Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Happy Friday! 73°, and murky.

Don't get me started on health insurance, things will get ugly pretty quickly.

Didn't want to incite you to riot, Terry, just commenting on the obvious. :rolleyes:.

Speaking of tax bills, I'm eagerly anticipating my new 2019 - 2020 Property Tax bill, due any day now.

Boris

Good morning everyone. 75 and sunny out there. I'm starved, Flo - - how about scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, and coffee. thanks.

Dave, Flip, Wheeler, and anyone else I missed - Thanks for the comments on the DPM structure progress.
Garry - that's a nice photo from your layout

Nothing to report this morning. Yard work took up last evening, and tonight I'll need to mow. The ZTR at least makes mowing fun, not quite so much like "work"!! (Remember Bob Denver's Maynard G. Krebs character from the sitcom The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis?)

Anyway, we have family coming up from Texas next week to spend a few days with us, so trying to do some yard work and get the place in good shape.

Have a good day everyone.

Well, I won't be getting to the club this Sunday. My Integra has cracked the top radiator tank (plastic) and I won't get a new one till late next week (ebay). My little Honda CRX has been waiting for me to replace the starter motor for months. I do have spares for that, so that will be on priority first. Once that's done, the 'Teg will replace it in the shed and I might as well tackle other maintenance on it that's also been on the rountuit list while it's waiting. It got jacked up in the yard and given a degrease and pressure washdown of the engine bay in preparation.

Good Morning All. 76° and clear here in North Central Texas. At least it's a bit cooler this morning than yesterday. We'll still be flirting with triple digits for a few moredays until the cool front hits Sunday night OK, now they say Monday morning with a high near 90°. Pool is remaining constant at 84° right now. Francine, I'll have some of those huevos rancheros hold the avocado, with a handful of bacon on the side.
Dermatologist visit was quick and easy yesterday, no issues with the previous procedure. He re-froze the same two spots in a little wider pattern just to be sure that there was no remaining malignant cells. In and out in less than 15 minutes with two very ugly scars that should go away in about 2-3 weeks.
Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments; Johnny, Jerome, Patrick, Sherrel, Garry, Phil, Dave. It's good to be back into a laser-cut structure after the cardstock lodge and a couple of plastic structures.

I did make some more progress out in the train shed yesterday. I not only got all of the walls completed and primered, but also applied the final coat to the outsides of the walls. I was also able to get a few windows completed and installed.
07-19-19 002.JPG

I also took some time to run trains.
Here's a pair of Kato Dash9-44CW's pulling an intermodal train through Charlottesville.
07-18-19 002.JPG

07-18-19 003.JPG

My first attempt at photographing moving objects. Looks like I need some practice.

Chet - Meant to comment yesterday on the car show. Looked like my old neighborhood in Dallas back in the 60's. A lot of my neighbor's back then restored or maintained vehicles of that vintage. Excellent pictures.
Johnny - The farm supply looks OK. The only issue that I can see with the sign is the centering, font style looks fine.
Patrick - I fully understand the heat effects and results. There were some days while I was working that walking out in the non air conditioned factory with 600 sweaty employees, it was really noticeable.
Joe - That interlocking tower sounds like an interesting build. My Medicare experiences mirror yours. My supplemental insurance provider has impressed me as well. I have seen more incompetency in doctors offices than in state governmental bureaucracies.
Sherrel - Thanks for the update on Ken.
Garry - Thanks.

Today is National Daiquiri Day. I'll stick with beer.
Have a great day and a fine weekend.

Good morning. 48 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the 70's. Glad that we don't have the heat. (yet).

Went to Butte yesterday and when we got back I got a piece of pipe to build our mailbox stand. We may finally be getting mail delivery after being here for over 42 years. I got a hold of an old brake drum from a heavy truck and welded the pipe to it. Later today I have an eye appointment and then will pick up a mail box and some paint and get it ready to be put in place. I'm sure the wind will not knock it over. It's impossible to dig a hole to plant a post because the road is set on top of some 4 inch pit run and gravel. May also try to bowl a couple of games while I'm in town.

thumbnail_20190718_173424.jpg

Johnny
- The DPM building looks good. I really like their kits. Some look just like the buildings all over the state in small towns like the ones where they had the car show.

Patrick - Sorry to hear that you had to get rid of some of your old cars. They are a bit of a passion for me. I have over a dozen out in my shop, but I have been selling some of them off as it is getting harder to do the work I like to do as age creeps up on me. I doubt that I'll start and more and just enjoy the ones I have. All of them are driven during the year when the weather is nice.

Joe
- I will have to agree with you about Medicare and the supplement. The total for my shoulder was over $54,000 and I only ended up paying around $1,200 out of pocket. I'll also agree with you on the physical therapy. The therapist I had was outstanding. She called me her posted child as she couldn't believe how fast I was able to recover. I did follow through with the home exercises she gave me and also used the are as much as I could through the recovery period. She said that that was probably what helped me with a faster than normal recovery.

Sherrel - Thanks for the update on IB Ken. I can understand that the post op med can do to you. I got off of them as soon as I could due to the side effects that come with them. Next time you talk to him say hi for me. We have cars shows all across the state in different towns during the summer and I just love the old buildings. Got another in a couple of weeks.

Louis
- My favorite hot dogs are Nathans. Unfortunately they are hard to get out here. When were were traveling on the east coast I would always stop when ever we found one. Oscar Mayer hot dogs are normally what we end up with here.

Garry
- Enjoyed your photo. Love the city photos.

Dave - That is one interesting box car. Firs right into your era.

Terry - That's a lot of bucks to register a vehicle. I don't understand how some states classify a pickup ads a commercial vehicle. Both of our daily drivers are over 10 years old so we are able to get a permanent tag on the plate and never have to pay to register them again.

Willie - Good photos as usual. Looking forward to see that building come together and see what you use it for.

Have a few out door chore to do before heading to town.

Later.

Been busy trying to do chores yesterday and today. Spousal Unit is on MIL duty from yesterday afternoon until Monday and my daughter (works in TSA) is in LA this week and going to Vegas next week. I have to shape up the house and go to pick up her and the two G-sons (flying out alone) this morning. It's going to be a real chore taking care of the two boys. ages 10 and 8 for the week that daughter will be in Vegas - I hope that I can muster the wherewithal to handle it. Two years ago - the last time they were here - they about drove me and the wife to run away. They are not disciplined, at least then, at all and I will just have to discipline myself to hold my temper. I'm trying to think of things that we can do without spending a fortune and that I have the ability to walk - after much more than a half-mile, my right hip starts really hurting. It would be nice if they were old enough that I could just drop them off at one of the amusement parks and then pick them up when they have worn out?

Garry - Love that last photo of "Heartland"! WOW, that's nice!
Willie -
Good pics too! I think your 'moving' photo looks fine - it shows some action.

Better get my tail in motion -- have more folks that I meant to comment on, but just do not have the time.
I'll try and touch base with IB Ken on the way to the A/P - Also need to contact my BIL who has been battling leukemia for the past 4 years - and now has learned that he has prostate cancer. He is pretty shaken up according to his wife who broke down telling me last night.

Supposed to only be 83* today - crept up to 88* yesterday - later!

Afternoon All,

Well I survived the prep (barely) and the procedure. The procedure was supposed to be at 1130 yesterday but didn't happen until 3 pmo_O. They sent some polyps off for testing, but my 2 year interval was increased to 3 years:). Thank you to everyone that commented on the gun barrel build.

Sherrel- I think it is a unique Navy load that the PRR actually carried. The company (AMB) used the Pennsy plans that the PRRT&HS provided when they produced the kit. The amazing thing is that there was 12 of these loads per battleship.

Willie- Nice farm scene and action photos. Looking forward to seeing your laser cut build.

Chet- Neat looking car show.

Johnny- Nice looking buildings.

Garry- Another great scene.

Dave-Interesting box car.

Ken- I hope you're feeling better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Wow.....you know it's been a good while since you have last posted when there isn't any new updates listed for me. Been busy real busy! The 4th of July was a blur as I was working my butt off to cover everyone's vacations here at work. I do hope everyone is doing well. It's been awhile so I'll have to play catch up. I just figured I'd check in let everyone know I'm still around.

Good evening. It's sunny and 97, with humidity to match.
A couple of weeks ago, the decoder in a Scale Trains dash 8 went up in smoke. I pulled it out, and sent it to them, today they sent out the replacement. I should have it by Monday.

Sherrel- I think it is a unique Navy load that the PRR actually carried. The company (AMB) used the Pennsy plans that the PRRT&HS provided when they produced the kit. The amazing thing is that there was 12 of these loads per battleship.

Curt, and Sherrel: Many of the US Navy's Dreadnought type Battleships were built in Brooklyn NY and Camden NJ. Carnegie's Steel Complex outside of Pittsburgh, was a prime manufacturer of 14" rifles used as the main armament on US Battleships. All of these points were on or accessible to the PRR. There is substantially more to the story than my brief summary.

Incidentlily, A recent TV Documentary of the WW1 Sea Battle of Jutland, attempted to explain some of the shortcomings of the WW1 era Dreadnought Battleships. The production crew had to travel to Texas to tour and video the USS Texas BB 35, the last remaining Dreadnought type warship in existence. Some of the vulnerabilities exposed in this documentary show a serious flaw in British and US ship construction in the years leading up to WW1.

Boris

Good evening.

Dave, Johnny, Chet, Sherrel, and Curt. .... Thank you for commenting on my photo.

Chet... That is remarkable about your getting a mailbox after so many years.

Willie... The moving train in your photo looks as it should.

Dave ... I like the old box car.

Good Saturday Morning All. 78° and clear. It's not getting as hot in the afternoons as the forecasters have been predicting, only getting up to 96° yesterday. Still no rain in sight for the next ten days, but cooler temperatures beginning Monday for about a week, including 3-4 days when it isn't expected to reach 90°. Hello Francine, make it a couple of eggs over easy with sausage patties this morning.
Despite the lack of rain, I am still mowing, about 45 minutes worth yesterday. Lots of other time spent on household tasks.

Thanks everybody for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress and train photos; Chet, Jerome, Garry, Sherrel, Tom, Curt.

Made some more progress out in the train shed yesterday. Completed adding the acetate to all of the windows, 45 in all, and installed most of them. No need for progress shots until tomorrow. I also made a couple more trees for the recent scenery project and installed them.
In the meantime, here's a couple of shots of some older Walther's kits that I built over fifteen years ago. First is the Gemini Building, actually a re-issue of an even older Magnuson model. On the left is an auto parts store, on the right is an appliance store, with a dance studio on the second floor through that door in the center.
09-13-14 009.JPG

Here is Merchants Row II, also a Magnuson re-issue, with (l-r) a photo studio, hardware store and a bicycle shop.
06-13-18 006.JPG

Walther's is getting a lot of mileage from reissuing those old Magnuson models. Even today, thirty years later, they are still making them, although they are finally changing the names. For example, here's one they now sell as Jim's Red Owl Food Store that uses the Gemini Building as a base. BTW, the sidewalks on this structure are mine; they don't come with the kit like the Merchant's Row kits.
06-12-16 012.JPG

Chet - Still have over a dozen cars? I thought you were thinning the herd!;) I can relate to the mailbox situation although I don't have to go as far as you have had to go. 38 years later, our mailbox is still 1.25 miles away in a different county no less. I fully agree regarding the DPM buildings.
Sherrel - Been there, done that with the grandsons for a week earlier this summer. Same ages but it sounds like mine might be more well behaved. Interesting comment regarding the amusement park. When I was growing up, that was an accepted practice all around. Mine are now 9 and 11 (had recent birthdays) and my daughter is going to leave them home alone for the first time tonight for a few hours while they go out and party with friends. Prayers for your BIL.
Curt - Good to read that the procedure was a success, albeit late.

Of course today is National Moon Day, commemorating Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Good morning, everybody .

Willie ..... The buildings will be great ...... Sherrel will be glad you have people with them. LOL ......

National Moon Day .... I still remember Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon.

By the way, what day is national hug a model railroader day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back