Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARGGGG ! meant to post this - forgot .. an't a train, but nice photo anyway?
Setting up a seismic machine, Apollo 11.

1563724039234.png

Hot and Humid just like yesterday and the days before. And like the coming week. 92* might hit 94 before the rains[T/S] start. How does that song go ? Oh yeah- IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME, etc.
KEN- Hope you're feeling better.
TERRY-Thoughts for your wife
Prayers for all of us.
Phil

WHEN WOMEN GET TO A CERTAIN AGE THEY START ACCUMULATING CATS. THIS IS KNOWN AS THE 'MANY PAWS'.

Thing is, Willie -- I don't remember seeing that many buildings between you and the New Mexico border? LOL ..
Sherrel: The thing is that no matter how long Willie has lived in the land of the Honkey Tonk, he's still a New Yawker at heart, and feels exposed unless around crowded buildings, real or model.
Chad: Thankful, no one was injured, hope the claims process is favorable.
Willie: The ironworks looks real nice.
Not 4 nothing, it's 99° out side right now, and the neighborhood is extremely quiet.
Badenov33

Afternoon All,

Yesterday turned out to be a pain in the butt, between all the errands and my wife's car battery dying we didn't get home until 7:30 pm. I wasn't surprised about the battery since it was 5.5 years old. I put my shelf on the wall and put a level on it to make sure it was...level:). I also ordered a display case from Amazon today. I liked the ones that Micromark advertises but they have none and don't know when they will. Tomorrow the grandkids and a friend are spending the night because their Mom's have a early appointment on Tuesday.

Justin- Good to see you checking in.

Chet- Nice looking car. It has personality instead of the current crop of shoe box's.

Chadbag- I'm glad you're wife is OK.

Willie- That's going to be a really nice building.

Obviously not the final product, but you get the idea.

20190721_141137-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

We were in Nashville last evening during a thunderstorm.... that was when Southwest Airlines had two planes bump into each other at Nashville Airport as they were backing into the tarmac from the gate. It made the news. I thought they had workers on the ground to watch out for such thing as.

The thing is that no matter how long Willie has lived in the land of the Honkey Tonk, he's still a New Yawker at heart, and feels exposed unless around crowded buildings, real or model.

JOE -- That's downright funny -- and probably true!

You do know the bubble should be in the middle of the lines.....? Oh wait, no level on the camera.

Better question -- Why is the barrel bent? Does it shoot around corners?

Just talked to IB Ken -- he is at his daughters house. His A/C quit working. Not sure when he will make it back home, but he has appointment Tuesday fr checkup and catheter removal - hopefully if things are progressing as planned.

Garry -- Supposed to be "wing walkers" each wing - someone missed signals, or not paying attention!

Weather folks had it right. T/S came in by 4 ppm with heavy rain. About 2 hours till it all quit. Should be a quite night and then tomorrow afternoon start all over again. We are in our summer pattern.
Pleasant dreams, y'all
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

Good morning everyone. 71 and raining out there. Nice cool-down for this week, highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s. A bit of a relief from the summer heat.

Chad - Glad your wife unit is okay. Waiting to hear what the insurance says.
Willie - Nice photos as always. Some of your posts are like tutorials. Thanks for the tips on how you mixed that mortar.

Had some serious time in the train room over the weekend. God some landscaping glued in place and made some progress on some structures. Here are a couple of photos:

Al's General Store is a structure I bought at a train show a year ago or so, but I've wanted to improve it. So I changed some of the advertising signs and added some people. I am thinking of changing the name, too - - probably Johnny's General Store, if it will fit in the sign area.
GeneralStoreJuly2019.jpg

This is a look down the main street through the second town on the layout. This town still doesn't have a name - the folks who live there are getting angry with City Hall (me, obviously), so I've got to decide on a name soon. Al's General Store is the second building from the left.
Town2_July2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 75° and partly cloudy. Weather prognosticators are now saying that the cold front will arrive around 10:00 this morning. High today only 92° with nighttime lows dipping as low as 63° Tuesday through Thursday, and daytime highs may not hit 90° again until Friday. We call this "unseasonably cool". Dang, those blueberry pancakes were awfully good yesterday, Flo, I'll have them again this morning along with a handful of bacon.
Getting ready for my wife's knee replacement surgery next Monday. Yesterday I installed the "booster seat" on one of the toilets so she could get used to it. We already had converted over to "chair height" (17") when we remodeled the bathrooms, this adds 4" more making it easier to get on and off after the knee surgery. As wives tend to be, she couldn't make up her mind whether to install it in the "nighttime" bathroom in our bedroom, or the "daytime" bathroom, 40' closer to the couch. It's presently in back but I expect that it might move. Today I make a small alteration to the porch steps by adding a couple of 18"x 18"x 4" concrete "pavers" (probably too much but that's what she wants; I think that a couple of 2" high would work better) as the new first step. I have both sizes out back, so either is no big deal. She did try out the walker yesterday, but only to determine the back step resolution. I offered to build a ramp, but the total height from ground to top of porch is only 7" and I already have one step.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding the metal fabrication shop; Phil, Jerome, Garry, Sherrel, Justin, Joe, Curt, Tom, Johnny.

As usual, Sunday was a shortened time in the train shed. I did get all of the walls glued together and added a large "painted on" sign to one wall.
Picture is discolored as a result of the sunlight coming through the window spoiling the camera view.
07-22-19 001.JPG

Here's a better shot from a different angle, essentially yesterday's picture without all of the metal blocks.
07-22-19 002.JPG

Most of the my time was occupied with cutting the roofing strips and gluing them to the various roof components. About the only negative about all JL Innovative models is that they come with cardstock roofs. While I sometimes replace them with Evergreen styrene sheets, in this case as with some others, I am using the cardstock backed by some stiffeners. I will use "Popsicle" sticks as they are much more rigid than stripwood. I have quite a few that were left over from one of my kids school projects from 25 years ago. My resourceful daughter saw that the teacher was going to throw them out and she told her that her dad would use them.
Roofs are still in the paint booth drying.

Garry - I know that it is early, but have a good and safe trip to Maine next week. My guess is that you will be driving and not flying Southwest!
Joe - I didn't think that anyone here remembered that I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Sixty years ago we moved south and I discovered that they made homes with spaces between them, albeit only 30'!:cool: Now I feel crowded by neighbors a quarter mile away!o_O
Sherrel - Thank you very much for the continuing updates on Ken. Seems that things are progressing well, except that A/C thing. That's the main reason that I use window A/C units, if one goes out, there's others to back it up. Even in 100°+ weather, it's actually rare for us to have all three running at the same time anyway.
Johnny -
Willie - Some of your posts are like tutorials. Thanks for the tips on how you mixed that mortar.
Thank you Johnny. I do try to do that on purpose as I know that there are some "newbies" out there that I may be able to offer tips to.
I have a rather beat up model of Al's as well, that's on my "round tuit" shelf. It was one of my earliest models more than 35 years ago, and all of the signs are faded, a dirt dauber built a nest on it and it got dropped on the floor prior to the move to the new train shed. I have since learned to dull coat all signage to prevent fading. I have a location for it but haven't developed that area yet. It is a neat structure.

This morning while out walking, I saw a herd of deer crossing the road about 50 yards ahead of me. OK, five is a herd around here. It still amazes me that they can walk up to a 4' fence and just propel themselves over. They were headed to the Corps of Engineering flood control lake on the property across the road. The field that they were leaving was just combined for wheat late last month, obviously they were helping clean up the leftovers on the ground. I know that they are a nuisance to some of you, but they aren't as numerous around here.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, missed a few days and now I really feel lost! I went up north Friday after some really busy days at work, just had to get out of the city!

Chadbag-- My wife was in a traffic crash thursday I think, ironic that yours had one Friday.

Hers was just a scratch, some crazy man hit her back wheel well, drove right into her from behind! Luckily just a small dent and scratch, however the drivers here are NUTS and they love to see how close they can get to your car when they pass back and forth weaving between traffic. He drove off, my wife called the Trooper and there isn't much they can do even though she had the license plate.

Chet-- I like the new mailbox. I hope the youngsters don't mess with it. In our 18 years living on the farm ours got smashed 3 times.

Willie--Great building projects. The red owl a couple days ago is a favorite, we had one in our town growing up.

Johnny-- nice scene of your main street!!!

Chooch-- I could make a list as well. Great idea!

nothing else new. Cut down more trees and mowed some lawn at the land. Brought some HO buildings home from storage in prep for an August train show. I will be taking 2 modules. I don't think I have anything left to sell! Will be displaying a bunch of my old time train cars I have been collecting.

later, Dave

Chadbag-- My wife was in a traffic crash thursday I think, ironic that yours had one Friday.

Hers was just a scratch, some crazy man hit her back wheel well, drove right into her from behind! Luckily just a small dent and scratch, however the drivers here are NUTS and they love to see how close they can get to your car when they pass back and forth weaving between traffic. He drove off, my wife called the Trooper and there isn't much they can do even though she had the license plate.

Ours was Saturday night. I talked to the insurance adjuster who is here locally and he said he would make sure he got it inspected this afternoon since we are leaving Thursday and want to get to a good state where things can happen in the background while away. It is only 1PM and I am awaiting his call.

Dave: Glad yours was not more than a mild scratch. It is always a royal PITA to deal with such things. I don't think its a case of the troopers CAN'T do anything, it is a case of they don't want to bother. Probably hard to make anything stick though, unless there are witnesses or video. Are you in a no-fault state?

Good afternoon. In the mid 80's up here. Started mowing earlier but had my new recliner delivered and by the time I got back to mowing it was a bit warm. Got some sprinklers set in the front half of the yard and will get an early start tomorrow morning to finish the lawn.

Chad - Sorry to hear about the accident your wife had. Glad that she is alright but that SUV looks like toast. It does sound like the other guy was at fault. Just hope you have no problem with the insurance company. It could well be a total.

Willie - That is one impressive looking building you have there. Waiting to see where you put it on your layout. Sherrel, So far as the mailbox goes, we don't have any problems with vandals out here. Finally got it set out.

thumbnail_20190722_095316.jpg Talked to the mail carrier on Saturday and all I have to do is fill out a card that he gave me and leave it in the box with the flag up and I will be added to his route.

Garry - The old Hudson was sitting in the back of my cousins shop for years. I was lucky that mice didn't destroy and part of it. Actually got it running around 20 or so years ago and trailered it sown to my shop where it sat for years. I did do a valve job on it so it can run on unleaded gas. They body was dead straight but some of the chrome and stainless steel had to be worked on top get it into top shape.

Curt
- That gun is going to be an interesting display item.

Johnny - Nice photos. The signage and figures bring the market to life. Like the sign with the Camaro. I don't know if you saw the photos of my baby as I haven't posted it recently. It was over a two year project. Looks stock buy had an LS3 engine, 6 speed double overdrive transmission and many updates such as 4 wheel disc brakes and many more. My wife found the sign for me.
Sign 3.jpg
thumbnail_image003-20160414-114219825.jpg
thumbnail_image004-20160414-084751989.jpg

Later

Afternoon all,

I was out Thursday afternoon and the weekend. Wife had a colonoscopy Friday, which was negative. She's on the 5-year plan as it runs in her family.

Got the stuff for the grand son's trains and started setting up the track. Now I know why I have HO..lol Spent most of the weekend catching up on household chores. We went to a plant sale that a local nursery has every year when it's technically way too hot. So in prep of the sale I started to work through the supplies I needed to finish the new flower bed. It is a block retaining wall, which I hadn't really started yet, so I light of the heat we still had yesterday, I got the wall completed and 20 bags of topsoil I bought Saturday. After 4 hours and way too much sweat, she made me quit, but I was mostly finished. I had to go get 25 more bags of topsoil and waited until the heat quit when the front finally came through last evening. 25 degrees cooler, but not enough time to get the plants in the bed. I have 5 day-lilies to plant along with a new apple tree. They're going in when I get home later. The grand son will be there to assist as he was told he needed to work for some of his train stuff. Probably be tomorrow before I can get back downstairs.

Did they lengthen the firebox, etc to need the extra trailing axle?

RAY - Just a quick note: The firebox was increased from 63 to 84 feet, the boiler tubes from 45 to 63, and the pressure from 200 to 225 raising the T.E. to 47,800 + another 7,600 from the addition of a Franklin booster. The tender was extended an additional 8 feet and converted from coal to fuel oil.

The Spousal Unit hobbled through the door a few minutes ago home from the MIL's. I swear... she is walking stiff legged like Chester (Gunsmoke) I'm sorry - I had to laugh - she did too! Tomorrow she is supposed to see the doctor and hopefully get a shot for her knee and talk about having it repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back