Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad got it right, no veggies in Chili. In competitive Chili Cook-Offs in Texas, the only solid allowed is meat. Even spices like onion and garlic must be in powdered form.

1708107913647.png

Afternoon folks, its currently 67 and cloudy but still bright. We're expecting the temps to drop tonight/tomorrow morning with the wind chill pushing 30. Me and my dad were planning to go to a swap meet tomorrow, but that weather may deter us.

In regards to chili...Down here in Texas, if chili has beans in it, then its not "proper". If you ask me, I don't care since its gonna end up in a bowl in front of me with a chunk of cornbread.🤤

Afternoon All,

Started the day slowly, and currently 77F. I seem to have a cold relapse. :( After animal chores I headed to the train room and finished the build except gluing the main roof on. I'll take photos tomorrow. Weekend plans are to get it on the layout.

Guy- Nice catch.

Jaz- Nice layout scenes including the sheep.

Smudge- Nice video.

Joe- Good luck with the balance exercises.

Mac- Nice photos.

TomO- I keep hearing about how inflation is so low, but everything just keeps going up.

Grizzled- Beautiful scenery.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sorry, but the current potential Son in Law hails from the land of the Boilermaker...

and this appears to the be the standard for Purdue tailgating... That said, this is indiana, go a few tailgates over, and you'll find an entirely new recipe:

• 2 pounds ground beef chuck
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon
  • ½ cup beer
  • ¼ cup chili powder, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips (such as Fritos®)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

I'm fairly certain that blood pressures all across the state of Texas have skyrocketed reading those ingredients.

I leave out the fritos, sugar, hot sauce, W sauce, beer, celery and change the spices up.

Sorry, but the current potential Son in Law hails from the land of the Boilermaker...

and this appears to the be the standard for Purdue tailgating... That said, this is indiana, go a few tailgates over, and you'll find an entirely new recipe:

• 2 pounds ground beef chuck
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon
  • ½ cup beer
  • ¼ cup chili powder, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips (such as Fritos®)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

I'm fairly certain that blood pressures all across the state of Texas have skyrocketed reading those ingredients.

I leave out the fritos, sugar, hot sauce, W sauce, beer, celery and change the spices up.
Sorry, but that's Chili Con Carne or Chili Stew. Adding the Fritos and cheese makes it "Frito Chili Pie".

You all did me good with your kind words of encouragement --- survived the second day with no mishaps (came close - once)
It was touch and go for a minute ... the RN could not fine a BV that would hold the drip - she said that she would not try more that twice, so she went for help and the third time was the charm.
I hope that tomorrow will be smooth sailing?
Friday is an MRI of my brain (waht is left) and a meet & greet with the surgeon who will install a port on Monday. Then I have a week off and start the second round.

They have not mentioned finding the source - even referring to calling it a Neuroendocrine (short version NET) which appears to be a pretty rare bird? Results of the Biopsy still not in?

(neuroendocrine+cancer&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS983US987&oq=neuroendo&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggCEAAYsQMYgAQyDQgAEAAYgwEYsQMYgAQyDQgBEAAYgwEYsQMYgAQyCggCEAAYsQMYgAQyBggDEEUYOTIKCAQQABixAxiABDIKCAUQABixAxiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCTYxMzY5ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8.E.T.)

Sorry to be such a bore!
You are not a bore! I've been unavoidably too busy to be here more. The first thing I am looking forward to is a word from you when I come on.

You all did me good with your kind words of encouragement --- survived the second day with no mishaps (came close - once)
It was touch and go for a minute ... the RN could not fine a BV that would hold the drip - she said that she would not try more that twice, so she went for help and the third time was the charm.
I hope that tomorrow will be smooth sailing?
Friday is an MRI of my brain (waht is left) and a meet & greet with the surgeon who will install a port on Monday. Then I have a week off and start the second round.

They have not mentioned finding the source - even referring to calling it a Neuroendocrine (short version NET) which appears to be a pretty rare bird? Results of the Biopsy still not in?

(neuroendocrine+cancer&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS983US987&oq=neuroendo&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggCEAAYsQMYgAQyDQgAEAAYgwEYsQMYgAQyDQgBEAAYgwEYsQMYgAQyCggCEAAYsQMYgAQyBggDEEUYOTIKCAQQABixAxiABDIKCAUQABixAxiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCTYxMzY5ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8.E.T.)

Sorry to be such a bore!
Not not a bore, plus if any of the rest of us have a similar or same event you have given us a walk through, fingers crossed for you, God bless.

There are about as many recipes for Chili as there are people who make chili...

Cowboy Kent Rollins has this recipe on his YouTubez

2 pounds ground beef (wild game, chunk meat, etc.)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 (10 oz.) can Rotel (we used chunky), drained (tomatos and green chilis)
1 Rotel can water
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, drained (or your bean choice)
Green Chile Chipotle Relish (available https://kentrollins.com/shop-1 or 3 - 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped or to taste
1/3 cup chile powder
½ tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano powder
2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
3 tsp minced garlic

I'm staying out of the beans/no beans argument.

But the tomatoes cross the line. Its not chili but a chili based stew. The tomatoes aren't needed. I do put whole chunks (small) of diced onion in and fresh mushed garlic and will cut peppers and chilis to put in besides the spices (fresh from the glass jar from the Korean store -- not the mincded stuff).

I will have to get some inspiration from Troys recipe though on some interesting stuff listed like the Worcestershire sauce and give that a try next time I make it. The main chili flavor is from the chili powder and then the other spices. Chili powder itself has cumin and garlic and ground chili peppers etc already though if you want to add in certain ones to emphasize them be my guest. I use a little smoked paprika.

I only make it a few times a year, if that, but make a big pot and freeze it in zip lock freezer bags. Some times its OK, sometimes great, and sometime heavenly. It's never the same twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back