Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
th-3795061174.jpg

Good Morning All. Clear and 49° this morning. Looking at mid-70's later today. The next ten days will be a bit cooler than this week, but it will still be in the mid to upper 60's every day but Monday. Thankfully our typical February.

As usual, we'll be making the weekly grocery trek today to see what B**enomics has done to us this week. While prices stabilized a bit in October & November, they've been inching up since then; and other than bacon, nothing has come down. But I probably don't need to tell anyone here that, as you probably already know.
Of course not only have groceries gone up, Medicare went up, my Medicare supplemental insurance went up, my auto insurance went up, my prescription drug plan went up, but my property taxes went down! I'll see about gasoline later today. I'm glad that I bought most of my model train supplies before I retired.

Another fine day yesterday, so I started cutting up the pile of trees again for next season's firewood. It doesn't look like I have made a dent in things yet, but I do have a good stack started.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I sent the demons away (successfully) and resumed the split rail fence for the cemetery I was able to complete another 6", so I now have about 2" left. Had to stop to let glue dry. Along with that, I also resumed inspecting and cleaning railcars. I ran across an Athearn Blue Box car with wheels that were binding somewhat. I removed them and used the truck tuner on the trucks to no avail. So I had to remove the original P2K metal wheels and substitute Intermountain ones instead. IM axles are 1.05" long while the axles in P2K and KD metal wheelsets are 1.15" in length. I mostly use KD sets since the original P2K haven't been available for years, but I keep a supply of IM around just for this type of occasion.
Still no new photos to post, so it's back to the archives again today. Some close friends of ours raise horses, so I memorialized them with a pasture, barn and barrel-racing arena; next to the location for the upcoming cemetery.
IMG_2287 (2).JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

Another horse farm is here. There is one down the road from me that this is loosely modeled on. No drive-in though!
IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_8090.JPG
IMG_8091.JPG

Tom O -
The flight in last night was uneventful and we did land about 20 minutes early due to tail winds.
Did you get a rebate on your ticket due to the fuel savings?
Mike - Yep! It's been back to shorts here all week and looks like it will continue for a while. My threshold is anything above 50° if the sun is out.
Louis - I had the opportunity to watch Nolan Ryan in person 4-5 times while he was with Texas. A company that I dealt with had season tickets behind the 1st base dugout, just behind George Bush's tickets, and they took me quite often. I'm still not sure why George Bush sat behind the dugout instead of in a luxury box when he was the majority owner?
Belated Happy Birthday to Angela.

Everybody have a terrific Thursday.

Good morning from Hilton Head Island, SC where it is 38f degrees but only going up to 58. Still better than home but i prefer playing golf in short sleeves and shorts. But it still is fun…

Obviously no model trains on vacation and while I miss it, I am not bothered by missing it. Maybe in a week or so but so far so good!

I told all my regular weathering clients do not send anything during February and March. The daughter told me in a text last night a box was on the steps at the office and it had 2-2 bay Intermountain hoppers. Some kids just don’t listen.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Clear and 49° this morning. Looking at mid-70's later today. The next ten days will be a bit cooler than this week, but it will still be in the mid to upper 60's every day but Monday. Thankfully our typical February.

As usual, we'll be making the weekly grocery trek today to see what B**enomics has done to us this week. While prices stabilized a bit in October & November, they've been inching up since then; and other than bacon, nothing has come down. But I probably don't need to tell anyone here that, as you probably already know.
Of course not only have groceries gone up, Medicare went up, my Medicare supplemental insurance went up, my auto insurance went up, my prescription drug plan went up, but my property taxes went down! I'll see about gasoline later today. I'm glad that I bought most of my model train supplies before I retired.

Another fine day yesterday, so I started cutting up the pile of trees again for next season's firewood. It doesn't look like I have made a dent in things yet, but I do have a good stack started.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I sent the demons away (successfully) and resumed the split rail fence for the cemetery I was able to complete another 6", so I now have about 2" left. Had to stop to let glue dry. Along with that, I also resumed inspecting and cleaning railcars. I ran across an Athearn Blue Box car with wheels that were binding somewhat. I removed them and used the truck tuner on the trucks to no avail. So I had to remove the original P2K metal wheels and substitute Intermountain ones instead. IM axles are 1.05" long while the axles in P2K and KD metal wheelsets are 1.15" in length. I mostly use KD sets since the original P2K haven't been available for years, but I keep a supply of IM around just for this type of occasion.
Still no new photos to post, so it's back to the archives again today. Some close friends of ours raise horses, so I memorialized them with a pasture, barn and barrel-racing arena; next to the location for the upcoming cemetery.
View attachment 180560
View attachment 180561
Another horse farm is here. There is one down the road from me that this is loosely modeled on. No drive-in though!
View attachment 180562
View attachment 180563View attachment 180564

Tom O -

Did you get a rebate on your ticket due to the fuel savings?
Mike - Yep! It's been back to shorts here all week and looks like it will continue for a while. My threshold is anything above 50° if the sun is out.
Louis - I had the opportunity to watch Nolan Ryan in person 4-5 times while he was with Texas. A company that I dealt with had season tickets behind the 1st base dugout, just behind George Bush's tickets, and they took me quite often. I'm still not sure why George Bush sat behind the dugout instead of in a luxury box when he was the majority owner?
Belated Happy Birthday to Angela.

Everybody have a terrific Thursday.
Willie,the airline is a supporter of the other guy. They keep the profit

Good morning from Hilton Head Island, SC where it is 38f degrees but only going up to 58. Still better than home but i prefer playing golf in short sleeves and shorts. But it still is fun…

Obviously no model trains on vacation and while I miss it, I am not bothered by missing it. Maybe in a week or so but so far so good!

I told all my regular weathering clients do not send anything during February and March. The daughter told me in a text last night a box was on the steps at the office and it had 2-2 bay Intermountain hoppers. Some kids just don’t listen.

enjoy the day
He SENT it in January! Not Feb. ;)

Good afternoon all. After last nights escapade with older granddaughter, Julia breaking a finger (See Jan Diner) all is back and running. I worry about our daughter, Julia. (All the girls in the family are called Julia. Easy to remember. :D) Our daughter works long hours. Spending time in hospital with her daughter doesn't help for her to relax.
Just heard from Dawn that our daughter is going away for a long weekend holiday with friends. That is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back