Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was 66F at 5:45AM when the wife was getting ready for her shift in the CICU. 72F now at 8:30AM. Should be up in the 90s again today, but was a few degrees cooler over night than it has been, which should have allowed the house to cool off an extra degree or two. (I keep the A/C set relatively high, as I don't want to pay for it, much to the chagrin of the family).

Today should be a much less stressful day. Had more than 2.5 hours of sleep last night. Trying to get some Tokyo Disney tickets bought. For some reason, they are having issues with every credit card I have tried (from a couple banks). Credit card companies say they aren't denying it, and the Tokyo Disney Resort people only have a phone to call for help. I may have to try and call tomorrow when the wife can do the talking.

All this talk of colonoscopies... Great breakfast topic.

Except for one JR 321 expansion set from KATO, due to a budget moratorium, I won't be getting much model RR stuff in Japan. But I will do a lot of looking. And I have some track and a couple small items, mostly KATO track, sitting at my SisInLaws house that "got lost" when my wife was there after Christmas for a quick visit after her mom's cancer diagnosis.

Keep up all the inspiring RR work and pics, and prayers and thoughts for good health for all.

Good Almost afternoon all,

I hate days off as they usually mean more work when I get back in. Not so today.

We're under the same heat advisory Willie is. It is supposed 101 today with heat index of 105 to 110. Boo....

No trains yesterday, but I did get the last part we needed to get for the n-scale for the grandkid. Still wish Model Train Stuff would hurry up with the order. Still in needs fulfillment status as of 0500 this morning. Now if I can find the part I need for my blue box engine.....

Good Noontime to most all of you out there in Model Land! Forgive me for being late to the party - I got hung up trying to fix "issues" and mucking out the RV yesterday. Everything is done except fueling and the repair of the Auto Steps. I may just leave the step issue for a while - I built a 3 step (step) which is lightweight and easier on the legs in getting in/out of the coach. I about gave myself a heat stroke yesterday fooling around in the hotness, resulting in coming in and laying down on the floor after cooling off in the shower. OK - nuff about me....

Another clear day with the heat a more reasonable 85* high, last year 94*, record of 101* in 2010.

I want to try and contact IB Ken again today - maybe not talk as long as yesterday, but I know that some days (of the 19 that I was a prisoner) there were some days that I would even talk back to the TV just to make conversation - other days I did not want to talk to anyone!

GREG - You're tick bite scares me - I have not had one in 60 years, but I have caught a few climbing on my arm or leg. When I had some property out west of here in the hills and was clearing it - my dogs just absolutely got covered with hundreds of them. I really had to give them several shampoos before I was satisfied and really checked them over good - still found one or two on them a day later that had not had time to really burrow in. Chiggers were what really gave me fits as a youngster - man could they raise a whelp!

Johnny -- The "Lighting Striped" F units approaching the bridge is a really nice photo. Those NYC Units were my second favorite behind the Santa Fe's in the Lionel realm.

JOE -- Things like you described with the medical billing piss me off to no end! That is just sheer incompetence.
I think they received their training from the CA DMV!
I too am watching all the knee problems. Spousal Unit is really in bad shape right now - she has an appointment to get a shot for tomorrow. She will probably be looking at the same type of surgery in a very short while. My friend in Arkansas had both of his replaced - one gave him "zero" problems, but the second one has still really bothered him over a year later.
My neighbor next door had one done which has given her fits for six months while a Bunco friend just had one done two weeks ago and says that he is "good to go" with no ill effects.

OK - got a pot of beans/ham on the stove; I better go see about them?

CHAD -- Don't give up on all us "old folks" and out ailments ... LOL ... your turn will come!
I have often wondered about the makeup of a person's mind who wants to become a Colonoscopy Doctor?
I hope you get your Disney tickets sorted out .........

Willie - Like your fencing!

Good afternoon. Been busy as usual. Was out of town visiting friends and attending a car show. Took a lot of photos but something was apparently screwed up with my old camera. A lot of the photos were not complete when I downloaded them and had to edit many of them.

Here are some that are worth posting.

0001.jpg 29110833676_4745f77af8_b.jpg Chevy-Panel-Reimann.jpg

7f1dc3_bc548642d92042738a80ea0d5b3398f4~mv2_d_4608_2809_s_4_2.jpg 4f42d780bc12586e7723c36c15702ef4.jpg 23a1764195945a16c10470bd63315180.jpg

daly-days-car-show.jpg img-3311-1.jpg scr-2002carshow-14.jpg

Car Show-Remember_RZ.jpg
The ones of my '59 Impala all came out screwed up with gray lines across the photos. Guess I should have used the phone camera.

Got back into town just in time to make my last physical therapy appointment. The shoulder had steadily improved and the range of motion is probably as good as it will get. Now I just have to work on getting strength back into the arm. Party time.

Dave -
Really like the photo of the CNW geep. Nice photo.

Johnny
- Excellent photo.

Curt -
That is one outstanding model. It will look good in a display case, but better on your layout. Excellent work.

Sherrel - Thanks for the update on IB Ken. Appreciate that. Glad he's doing well.

Joe - It's a bugger getting old isn't it? Hope they get your billing corrected. I have parts of me aching that I forgot that I had. Glad that my shoulder is better. Hope the replacement lasts for a while.

Terry
- Heard that the weather on the eastern part of the country is going to be miserably hot. Keep cool.

Willie -
I really like the details that your photos show. Keep them coming.

Off to Butte tomorrow to see the dentist for a check up. Have a few outside chores to take care of.

Later

I'm back. Wasn't up to doing anything for a couple days. Even my pills didn't help. Think I'll blame the heat
OOPS- T/S just got here.
Later

Good afternoon Everybody!

Curt, the pool is fantastic and my grandson is loving it! It's been perfect timing as we are in the midst of a heat wave with feels like temperatures of 100+. I finished filling the 4320 gallon pool Sunday and yesterday afternoon the water was already 88, but it felt good.

Time is up for me, have a great day everybody!

Well, the part I need to fix my engine is on its way. $11 with shipping for a no longer manufactured part. Of course I should be glad it isn't a 35 year old Dodge part that is made of unobtainium. I will have spares when I fix the engine though, so not extremely bad.

I had a 1967 Dodge Coronet with A/C that had a heater valve that cost me in excess of $150 for NOS as there were no aftermarket parts, but I needed the part to have defrosters that were bypassed ages before by a previous owner. Had it been a Chevy of that year there were a ton of parts made in the aftermarket.

Well, the part I need to fix my engine is on its way. $11 with shipping for a no longer manufactured part. Of course I should be glad it isn't a 35 year old Dodge part that is made of unobtainium. I will have spares when I fix the engine though, so not extremely bad.

I had a 1967 Dodge Coronet with A/C that had a heater valve that cost me in excess of $150 for NOS as there were no aftermarket parts, but I needed the part to have defrosters that were bypassed ages before by a previous owner. Had it been a Chevy of that year there were a ton of parts made in the aftermarket.

I can understand your problem. I have been restoring classic and muscle cars for over 40 years. Try getting parts WITHOUT the internet. Over the years I have made so many contacts with suppliers that most of the time it isn't hard at all now. Just a matter of how deep your pockets are.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....hot and humid in Wisconsin as well. Heat extreme warnings for tomorrow and maybe Friday.

I have to drive the cabin for several things. One I need to water the plants, especially the potted ones and second I have an appointment at the local body shop to do some work on my truck where I hit the bird feeder. The cabin is in sand coutry and mositure from the rain doesn't last in the sand and it gets like a desert even with the pines and other plants in the woods.

Back to the damage to my truck....Down here a buff job and hand paint $500, at the up north shop $50.00. To do a complete repair of the rear quarter panel and the cost up north is $500 and down here $1,300. We're going to try the least expensive work first. The damage is in a spot no one may even notice.

Thanks everyone about your concern about the tick bite. I felt it walking on my side as I was watching television and and I sort of was sleeping late at night. I crushed it but not before it did a nice bite. I think it sucked enought blood and released it self and thats why it was walking on my side. The redness is much better and the swelling is reduced, so maybe tonight I'll get a night's sleep. Not worried about Lime Disease since the tick was large. The cabin is in tick county and they are around from the first thing in Spring until the ground freezes. Some of them get into the cabin and get killed when we see them.

Yesterday I spent some time in the layout room exchanging car's original couplers to Kadees on several cars. Practiced some more oil weathering methods.

Watched the next door neighbor's 18 year old girl back her 16th Birthday new present car into mom's new BMW. Looks like the daughter did damage to the full length of the BMW. $$$$

Too hot to even think about going outside right now.

Tomorrow, I'll water in the morning if no rain happens like they have forecasted. I remember working at the nursery and garden center when in high school and college and the semi loads of bagged mulch usually arrived on the hottest days of summer. It was all hands on deck to unload and stack the semi load before the second load showed up. In between loads, it was two regular Mountain Dews for each employee. I was in charge of the vending machines so I turned down the temperature of the can soda cooler to the lowest settings in summer.

Train room tomorrow and do more oil weathering practice. I do have to run some trains while I work. The Mrs. agreed that in later October I could start the layout expansion. A lot of moving mostly junk and building some more shelving. I look forward to starting the project, but I need a track plan for the 10 x 2.5 foot section.

Later................

Greg

#############################

201810209511425795HDR.jpg

April at the cabin and a late snowfall. How soon we forget about the cold days of winter when its near 100 degrees. -Greg

Last edited:
WOW!! Bunch of close strikes- whole house shook. Good amount of rain- cooled us down from94* to 76*. More storms likely tonight and then repeat tomorrow. MOH just informed me a cell tower is down-no phone till sometime tomorrow.
Again want to thank all who post their modeling skills for us to see AWESOME!!!.
Continuing PRAYERS and Blessings to all,
Phil

TELLING A WOMAN TO CALM DOWN WORKS ABOUT AS WELL AS BAPTIZING A CAT

Good morning Everybody!

It's 77 with partly cloudy skies in south east Baltimore. Today's high is predicted to be only 90, Friday-97, Saturday-99, Sunday-98. The heat wave is supposed to subside, the forecast for Monday is only 87.

Chet, I love panel trucks, I've always wanted one, thanks for posting them and the others.
"They don't build them like they use to"

Makes me wonder how many of todays cars will become "classics", if any? With all the electronic gadgets and gizmos in today's cars they probably won't be worth the cost of restoring.

I saw a Lamborghini crusing on the south east side of the outer loop of the Baltimore beltway (I695) yesterday. It looked great, but It sat so low I thought "how does it get into a drive way or go over a speed bump?"

My pool water was 90 yesterday, I guess that is why it came with a pool cover? It still felt good, made me feel cool when I got out and I cooked dinner on the grill.

Willie, I did not know yesterday was national hotdog day, thank you. Almost everyday could be national hotdog day in my book. I tried Oscar Mayer's Cheese Dogs yesterday for the first time and they are great! Of course I sampled one before cooking the rest.
1563442648752.png
I consider them "health food". I always buy the uncured Oscar Mayer hotdogs now that Baltimore's own Esskay hotdogs are gone.

When I was a kid, other kids ran into the house to get cookies or some other snack like that. I ran in and got 2 cold Esskay hotdogs, one for each hand. Maybe that was why I was 6' tall when I was 11. My favorite snack drove my (unpaid) Nanny crazy, she would often say "he is going to get worms" and Jack would always reply "Irene they are fully cooked" as I ran back outside. I still think of them when ever I eat hotdogs, thank God my Mom left me with them and they were good hearted enough to take great care of me. I must have cost them a small fortune feeding and clothing me. I ate like a horse and thanks to them I grew like a weed.

I was a strange kid, I guess somethings never change. I did not like fruit, cakes or other sweets, except for Hershey's chocolate and Jack's homemade rice pudding. To me bread was only good for keeping your hands clean when eating meat. Or for making toast to sop up the egg yoke. My favorite things to eat were meat, greens, especially spinach, cabbage and potatoes and of course French fries! Like I said, somethings never change, I still eat the same way. Other than I developed a taste for pie, pecan is my favorite, but I have yet to find a pie I did not like. Life has a sense of humor, of course I developed a taste for pie now that I am diabetic. Oh well, if that is all I have to complain about I'm in great shape, thank God!

Have a great day Everybody, God Bless You All!

Louis, do you remember "Frankenstuff" hot dogs from Hormel? I liked them, but I think they were pulled off the market because people were burning their mouths from the chili in the middle after cooking.

Terry I can't say if I ever tried them or not, I don't remember, but they do sound good!

I can be such a creature of habit, I seldom try anything new.

I'll give you an example. It took me over 50 years to try brussels sprouts. The worst part is I love cabbage!

Good Morning All. Clear and 79°, a bit warm for this time of day. High yesterday and today is 97°, compared to 104° last year on this date. Another cool front arrives Sunday night. How about just a bacon sandwich this morning Flo,
Busy day today with the dermatologist visit at 8:30 for a follow up on two spots that he scraped off a month ago that were malignant; then over to the grocery store for another week's worth of supplies.
Most of the day yesterday was spent outdoors. First I replaced a couple of wheel bearings on the tractor, then I mowed intermittently for three hours. My son in law and my two grandsons came by to pick up the granddog on the way home from a business trip to Wichita Falls; the boys hung out in the hotel room and breakfast bar while Dad went to a meeting. I assembled the walker so my wife could practice which she did not.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the well trained livestock; Chet, Johnny, Sherrel, Jerome, Patrick, Phil, Louis.

Did a little modeling in the train shed yesterday. I started on another laser-cut structure, this one from JL Innovative Design, I cut and glued braces and stiffeners to the backs of some of the walls. Instructions called for nine, I used eighteen since I've made these types of structures before. Pretty much eliminates bowing of the walls.
Structure walls and stripwood needed for the building. There are some more pieces for the loading dock that are not in this picture.
07-18-19 001.JPG

I also got some of the corner posts cut and glues on as well.
07-18-19 004.JPG

Wall in lower left corner still needs the corner posts.
I also removed all of the doors and windows from their sprues and test-fitted them all prior to hitting them with Dull Coat. Time permitting today, after attaching the remaining corner posts, I will spray all of the wooden parts with primer. Also on tap will be cutting and installing the window acetate.
I actually ran a few trains from end to end yesterday, just because I could.

Johnny - I use the same obedience school that Chet uses to keep his cows in the unfenced pastures on his layout.:) No unsedated colonoscopies for me. I like the sedated easy-in, easy-out procedure
Joe - I sometimes think that business bureaucracies are worse than governmental ones. Insurance/doctors offices are the worst, although I have only had good experiences with Medicare, so far. Telephone and cable providers are almost as bed as insurance. I'll give periodic updates on her replacement; I wish that she had done it five years ago when I urged her to do it. That would have eliminated the last three months of pain and immobility. One thing that I did learn from others, is to follow the rehab and physical therapy religiously regardless of the pain and discomfort, as that is as much a part of a successful surgery as a competent doctor.
Greg - That's great news about the expansion.
Louis - A pool with only 4300 gallons will heat up very quickly. Air temperature has very little to do with either heating or cooling; air is a terrible conductor of heat. The sun's rays warm it up. Overnight evaporation cools it off. If you are in a humid environment like I imagine Baltimore is, evaporation is reduced, thus it does not cool off as much. Same thing on cloudy nights. A cover will trap the heat in, something you don't want to do until fall to extend the season. If you can put the cover about a foot above the water/pool edge, it will shade it from the sun. A recirculating fountain or waterfall can help cool the water at night. 800 lbs of ice will cool it by 1° for a few hours!

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Willie, I was thinking of using the cover to shield the pool from the midday sun. We don't usually get in until about 3pm. The pool gets full sun from 9:30am until about 7pm.

You are correct sir, Baltimore is humid!

I like to get into the pool in the morning as well, before the sun hits it. In fact, that is what I am planning to do shortly!

The pool temperature is now 86. We had a thunderstorm last night that cooled things off for a little while. The water level did not rise significantly, about 1/2cm, maybe.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, I greatly appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back