Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. 44° and raining. Supposed to be quite nasty tomorrow. We got mostly everything pressing done today, including a full tank of gas in the truck.

Woman in front of me at Sheetz: Can I have a quarter strength, decaf, soy cappuccino, with less foam, no chocolate dusting, two marshmallows on the side, six sugars, and can I have it heated to eighty degrees, please?

Wonder how she would make out at QuikCheck? Almost everything including checkout is self serve. That would be the ultimate battle, a convenience store run by Artificial Intelligence and a customer with no apparent intelligence. :rolleyes:

Investors don't like tariffs, and the President talked about that today. Tariffs are not a free market solution to any problem. Protective tariffs played a role in causing the Great Depression of the 1930's.

Tomorrow, may well be a good day for bargain hunting on Wall Street. Selloff is too broad to be a reaction to Tariffs. Yesterday's excuse for a bigger drop was higher interest rates...bankers don't like paying for the money they use to make money either...Bonds that tanked yesterday, rallied today. Tomorrows excuse might be???

The 2007-2014 great Recession, which was actually much worse economically than the Great Depression, was caused in part by Free Trade, and abnormally low interest rates. Since we are still working through the effects of this recession, the theory has not made it into Economics Text Books, and still affects markets.
Free Trade is a two way street. The proposed tariffs are in response to dumping, which is not exactly in the spirit of free trade.

Well we went to 3 grocery stores today (sales) then met a friend for lunch at a local cheese steak shop and then came home. Still have to go to Wally World tomorrow before I get my haircut.

Curt: We only did the ATM, and ShopRite today, plus gas for the Truck. The rest can wait for next week, including my haircut. You mentioned Cheese steak, and caused me to drool. Have to take a ride and get one, it's been too long.

Have a good evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coffee people,,,,,jeez Just give me a 24 oz Royal Farms colombian with a little sweetener.

if I ever get like this, shoot me!

[video]https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wZAK/sling-picky-with-your-coffee-featuring-danny-trejo[/video]

Tomorrow, may well be a good day for bargain hunting on Wall Street. Selloff is too broad to be a reaction to Tariffs. Yesterday's excuse for a bigger drop was higher interest rates...bankers don't like paying for the money they use to make money either...Bonds that tanked yesterday, rallied today. Tomorrows excuse might be???

The 2007-2014 great Recession, which was actually much worse economically than the Great Depression, was caused in part by Free Trade, and abnormally low interest rates. Since we are still working through the effects of this recession, the theory has not made it into Economics Text Books, and still affects markets.
Free Trade is a two way street. The proposed tariffs are in response to dumping, which is not exactly in the spirit of free trade.

Looking at sequences of economic events.

May 2003. Congress passes Tax Relief . Tax cuts for all tax payers. The next 48 months had solid economic growth . Employment improved. Incomes increased . Tax receipts increased . Deficits decreased.

May 2007 . Congress passes 40% increase to minimum wage . In following months job growth turned negative as employers became discouraged from hiring people. Worsening unemployment contributed to rising foreclosure rates. A mild recession began in December 2007.

September 2008 . Financial Crisis. Several causes including the recession. Also, Fannie and Freddie had been encouraging subprime mortgages. They fraudulently sold them to investors without properly disclosing the high risk mortgages . Investors borrowed too much money to purchase the mortgage securities from Fannie and Freddie. ( These practices had gone on for a long time. Efforts to get legislation to control Fannie and Freddie were blocked by certain politicians. ). The result was collapse of financial markets. Treasury proposed legislation for TARP which was a way to end the crisis . TARP was about half implemented. Ultimately, Treasury made a profit with it. In February 2009, the Administration’s “Stimulus” was enacted by Congress . All it accomplished was add $800 billion to the debt . In March 2009, the Federal Reserve Board implemented aggressive monetary policies with interest rates near zero and with adding trillions of dollars to the money supply. These Federal Reserve policies ended the recession in June 2009. The Fed continued propping up the economy with these monetary policies through 2016.

In 2017, the Federal Reserve Board began a very slow process to normalize monetary policies.

In December, 2017, Congress enacted tax reform .

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 48*F and drizzling, with a slight breeze.

Right now the Market is the least of my worries.

The NWS is predicting sustained winds ~30mph in my region [central MD] for a 24-hour period, with gusts up to 60mph, starting tomorrow morning. Probably will lose power. Could end up costing me a few buck$ in spoiled food and property damage before it all ends around noontime on Saturday...oh well. At least the temp is supposed to remain above freezing, so I won't need to worry about frozen water pipes. I just hope the roads leading away from my neighborhood won't all be blocked by fallen trees like they were after the Derecho of June 29, 2012.

Thanks Terry,

I kept thinking .... I know this thread is longer than 3 pages.

Always with the jokes you are...... LOL

I like percolated coffee, the drips don't do it for me. Starbucks not my cup of coffee for many reasons.

Greg

Good morning gang
41 degrees and blustery. Folks are acting surprised. Like they never heard of March winds and April showers bring May flowers.:rolleyes:

Morning all,

Clear and 30 degrees in northern Illinois. Noticed last night it was 6:00 before it got dark last night. Looks like spring is starting to take shape.

Have. Good day all!

44 and clear here

BigE, I must ask.... The Big E is that by chance a reference to the USS Enterprise? That is the nick name given to that carrier also.

migalyto I'll say spring has sprung, need to mow the yard again, last week first time for the year

Question for the coffee shop, how does one add multiplicable Quotes to a reply ?

Greg

Good morning fellers. The bipolar spring weather is in full swing here. Warm then cold. Cold start today. It's Friday! Not sure if anyone is keeping up with the news lately. The school teachers here in West Virginia have been on strike for over a week now. So the kiddies have been out of school since. Our awesome government leaders tried to just throw money at them instead of listening and fixing the real reason they are on strike. Their benefits went through the roof and well they want it fixed. Soooooo obviously it hasn't been fixed. Anyways.....it's a Chessie morning! GP35 3535. My workhorse for my previous layout and will be a staple for this one as well.
485e38f0850623ebef375ee0493ce548.jpg

Justin

Good morning y'all. 39° and raining. The predicted winds have not kicked up as of yet. Time for another coffee.

Good morning. It's 42 and very windy.
We've already briefly lost power a couple of times overnight.
I already know the answer to this, but I'm going to see if management postpones the delivery of a very large travel trailer for a customer with a less-than-capable tow vehicle scheduled for this morning. I don't think a completely inexperienced new trailer owner should be towing a brand new travel trailer in 60mph winds. We'll see if anybody else agrees with me, or if $$$ rules the day.

Good Morning Guys. 40° and sunny/clear. We'll see near 70° through Monday, then more seasonal 62° highs for a few days before returning to the 70's next weekend. Sure was nice seeing my shadow yesterday after eleven days of mostly rain. The ground should start drying up now. The grocery trip yesterday went well, spent too much overall, especially at the Vitamin Store where 5 bottles cost half as much as I spent on groceries! I should try the cat food, as that seemed to be the least expensive thing that I bought and the cats love it!
Disappointment when I finally got to the train shed yesterday. Part of the main decal (about 1/3 of it) for the Vulcan Manufacturing had come loose overnight and tangled with itself and was not able to be repaired. Of course this is one of the few Walther's kits that came without at least some duplicate decals. Discouragement set in and I moved the structure off the workbench to temporary limbo. I'll have to see if Walther's can still replace it. Meanwhile I finished the loading/unloading shed that goes with it to clear the workbench. Since I am still in the structure building mode, I started a City Classics kit, "South Side Salon" that I am going to use when I return to finish the other side of the road in the small town business district that I posted about last year. I am wanting to get back to this scenic element and get it completed.

Justin - Received your PM and I'll return one later today. Great that the power fix turned out to be as simple as it was.
Garry - Did you sustain any damage from those heavy rains? It was freezing rain here before moving east and I have many broken tree limbs, all from one tree. I have seen that drone video of those UP locos and it is rather impressive, albeit sad at the same time. Wonder what happens if they need one from the middle of the line?

Stay safe all of you who might be affected by the winds and storms in the East. Regarding the DC area, yep, wussies. At this time of year, 35-40 mph winds are not uncommon around here, it's the tornados we fear. High winds do not lead to tornados though.
Poor little snowflakes getting blown about.........wussies!
No one blows away here in Texas due to the weight of the guns that they carry!
Everybody have a great day and a great weekend.

Willie

Good morning. Looks like out weather up here is better than those of you on the east coast. Starting off at 34 degrees with cloudy skies. I go for a cup of Black coffee also.

Greg - The Coffee House has been running continuously for years. When we get up to 100 pages, an new Coffee House is started. The Big E is not for the USS Enterprise. His name is Eric.

Ken D&J - I will have to agree with Karl. Poor little snowflakes. Schools don't close very often up here. Even in extreme cold and snow, schools are open,but when the temps drop below minus 20, the school buses don't run because they don't want the kids waiting outside for the bus. It's up to the parents to get the kids to school. We really have to laugh when there are more than two snowflakes within a yard of each other, the DC area goes into a melt down and everything closes down. Up here we just deal with it. I did get drifted in a couple of weeks ago, but after digging out, off to work I went, just like many others in the area.

Justin - Nice looking GP35. I can see why you like it so much. Looks like some track work going on in the background.

Willie -
I have on a couple of occasions had a part missing or damaged and Walthers has really been good on getting replacements sent to me. Good luck.

Time for a rail photos for today.

railroad554lkghgxds.jpg

Later

Good morning everyone. Time for a cup on coffee, cream, no sugar, and a glazed doughnut (ahhh - there's the sugar). 29 and sunny here in SW MO heading for 59 this afternoon. So nice to see the sun!

A nice weekend on tap, which means less time in the train room. Got to start cleaning up the yard from the mess left by Old Man Winter. On the to-do list: leaf-raking, mole-killing, stick-picking-up, gutter cleaning, mole-killing, gutter repair, burning debris, and mole-killing. But I should get some train time in the late evenings.

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back