Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Started of at +5 but may make it above freezing by afternoon. I'm sure that Mark, Greg and Dave are probably as fed up with winter as I am. We are 15 to 20 degrees colder than our normal highs. Our long ranger forecast does have temperatures getting into the 40's, 50's and even possibly into the low 60's next week. With all of the snow on the ground, some people may need to take up boating.

Dave - Nice photos. What are you going to do with your diesels now that you are modeling an earlier era? Like the yard photo also.

Ray - I like steamers, but that is one UGLY steamer you posted.

Willie - I really enjoy seeing your town photos. Keep them coming. When it comes to hanging metal clothing castings to a clothesline, I used super glue. It was a pain in the butt project, but it did work. The line is drooping a bit, but I can live with it.

thumbnail_20190311_083822.jpg

Greg
- Nice photo. I have the same Atlas tower and would like to get it lit along with a few other buildings. Nice scene.

I'll probably head down to the train room for a while until it warms up. There are a few inches of snow in the driveway that I should push out of the way to expose grass. Some of the moisture from snow melt will be absorbed into the bare ground. I'll be out of service next week with my shoulder surgery, so I had better get ahead of my projects.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Trains-and-Tracks-Playlist-Train-Poems.jpg

Later

Willie - ... When it comes to hanging metal clothing castings to a clothesline, I used super glue. It was a pain in the butt project, but it did work. The line is drooping a bit, but I can live with it.
Obviously that is the same kit that I am using. I am debating between using Super Glue or a UV activated glue. That house has moved on the current layout four times until I am now happy with it's location. I have posted pictures of the other half of the same kit before.

Obviously that is the same kit that I am using. I am debating between using Super Glue or a UV activated glue. That house has moved on the current layout four times until I am now happy with it's location. I have posted pictures of the other half of the same kit before.

Super glue was all I had on hand. This was done around 15 years ago,

The line is drooping a bit, but I can live with it.
Chet: Wet clothes are themselves quite heavy, and weigh down the line, which is why my mother used clothes poles to hold up the line. Your clothes line scene looks real.

Boris

Chet-- I have a bunch of diesels and plan on keeping them and running them on the track with some of the later rolling stock that I have.

The long term plan is to have a lower shelf with multiple tracks which I can turn power on/off to and be able to rotate trains off and on the layout. This somewhat hidden yard will be connected to the mainline via a tunnel coming out of a hill which will hide the decline to the lower shelf.

After selling off a bunch of rolling stock over the years I decided to keep all my favorite stuff that I have remaining. The buildings created for 1920's will fit in ok with the post war period, especially since the new configuration will be heave on scenery.

Howdy everyone!

Chet, Dave LASM, Willie, Greg, Garry: Fantastic photos! Your layouts are just amazing. I really appreciate the pics!

I picked up a 4' LED shop light for the layout and will hang another next week. I'm still working on the expansion benchwork and desperately need the light. Really looking forward to getting the trackwork done and running the trains around the expanded layout!

Good Day!

oZ4ehsc.jpg

Curt: More Diamonds - Marion OH
JrXBzGG.jpg

Conneaut OH / B&LE ore docks
eBWgiP1.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier and not much since. Tomorrow I will be at the elementary school inventorying library books all day. I was volunteered by MOH:rolleyes:. My kit parts were supposed to be delivered today but they have been sitting in Memphis for 2 days. I just love USPS at times. Since this is a coal trestle I'm only going to use A&I on the structure and weathering powder in the appropriate parts. Based on this I want to apply the A&I to everything at one time.

Dave- Nice locomotive shot.

Willie- Internet and computer issues are very frustrating.

Toot- What kind of loco is that?

Dave- Very nice layout shot. When you say pig palace, do you mean the stock car? I have never heard that term before.

Greg- Nice looking scene. The buildings really hide the room corner.

Chet- Great Clothesline scene. You could probably use cut up plastic figures for clothes also.

Max- Great photos. I really like the snow one.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon....up from the train room, fueled and washed the truck ad then then back down for a couple of hours.

I had a turnout that a locomotive or two would occasionally stall and then start again. I checked the loco's wheel gauges, the frog, the guard rails and cleaned the turnout and still had the problem. This was a on and off problem since it was installed but, again only for certain locomotives. I ran the 16 car ore train for two two hours through the turnout without a problem.

This afternoon I finally found out what the turnout problem was and the solution was simple...some how the turnout wasn't laying flat and had a very slight wrap at the the tail end from the points to the end of the turnout. I simply pressed down on the turnout and it regained its normal shape and the locomotives now ran perfectly though the turnout. I'll keep an eye on this turnout and if necessary use a track nail to secure the turnout to the sub-roadbed.

I went to a storage area under the layout looking for an item and I found enough bags of Woodland Scenics ground foam and other products to do a medium size layout. I forgot I had these bags and even found a package of fresh Woodland Scenics green lichen! I have a habit of impulse buying and making sure I don't run out of scenery materials. Now more of a reason to start the freight yard.

I been looking at the floor to ceiling shelving that is in the future yard's location. Maybe 3/4's of the stuff we stored there could be trashed or donated to Goodwill.

I also found a BIN, Mainline C&NW switcher and I forgot if I installed DCC in the locomotive. I'll let testing go to another day.

Tomorrow, I hope to go to the cabin so no trains since it's a day trip there and back.

Back hopefully on Wednesday......60's forecasted for Thursday!!!

Greg

Main Line Action on The CM&N.jpg

A fast freight passes the Omro pond on the CM&NR. The blue covered hopper is a special run car from the old Indian Head Lines formerly located in the Walthers' building in Milwaukee. The railroad was featured on the cover of Model Railroader with a full article and I was lucky to visit the railroad and see the layout in operation many times. Walther's needed more space and the railroad was dismantled. The signal in the center of the photo is an operating Tomar three color signal that is triggered by a passing train. -Greg

Toot- What kind of loco is that?

SP #567 started life as a 1903 Baldwin 0-6-0 switcher and was modified by the SP Sacramento shops. Eventually got a bit more streamlining added
1552348285352.png

May have looked something like this to begin with
1552348732537.png

Of the pictures I could find of SP's yard switchers, this ones wheels and gear seem the closest match. most others show smaller diameter wheels.

Good morning. Started of at +5 but may make it above freezing by afternoon. I'm sure that Mark, Greg and Dave are probably as fed up with winter as I am. We are 15 to 20 degrees colder than our normal highs. Our long ranger forecast does have temperatures getting into the 40's, 50's and even possibly into the low 60's next week. With all of the snow on the ground, some people may need to take up boating.

Dave - Nice photos. What are you going to do with your diesels now that you are modeling an earlier era? Like the yard photo also.

Ray - I like steamers, but that is one UGLY steamer you posted.

Willie - I really enjoy seeing your town photos. Keep them coming. When it comes to hanging metal clothing castings to a clothesline, I used super glue. It was a pain in the butt project, but it did work. The line is drooping a bit, but I can live with it.

View attachment 35063

Greg - Nice photo. I have the same Atlas tower and would like to get it lit along with a few other buildings. Nice scene.

I'll probably head down to the train room for a while until it warms up. There are a few inches of snow in the driveway that I should push out of the way to expose grass. Some of the moisture from snow melt will be absorbed into the bare ground. I'll be out of service next week with my shoulder surgery, so I had better get ahead of my projects.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 35064

Later

Chet: Interesting pictures.

Speaking of interesting pics & locs, would you again post the shot of the early, Green, Center Cab loc with the Old large box style Head Lamp you posted last month for Louis. I found it very curious as I didn't see any trolley on it or smoke stack either !??

Good Morning All. 54° and cloudy. The 100% chance of thunderstorms last night provided only .05" of rain, or maybe that was a heavy dew! They do look like they're headed to Johnny's place now. Didn't mention that we've been keeping the granddog since Thursday while my daughter and family are in Hawaii. Despite being admonished about chasing those small black creatures with a long white stripe, she went after another one last evening. Usually when they're being chased they're just running for their lives, and they cannot stop and spray. Not last night! Good, it was directed away from the dumb dog; bad, it was less than 20' from the house and the very strong" scent is still lingering around this morning. "Dumb" - the dog wanted to go back out less than five minutes later; and that's the first place that she went this morning.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the pictures, Tom, Phil, Dave, Jim, Chet and anyone that I may have overlooked.
Here's a couple more small business in downtown Vernon. First is "Uncle" Lou's Cigar Shop, a Bar Mills laser-cut wood "starter" kit.
03-12-19 005.JPG

Then there's the Red Owl Food Store. This is a Walther's repackaging of an old Magnuson model called "The Gemini Building"; which I have had for over 30 years and resides elsewhere on the layout.
03-12-19 003.JPG

All of the background stuff came from a fellow forum member known as Tomkat, who posted hundreds of downloadable, printable backdrop buildings several years ago. Administrator Bob, fixed all of the downloads last year when we changed software; after they were originally lost due to PhotoBucket. I looked this morning at the original postings and those pictures have also been restored, but they mostly have the PB logo watermarked on them. I don't know what Bob did with the restored ones that he did without the watermark.

Yesterday in the train shed, I took a break from scenery to run trains. That's why they're there.

Greg - I think that I have a light in my Atlas tower also, but no structures have been wired to the lighting buss yet. Ditto here on the ground foam. Before retiring I bought bags and bags because my LHS owner was also retiring and everything in the store was 40% off MSRP. Have a safe and productive trip to the cabin.
Chet - As Joe pointed out, the sagging clothesline is how they look after wet clothes are hung on them. Scene looks good to me.

Take your pick, today is National Girl Scout Day; and it is also National Pancake Day. Free pancakes all day long at IHOP if you donate to their children's charity.
Everybody have a wonderful day.

Good morning y'all. 35° and sunny, going to 45°.

Willie: Good use of the backgrounds. like the scenes.

Boris

Good morning ...

National Pancake Day ! .... Coffee and pancakes, please....... I heard IHOP is giving them away .

Chet ...... Nice layout photos from you. Your scenes really do look like they are alive.

Willie..... Your scenes also look life like . As you do, I have a Greyhound Scenicruiser .

Dave LASM .... I like your CNW Geeps and your yard scene.

Greg .... Your industrial area looks great.

Toot .... Nice photos of the shop switcher. .... A streamlined "fireless cooker" evidently.

See y'all later. We're leaving shortly for Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back