Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, A Thunderbird outside the Chrysler building??? LOL
In the mid 1950s, my mother worked for the local Nash dealer. She needed a new car, and tried to buy a Nash, but the dealership didn't want anything to do with her. She went across town to the Hudson dealer, and bought a new Hudson. Every day for a year, she pulled up in front of the Nash dealership, parked in front of the main door, and went inside to work all day. At the end of that year, management caved, and took the Hudson in trade on a new Nash.

Morning All! Was 85* yesterday, the same predicted today - last year 87* - record 103* in 2010.
It's currently foggy/overcast which will give way to clear and sunny in a few hours.
Well, I picked up the "heathens" as my Ex calls them ... Although I have not seen them in a couple of years, they do not seem to have changed a great deal? However, they do seem a little better than I remember the last time - maybe there is a glimmer of sunshine peeking through ... let us hope?

I managed to converse with IB Ken yesterday afternoon. I told him that you all were following his progress closely and he proceeded to explain to me why he had not commented on the forum. His computer desk is out of his comfort zone at the moment and as he has some "medical devices" that he has to drag around with and that are not very comfortable when trying to sit at a desk ... he's just not ready to take that leap + he (like me) almost refuses to try and type on the phone.

I think it is a unique Navy load that the PRR actually carried. The company (AMB) used the Pennsy plans that the PRRT&HS provided when they produced the kit. The amazing thing is that there was 12 of these loads per battleship.

CURT - Glad the procedure was good (except the prep) and sorry for the delay - that sucks being hungry/thirsty and all.
I have always been amazed at the size of ships and their armament. It astounds me as to how they even float - and other things such as the rifling in a gun barrel such as that. Makes my head swim!

Wish they'd do that here!

Makes two of us, RAY, I would feel that I had won the lottery.

WILLIE - I think you have the market sewn up with all the buildings?

I better go and see how the remainder are fairing this morning.

Good morning. 47 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 70's again. We had left some windows open and fired up the new stove to take the chill off. I do feel bad for those who are having to put up with the high temps forecast for so much of the country. Stay cool if you can.

Sherrel - Best of luck taking care of the two grand sons. I'll have a shot of Jack for you. Thanks for the update on IB Ken. Hopefully he'll be more mobile and comfortable soon.

Curt - Glad to hear you survived the procedure. Hate those.

Justin - Glad to see you checking in. Was wondering what had happened to you.

Joe - I believe the show you saw about the battle of Jutland was on Drain the Oceans. I also saw that. Quite interesting. Years ago on a road trip we got to see two battle ships on the same trip, the USS Alabama in Mobile and the USS Texas in Houston. That have really done a great job preserving the USS Texas. We have also visited the USS Missouri a few years ago in Pearl Harbor and what a difference from the Texas to the Missouri.

Willie - You did one heck of a job on those buildings. I had considered getting the Red Owl food store, but they did not have any up here in Montana. Really nice work.

I got my mailbox stand all wire brushed down and painted yesterday and will install the mailbox on it later today. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to set it out by the road as that brake drum it is mounted on is heavier than I can handle alone.

thumbnail_20190719_145043.jpg

Has anyone noticed that gravity seems to work better as you get older ??????

Later

82F at 11:30AM. Looks clear, without having been outside yet.

Catching up with the day job so we can leave for Japan this Thursday.

Terry -- Thatis why I wold never buy a home covered by an HOA. Most HOAs that I have seen are inept, "evil", and run by busy-bodies. Each home owner should be allwed to opt-in to an HOA, and when a property sells, the new home owner should be able to say he does not want to be part of it.

Willie, on Jim's Re Owl Foods building, what are you using for the mortar?

Also, A Thunderbird outside the Chrysler building??? LOL
It's an auto parts store with a Chrysler decal in the window. Unseen are the Ford and Chevy logos on the LH side of the structure.
Re the mortar. I use a very fine brush and paint carefully! :cool: No, seriously, I use a light wash of very thinned white acrylic paint with a few drops of concrete or gray paint in it. I coat the entire wall one at a time. Once applied, I use a paper towel to dab or wipe the brick surface leaving the paint in the crevices only. It takes some practice and I always start on the wall that won't be visible. For a thinning agent, I use a mix of water and rubbing alcohol. The proportions are roughly 20:1 thinner/paint; but I mostly just eyeball it and sometimes add a drop of black paint also. I mix it in large batches in old Testor's Liquid Cement bottles thus I have a ready made applicator as well.

Hiya gang.
As you may have noticed, I've been absent of late, pondering this next post. I am posting this with a heavy heart...

As much as I love model trains, love building them, buying them, talking about them, and running them, it takes up too much of my time and I am struggling to keep up with the everyday basics such as cleaning and helping with my home, so something has to give. I will be getting rid of my collection.

Below is a list of what's available. Serious inquiries only please and don't insult me with your offers.

Thanks for reading and understanding...

1. Dustpan and brush

2. Sponges

3. Dusters

4. Mop and bucket

5. Window cleaner

6. Vacuum

7. Dish washing liquid

8. Laundry detergent

9. Fabric softener

10. Laundry baskets

11. Toilet brush

12. Cleaning sprays

13. Scrubbing brushes

14. Lawnmower

Man, this will be a relief!

Seriously, I've been as busy as a 1 legged man in a but kicking contest. For now I lurk, someday soon to return!
IBKen, , if you need anything, just holler, hope to see ya soon!

A few days ago someone posted the same "sell my gear" as I can't even keep up with the house work post on a Bass Guitar group on FB that I am on. Was good then, and was good just now! Thanks!

Good afternoon. A nice day here today. The wife was gone to Billings bowling on the state games with a couple of other ladies from our league. Got the laundry all done, got the mailbox mounted on the stand and still was able to watch the Xfinity race in New Hampshire. Just grilled a steak and it feels like BEER time.
thumbnail_20190720_130808.jpg My son will help me get the box set when he comes over tomorrow for dinner. That brake drum that the box is mounted on is just too heavy for me to move around by myself. For sure it will not blow over.

Karl - Nice to see you check in. Good one. Lurking in the shadows ??? I know the feeling about having so much else going on. I got down to the train room once in the past two weeks to run trains for a while when I got rained out by s string of thunderstorms.

Terry - Interesting video. Sure am glad that we don't have anything to do with a home owners association. That was an interesting video. I saw no damage on the truck at all, just the original paint. I see many survivors like that at car shows. Also like the story about your mom and her Hudson. My first car was a Hudson and I still have it. I finished restoring it last year. This is the only photo of it I have handy. It is now in the back of the shop blocked in by other cars. Runs like a charm and runs well for its age with the twin H carbs.

51 hudson.jpg This was taken last year at a car show in Missoula. A bit of a pain to drive without power steering.

By the way, I did bowl a couple of games last Friday and in the second game rolled a 201. Didn't want to over do it and quit after the second game.

Later

Good Afternoon Everyone.....hot and humid in Wisconsin as well. Heat extreme warnings for tomorrow and maybe Friday.

I have to drive the cabin for several things. One I need to water the plants, especially the potted ones and second I have an appointment at the local body shop to do some work on my truck where I hit the bird feeder. The cabin is in sand coutry and mositure from the rain doesn't last in the sand and it gets like a desert even with the pines and other plants in the woods.

Back to the damage to my truck....Down here a buff job and hand paint $500, at the up north shop $50.00. To do a complete repair of the rear quarter panel and the cost up north is $500 and down here $1,300. We're going to try the least expensive work first. The damage is in a spot no one may even notice.

Thanks everyone about your concern about the tick bite. I felt it walking on my side as I was watching television and and I sort of was sleeping late at night. I crushed it but not before it did a nice bite. I think it sucked enought blood and released it self and thats why it was walking on my side. The redness is much better and the swelling is reduced, so maybe tonight I'll get a night's sleep. Not worried about Lime Disease since the tick was large. The cabin is in tick county and they are around from the first thing in Spring until the ground freezes. Some of them get into the cabin and get killed when we see them.

Yesterday I spent some time in the layout room exchanging car's original couplers to Kadees on several cars. Practiced some more oil weathering methods.

Watched the next door neighbor's 18 year old girl back her 16th Birthday new present car into mom's new BMW. Looks like the daughter did damage to the full length of the BMW. $$$$

Too hot to even think about going outside right now.

Tomorrow, I'll water in the morning if no rain happens like they have forecasted. I remember working at the nursery and garden center when in high school and college and the semi loads of bagged mulch usually arrived on the hottest days of summer. It was all hands on deck to unload and stack the semi load before the second load showed up. In between loads, it was two regular Mountain Dews for each employee. I was in charge of the vending machines so I turned down the temperature of the can soda cooler to the lowest settings in summer.

Train room tomorrow and do more oil weathering practice. I do have to run some trains while I work. The Mrs. agreed that in later October I could start the layout expansion. A lot of moving mostly junk and building some more shelving. I look forward to starting the project, but I need a track plan for the 10 x 2.5 foot section.

Later................

Greg

#############################

View attachment 38046
April at the cabin and a late snowfall. How soon we forget about the cold days of winter when its near 100 degrees. -Greg

Greg- how did you & your cabin fare with these storms last night & today?

HOT and HUMID . 92 to 94* each day with high humidity. If I try to turn on the 'puter , up pops a T/S.
Anyway, still popping in, stayed awed by the postings of your modeling.
Prayers and Blessings for all.
Phil

PRAYER- The world's greatest wireless connection.

The wife unit was in a car accident Saturday night. Except for some scratches and bruises from the airbag and seatbelts, she is fine, if a bit shook up. She was going about 40mph (the speed limit) on a city street when an idiot pulled out right in front of her. The front end is smashed pretty well. It was towed to a lot and the insurance guy will go look on Monday. We'll see what he says.. While we are just glad that no one was hurt, it is rather inconvenient to have to deal with this as we are leaving for 3 weeks this coming Thursday.

Ours is the white car.

IMG_1196.jpgIMG_1199.jpg

The wife unit was in a car accident Saturday night. Except for some scratches and bruises from the airbag and seatbelts, she is fine, if a bit shook up. She was going about 40mph (the speed limit) on a city street when an idiot pulled out right in front of her. The front end is smashed pretty well. It was towed to a lot and the insurance guy will go look on Monday. We'll see what he says.. While we are just glad that no one was hurt, it is rather inconvenient to have to deal with this as we are leaving for 3 weeks this coming Thursday.

Ours is the white car.

View attachment 38081View attachment 38082
Generally, if the impact was severe enough to deploy the air bags, the car will be considered totaled.
Gladno one was hurt.

Good Morning All. 75°, clear sunny morning to start the day. Weather forecast is changing, the cool front is still on the way, just arriving another half day later on Monday night; and not lasting as long as originally projected. Still hasn't reached triple digits yet, even though it was predicted for the last four days. Rain, what rain? None here until October. I'll take sausage links and blueberry pancakes this morning Flo.
I finally mowed the "back 40" behind the barn and the area adjacent to my hayfield yesterday. Got out the trusty weedeater for a partial work session that will be completed today.

Thanks for the most recent round of likes and comments regarding the structures yesterday; Garry, Sherrel, Jerome, Tom, Chet, Phil. Always appreciated.

Had a little more time in the train shed yesterday. I finished installing all of the windows and added signage to the structure. It will be a small metal fabricator.
07-21-19 001.JPG

Here's a rough shot of the walls assembled; not all of them are glued together yet, as I had to leave to fire up the grill for supper.

07-21-19 003.JPG

Sunday is always a short day for modeling, but I should get all of the walls glued together and get started on either the roof or the loading dock. BTW, it was a struggle to clear out that much of the workbench for this project!:rolleyes:

Garry - People, fences; Sherrel is easy to please!;)
Sherrel - You saw first-hand how much area I had to fill with buildings. I easily have 380+ and I really need a few more than I already have on the "stock" shelves.
Chet - I don't remember any Red Owl stores in Texas either, but I am not too exacting in many of my smaller businesses.
Is the post office going to actually start delivery in your area? Nice job on making it "tip-over proof". Before a thoughtful neighbor constructed a brick enclosure for the eleven mailboxes clustered in front of his house, our individual boxes regularly had to be replaced after getting bashed in by local hoodlums.
Has anyone noticed that gravity seems to work better as you get older ??????
Yes, especially on a woman's anatomy.
Wow! The picture of the Hudson is great. It's one that you haven't posted before, at least that I can remember. Nice work.
Chad - Very glad to read that there were no serious injuries.

HOA's None in my neighborhood! It's your property, do whatever you want! Try to be reasonable.
Today is both National Ice Cream Day; and National Junk Food Day. Eat away. I don't really indulge in either, although I do like ice cream. I'll expend my calorie intake on red meat, veggies and beer. My junk food is lightly salted peanuts or cashews.
Everybody have a great day.

72F at 8AM. Supposed to be a hot one today.

Generally, if the impact was severe enough to deploy the air bags, the car will be considered totaled.
Gladno one was hurt.

Yeah, that is what I've been assuming, but until we get the report from the insurance company, nothing is final. Stranger things have happened. Just to make sure that whatever settlement is offered is fair. I've been treated well by the insurance company in the past (2 collision claims, both times someone rear ended me -- one time without insurance).

Modern cars are full of crumple zones, and other safety features so that the damage looks localized, but looks worse in that area. The car did its job in protecting the occupant.

Good morning ...

Terry ..... I'm not sure if November is National Model Railroad Month.

Chet ..... Your Hudson looks like an 0-4-0 instead of a 4-6-4. :D .... Kidding aside, I like that old car. Nice work restoring it.

Willie ..... Your ironworks project is looking great.

Chad .... I'm sorry to hear about your wife's car accident. It is good she was not very seriously hurt. .... Was the other driver using a cell phone at the time ?

Yesterday, we were in Nashville again, and saw Shelley's Mom in long term care. She is not doing well again .

Next Saturday, we leave for a week-long trip to Maine.

hOWDY YOU'ALL!
We are starting the day here with full sunshine and it looks as if there will be NO Ocean influence!
Temp supposed to reach 90* (87* yesterday) 93* last year and 102* in 2016.

Pretty full day with the kids yesterday - had them at a swimming hole for most of the afternoon. Behavior is somewhat better than a couple years ago, but a long way to go before joining the human race. They have had a rough life as the parents are going through a divorce and my daughter was the one with the serious alcohol problem partly brought on by a SIL who "recently got religion and the world in gonna end tomorrow and who is gonna pray everything well" type! The oldest boy has serious attention deficit behavior problems and has been recently placed on drugs which I am told he will probably need all his life. Anyway, no wonder they are AFU. Wife and I tried to tell daughter years ago that he needed med, or psy help but she was headstrong, wouldn't listen, and kept saying - oh he will grow out of it. School finally convinced her to seek help for him.
OK .. My rant over!
TERRY - Great clip of the HOA. Having a HOA is not a bad thing; however, it seems that most of the time they wind up being controlled by busybodies who want to rule the roost and they basically become a Fascist Operation. We are pretty lucky here with only about 110 homes, and so far, pretty reasonable folks have been on the board.
CHET - That mailbox post looks like it will weather the storm as long as the hoodlums don't attach a chain to it and drag it down the road. Be interesting to see if they conduct batting practice on the box?
The Hudson looks nice - cannot believe you held on to it all these years - that's awesome!
You probably have Mater tucked away back there somewhere?
Willie- Nice comeback on the gravity bit. Our mailboxes are in groups of 30, or so, bolted to a concrete base with a dozen 3/4 inch bolts. Believe it or not - the hoodlums actually chained one down, but tore the axle out of the car doing it! They did not get the boxes, but we got their car and police got them!
Garry - safe travels.

I'll try and touch base with IB Ken again tocay!

CHAD - Really sorry about the accident - really glad that no one was hurt. I did not know that about the deployment of the airbags resulting in a total - learn something every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back