territory.

A happy note, we only got 4" of snow, although very heavy stuff; where they forecasted a foot!

I got some model railroading in yesterday, re worked an old Bachmann 30' flatcar and got going on a window display for our apartment. I have several freight cars to assemble and the locomotive to paint, will display them in our kitchen window on this two track x 36" long 2 x 4 so we have some model trains going on here.

Greg--Interesting facts about Potato Row

Chet-- interesting facts about the Montana potato growers!

Curt--thanks for sharing your formula on glueing down ballast. Something I am just about to do, however could not remember!

Layout photo of the day:

landscape1 005.JPG

A couple GP-18's coming around the curve

Have a restful day, if possible...Dave

Anyone here ever shoot an M-1 Garand [sp] ? If so , can you relate how accurate they were/are .
Thank you,
Phil

Well I got my internet issues resolved. While the ISP took early morning responsibility for the DNS server being down, when I spoke with tech assistance after lunch, they said that everything was back to normal, but they couldn't see what my problem was. They pinged in and had me do some kind of" ipconfig" stuff to no avail. Of course this was assistance from afar (at least in the USA) since my small rural ISP doesn't staff the help desk on weekends. After turning the modem off and on about a dozen times, changing the phone cord, turning the computer off and on several times, it still didn't work. :mad: It was just before we went out to supper at our favorite Italian place, that I discovered a very small reset button, the kind that you have to use a toothpick to reset, hidden on the back of the modem. It worked! Our local tech people would probably have known that it was there; they are very good folks. But now, after Italian food and wine, it's time for some sleep.
See you in the morning.:)

Wow, I'm first again! Toot, I love the little Shop Goats, like the one your photo shows!

Weather Underground is showing us hovering right around zero this morning and my thermometer agrees. No precipt until tomorrow, around noon, when there is a chance of rain which is supposed to continue until Thursday at 5:00, when it turns to a wintery mix of rain and snow. Yuk!!

Florence, bring me I nice hot cup of Joe and and a hot bowl of Oat meal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here ever shoot an M-1 Garand [sp] ? If so , can you relate how accurate they were/are .
Thank you,
Phil

Flip, I qualified with the M-14 which was pretty much like a M-1 Garand. The M-14 had adjustable sights, so you could make it as accurate as needed. I would guess that the Garand was the same. The M-1 was the rifle used by most every solder in WW-2, I can't imagine that it would have had very many problems. I have a friend who has one, I will email him and ask how they shoot

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. Looks like 48° with light sprinkles. A pretty much straight line forecast for the next 60 hours with the temperature gradually rising (and barometric pressure gradually dropping), to 62° Wednesday, and then spiking to over 70° with scattered rain the whole time. Then a relatively warm and clear forecast for the next seven days.

Thanks for the comments and likes on Saturday's pictures, Joe, Garry, Chet, Louis, Dave, Tom, Curt and anyone else that I may have missed.

Over the last two days out in the train shed, I split time running some locals and waiting for glue to dry. I also painted quite a few white-metal detail parts that came with a DPM structure that I have added to my small town project. A task for today or tomorrow is figuring the best way to attach metal clothing to a clothesline; there's several options, I just have to figure out which is least obvious to the eye.
Another couple of pictures here. In honor of my wife, here is the local H&R Block office in the town of Vernon, which is named after her father.
03-08-19 007.JPG

If I remember correctly, all three of these structures came from Smalltown which I painted and I added window treatments, sidewalks, figures and signs.
Here's one of a structure that most of us are familiar with, the Atlas Switch Tower. This is the first structure that I built over thirty years ago and has survived four layouts.
03-08-19 012.JPG

OK, I'm a day late with some comments due to my network issues yesterday, but I'll try to remember everyone.
Joe - After running trains, my second favorite part of this hobby is detailing scenes. It's one of the reasons that it takes me so long to complete scenery in some places. I might spend an hour studying a scene and then add a shovel or a broom. I am going for the "real" look as opposed to the "modeled" look, even though very few people actually see the whole layout. You guys on the forum have seen more of the layout than my wife has!:rolleyes:
Garry - Interesting comment regarding the taxes. I won't know for a while because my wife, the tax preparer, doesn't do ours until last!
Garry/Dave - The bears. I have a few mini-scenes like that situated around the layout. Some quite visible like that one and some not quite as subtle. No monsters though.
Dave - You did a good job replicating the potato warehouse. Dang, only 15 miles to church. ours is 22 miles.
Sherrel - Just let the moths out of your wallet for a change. Upkeep on a 19 year old truck (at least that's what I thought you said) is going to cost more than payments on another. You should be able to get a reasonably priced used one from someone fleeing the state.
Greg - Nice scene. BTW, did you look at the Rusty Stumps website for junk? I am interested in getting opinions regarding his stuff.

I have never had any issues with Elmer's White Glue used on ground cover or ballast, so I haven't seen a need to change.

Please note that today is National Napping Day. I don't need a special day for naps, every day is a good one but it is nice to know that we recognize their benefits with an honorary day.
Everybody have a great day and I hope that everyone wakes from their naps today.

Good morning everyone. 42 and cloudy.

We got the promised storms early Saturday morning, and winds gusting to nearly 50 mph all day Saturday. Yard is strewn with branches, big and small. As soon as the nice weather gets here, I'll have a bear of a job just cleaning up the yard. We did get out to hit a few stores Saturday, but I nearly got knocked over several times by wind gusts.

Gary, Dave, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - Thanks for the positive comments on the logging camp. Helps me know I'm on the right track, though there's a lot yet to be done to make it look like a working camp.
Willie - The storms and wind came at us from North Texas/Oklahoma - hope you escaped most of that severe weather. Also, thanks for the good idea on the stumps and firewood piles for my logging camp.
Dave B - Nice photos of the potato warehouse. I especially like the effect you achieved on the roof.
Terry - I've seen ballasting concoctions before - the one you mentioned: white Elmer's glue, a little water, and a little liquid soap - I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a shot.

Big E - have fun with that big layout in the sky

Over the weekend I did get a lot of time in the train room. Got some ballasting done, added some roadway, put down some grassy areas for some houses. Forgot to reshoot that out-of-focus photo of the logging camp - will do that later, after some more work on the area. Also made some progress at the modeling bench - I have two structures, including a DPM kit, that I'm trying to finish. Then I have three kits waiting for me. Also have some fences, a boat dock (for the lake), and some stacks of lumber that I need to put together. I may be closing in on the end of my structure-building - about out of room on the layout!!

Have a good day everyone.

Looks as if we will climb out of the 50's today - the high is expected at 61 degrees.
There is lots of moisture complete with rain, sleet, and snow expected in "the big city" and the mountains just north of "the big city" over the next couple days … I doubt that it will reach down here?

The moths have left, Willie! There is nothing left for them to feast on!

Good morning y'all.43° and foggy, which is appropriate because today I feel like I'm in a fog :rolleyes:.

Good morning, it is 10 and sunny, headed for 28. Looks like mild temps all week! Rain forecasted for Wed, Thur.

We have ice everywhere, the sun is melting the massive snowbanks and it is pooling up in all the road gutters and everywhere it can.

I will check in later when more of us are going...

layout photo of the day:

a final view 001.JPG

This is one of my favorites. Most of the old freight cars are the "less detailed" style. Note the "pig palace" it is one I have not seen except the one place where I bought it. I buried a couple for storage sheds because I couldn't part with them.

Everyone have a great day today...Dave

Good Morning Everyone.....again overcast with maybe some rain later.

Willie: I did look at Rusty Stumps for detail parts and they look to be aexcellent soiuce for me. I'll just have to find a OO brush to paint the detail work. The detail parts may just be ideal for working on the hobby at the cabin instead of do a sratch built structure over the summer and fall.

Trains today and then run for some gasoline for the truck...don't drive it much in the winter and I think this will be its second fill up since November.

Today's projects include looking for a piece of rolling stock that has a coupler pin in too low for a grade crossing or even a turnout. Willie I had that Atlas tower and I purchased it from a friend maybe 10 years ago and just finished the structure last year and added an LED interior light. A fun little project. I painted the two stories different colors.

The layout room carpet tiles need a good vacuum cleaning.

That's all for now.

Greg

######################

Waupaca One.jpg

Willie, here my Atlas tower....

The unfinished Waupaca Industrial area. The area inside the fencing is a junk yard (now has the cut up bridge sections) and the area in front of the tower needs some low vegetation. A good project for later.

The track to the lower right will run to the New freight yard which will be called Fond du Lac yards. Fond du Lac is a small town in Wisconsin where the former Wisconsin Central had a freight yard and now its greatly smaller and less active then when it was part of the Wis Central and its now part of CN system. -Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back