Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all,

It’s clear, and 13 degrees this morning. They say a couple inches of snow for the weekend, so we will see.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Louis, with a sky like this, a 1% chance?
20190110_073511.jpg

Good morning everyone. 27 and partly cloudy. That storm coming our way tomorrow they now say will dump a couple inches of snow and perhaps some ice. Snow I can take, but I hate ice!!

Everyone - thanks for the birthday wishes, belated or not, and for the birthday jokes. My wife and I ate at a Houlihan's restaurant last night - I had a coupon for a free meal on my birthday, so all we had to pay for was my wife's meal.

Didn't do anything on the layout last night. If we get snowed in this weekend, I should have plenty of train room time!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 41° and cloudy for the next three days. Forecasters have backed off the rain chances for tomorrow to only 90%, temperatures in the 40's until Monday.
Nothing out of the ordinary in the train shed yesterday. How about a picture of a pair of ScaleTrains SD40-2's waiting on the siding by the grain elevator to the left, in front of the Stallings Horse Ranch.
09-30-18 007.JPG

Jim - I like the picture of the square roundhouse. Hate to be one of those homeowners in the lower right though. Not sure if it would be the lights 24/7, the constant rumble or the diesel exhaust that would get to me. Actually it would be having neighbors living that close!
Chet - I admire your willpower not to take over the family room. Pretty much the same reason that I limited the size of the train shed when I built it.
Greg -
Someday she'll learn how to use a screw driver by holding the screw driver straight with the screw, not on an angle.
That would be like teaching my wife to hang a picture by putting the nail into a stud instead of just the sheetrock.
Sherrel - That balance issue is beginning to sound serious. Hope the docs will be able to help.
Ray - Definitely sounds like you need a mean and hungry cat.

Everybody have a great day.

We have quite a contingent of Britisher's at the club who often run British steam express trains. They like to run them at prototypical speeds and sounds. Here's 13-1/2 minutes of that (if you can last that long).

Good morning y'all. 32°, windy and mostly clear.

Karl: Your comment and photo, just proves my contention that weather forecasters never look out the window.

Louis: Nice photo of the bus barn. Those electric buses are neat, but I always wondered how hard it was to keep them under the wire? Rode on several in Dayton OH, back in the 60s. they were eerie quiet compared to a GM Diesel Bus.

Sherrel: Great narrative! One thing about GEs, is that while most Engineers disliked them, railroads loved them. GE did offer more favorable financing through GECAL vs. GMAC financing from EMD, but there had to be more to it than that. The four cycle diesel used by GE (and Alco for that matter), acceleration response was slower than an EMD (two cycle diesel), and recovery after shutting off the throttle for braking, seemed eternal.

Overall, In my experience, pulling trains off the North Jersey Coast Line upgrade to the Amboy Secondary, not exceeding 10 MPH for the whole climb with an average of 80 mostly loaded cars, I would prefer 4 B-23-7s, to an equivalent number of EMDs. GE's were less comfortable, with their control stand and window placement being different than the more common EMD control arrangement, and heater placement, for instance, but performance was actually better. Not sure what the grade was, but it is steep and on a spiral.

Boris

Last edited:
The rivet counter versions have grabirons and coupler cut levers, and prototype specific details, like those a/c units on the roof. Operator version does not have those.

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. Cold start for me today with snow flurries. Supposed to stay cold for the foreseeable future as well. Glad everyone enjoyed the SD18 photo. I was shocked to learn it was still in Chessie paint as well. For anyone in Washington state that's where it has ended up the last I heard. Happy late birthday Johnny. Sorry I didn't get the time to tell you earlier. Hope everyone has a good day and I'll try to make it back later.
western-maryland-scenic.jpg

Willie...Are those Operator, or Rivet Counter? They are very good looking locomotives!
Mike - As Terry pointed out, those are Rivet Counters. They only did Rivet Counters on their first run of Santa Fe, the second run soon to be available is Operators. Even so, they were reasonably priced in my opinion at $149.99@, but if I recall, there was also a small discount for pre-ordering. I got four of the first run, they are DC, possibly DCC ready. They are exceptional runners on par with far more expensive models. I'm still considering getting a few more even though I don't have room for them.

They are exceptional runners on par with far more expensive models. I'm still considering getting a few more even though I don't have room for them.

Willie: That is a real problem, especially when the new product is well made, runs well and is priced right. That's why I have a few Rapido products, I really don't need on order.

Boris

Good afternoon, everyone. This is one of those days that the morning work agenda got shot to hell, with life happening while i was making other plans. So, for now, the morning tasks get bumped to the afternoon.

Question for Willie... have you ever done a thread on the building of your train shed, with details? It's not something that I'm in need of now, but my wife and I have talked about selling and moving in anywhere from two to four or five years. I've built my layout to make it movable when such a time comes. I've thought that if what is otherwise the best house for us doesn't have a suitable room, maybe an outdoor shed would be an option. So I'm sort of curious, collecting just some basic information on that. I have already taken note of the various kinds of Prefab Sheds available at places like Home Despot and the like. We have also agreed that we will when that time comes probably only need one car, so that an attached two-car garage could be modified to accommodate a modest-sized train room in the other half. Again, absolutely no rush here. I'm the kind of person that likes to collect lots of string for future reference...

Last edited:
Sherrel
Liked the U-boat story!

Jim - I like the picture of the square roundhouse. Hate to be one of those homeowners in the lower right though. Not sure if it would be the lights 24/7, the constant rumble or the diesel exhaust that would get to me. Actually it would be having neighbors living that close!

Definitely living too close! LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back