Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning ...... I'll be very brief. .... We are leaving very soon for Nashville

WIllie .... Looks like a very good backdrop building.

Dave ..... Your station looks good from this side too.

Here is a a view of my City of Heartland . I stepped back so you get an overview. ... The SD9 in the lower left corner is on a reverse loop which surround the downtown area.

36694604316_c689351796_b.jpg

What kind of birds are those?
They are Black Vultures, commonly called buzzards, they are slightly smaller than their cousins, the more common Turkey Vulture. This couple nests in my open barn loft every year. Their lifespan in the wild is ten years or more. I'm reasonably sure that this is the same female year after year, I am not sure whether they keep mates for life.

Good morning everyone. 74 and partly cloudy. Had a sprinkle of rain overnight, but enough to take care of the garden. Time for another cup of coffee!!

Chet - nice photos from the club
Garry - safe traavels - thanks for posting the photos
Ken - prayers for your surgery and a quick recovery

Did a lot of outdoor work over the weekend: cleaned out a small storage shed we have at the back of the property, and a potting shed tacked on to the back of the shed. Also cleaned up my woodworking shop (out in the separate garage).

I made some progress on that DPM kit. Here are a few photos: First one is with all doors and windows in place and glass panes glued on. Second one is with the walls glued (block of wood inside, old carpenter's square outside, rubber band holding it in shape). Third one is the building standing on its own- haven't put any interior corner supports in yet, but I plan to. By the way, you can see in a couple of the photos some tweezers (some with red rubber handles, some without) - our local Menard's had a sale bin full of these kits (about 8 or 10 tweezers of different shapes, angles, etc), for $6 and change. So I got one - they work nice.
DPM_Structure_July2019_Progress1.jpgDPM_Structure_July2019_Progress2.jpgDPM_Structure_July2019_Progress3.jpg

Well, that's it for now. have a good day everyone.

Good morning. Another nice start to the day, but again we have thunder storms forecast for the later afternoon and early evening. Save me rolling out the hoses to water the lawn.

We had a 4.0 earthquake about 25 miles north of us Saturday evening. I never felt a thing, but both dogs reacted to it, waking up from their evening nap and charging to the front door barking. We have numerous small earthquakes on a regular basis up here usually 3.0 or smaller.

IB Ken
-I normally don't have a train ready to run. I'll gather up cars from one of the yards that fit industries on the layout, build a train and drop them off and return any cars back to the yard.

Dave - Nice photo of the depot. Looks like the box car is leaning a bit.

Garry - Like the city scene of your layout. Wish I had a larger town to model on my layout, but the area I am modeling is more rural and some of the towns are a bit larger that the actual towns. Looks like you might be getting some rain.

Johnny - The DPM kit is coming along nicely. Now come the fun part, painting the windows.

Willie
- I still have some modular walls from Walthers hanging around somewhere. DPM also offered a modular building kit letting the modeler build what they needed. The building in the upper right is what I came up with for the DPM kit. Never used the Walthers walls.

IMAG0289.jpg

Guess I'll get to work spraying some more weeds. I would like to cut a lot of them down, but my shoulder still isn't well enough to get the weed eater started.

Later

Morning all,

Coffee this morning Flo...Thanks.

Well, got the proceeds of the auction Friday afternoon. Quite a bit of stuff, more that I thought by the pictures. For starters, my grandson is getting his N-scale setup a bit sooner, as there were 2 engines and 9 cars in the mix. So with those cars and the controller (that looks fairly new and works) we ordered all the track for a layout he was interested in from Model Train Stuff. The wife was surprised at how much cheaper they were than the only hobby store that sells train stuff in Doo-Dah (less by almost 1/2). We still need to find a riser kit as MTS was out of stock.

Tons of curved and straight track from Tyco, Atlas and Bachmann, mostly brass. Several locomotives of various manufacturers, including the Great Northern GP 35, which I thought was a GP 7. It didn't run at first attempt, which surprised me as it was cleaner that the GP 40-2 I got a week or 2 back. But a little cleanup of the wheel and hand turning the motor and a little oil, she took right off and continued very smoothly. Ran it for 15 minutes in each direction (thank goodness for the test track). My biggest question is why does the cheap "toy" grade run better than the model grade until thy're cleaned up?

These were some of the nicer engines

20190714_170632.jpg

20190714_170503.jpg

Then I had some oddballs:
20190714_170658.jpg20190714_170716.jpg20190714_170735.jpg
The trolleys are a pair but only 1 is powered. It works.
The MOW bus is a Bachmann plastic lightweight and runs on the test track but not really well.
The yellow UP works fine. The Santa Fe growls very badly but runs.
They had price tags of under $20 with free caboose....lol

I have about another 8-10 engines that need work or are toy quality.

I'll post about the rail cars later.

Dave - Nice photo of the depot. Looks like the box car is leaning a bit.

View attachment 38016

Guess I'll get to work spraying some more weeds. I would like to cut a lot of them down, but my shoulder still isn't well enough to get the weed eater started.

Later

Chet-- I just had to go back and look. Since they all line up on the edge (looking back along all 4 cars) I will call it camera angle. Doubt If I could have gotten all of them wrong the same way.

By the way, very nice residential scene! The wrecker is deluxe!

Dave

Morning all,

Coffee this morning Flo...Thanks.

Well, got the proceeds of the auction Friday afternoon. Quite a bit of stuff, more that I thought by the pictures. For starters, my grandson is getting his N-scale setup a bit sooner, as there were 2 engines and 9 cars in the mix. So with those cars and the controller (that looks fairly new and works) we ordered all the track for a layout he was interested in from Model Train Stuff. The wife was surprised at how much cheaper they were than the only hobby store that sells train stuff in Doo-Dah (less by almost 1/2). We still need to find a riser kit as MTS was out of stock.

Tons of curved and straight track from Tyco, Atlas and Bachmann, mostly brass. Several locomotives of various manufacturers, including the Great Northern GP 35, which I thought was a GP 7. It didn't run at first attempt, which surprised me as it was cleaner that the GP 40-2 I got a week or 2 back. But a little cleanup of the wheel and hand turning the motor and a little oil, she took right off and continued very smoothly. Ran it for 15 minutes in each direction (thank goodness for the test track). My biggest question is why does the cheap "toy" grade run better than the model grade until thy're cleaned up?

These were some of the nicer engines

View attachment 38018

View attachment 38019

Hey Patrick, you got a load of cool stuff there. Way to go!

I am thinkin the grandson should be super happy with his setup!

Dave

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 79*F and clear in my central MD neighborhood. As always, I appreciate the continued prayers and well-wishes regarding my situation.

Terry, so sorry to hear about the migraine affliction on top of the back problem! My mother would get them and sometimes they kept her bedridden, as with Sherrell's mom. Bad as my current medical issues are though, I honestly would not want to trade them for yours; I'll definitely keep you in my prayers!

Chet - my trains are seldom in a spot where I can spontaneously start to run them like you do. I had to spend a few afternoons last week getting the layout de-cluttered and unpacking the rolling stock.

Speaking of running trains...I decided to build a coal drag long enough to occupy two staging tracks, then took one throttle to control the head-end motive power and a second throttle to control the helper engines. I installed a "junk" coupler [with the knuckle clipped-off] on the end of the loco that pushes against the train, to avoid possible stringlining in case one of them hesitates. This is the type of 'speed-matching' I truly enjoy, it helped keep my mind off the impending ordeal.

Today was the final day before my surgery, I was on a diet of nothing but clear liquids so I had episodes of feeling light-headed; a bottle of Gatorade usually alleviated that problem. Of course now I think I've nearly depleted my body's finite supply of stored calories. Before attending Mass this morning, I went to Confession and then got the Anointing Of the Sick - so now at least I'm well-prepared in the event they have to implement Plan B!;)

I'll see you guys in a few days, God willing...
My own Plan B involves my ashes and a brothel. That's the neat thing about atheism: your final plans can be much more creative.

I am going to do my best to keep from causing Amazon's website from crashing today. Join me in toasting my retirement anniversary, but not until you get off work today if applicable. Everybody have a great day.
Happy retirement! I'm half-blitzed in your honor.

I ordered three movies from Amazon, but the timing was only coincidental. The Russian version of War And Peace, and the HBO From the Earth to the Moon came out on Blu-Ray, and some fool was offeringa brand- new copy of Berke Breathed's (Bloom County) A Wish for Wings that Work for $5.

BTW, I'm sitting on my porch right now, watching the world go by, and a car pulls up to the curb in front of the house across the street. A very attractive girl/woman, about mid-20s, gets out and goes to the back of the car and pops the trunk. She doesn't take anything out, just stands there, taking a few puffs off a cigarette as her head swivels in all directions. After a minute, she tosses the "cigarette," closes the trunk, gets back in the car and drives off. Why not just toss the "cigarette" out the window as she drives? BTW, I used to smoke and I was downwind; that wasn't tobacco. Ps: No judgment, other than thinking her behavior was odd.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....home from the cabin and boy is it hot and humid!!!! I was when lucky I passed a Wisconsin Stae Trooper doing radar at just under 80 MPH with the posted speed at 70 MPH.

Cathy finialized the food and drink order for my 70th Birthday party at the Trading Post where we are having the party. The biggest question was a half barrel or quarter barrel of beer. My only input was we start with a half and if that is gone open a quarter barrel. Must be COLD!

My order for some "Fine" and a 3/4 inch flat brushesarrived while we were gone. I need these for my oil weathering. Oil weathering just takes lots of practice and the work is done in a series of applications. Looking at some models that were weathered I can see what the process was all about. I'm not just ready to tackle a locomotive, but I do have a CSX that will be practice material. The photos of actual locomotives does provide was clues.

I have out to Steve who has done some weathering for me a M&NS GP38-1, a SOO GP38-2, a Wisconsin Central SW1500, a Russell snowplow and two more cabooses. Steve was recommended to me by Sherrel and I really owe Sherrel for the lead that got the weathering artist. :)

I got bit by a wood tick about two and a half weeks ago and the bite area on my left side still hurts at night when I try to sleep and the rash area is large, but growing less red. I know there's a slight infection since I get a mild fever for time to time and I'm tired a lot. I need to get better before I go back in a couple of days. I have no appetite for large meals or fast food of any kind. I been bit before, but never like this. Getting to 70 is a lot harder than I thought.

Garry: Great city scene photo...have fun in Nashville....is the Crazy Horse Saloon still operating? We may spend Christmas at the Operaland Hotel.
The Mrs. needs a break from me and she can walk for miles without me and do some shopping. We have a offer to go to La Jolla, CA., but I do like some snow at Christmas time.

Chet: I just may take you up on the offer for the old Tyco rolling stock.

That was some derailment of the ore cars at the club. Any cars damaged? Some nice photos of the club.

Tomorrow some train time and run the weathered cabooses behind some trains.

Willie: Glad you missed the storm and its affects.

So that's all I know.................

Later.

Greg

IMG_0258.JPG
I have to add some foliage to "kill" the shine on the water. I have several of MNS box cars that show up in photos. -Greg

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores, then put the side wire bracing on (.015 phosphor wire) on the gun tube. After that I attached the brake wheel assemblies on the 3 cars and glued the bolsters back on the F22 flat cars. The only thing left to do is attach the 2 signs (DO NOT HUMP). I will take photos tomorrow.

I hope K

Willie- Nice job making the kit work and congrats on the retirement. Really nice load.

Sherrel- Not so good on 18" curves:oops:.

Dave- Nice little depot.

Garry- Beautiful scene. Safe travels.

Johnny- That will be a nice looking building when complete.

Chet- Nice scene.

Patrick- Nice looking haul.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. It's a cool 69° and clear. Last day of our cool spell, high temperature yesterday was only 88°, lower than predicted. Tomorrow should see 99°. Good morning Flo, how about some Eggs Benedict this morning, with the usual orange juice.
Today is an important day in my life. It marks the fourth anniversary of my last day of employment. Retirement is the best move I have ever made. Drinks are on me everywhere.
While we are discussing Irish wakes, my whole family is Irish, my late father was quite upset when he learned that his casket wasn't allowed to be at his wake due to a city of Dallas ordinance. It was traditional in his family going back years. He was quite an anal person and he did however set aside $5000 in his will to pay for the wake. He even specified who to invite and based his liquor listing on those persons. The local deli had a previously made list of the food that he wanted served, and all my brother (the host) had to do was call them and pay the bill. It was quite a raucous affair and my college age daughter later stated that in five years of college that she never attended a party quite as good as that one!

Thanks to all who liked or commented on yesterday's post; Sherrel, Jerome, Ray, Dave, Phil, Chet, Tom, Garry, Ken.

I managed to get out to the train shed for a while yesterday. Had some unexpected visitors while there. Local neighbors out for a walk with their latest family member.
View attachment 38001
Youngster is the one in the middle still with a lot of down. Too young to fly yet, so they just walk around. Green field in background is the part of my hayfield that was actually planted this year. Closer is the area that has native grasses on it, that was too wet to plow earlier this spring. While it looks close, the house in the background is slightly over a quarter mile away.

I did get some modeling done while I was out there. I posted a blank space last week that I intended to put a low relief background structure into. I am using Walther's discontinued modular walls.
View attachment 38002

Pause for a rant.
Walthers came out with these modular kits probably twenty years ago. I was always looking for an alternative so every structure that I built didn't look similar. They are not as good as similar DPM kits and are a bit wacky in the way that they are made. For example, wall columns. With DPM, the appropriate number of wall columns are included with each wall kit, with Walther's, they were a separate kit. Here's an example of the columns.
View attachment 38003
The problem is that they didn't make an appropriate number of column kits to match all of the wall kits, so....
I was given 36 wall kits by my LHS owner when he retired and closed shop. I had only two column kits that I had already purchased. I tried Ebay and all sorts of other online suppliers and there are no column kits out there anywhere. I have read quite a few comments on various forums regarding this unfortunate situation, but Walther's seems to be standing firm about their decision to discontinue these kits a few years back.
End of rant!
Fast forward, I have painstakingly cut wall columns out of some of their blank walls and off each side of their dock doors, but it is difficult. DPM columns do not work unless the structure might be used in the far background because the brick courses don't line up. So this time I took a different approach. I am using .250" x .020" Evergreen styrene to make concrete columns to secure the walls together.
Here's a picture of the painted assembled walls with the unpainted styrene strips.View attachment 38004
Next is the assembled walls, weathered and in place on the layout. Surrounding scenery will be next. Structure represents a small town newspaper printing company.

View attachment 38005
Thoughts?

Ray - You may be correct that the excavator actually was a Trucks 'n' Stuff model.

Let's all keep Ken in our thoughts today.

I am going to do my best to keep from causing Amazon's website from crashing today. Join me in toasting my retirement anniversary, but not until you get off work today if applicable. Everybody have a great day.
The fact that the window sills have been cast/molded to be concrete, helps with making the internal walls not look out of place.

Hey Patrick, you got a load of cool stuff there. Way to go!

I am thinkin the grandson should be super happy with his setup!

Dave

He is. It was supposed to be his Christmas, but at 9 are getting old enough to be satisfied with a bigger gift than more.

I'm tossing selling the 806 Steam Loco as it doesn't like the switches between the two loops. It is a 484 config and the front wheels don't have envy weight to carry them through my switch block. I was posting this from work, but 4 hours later, here I am.
I was doing a little train time when I had a train accident with the SD40. I dropped it on the floor, and the chassis just blew apart. Motor post springs.contact brushes,etc. I was able to find all the parts and get partially running. I just need to get the female coupler (90105) and it will be completely repaired. I guess it could have been a lot worse.

WILLIE, here's to your retirement. It seems you have done it right, only 1 time? I have semi retired 4 times now, but in my defense, when I was a kid all the old timers said I would have to drive a truck til I die...…….. I guess this is why my railroad is progressing so slow, but I'll get there.
IMG_0507.JPG

Dave in PV

Howdy ... long day. Now it is midnight here.

The purpose of the trip to Nashville was to take my wife to have minor out patient surgery in the afternoon. . I’m pleased to say it went well . Now she gets to rest at home and follow doctor instructions for a few days.

Thanks to all who commented about my photo of downtown Heartland . I appreciate it.

Greg ... I don’t know of a Crazy Horse Saloon in Nashville , but there is a Wild Horse Saloon downtown. ... If you are headed to Nashville ,feel free to stop and see my layout if we can coordinate a schedule. We are near the Land Between the Lakes area of western KY near I-24.

Good night , everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back