Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

I am typing this from my tablet. Not the most fun ever. Sunny and hot today, temps in the mid to upper 90's with heat index in the 105 to 110 range. I am off today to take the formerly youngest grand daughter to swim lessons while her mom takes her baby sister in for her checkup.

i did find the last part of what I needed for the grandson 's layout and will pick that up this afternoon.

I got bit by a wood tick about two and a half weeks ago and the bite area on my left side still hurts at night when I try to sleep and the rash area is large, but growing less red. I know there's a slight infection since I get a mild fever for time to time and I'm tired a lot. I need to get better before I go back in a couple of days. I have no appetite for large meals or fast food of any kind. I been bit before, but never like this. Getting to 70 is a lot harder than I thought.

If this was a normal size tick probably not lymes, however when I got lymes disease the first symptoms were the fatigue followed by a red rash which eventually appeared over several areas of my body.

This is very serious so please see a doctor if symptoms persist. Lymes totally knocked me out for 30 days and it took several months of recovery, even 5 years later still some residual effects. Severe fatigue, night sweats, sore feet, oversensitive skin, loss of appetite (I lost 15 pounds), confusion, severe headaches,chills. These are some of the things I remember first.

Dave

Good morning, 70 and sunny. Pretty consistent temps throughout the nation this morning?

Not much new right now, arrived for my first assignment this morning at 5:30 only to find the job was cancelled due to heavy rains last night. At least I will be getting off work early!

Will share this previously posted photo, like the way the loco is coming out of the woods:

_MG_5579.jpg

more later, Dave

Good morning everyone. 73 and cloudy out there - in fact it's raining lightly now, remnants of Barry which went right over us here in the Springfield area. Time for another cup of coffee, Flo, please.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my DPM structure progress. I'm going to leave the windows the gray color, so I'm basically finished with the structure, except for adding interior corner supports, roof supports, cutting the roof and spray painting it and installing it, and the chimney. I have a sign for the building and some wall advertisements that I'll add this week. Then it's ready for the layout. I'm running out of space on the layout, though, and that's a shame 'cause I'm starting to get good at kit builds.

Patrick - nice haul
Greg - I agree with Dave L&SM - see a doc if this doesn't get better fast

Here's a photo of my NYCentral freight train coming up a hill and approaching a trestle over a river.

NYCentralApproachingTrestle_July2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear, slight breeze from the south. It's going to be a hot one today, possibly our first triple digit day of the year. Sunny, dry and hot is our forecast for the next ten days, and probably the next month and a half as well. Heat index for today is for between 105° and 108°. Pool will see a lot of use today, it will be great as it cooled down to 82° over the last few days and it will take a couple of days to warm back up.
I need something light this morning Francine, How about a bowl of corn flakes?

Thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding the background structure yesterday; Patrick, Dave, Garry, Sherrel, Jerome, Curt, Ray, Tom.
Don't really have any pictures today, I'll get some later. I probably have many, but I don't remember which ones that I may have posted.

Another day of odds and ends in the train shed yesterday. I cleaned about 75' of track and then vacuumed the area, part of the quarterly layout maintenance program. Track was clean already from constant usage but I still ran the Woodland Scenics Tidy Track wand over all of it. Fortunately I don't really have any issues with dirty track, my main nemesis is those spiderwebs from some very tiny spiders. Removed a few structures to the workbench for careful dusting and any needed rehab or upgrading. No real projects going on right now, just some additional scenery items being added to the peninsula such as traffic signs and a few more clumps of weeds and field grass. I really need to get some signs on two structures there and start to populate the area. I am budgeting for some vehicles on the next trip to the LHS. I could easily use about 30 right now.

Chet - I got one of those DPM modular structures at one time. However, I used it to augment the stash of modular walls instead of making a building. Lots of parts in the kit.
Patrick - Looks like that auction collection came from someone's estate. Nice find on your daughter's part.
Greg - So when's the birthday? Sorry to read of the tick bite. Dave has some nasty memories.
Ray - Brick structures with concrete columns were really quite common around here at one time. Many still exist.
Garry - Good news regarding your wife.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Everybody!

I did not even have time to to skim through all the posts I missed. God willing I will do so soon!

I spent my weekend setting up and then enjoying our new pool, we love it!

1563283132827.png

My time is short because I am scheduled to leave for work shortly, but I wanted to say hello.

Have a great day Everybody, God Bless You All!

Whoo HOO! Hot the last couple days - 99* yesterday and predicted 95* today, was 94* last year and record 101* in 2010.
The sky is a deep blue color with nary a cloud. The heat is bothering me more this year than it has in the past; I guess that is another sign of aging - it sucks! Speaking of the sky - 50 years ago today Apollo 11 launched carrying Aldrin, Armstrong, and Collins towards the moon. Hard to believe that it has been a half-century ago. Only one, of mine and my wife's kids, was alive at that time -- and now they have kids of their own.

I be back later, so be on guard! Have to run a couple of quick errands.

82F at 11am. Supposed to get into the 90s today. We'll see.

Was up until 3:30am working to get some stuff fone for the day job. Got it done. Wife got up at 5:30am for work (3 days a week), which woke me up. I was planning on taking the boy to his swim team practice at 6am, but the wife said she would drop him off on the way, so I went back to sleep until 7:15am. Needless to say, been draggin' a bit today. I am not a coffee or tea drinker, (or normally a much of a soda drinker), but stopped at Taco Bell for breakfast on the way home from piking the boy up from his practice, in order to caffeinate. Mountain Dew Baja Blast (sugar Free) mixed with the Mountain Dew Orange Kick Start (sugared). Total of 4 big cups. It will get me through until after lunch, when I will take a nap. (Nice thing about working remotely, at home, and 2 hours behind the office time zone, is you can excuse yourself for an errand or a nap, and no one knows (or cares)).

ll of you inspire me with your photos of your train work.

And prayers and thoughts to those who have health issues. Luckily, I've not yet developed much beyond a small amount of arthritis in (A few of) the fingers (and usually just a little). And being a bit overweight and trying to lay off the calories and carbs. But that can happen at any age. But I can certainly relate to the feeling of getting older. I am not what I used to be :)

Speaking of the sky - 50 years ago today Apollo 11 launched carrying Aldrin, Armstrong, and Collins towards the moon. Hard to believe that it has been a half-century ago. Only one, of mine and my wife's kids, was alive at that time -- and now they have kids of their own.

I don't remember Apollo 11 and the first moon walk, though I was alive (3). I do remember the last couple in the early 70s. Watching on our old B&W TV as a kid. It was something to think about -- a man on the moon. Now, we all carry the equivalent of what used to be a super-computer 20 years ago in our pockets (well, most of us -- some of you guys probably still have flip phones in your pockets and a rotary phone at home -- LOL).

Afternoon All,

Finished the build today. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the glass display case for it (Micromark) and I need to put up a shelf for it. Tomorrow at 1 pm is the start of the dreaded prep for my Colonoscopy on Thursday.:( I hope Ken is doing OK after his surgery.

Greg- Nice scene.

Johnny- Also a nice scene.

Garry- I'm glad everything worked out well for Shelley.

Louis- Looks like a fun way to cool off in the hot city.

20190716_130441-2016x1512.jpg

20190716_130449-2016x1512.jpg

20190716_130454-2016x1512.jpg

20190716_130503-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night. I'll talk to you on Friday.

CURT - I had not realized that you were building this as a display model? I could understand you building a sub model, but a gun barrel? I'll tell you this- I don't think it will float! Very nice looking, anyway.

JUST talked to IB Ken for quite a while. He is in good spirits, says he is doing fine, and having fun in the hospital as we all have had after surgery.

Good evening y'all: I have been a tad under the weather for a while now, which has reduced my desire to be active. Turning 70 has not been good for me. Apparently, even with joint replacement surgery, much of my arthritic pain will continue. As we all know, pain killers really don't have lasting effect, so it's a matter of dealing with the discomfort, as best as I can.

Sherrel: thanks for relaying the info about IB Ken. Hopefully, he will be a fast healer.

Willie and others: I enjoy your modeling work, and the photos. Curt: That is quite an undertaking with the Gun Barrel. Good luck with your procedure also.

I don't remember Apollo 11 and the first moon walk, though I was alive (3). I do remember the last couple in the early 70s. Watching on our old B&W TV as a kid. It was something to think about -- a man on the moon. Now, we all carry the equivalent of what used to be a super-computer 20 years ago in our pockets (well, most of us -- some of you guys probably still have flip phones in your pockets and a rotary phone at home -- LOL).

Chadbag: I remember exactly where I was when I watched the first moon walk. I was in Basic Training, 3rd Platoon, B Company -5th bttn, -2nd BCT Regiment along Texas Avenue at Ft. Dix, NJ. The Army thought it was important enough to interrupt BCT and permit us to watch the landing and moon walk. Even though the video was not the best, it was awesome, to imagine humans walking on the moon. 1969 was an exceptionally hot and wet summer.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Finished the build today. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the glass display case for it (Micromark) and I need to put up a shelf for it. Tomorrow at 1 pm is the start of the dreaded prep for my Colonoscopy on Thursday.:( I hope Ken is doing OK after his surgery.

Greg- Nice scene.

Johnny- Also a nice scene.

Garry- I'm glad everything worked out well for Shelley.

Louis- Looks like a fun way to cool off in the hot city.

View attachment 38029

View attachment 38030

View attachment 38031

View attachment 38032

I hope everyone has a good night. I'll talk to you on Friday.
Colonoscopies are a piece of cake, you're either unconscious or happily doped out. Plus, the wife takes care of you for the rest of the day. Don't sweat it.

Good morning. Mostly clear and 72. High yesterday was 96, high today supposed to be 98. Possible thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon.
Back problem continues, but very slowly improving somewhat.

Good morning, 70 and sunny, headed for 91!

Should get off early today, no weather interruptions expected in the taxiway construction project we are working on.

Looks like I may be working Saturday so probably won't be making any progress on my projects.

Colonoscopy-- the worst part of mine was passing out when they stuck the IV in. Felt like they were pumping ice cold water through my veins then got light headed and when I came to, had no idea what was going on. I think the nurse screwed up but she was acting like I was "afraid" of the needle:eek:

Anyway, I survived and the doctor said I can come back when I am 70.

more later, Dave

Good Morning Everyone. 77° and clear. Only made it up to 98° yesterday. We're under a heat advisory again today, well duh! Any day that starts out at 77° is going to have a heat advisory!:cool: Sausage links and an English Muffin for me this morning Francine, along with that large glass of ice-cold orange juice.
Heat has put a bit of a damper on outdoor activity, I'm limiting myself to 45 minute stretches before either hitting the pool or the A/C. I will be mowing some more this morning, even though last Wednesday's rain only amounted to .5", it made everything spring to life. Grandsons and SIL are coming by today to pick up the granddog. Two weeks has been enough, although she'll be back in another week for another ten day retreat while they vacation in South Jersey.
Our adventures in the medical world are about to start. Tomorrow I am going in to the dermatologist for a follow-up observation for two small cancerous spots that he removed about a month ago. Next week starts the prolonged series of events to deal with my wife's first knee joint replacement surgery. Somewhere during her physical therapy, when she can drive, I am supposed to have a follow up colonoscopy, although that isn't nearly as important since there wasn't anything wrong except benign polyps fifteen months ago. I believe that doctors see Medicare patients as both an ongoing source of income; and see themselves as providing activity to retirees.

How about a couple of farm scenes today. I have posted these before, but we have some newer visitors here who may not have seen them.
09-10-17 001.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

These animals have all been carefully trained not to step off the edge of the layout.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the general clean up of some structures. Removing cobwebs was the major rehab on most of them. Unlike the old train room, I do not have to remove the dirt dauber nests that seemed to be everywhere. I gathered up the stuff needed to construct my next laser-cut wood structure that I posted about a month or so ago. I opened the packaging to check off all the parts and read the instructions yesterday. This is going to be a slow project due to all of the other life activities going on around here.

Chad - Well that certainly isn't a boring schedule!
Curt - Wish you the best with the colonoscopy. Funny how certain words are easier to spell as you get older! Gun barrel model looks great. I didn't realize that it would be for display only.
Joe - Good to see you post. Sorry to note why you have been absent. Best of health going forward.
Ken - If you are reading this, congratulations on the successful surgery.

Well today is National Hot Dog Day. My granddog is hot today!
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 78 and sunny. I see lots of posts about the heat - here's another one. With Barry gone, we're in for mid-90's for the next few days at least.

Willie, Chet, Garry, Flip, Wheeler, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the comments about the scene I posted yesterday. Will try to post some more.

Ken - Continued prayers for your recovery
Dave - I do my colonoscopies non-sedated. there's nothing to them, and I can drive myself around afterward.
Willie - Well-trained herds, you have there. What obedience school do you send them to :D I like your fences.

Nothing much to report from the train room. Working on signage on the DPM Farm Supply building. Will post more photos when it's done.

Itching to get into some more woodworking projects out in my little wood shop. Getting some things lined up.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, y'all! 85° and sunny. Comig into our first real summer hot spell.

Next week starts the prolonged series of events to deal with my wife's first knee joint replacement surgery. Somewhere during her physical therapy, when she can drive, I am supposed to have a follow up colonoscopy, although that isn't nearly as important since there wasn't anything wrong except benign polyps fifteen months ago. I believe that doctors see Medicare patients as both an ongoing source of income; and see themselves as providing activity to retirees.

Willie: Since knee joint replacement is on the horizon for me, I will follow your wife's progress with interest. I have had several colonoscopys over the tears, the most recent in 2016. My Gastro doctor had me on a five year cycle due to benign polyps, until last fall when I went back due to some non related issues, and he moved me on to a ten year colonoscopy cycle (2026), which actually conforms to new medicare regulations. I also agree with your assessment about doctors and Mediacre. I also believe that some practices are not interested in geriatric patients, and don't take Medicare patients seriously.

FWIW: There is another issue, several weeks ago, I received an EOB, from my supplemental health insurancecarrier, in which they denied some $ 1400 worth of blood work dating from October 2018. Yesterday, I received a bill from the service provider demanding payment of the $ 1400.00 bill. Some quick research revealed that they never billed Medicare. After over an hour waiting on hold, they claimed they didn't have my Medicare information, which I kindly provided them. Sidebar, I have been in Medicare since 2013, and have used this particular testing company on a regular basis, and my patient profile page on their web site, contains my proper medicare account number, and the sight has results of my seven most recent visits dating back to 2013...something doesn't add up here.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back