Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note: The firebox was increased from 63 to 84 feet, the boiler tubes from 45 to 63, and the pressure from 200 to 225 raising the T.E. to 47,800 + another 7,600 from the addition of a Franklin booster. The tender was extended an additional 8 feet and converted from coal to fuel oil.

Sounds like the steam guys were well into hot rodding their rides, too.

Good evening ....

Curt ..... Your project makes a great display model .

Sherrel .... Frsico 1062 is a very beautiful locomotive. ... I hope your wife's leg problem will be okay. I remember Chester on Gunsmoke. "Mr. DIllon. Mr.Dillon. Thar's a fight at the Longbranch!".

Johnny .... The general store looks great. .... So you want to have a name contest for your town ?

Chet .... Thanks for sharing the interesting information about the Hudson automobile you have. ... The mailbox appears to be substantial, and will probably be there for many years.

Willie .... I think your current project, the Ironworks may be a prize-winner. We won't drive to Maine because it is 1200 miles. We are flying on Delta Airlines. If we had time, a drive might be fun. I would try to schedule visits on the way with good friends here in the Coffee Shop who are on the East Coast. However, we only have a week available for this trip.

Cheers.

For Sherrel...

This in an old train related calendar .

It is too large for my scanner. So I took this photo.

8DD0A62E-248A-4CBB-92F4-227FEFBCDA2F.jpeg

Good morning. It's raining and 75.

I've made an unpleasant discovery about the Lionel stuff I recently purchased. It makes noise. Duh. The unpleasant part is, our dog is terrified of them. I've tried several times to get her acclimated to them, but I'm getting tired of cleaning up the mess from her panicking as soon as they begin moving. This may turn out to be a good idea that turned into a dismal failure.
Louis? Ya wanna buy some Lionel stuff?

Good morning everyone. 64 and sunny out there. This cool front is a great idea - - slept with the windows open - in Mid July!! Saving $$ on A/C, so I told my wife i could spend the money on train stuff - - she gave me this look - you guys probably know what I mean.

Willie, Chet, Dave, Garry, Patrick, Sherrel, and anyone I might have missed - thanks for the comments on the general store and the photo looking down through the town (and the sign).
Garry - no contest to name the town - - I have a few names in mind, just have to decide.

Had just a little time last night to work on scenery. Will post photos later, when the scenicking is more complete.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

So far no fires to put out before the hoards of municipal employees start their day. That's why I start earlier than most.

Got the bulk of the stuff planted with help from the grand son. I still have a little more to do, but should have it knocked out pretty quickly after I get home this evening. I received the part to fix my Blue Box engine, and it is now fully functional. I had about 45 minutes last night to get that and more done on the GS's railroad. I will say that following a plan with specific parts and wiring diagrams is a bit easier than freelance that I'm doing, but it has helped me figure out some of the wiring I'll need to do on mine.

I think I'll get another cup of coffee.

Good Morning Everyone. A very pleasant 68° and clear skies in the neighborhood this morning, after a high temperature of only 90° yesterday. Supposed to be in the lower 60's tomorrow at this time. Good Morning Flo, let me try a couple of breakfast burritos today, ham, egg, potato and cheese.
Today I take my wife to some cardiovascular place for some kind of pre-op test and blood matching. Tomorrow is a 3-4 hour affair beginning at the hospital and concluding at the surgeon's office for the final prep before the surgery Monday. While I don't really need to be there today, I'm going because I need a trip to Home Depot just around the corner, in addition to the moral support. Tomorrow is a different story as I have to acquaint myself with the "do's and do not's" and the at home rehab.

Thanks for the comments and likes on yesterday's progress pictures; Dave, Jerome, Johnny, Sherrel, Patrick, Chet, Garry.

Most of yesterday was spent on household tasks and yardwork. I was able to make a little bit of progress on the Ironworks. Hit a minor obstacle. There is no support for the roof on one end other than attaching it directly to the wall.

07-23-19 001.JPG

So I had to fabricate a support from some scrap .060" styrene and attach it first.
07-23-19 003.JPG

Pay no attention to the lines drawn on the wall, after measuring and plotting, the support is actually correct. This is where I am at while the Walther's Goo has a chance to set up overnight.

Johnny - Thanks for sending the cool front this way.
Chet - Thanks. I am hoping to put the structure over between the fertilizer distributor that I posted last month, and the existing flour mill that's near the farms posted last week. The flour mill still needs some additional piping and scenery so development between the fertilizer facility and farms seems likely to be the next project. Love the Impala, I learned to drive in it's cheaper sibling, a '59 Biscayne.
Patrick - Your garden project is far more than I would attempt at this time of year. Maybe spread out over a week of early mornings though.
Sherrel - Give Kate my best wishes on her leg. Shots didn't work for Arlene, thus the knee replacement, first of two.
Garry - Yea! 1200 miles isn't a one day trip by any means. It isn't flying that gives me fits, it's airports. Thanks for the comment regarding the ironworks.
Terry - Lionel stuff is very loud. My Dad's biennial Christmas display where he had eight Lionel trains running at once was too loud to hold a normal conversation in the room. Those two ZW transformers running at full power sent the electric meter spinning as well.

All of these posts about auto accidents has me spooked now!
Otherwise everybody have a great day.

Dave: Glad yours was not more than a mild scratch. It is always a royal PITA to deal with such things. I don't think its a case of the troopers CAN'T do anything, it is a case of they don't want to bother. Probably hard to make anything stick though, unless there are witnesses or video. Are you in a no-fault state?

Yes, our state is no-fault. Our deductible is high as well, the car is 6 years old although previously had not a ding or spot of rust. We won't be contacting insurance on this.

It looks like the scratches are on the surface, appear like his white paint rubbed off on our black car. I think they can be buffed out.

Good morning, 66 headed for 84. I have a bunch of stuff piled up in my office at work so hopefully can catch up some.

Patrick-- I like to get to work early to beat the chaos that sets in

Willie-- really like the new iron works building! That wall really looks thick?

Garry-- super nice old calendar.

Hope to work on some structures this week, also assemble a stock car and caboose. Will have to set some priorities, am going to try to get to the train show in a few weeks:

train show.PNG

This is Rutabaga days! Plan on taking my Wyoming and Groningen modules to display, do not think I have any more train stuff to sell.

more later, Dave

Good morning fellers. I do hope everyone is doing well. Nothing new to report on here. Survived the extreme heat we had over the weekend. Now a good cool down for a few days then the heats back on. I've never been a big fan of summer anyways. I'll leave off with some photos for yall to enjoy.
18co3791-6060-4826-6138ebcoaltrainmainlinefordsbranch-asf.jpg
co-h-8-1654-pushing-eb-coal-drag-up-alleghany-mountain-at-white-sulphur-springs-wv-jun-1951-g-...jpg
4058.1411437063.jpg

Give Kate my best wishes on her leg. Shots didn't work for Arlene, thus the knee replacement, first of two.

Thanks, Willie: I am following your example closely on the knee replacement.
I think that "iron works" is an excellent structure - one of the better ones - and not seen too often.

I've made an unpleasant discovery about the Lionel stuff I recently purchased. It makes noise.
Lionel stuff is very loud.

Gentlemen: So are 1:1 scale trains. DUH!

Garry - safe travels. Thanks for the pic of the poster - that's cool.

Supposed to be 95* today with P/C skies - actually looked as if it may conjure up a thunder shower yesterday, but only teased us. Yesterday was 93*, last year was 103*, and record of 105* in 2006.

IB Ken is headed for his doctor appointment and his A/C is only blowing warm air. A repair person is supposed to come today ... (notice folks that I did not say repairman - California gender rules - LOL.)

More coffee is needed!

Good afternoon. Past time for lunch. 93F at 1:30pm

So the insurance company declared it a total loss. The adjuster thought that might be the case, so no surprise. Their 3rd party valuation company gave them their report this morning and I just got done talking with the adjuster. Their 3rd party company was way low on value estimation ($8k or so in my estimation). They had only found 2 "comparables" which were not comparable as they were different level trims, options, etc. The adjuster told me one of the cars used as c comparable, which the local Volvo dealer has on their lot, so I was able to look it up. Wrong trim, totally cheaper car.

KBB.com estimates our car, in excellent condition (which it was), with the miles we had, at $28k to a little over $30k private party). KBB.com estimates this one that they used for a comparable (dealer listed at $20997) at $20k-$21650, also using the Excellent Condition range, which is right where the dealer listed it for sale. So I told the adjuster that they need to be in the KBB.com range, which is pretty accurate based on all the data they crunch. He is going to go back to their 3rd party valuation firm and have them try again. I found two similar vehicles to what we had, albeit with fewer miles, but same trim, and it appears the same options packages, on the East Coast (CT and VA), and they were asking $28k and $29k for them. In order to be able to approximately be made whole with the same vehicle (even then they are not the same -- we had ordered this and picked it up in Sweden so it has wheels and other things about it not available through normal dealer sold cars) I would have to pay $28k--$29k plus ship it, which is in the KBB.com range.

We'll see what they come up with.

Bummer, CHAD, I guess I am just too old school. For that kind of money, I cannot believe that they cannot put it back together, unless the frame is "jacked".
My wife "bumped" the backend of a rather large truck on the freeway a couple years back and the repair estimate was within $800 of totaling out and they had no issue with fixing it. I was glad because there was no way that I wanted a $7600 loss payment and then try to pay for a 20-30K car to replace it with.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....sunny and temperatures in the upper 70's.

Well that tick bite proved to be more serious than I wanted to believe as stubborn as I am. Last Friday night I spend hours in the Wild Rose Hospital ER being treated for a tick caused disease. A short version, they did a bunch of blood tests, a IV with an antibiotic, gave me an oral antibiotic and meds to take home and use for 28 days. The medical staff believed I have contracted ehrlichiosis from the the tick bite. The worst problem from this bite is death if untreated. I slept all Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night.

They entire problem came to a head when I couldn't climb into my truck to drive home from a restaurant on Friday nite. I had lost my appetite for several days prior, was weak, and had many other symptoms of ehrlichiosis. I didn't even want a cocktail!!!

I'm feeling much improved, but still feel weak and need to use a cane to walk. I'll need blood tests over the next few weeks and just slowly increase my overall strength. The anitbiotics are strong and are having a positive effect and seem to be killing the bacteria that caused my problems.

I didn't think I would be back on the Forum for awhile, but here I am.

Tomorrow, I want to try walking down the basement stairs and go to the train room. Maybe I'll have something to report.

Until next time..............

Greg

####################

IMG_0357 (1).JPG
The structure on the far right is the local pool hall, barber shop, tobacco shop and upstairs a house of "Ill Fame". -Greg

Good afternoon/evening fellas. Did a day trip outing with MOH out to Altoona(suburb of Eau Claire) to see the Big Boy 4014. UP opened the railroad museum car for public viewing, but we did not take advantage of the opportunity. The area was a zoo. The line was way too long for me to be able to stand. In addition to the line was the fact that the car is not ADA-compliant; stepping up into the car would have been too difficult for me. We did, however, take plenty of pictures & MOH took some real good video.

9D94092D-296F-4AA8-8DFB-679DD7EE45B1.jpeg
CF6FE4D0-730B-4E93-B7BD-8E887BD47B54.jpeg

Last edited:
Haven't been in as not up to snuff. BIG problem with sil. Wont go into it. But will say , he should be UNDER a jail.
T/S hit at 3:45 today. Temp. 91, humidity 80%.
Wish all pleasant dreams. Prayers.
Phil

LOVE IS HOW EXCITED YOUR DOG GETS WHEN YOU GET HOME

Good evening .

Glad everybody liked seeing the Frisco item I posted for Sherrel.

Terry ..... Funny your dog does not like the Lionel train. Our cats like it when we run our Lionel train around the Christmas tree.

Louis .... The B&O loco is remarkable. .

WIllie ... Good to see further progress. Good solution to a problem regarding roof support.

Justin .... That's a nice series of photos you posted.

Greg ..... I'm very sorry to hear about your infection, and I pray you fully recover very soon.

Mike ..... Big Boy 4014 attracted a big crowd in your photos. When I saw it in Utah in May, there were big crowds there, too.

Phil .... Sorry to hear there isa problem with "SIL" .

Everybody, Have a nice night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back