Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of stuff that keeps me from getting work done at work. It's good to be the boss. Roanoke, VA semi-pro hockey team. Love the logo.

header.png

Good evening. Place is slow tonight, guess everyone was out enjoying the Spring weather :rolleyes:

Things worked out very well today. The wife had a pleasant birthday. Her day started with a call from South Korea, where the oldest is with the 6-6 Cav. Then we went to the local IHOP, where we actually had a pleasant experience. (They even got the biscuits n gravy right). Then we drove up to Wegmans, where we bought a fantastic Strawberry Short cake, as well as our heat n serve dinner. Everyone had a delivery today, USPS, FedEx and UPS, plus two florists, as everyone remembered Mom / Grand mom. In between, I found time to sneak off to the train room, and work on another B&O 55 ton hopper, and a background building. Week went by pretty quick, again and with the cold and rainy weather, it puts the yard work further behind.

Sam: Love the Hockey Team Logo.

Chet: More great photos.

4th_64SEP23_16_A-Pb.jpg

Good Morning All. 48° with clear skies. Slightly warmer yesterday than the forecast, topping out at 70°, should see a repeat today and cooler with thunderstorms tomorrow. There's a 100% chance of rain tomorrow, forecasters seem pretty sure... Bought a new dishwasher yesterday while on the grocery/beer trek. I have replaced two circuit boards in the old one in the last eight months; the old one is getting too expensive to keep repairing. I had previously replaced the keypad and the latch within the last three years. Delivery is set for next Wednesday. Finished planting the last of my tomato plants, a bit later this year than usual because of the late frost threats. All 60 of them are now in the ground, I'll get the last twelve pepper plants in today before the expected rain tomorrow. Spent more time mowing yesterday afternoon before heading out to dinner with one of my wife's old workmates and her husband to celebrate the end of tax season. She works at a different office now so we listened to them trade stories about work. Fun!!!
Thanks for the comments on the cafe, Chet, Garry, Curt, and anyone else that I may have missed. I already know which yet-to-be completed town it's going into, along with about a dozen other already completed structures, but I probably won't seriously work on that town until Fall 2019. I truly thought that I would have more modeling time once I retired, but it has eluded me so far.
I know that I went out to the train shed yesterday, but I don't remember if I did anything train related besides run a couple of end-to-end unit freights.

Johnny - I know that it seems to be slow progress working on parking lots and streets, but getting them the way that you feel looks best is very satisfying in the end. I named some towns after people in my life, Charlottesville for my granddaughter for example. Another is named Vernon for my late father-in-law.
Garry - Regarding George W. Bush, no "Bush bashers" here in Texas; while governor of Texas, he signed the biggest tax reduction bill in TX history and signed the concealed carry law that his predecessor, Ann Richards, had vetoed. Sounds like a fun trip that you are planning.
Greg (WI) - Snow huh? And I am looking at a date soon to remove the swimming pool cover!
Joe - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife.

Everybody have an awesome day and an even more awesome weekend. I'm getting a jump on a three day weekend today!:cool:

Willie

Good morning everyone. 38 and sunny out there, heading for 62 today. A dreary rainy weekend on tap, though, but we ARE finally leaving winter behind!!

Willie - Looks like a nice job on that cafe. That's a good idea, about naming towns for special people in your life. Would work for businesses, too. I'll keep that in mind.
Chet - great rail photos, as always

In the train room, I keep working on roads, parking lots, and scenery. The main town is finally taking on a more "finished" and realistic look. Will post some photos next week.

Have a good day everyone.

Say, Toot - I understand there are some serious wildfires burning in Australia. Any of them near you, or are you in any danger from them?

Good morning. Happy Friday! 41° and sunny at the Jersey Shore.

Willie: Enjoy the three day weekend.

Sherrel: That's what I'm aiming for. :rolleyes:

Good morning. 32 degrees with clear skies. Should get up near 60 this afternoon.

It sure was quite here last night like Joe mentioned.

Joe - Excellent photo. You sure had a nice calm day yesterday.

Johnny - I'll be waiting to see photos of your town.

Willie - No gardening up here yet. We figure that the growing season up here is from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Any warm weather outside of these dates aren't common. Looking forward to see your town come together.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get a few of the Woodland Scenics lights hooked up and working. Need the extra hub to complete the project. I'll also have to get a few items ready for sale at the train show in Livingston on the 28th. We are supposed to get up near 70 tomorrow so I am hoping to get over to the club for the first time in months. We had a lot of bowling tournaments which took up a lot of weekends and then when I did have a free Saturday, the weather was crappy and I did not want to have to deal with the pass.

Here the rail photo for the day.

trains-railroad_00389817.jpg

I have seen comments here and on other forums about prototype double crossovers not being very common. Here's one.

Later

Good Morning! It's 39* headed to 73* with currently clear skies. Yesterday put me behind asit was a really crummy day for around here. It tried it's best torain most of the day, but all it could muster was a few heavy sprinkles just enough to wet the driveway. Never got above 62* and the wind could not make up its mind which way it wanted to blow nor the velocity.
Lots of details to complete today getting ready to leave. Spousal Unit had changed her mind several times on where we are heading and for how long. Should I keep score? Maybe she will settle in after we depart, or maybe we may turn back before the state line?
Time to refill the java cup!

Good morning ...

Sherrel .... I think you should take a 6 month trip and see everything and everybody you want.

Joe ... I like the Pennsy photo.

Willie ..... Yes, it will be fun time on the Branson train.... If you are interested, let me know. You might be about the same distance to Branson as I am, but of course from a different direction. I knew GWB was a good governor there. He was a good president too, and as he has said the historians will decide how good he was. I will say his critics have no valid complaints at all.

Chet .... The double crossover in you photo appears to be away from a big city. Usually, a double crossover would be in a congested area instead of out in the country like that one appears to be. . I have two double crossovers on my layout. .

Here is one double crossover.

35801407835_89a9cc105d_b.jpg

Garry - Nice photo as usual. I also have 2 double crossovers on my layout, both at the entrance to a yard in order to save precious 1/87 real estate.

20180128_160444.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

So far thet have both been totally trouble free. The one in the lower photo has been in place for around 25 years.

CHET & GARRY: OK, stop it! ... Now you guys are just showing off!
Seriously, very nice work.

Garry - About a six month trip is exactly what I had in mind ..maybe an entire year! Seriously ...sell everything and spend the next couple years deciding where to finish out life! Spousal Unit won't leave her 96 YO Mom...that's OK .. wish I had been closer to my parents in their later years, but they were both in pretty good health (seemly better than me lately) , and boom, they were gone within a year of each other. OH Well -- I'll just make like a normal airline pilot and complain a lot ... but I do enjoy the weather around here 98% of the time!

Chet .... Great photos !..... What brand are the crossovers? ... Mine are Shinahara ... Sometimes the contacts must be cleaned to keep power in the rails.

Sherrel..... Thanks for your comment about the photo. .... I can understand your wife wanting to be with her mother. My Mom passed away two years ago at 96. Before then, I made regular trips to Alabama where she lived, and also, I called her on the phone nearly every night. I am glad for those times with her. ...My Dad died much younger at 72, and recall talking with hi in the phone a lot before then.

Mine are also Shinohara. Nobody else made them in code 70 when I installed the first one. Haven't had any contact problems with them. Yet

Garry and Chet: What is the secret to wiring these monsters? You both seem to be using live frogs, not that it would matter, but do they present a reverse loop problem? Might be an answer to a problem that I am having with my still ongoing design nightmares.

There is no special wiring done on mine. The points carry the current to what ever position that they are in. The frog is live, but I am not using them on a reverse loop. I would have preferred not using double crossovers, but in order to be able to operate the way I needed in the limited space available, they were the solution to the problem. I do operate DC only.

Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny again today and snow is melting...finally.

Spent the better part of the morning installing two GFI outlets. One GFI protects another outlet that it shares with a circuit, but the electrical inspector wants every outlet on a kitchen counter to have its own GFI. No sense at all. The wiring in my house leaves a lot to be desired. All outlets were back wired instead of using the terminal screws, fast and easy, but still to code. And, a lot of shared neutrals, like the furnace sharing a neutral with a lighting circuit.

Tomorrow one more outlet. wife is afraid of me and electricity...when I worked I was responsible for a 26 kv system

Did paint parts of an Atlas Interlocking tower last night. Old kit but will bash it to some degree. Will install a LED light. Used some Tamiya spray paint...really needs to be mixed to provide good coverage.

Chet: Please post some photo's of your street lights after they are wired. Using a double slip cross-over turnout before a yard is a good idea and I may just use that approach on my freight yard.

Garry: Again nice photos.

Willie: Like Chet, no planting here in Wisconsin until Memorial Day. Several years ago we had 7 inches of snow on May 10th.

Sherrel: Never been in a Starbucks...over $5 for a coffee...rather have a mixed cocktail...lol.

Sam: That is a great team logo.

Taking a break and then to the train room. Do a little ballasting and work on the tower.

That's all for now....

Greg

####################

Mine are also Shinohara. Nobody else made them in code 70 when I installed the first one. Haven't had any contact problems with them. Yet
Chet: Far as I know, Shinohara is still the only one to make a double crossover in Code 70. Both you and Garry have been posting some really nice photos of your fantastic layouts.

Double crossovers anr not favored by Engineering Types, because of the additional maintenance required for the diamond. However, when space is tight, the suddenly become the way to go, along with single and double slip switches. They are /were very common at larger passenger terminals.

The PRR photo was taken at Altoona. The HO version, mostly seen coupled to an N5 Cabin, (like in the photo), resides on my layout, but without the detailed scenery. Note: The engine doesn't like Shinohara Code 70 #4 switches, so it is banned from one industrial lead, just like the real ones. :rolleyes:

What is it about Fridays, that causes all the mentally defective people to come out enmass? Post office, Bank and Bed Bath and Beyond, all simple transactions complicated by conflicted people, not to mention the idiot that tried to go straight while the left turn traffic had the green arrow...:eek:
On the bright side, the sunlight is warming, even though the air temperature is just 50°.:)

Joe - I think you are correct about Shinohara being the only one to make the code 7o double crossover.

There were a few time that I thought I had shot myself in the foot by going to code 70 when I started the layout. It was started by handlaying all of the track and turnouts which wasn't bad when the Kadee spike gun was working. When it died for the last time, trying to get code 70 turnouts was a pain. Every time I put in an order, three quarters of what I needed was out of stock. Years back Shinohara was quite slow getting their products made. When Walthers took over the line here in the US, suppliers got a bit better. I liked the Shinohara because it fir the bulk rail that I had started with almost exactly. Still it was hard to find. I saw their track on ebay going at double the retail price if not more. Finally on line retailers such as MB Klein came on the scene making things easier to get. Micro Engineering has a really nice line to track in code 70, but it was more expensive than the Shinohara and the choice of turnouts wasn't as good. Now that the track is all down, it was worth the time it took as I think the code 70 looks so much better, especially after having to deal with the grossly oversize rail that N gauge had at the time.

I haven't had many problems at all with equipment running on the code 70 track. Years ago I was changing out all of the Athearn wheels with NWSL NS wheels and replacing any plastic wheels with Kadee, and now Intermountain and other suppliers. The only real problem I had was with an old Riverossi observation car which was painted for the Northern Pacific. The trucks would not accept any of the metal wheels on the market and the screwed up way that the trucks mounted to the car would have taken major surgery to replace the trucks. A little bit of Polish engineering with the side of a Dremmel cut off wheel worked well enough to get the flanges to ru on the code 70 rail.

So far I can run any diesels through some of the #4 turnouts I use in industrial areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back