Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin, I consider every week I didn't have to kill somebody because they pissed me off to be a win...

Good Morning All. 47°, clear and sunny. Spring is definitely here as the frogs have been croaking since Tuesday, that's always a sure sign. Spent a little time with the hoe in the garden yesterday, breaking up the crusted soil surface around the onions, garlic and salad greens. I spent a lot of time cutting and trimming some of the branches that fell last week from the ice storm.
Moving on to the train shed, I finished up the City Classics kit of "South Side Salon". Here's a few pictures, the first two are before I added the sidewalk and figures and the third is after.
03-03-18 002.JPG03-03-18 006.JPG
03-03-18 008.JPG
Kit comes without the sidewalk so I make my own from Evergreen Styrene. Ran some trains including a through freight with three 79' TOFC cars and nine 89' autoracks to test track clearances on curves. All of my main line curves are between 30" and 32" radius which are suitable for these lengthy cars, but I had never run them with other trains parked on the inner passing sidings. All is well!

Sam - I've been known to raise a ruckus or two in my days.
Sherrel - Wife is OK because I haven't related the most recent numbers. She knows that I moved some funds back into equities, but hasn't asked yet. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie. I wouldn't have moved out a few weeks back if she hadn't insisted to begin with. Fact is that I am still about 1.8% ahead since January 1.
Ken (D&J) - Weather sounds serious, stay safe and stay off that Harley for a day or so.
Curt - Wooden yardstick is indispensable to me. Mine is so old that it was a freebie from the days that lumberyards still did that. It is from the now defunct Payless Cashways Lumber Co.
Terry - I see that the old proverb has returned!

Everyone have a great weekend.

Willie

My mother-in-law & wife have a saying: "A number of people should Thank God they are still walking around & breathing because we are Christians."

Good morning, Everybody !

Joe .... I Like your photo of the Rarity cabin car. I bet that is a state park worth going to.

Terry .... Good to hear wisdom prevailed regarding not moving a trailer in 60 MPH wind.

Willie .... Your salon looks fabulous.

Justin.... LOL...... Rough week ?

Phil .... Good to see you here. .... Thanks for sharing words of wisdom from your wife and mother-in-law.

Terry - good to see that natural intelligence prevailed!

Joe - hope you get your RRRR boxcars today. There is one type of car I'd love to add to my roster, that has nothing to do with my modeled road: A B&M box car with a solid black right half-side body panel covered by a huge B&M logo. I climbed all over one of those parked on a spur at a tire store when I was 13, and thought it was the "coolest thing ever" at the time! I've seen them on ebay, but the sellers always want more than I'm willing to pay.

Willie - great looking saloon!

Still having sustained winds of ~20mph with gusts to 45mph. My roof lost a few shingles from the nor'easter, but we got our power back after a 5-hour outage. SWMBO claims perishable foods can survive at "room temp" for 3 hours, and nobody opened any refrigerator doors, so we didn't need to discard any of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry: The park could use a little maintenance, especially on the trails. The trail over what used to be the Freehold Secondary east of Farmingdale, is the best one. There is also a partially restored Village that was a Colonial Era Iron Works and Company Village. The railroad is a Narrow gauge line which was relocated from another place in NJ. They use an old Army 25 ton loco for the tourist train that runs a loop between trails. Have some other Museum pieces.

Willie: Great job on the Salon. Lots of styling business. :)

When I first came to Jersey, Browns Yardmaster Harry Wilde, (a former PRR/PC guy), couldn't say enough in praise of the former Raritan River employees work ethic, vs that of the PRR/PC and CNJ people that worked there. To me the Raritan River was a somewhat run down, shortline, and I would sarcastically refer to it as the "Sacred" Raritan River railroad. However, over the years, the Raritan River grew on me.

Joe - hope you get your RRRR boxcars today. There is one type of car I'd love to add to my roster, that has nothing to do with my modeled road: A B&M box car with a solid black right half-side body panel covered by a huge B&M logo. I climbed all over one of those parked on a spur at a tire store when I was 13, and thought it was the "coolest thing ever" at the time! I've seen them on ebay, but the sellers always want more than I'm willing to pay.

Ken: Had I paid for UPS, I would have had them already, but I cheaped out with USPS delivery. :mad: I understand what you mean about the B&M Boxcar, the one you are looking for is cool. Incidentally, if you keep your fridge 'n freezer closed during an outage, the fridge is supposedly good for about 8 hours, the freezer for about 24. Since Sandy, the PSC has been on the Electric Utilities case about line maintenance, and outages are down. Tree trimming along pole lines does make a big difference.

keN- Give me a bit of time while I check my B&M cars (17 of them) I think I have one you're looking for .

Phil back soon.

We have a BINGO in the garage. BEV-BEL/COLLECTORS CORNER -Athearn car. Road number- 76070 LIKE NEW in box. Blt 3-57.
Will trade for or sell. Have not run it in years if at all.Wait one, may have another just like it.

Phil

If you have another Boston & Maine you want to get rid of, I would be interested. Need more east coast road names.

I was informed last night that I will be bowling in a doubles tournament today, 2 shifts. No trains today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Terry - good to see that natural intelligence prevailed!

Willie - great looking saloon!

Still having sustained winds of ~20mph with gusts to 45mph. My roof lost a few shingles from the nor'easter, but we got our power back after a 5-hour outage. SWMBO claims perishable foods can survive at "room temp" for 3 hours, and nobody opened any refrigerator doors, so we didn't need to discard any of it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KADEE-5286...354079?hash=item52055dd65f:g:5ycAAOSwAWlafdd9

Good morning,,,,oooops, that's afternoon now gang!

Been to the bank this morning, rearranging and consolidating accounts without you know who's name on them. , then schlepped firewood and cleared the leaf build up from the back of the house. I was going to play pick up sticks with all the branches in the yard, but the tractor wont start.....oh well, maybe tomorrow. Son #2 and pup are due here soon anyway, plus the GF will be here soon too.

Taking her to M.B.Klein's later, let's see if she faints or runs! :rolleyes::cool:;)

We have a BINGO in the garage. BEV-BEL/COLLECTORS CORNER -Athearn car. Road number- 76070 LIKE NEW in box. Blt 3-57.
Will trade for or sell. Have not run it in years if at all.Wait one, may have another just like it.

Phil

Phil - I'm interested! Will send a PM...

Willie: Really nice Salon. Might I suggest a bench with a couple of men sitting forlornly waiting for their women to emerge. At least that is what I do when the wife drags me someplace. Now if you put the Salon next to the Saloon they would have someplace to hangout. Might have some confused customers in both establishments though.

Ken in MD- Phil asked me to post for him (modem down). He has 2 of the B&M cars you are looking for. If you're interested his phone number is 352-430-7243.

Afternoon All,

Raked up 12 yard bags of oak leaves today which makes a total of 20 bags so far. I figure I will have one more raking to do this year. I got the wood to level the freight house area and I will probably do that tomorrow.

Greg- LOL. I am using them as shims not for measurements.

Joe- Can you walk through the caboose or is it used as a shed?

Terry- Common sense broke out.

Willie- Awesome job on the build.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Lost power at the house yesterday afternoon. Real loud wind. I'm on a well system so without electricity, I have no running water. Took a quick semi shower this morning with a water bottle. Went to the club layout this morning then stopped at my daughter's house to do some house repairs for her. I'll meet with some friends this evening for dinner then back to a dark house. Estimate time for power here is Monday afternoon.

Ken: We are also on a well system. It drove my wife nuts when the power went out, and it did on a regular basis. I could live through it but she was nothing but gripe, gripe, gripe. She would find a friend/relative to stay with until it came back on if it was an extended outage. Ended up getting a whole house genset and I love it. Sit in the dark for a couple of seconds and wait for the lights to come back on. Best investment I ever made for the homestead.

Good afternoon. Finally back from bowling. Kicked butt and with a new ball to top things off.

Glad the storm moved off the coast. Caused a lot of damage in some places. We do have a backi up generator which can really come in handy.

Curt
- I am glad that I don't have to bother raking leaves. With the occasional hig winds we get, mine are probably two counties away.

Karl -
Good luck with the GF. Hopefully she will get to like trains.

Terry
- Thanks for the tip on the Kadee car. For $29 it is worth it. I do need more eastern railroads represented on my layout.

The arm is sore and if I don't feed our little doxie, she'll go into melt down.

Later

Apparently I do not possess the necessary skills to solder my feeders and buss wires. My struggles are real tonight.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back