Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 64° and clear skies here this morning. There's moisture all over the ground here, I believe it's called a dew! Haven't seen that since May. Cool front has been great, only got up to 87° yesterday. It's too bad that I have had other stuff to do and haven't been able to do any outdoor chores while it's so nice. OK, Francine, waffles and sausage over here for me this morning.
The day long ordeal with the hospital and various doctors actually went well for the most part. First I will admit that I do not like hospitals at all, but this place wasn't too bad. We had a "greeter" who did the pre-admitting for my wife, then a series of nurses did the EKG, blood work, chest x-ray, and nose swab. Spent an hour going over the do's and don't's prior to the surgery, talked with the anesthesiologist for a bit, and got some soap and ointments to use. Then we went to the surgeon's office where he and his staff went over a couple of things. He warned my wife that he would call off the surgery if she didn't get her BP in line (it was OK at home before we left). So we made an unscheduled visit to the cardiologist to have additional meds prescribed, actually increased dosages of one she already takes and a booster one to take for a few days beforehand.
Afterward, we went to purchase a new mattress. Wife wanted my opinion but didn't listen anyway. The young salesman wanted to sell us an extended warranty (on top of the original warranty of 20 years), and I pointed out that in twenty years we'd both be near 90 years old and probably wouldn't notice any difference anyway. Brings up the question of how do you extend a mattress warranty anyway?
Today it's the weekly provisions run early. Mattress delivery late this afternoon. Sometime today, Fedex is supposed to deliver a shredder/chipper as well.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the older industries pictures on the layout; Dave, Jerome, Patrick, Sherrel.

I did get out into the train shed yesterday and made a bit more progress on the Ironworks. All of the roofs are on, many of the vents are in, loading dock is installed and the catwalk has been test-fitted.
07-25-19 006.JPG

07-25-19 005.JPG

Hopefully today, I can get the catwalk painted, some additional roof vents and chimney installed and start on the weathering.

Greg -
Willie: How many buildings do you have on your layout?
I estimate about 380. Continued best wishes on the tick bite recovery.
Beady - I wish you the best with the parental issues. Sounds like your hands are full. The cats may be an easier one to resolve.
Terry - I have found that walking away is the best path to successful completion of many tasks. Otherwise I screw it up further.

Lots of "foodie" days being commemorated today. It's National Chili Dog Day, National Hot Fudge Sundae Day, and finally National Wine and Cheese Day. Take your pick. It's also National Hire a Veteran Day, a rather nice day to observe.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 73.
I walked away from what should have been a simple decoder swap last night, after a couple of parts fell of the engine and I lost a coupler cover. I'll try again tonight.
Loosing flimsy bits and things like coupler covers is my bane. It is so extra easy to catch something with your finger nail or even just the skin brushing against it. The Scale Trains Gevo lost one of the sanding pipes at the very last moment of working on it, never to be found. And that's what I've so far noticed.

Howdy ...

Not much time for me to post with the trip coming up. ....

Willie ..... Your building looks fantastic.

have a great day, everybody .

He warned my wife that he would call off the surgery if she didn't get her BP in line (it was OK at home before we left)
My wife is known as a "white coat". Even when she just goes to her GP to get her Med's renewed, The Doctor (female) puts the compression band on her arm and just talks with her for awhile until her pulse slows down.

Morning all,

Not much new on the train side. Did add a bit more to the grandson's rails.

Willie: Thanks for the info on National Chili Dog. We had them last night...

Supposed to be sunny and high of 90 in Doo-Dah today.

Brings up the question of how do you extend a mattress warranty anyway?

Willie:

Or for that matter the many, many things on which they offer an extended warranty?

The Pre-surgical work-up sounds like it went well. Reminds me of the MIL's prior to her hip surgery. Best wishes to your wife.

The Iron Works is really coming along nicely. Looks like all the cast detail parts fit well.

Monday evening, we lost power due to a freak storm, that came across Jersey finally getting our power back nearly 24 hours later. Our Cleveland Ohio Based provider, First Energy, showed little interest in correcting the damage, when I called them the following morning asking for a status update, the customer service agent claimed my call was their first report, although they automatically matched my phone number to my account and address. Ultimately, the Police Chief - (a), angry that the Police Facility was dark, and (b), angry that the Township Manager was totally ineffective - was able to attract media attention, and ultimately a visit from the Governor. Suddenly, within three hours, Power Company trucks suddenly started appearing, followed by contractors. and by evening half the town's power was restored. Got the impression that our Top Cop is a Marine. Don't know for sure, but he took charge and made things happen in what was otherwise a vacuum of authority in our Township during a crisis.

Meanwhile, First Energy claims they were never notified of the severity of the power outage, by the proper authority... Like they couldn't tell that 200,000 customers statewide were without power? Who was their Load Dispatcher, Homer Simpson?

Our elected officials are Part Time, which is why we employ a full time Township Manager. This person and his big new contract dropped the ball big time.

For over ten years, our town was run by political independents, all local business people, who ran the town like a business. The town ran well, and much of the previous BS one had to contend with when interacting was absent. More recently other" interests have come into play, and things aren't as well run as before.

Post script. This was for many the first major power outage since Sandy, seven years ago...While I declined to buy a generator in the aftermath, some did, and never used them. now, they wouldn't start....:rolleyes:.

Personally, I would by a generator that works off of Natural Gas, and kicks on automatically. Seamless and quiet. Not everyone around here has Natural Gas though.

Boris

Gonna be another hot one today! 101* yesterday - same today - last year was 101* - record of 101* in 2018.
With the lack of moisture in the air, 100 degrees plus is pretty intense heat from the sun out here.

Took the G-Kids to the beach in Oceanside yesterday. I was quite surprised that it was not as crowded as I had anticipated.
Water temp was only 69 degrees - ain't no way this body is getting in that water -kids didn't seem to mine!
I told them that they were not to bring any of their electronics with them ... I found out that they can actually carry on somewhat of a coherent conversation although I had to ask them several times to slow down the words and sometimes speak a little more loud.
I really need to get "aids", but I just am balking - I hate wearing something sticking in my ear.

BEADY - Your predicament is quite trying. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say, with some of it being quite funny!
I guess that I was very lucky that both my parents went pretty suddenly. Dad was instant; he just lay down for a nap in the afternoon and did not wake up ... Mom had a stroke and went about 12 hours later in the hospital.
OAN - One of my cousin's mom had a stroke and lay bedridden for 7 years ... not what I would have wanted for anyone!

WILLIE - Hope everything goes to plan with the spouse. Mine just left to go to see her doctor who is supposed to give her a shot and we hope that it will get her down the road a little more, but I know that it;s coming, maybe for both knees.
I am continually impressed with that "Iron Works" - just a neat all around structure.

Gotts go - people are stirring!

Many new generators are dual-fuel. That is, they can run on gasoline or LP.
If you don’t use a generator often, getting an LP conversion kit may be a good idea for it. No gummed up carbs, no ethanol corroding fittings and hoses, and simply find a tank off your bbq grill, connect, pull the cord, and you have power.

Took 3 pics, of photos on a restaurant wall last night. No data with any of them so where,when & who is unknown.
Thought those of you modelling logging might enjoy.
this post coming from my first usage of a laptop. Had to go get a mouse, cause a track thing is beyond my capabilities.
guess I should include the pics
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Shop Dwellers! 84*F, sunny and calm here in central MD.

Looks like you guys will be stuck with me indefinitely! My surgeon told me during the follow-up visit Tuesday morning, that the pathology lab found no traces of cancer in the lymph nodes near the [now-extracted] prostate - the tumor was still totally contained. IOW, no chemo necessary - all I have to do now is finish recovering from the trauma of surgery [usually ~30 days, today is day #10].

Many thanks to Sherrell for keeping all of you informed during my medically-imposed absence!

[BTW the A/C was back up and running by Tuesday afternoon.]

Can't spend much time on here since it is still highly uncomfortable sitting in front of the 'puter. I finally read thru the posts here since my last one on July 14, and I do appreciate the well-wishes! I don't have time for more than a "like" on every one of them...except:

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear about your getting hit with Lyme disease! One of my wife's childhood friends got infected with it in the 1960's before the medical community had identified it, and it left her with all kinds of debilitating health problems. Hopefully they caught yours early enough, seems like they did..[?]

Ciao

If you don’t use a generator often, getting an LP conversion kit may be a good idea for it. No gummed up carbs, no ethanol corroding fittings and hoses, and simply find a tank off your bbq grill, connect, pull the cord, and you have power.
That's fantastic. It's even easier when it T's off the gas line, my side of the meter, and only kicks in when needed without human intervention.

After Sandy, I had this conversation with my Primary Care Physician, he went ahead and installed one at his Rumson residence, and one at his offices.
I balked at the 8k cost of the gas generator in 2012. Haven't needed one since, until this past Tuesday. Ironically, on Tuesday, his office was the only place of business open in the town, and of course, his home life wasn't interrupted OTOH, I was back up within 24 hours, and this time didn't lose any food or have to deal snow and sub freezing temperature. So I saved 8k and that ain't bad either.

Boris

Hello Shop Dwellers! 84*F, sunny and calm here in central MD.

Looks like you guys will be stuck with me indefinitely! My surgeon told me during the follow-up visit Tuesday morning, that the pathology lab found no traces of cancer in the lymph nodes near the [now-extracted] prostate - the tumor was still totally contained. IOW, no chemo necessary - all I have to do now is finish recovering from the trauma of surgery [usually ~30 days, today is day #10] .Ciao

Ken:

Fantastic news, that all the cancer was removed. Now get well soon!

Boris

Tied a record today. High of only 80* for JULY. Previous low high was in 1949.
Instead of H&H [heat and humidity], we were W&W [wet and warm. More of the same tomorrow but higher temps.
Wish all a goodnight. Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

I FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DRINK. WHEN THEY WAKE UP IN THE MORNING, THAT'S AS GOOD AS THEY'RE GOING TO FEEL ALL DAY."
WINSTON CHURCHILL.

Howdy ....

IB Ken .... I'm very pleased to hear your good news. ....

Getting packed..... Delta flight leaves Nashville early Saturday for Boston. We are renting a vehicle t drive from there. Most of our time will be in Maine. One day, however, we will go to NH and ride on the Cog Railway up Mt. Washington. Should be fun.

Cheers.

Morning all,

I left work earlier to go and get a crown replaced. Nothing like being basically laid head upside down for nearly 2 1/2 hours. Temporary is in so now the fun part of being careful for the next 2 weeks until the permanent one gets in.
My wife and I took her sister out for dinner last night. Wife was worried as this was the first wedding anniversary she had since her husband passed in October. Would have been their 32nd. She recommended a little Mexican place in the mid-town area of Doo-Dah. I thought it was pretty good. Wife thought it was a little expensive, but anytime you can eat out and have the bill under $10 a person isn't a bad thing anymore. Would have almost spent that a famous quick serve burger joint that some clown is always advertising for.

My goal if I can get too it is to finish the grandson's rails this weekend. It may not get completely wired, but once his is done, I can get back to mine.

Good Friday Morning All. 65° and clear here. We'll get another night of open window sleeping weather again tonight, and then temperatures get back to nearly normal. High yesterday was only 87° and it may barely reach 90° today. This has been the coolest July (from the beginning) that I can remember in quite a long time, in fact it was 2004 according to the NOAA. We've been a full 10° below normal all week and it hasn't (and isn't expected) to reach 100° all month long. For the record, tomorrow is historically the hottest day of our year. Downer - A skunk visited the neighborhood last night which required closing the bedroom window for about two hours.
I'm over here in the corner Flo, I'll take bacon and over-easy eggs today.

Thanks for the compliments and likes regarding the nearing completion of the Ironworks; Garry, Patrick, Jerome, Joe Sherrel, Phil, Justin, Ken.

Full day yesterday. FedEx delivered my new yard toy while I was on the grocery/beer trek, I wasted no time assembling it.
07-26-19 001.JPG

An electric branch/brush shredder/chipper. Let's see how long it takes to consume this 8' high pile of brush that I have accumulated. I did test it for a few minutes yesterday, but then other stuff started happening.
07-26-19 002.JPG

Takes branches up to 1.5" diameter and that applies to everything in that pile. I expect it to take a couple of months as I am not in a hurry. I just decided that burning it once a year is no longer an option as the amount of prunings/trimmings seems to be increasing. Sure the bonfire was exciting over the years, even drawing the local VFD out a few times (I always called them ahead of time to give them a heads-up), but they never had an issue and always let it burn-out.
Next up was the delivery of the new mattress. Two very professional gentlemen installed it and removed the old one in about 15 minutes, as I kinda expected. Gave me an opportunity to refresh my Spanish skills with them. Then daughter #2 and the two grandsons showed up with the granddog for another dogsitting adventure. They're going to my SIL's parents in South Jersey for a week or so. Joe, they're somewhere near Cherry Hill Township, you may know the area.

I did get some time in the train shed, very little though. Painted some detail parts and installed the last ventilators and chimney on the roof of the Ironworks.
07-26-19 004.JPG

I'll start the weathering today. I have been fooling around with it's exact location and haven't come up with an optimal orientation yet. It will fit on either side of the road, but I need to consider other stuff around it. Due to it's location on the peninsula, it will have all four sides visible regardless of how I position it.

Joe - I don't buy extended warranties for anything. To me they're total ripoffs.
I have considered a generator a few times before. We lose power a few times every year, but it's normally back on in less than four hours, with 12 hours being the most one time only. They had to wait until daylight to install a new pole that time. Never lost any food or anything else. Since I heat with wood and the stove operates on my own propane tank, I can weather things pretty well. The key here is to move some beer and ice into the cooler ASAP. If A/C is an issue, I get into the pool!
Sherrel - I felt the same way about hearing aids before I got them. But they turned out to be one of the best purchases that I ever made. After more than ten years of peaceful quiet bliss, I could actually hear again. Most folks cannot see them without it being brought to their attention, so vanity should not be a consideration. They were no longer uncomfortable after about 2-3 weeks. I actually have to check to see if they are in when I am not around people!
Ken - Great news. I don't mind being stuck with you, matter of fact, I missed you during your recent absence. You are one of the few that I know who actually has operating sessions.

An Observation - I have been exposed to more health care professionals in the last 18 months, both as a patient and an observer, than I have been exposed to in 65 years. Aside from the doctors themselves, 90% of them seem overweight!:confused: I would have expected otherwise!

Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend if we don't see you tomorrow.

Good morning, and Happy Friday! Another lovely summer day in "Paradise". Overnight was pleasantly cool, in the lower 60s, while the weather promos for the eleven o'clock news threatened "Record breaking Cold". I can't help myself, but be cynical about this stuff. :rolleyes:

One last on warranties, yesterday while watching 1980s era crime re-runs on Re-Run TV, they went into a commercial break, where four separate pitches for warranties were made. These commercials now exceed, in frequency, Reverse Mortage solicitations, Walk in tubs, gold bullion sales pitches, Medicare Advantage Plan solicitations, and closely trail pitches from Trial Lawyers....:rolleyes:

Willie: The Ironworks is looking good,

An Observation - I have been exposed to more health care professionals in the last 18 months, both as a patient and an observer, than I have been exposed to in 65 years. Aside from the doctors themselves, 90% of them seem overweight!:confused: I would have expected otherwise!

Willie
, my Primary isn't that heavy, and the Rheumatologist and Cardiologist, are in great physical shape. However, most of the other providers I have encountered in my lifespan were over weight, some quite obese. :rolleyes:.

Almost finished with a Walthers rooftop water tower for my City Classics, Smallwood St. Whse. I don't know, to me it looks proportionately larger than it should for the Smallwood st. bldg, even when applying the 3" and 5' rules. Well if it doesn't work, there will be other structures in need of a fire suppression system.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back