Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Stops you curling your toes up.

Ah, well, another one that obviously doesn't cross borders, Turning or curling your toes up = kicking the bucket. (now Jimmy Durante did that in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" some years ago, so I know you know what that means). Hence the starching your socks to promote longevity. (grumble, mumble, mumble when guys don't get it........................................................................................!!

Good Morning All. Clear and 54 degrees here this morning. Yesterday's high was 74, today's is only expected to be 68, Monday back to 75. Yesterday I just ran trains since I hadn't done that in a couple of days. Mostly I did outdoor chores..."make hay while the sun shines". Although nothing is in the forecast yet, We will get at least one spell of nasty weather this winter, or not!
Terry - Good luck with your electrical issues. Hope they get resolved very quickly.
Garry - Keep them coming.
Curt - Looking good. I wish I worked as fast as you seem to.
Bob - First heard of Le Pétomane In French class back in 1967. Being as it was a Catholic high school, it was a Dominican priest who informed us of this particular performer. Congratulations to your granddaughter and her team.
Chet - Did the bowling overwhelm you?

That's it for today. The wife is off work (tax preparer) for the last time for the next two weeks at least, so I don't know what my plans are yet, other than gardening a bit.

Willie
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

Good morning gang,
No bread crumbs to follow, and I still found you! Maybe the Wombat (Tony) just needs us to launch a signal flare?

Anyhow, happy Sunday, and remember to tip your waitresses, but please, if you do, stand her up when you are done!:rolleyes:

Good morning. It's clear and 32.

In case anybody is wondering, a new power adapter for an Apple laptop is $79. I had to buy two of them...
The power supply for the Mac Pro was $159.
The power adapter for my wife's Dell desktop was $29...
New fridge was $879.
New freezer is $695.
New 42" tv is $497.
New 32" tv was $249.
New Keureg was $112.
New washing machine was $749.
All my credit cards are whimpering.

Good morning. It's clear and 32.

In case anybody is wondering, a new power adapter for an Apple laptop is $79. I had to buy two of them...
The power supply for the Mac Pro was $159.
The power adapter for my wife's Dell desktop was $29...
New fridge was $879.
New freezer is $695.
New 42" tv is $497.
New 32" tv was $249.
New Keureg was $112.
New washing machine was $749.
All my credit cards are whimpering.
Ouch! I think at this point I'm the one whimpering along with my credit cards.

Justin

Good morning. 21 degrees to start off the day. Thought I would check in and see what's been going on. Spent all day yesterday at the bowling tournament and have to be in town again as we start bowling at 10 AM this morning. We did exceptionally well in team events. If we're not at the of the list, we're darn clost. Doubles and singles today.

Garry - really enjoyed the photos. Next to the dining car, I really enjoyed riding in the dome cars. That sure was the way to travel back then.

Curt - Nice job on the layout. Looking really good.

Terry - Nothing much I can say about the electrical situation. Hopefully you home owners insurance will help out. About 20 years ago we took a direct hit from lightning. I was watching TV when a storm blew in and it was raining so hard that I lost sat reception on DirecTv. I went out onto the front porch to watch the storm move by and a bolt of lightning hit a fence post about 50 feet away. An enlightning experience. Just about when the storm moved off, my son came home and asked what happened to my Ham radio antenna, which was mounted on the roof. It was totally melted down. Then we started to check things in the house. It needless to say fried my ham radio. It also took out 2 TV's, the land lines for the phones. Didn't hurt the computer because I usually turn ot off when I wan't usung it. The worst thing it fried was the submersible pump in the well. The home owners insurance took care of things and I was even able to upgrade the pump to a 2 horse unit at no cost.
Sure was a pain in the butt.

I ran across an old photo. I learned a lesson on this occasion. Don't leave the gas cans in the shed. Sure wish I still had to old snowblower that was on the from of the old tractor. It was amazing how much snow it could move. That thing could chew through snow drifts like they were nothing.

1120002.jpg

This photo has to be at least 30 years old. Not too clear as it was scanned from a snapshot.

Time to grab breakfast and head to town.

Good morning, Happy Sunday. 39°, and sunny. Hopefully, there will be some intense snow melt over the next couple of says. I've had my fill for the year.

Terry: All I can say is ouch!

Ach, Lordy! That is a hit!

I finally said "Damn the torpedoes" and with dread began to pick more forcefully at the Riv to see if the dang thing would show me what was what! After much searching and careful consideration I began taking screws out! Two screws and the sacrifice of a couple of fine details I think I can live without later and the truth was revealed! NO WAY am I going to be able to trace these down and re attatch them INSIDE the loco! A splice to the existing wires is my only option. NOW to strip and splice these angel hairs...expose each end and use a drop of solder to connect them? Then wrap it with tape or coat it with a non conductive paint or some such seems like a thing I could try. That is just the first idea that popped into my inexperienced head!

At least now I know what the thing looks like inside, it did not help and my first impulse was correct, "going in" was not going to be the fix. Splicing the wires is the way to go, extra long wires will not bother me, I'll tape em up out of the way.

Anybody that has connected VERY small wires together and has ANY advice for me would be a savior to this lost child!

Ach, Lordy! That is a hit!

I finally said "Damn the torpedoes" and with dread began to pick more forcefully at the Riv to see if the dang thing would show me what was what! After much searching and careful consideration I began taking screws out! Two screws and the sacrifice of a couple of fine details I think I can live without later and the truth was revealed! NO WAY am I going to be able to trace these down and re attatch them INSIDE the loco! A splice to the existing wires is my only option. NOW to strip and splice these angel hairs...expose each end and use a drop of solder to connect them? Then wrap it with tape or coat it with a non conductive paint or some such seems like a thing I could try. That is just the first idea that popped into my inexperienced head!

At least now I know what the thing looks like inside, it did not help and my first impulse was correct, "going in" was not going to be the fix. Splicing the wires is the way to go, extra long wires will not bother me, I'll tape em up out of the way.

Anybody that has connected VERY small wires together and has ANY advice for me would be a savior to this lost child!
A good soldering iron and small heat shrink tubing are pretty much required. Make sure any spliced areas will not interfere with putting the body back on.

A good soldering iron and small heat shrink tubing are pretty much required. Make sure any spliced areas will not interfere with putting the body back on.

Excellent, thank you. I might actually be able to do that mine own self! These wires are pretty long so none of it will have to be done inside the shell. The ends of the wires on the connector I got from Hornby look like they have already been... what is the term for putting a WEE bit of solder on before soldering...ARG... brain cramp! You know what I mean, bronzed? Primed? Oh, BLA, need more coffee!

Excellent, thank you. I might actually be able to do that mine own self! These wires are pretty long so none of it will have to be done inside the shell. The ends of the wires on the connector I got from Hornby look like they have already been... what is the term for putting a WEE bit of solder on before soldering...ARG... brain cramp! You know what I mean, bronzed? Primed? Oh, BLA, need more coffee!

Tinning is the word you're looking for.
If these wires really are super tiny, don't try to strip them in a normal way.
Take a lighter and simply burn the insulation off.
E

Or ask for a long weight.

Back in my old Scoutmaster and Camp Director days, we used to send a new scout out looking for the "left Handed Smoke Shifter". My favorite at camp was when a scout would just hang around the main office, I would send him over to the Rifle Range (way across camp) to get the "Rifle Report" from old Chet over there...... Chet, the Range Director was deaf, and would have to have the Scout repeat what he wanted several times. He would then nod his head and tell the Scout to sit on the bench while he would take out one of the 22's load it, and go over and fire it at a target. The Scout would finally figure it out and avoid bugging me the rest of the week......

That was back in the days when we could do stuff like that....

Tinning is the word you're looking for.
If these wires really are super tiny, don't try to strip them in a normal way.
Take a lighter and simply burn the insulation off.
E

AHA! "Big-E" to the rescue AGAIN! That is perfect! Practical, concise, how-to advice!

Hmm....
One time I was on the bridge, and a squeaky-new rookie was standing his first ever bridge watch.

Me: "Williams! Do you feel that?"
Him: "Feel what, sir?"
Me: "That vibration. It feels like we might have gotten some barnacles on the propeller while we were unloading. We're going to have to clean them off. Go down to the engine room, and ask the chief for a bucket of prop wash."
Him "Yessir!"
A few minutes later, he came back, looking pretty sheepish, and maybe a little upset...

0b57b1b709f5ab8730da0efe970c248e.jpg

This is turning into another long winded have lots of patience project. Then again slow and steady seems to be working out really well.

Justin

Hey Everybody!

Greetings my Friends from sunny, but still snow covered southeast Baltimore. Notice I capitalize the words Friends because you are all indeed capital Friends. Forgive me for being such an infrequent visitor, but I assure you if it at all possible I would be here more often. I miss my Friends, and playing with my trains, but my Fiends and trains are often on my mind!

I am so far behind in reading posts I have to reply to posts from the previous coffee shop, better late then never!

...Louis - Good to hear from you again, we were wondering where you were. Interesting pictures from 2003, I had not seen them before.

Thank you for your thoughts. When I first saw those pictures of the collapsed B&O roundhouse roof from 2003 I was heart broken, but now having been there after the repairs I can agree with you that they are interesting.

...Louis - Glad to see you in here again. Hopefully you have all of your snow removal done. Thought about you when I saw watching the news over the weekend. Having the right equipment does make a big difference.

How true that is Chet! My favorite piece of equipment has been my long handle transfer shovel. The small square head is great for moving snow, breaking ice and the size keeps me from picking up too much weight each time. I have thought of buying a snow blower but it would take up space and maybe only get used once or twice every 2 years or so. For now all snow has been removed, thank God!

...Louis: Good to see your post. That was some snow storm, eh?

I'll say Boris! It was a storm like I have never seen before. Only the back to back to back storms of 2010 were worse,

...Louis - Yep we survived another blizzard. For all the complaints about not getting streets plowed quickly enough the power companies get a shout out for the general lack of power outages. I haven't been to the B&O museum in a long time I need to get down there when the weather is better.

I was thinking the same thing myself! BGE (our local power company) did an amazing job of maintaining and restoring power. Their tree trimming programs sure did pay off.

The B&O museum is my favorite place to go. If you are like me and have trouble walking long distances or standing for long periods it is set up beautifully with bench scattered throughout. The only time you may encounter lines is if you go during a very popular special event like the polar express or Thomas the tank engine. otherwise its a leisurely uncrowded and friendly place, with free parking!

...Louis- Good to see you back here. Please be careful on the roof.
Curt rest easy, I can promise you I won't get up on any roof unless it is a roof I have worked on the construction of or I have inspected the construction! Thank you for thinking of me.

If I have missed any other replies to my posts forgive me. To all of you I say no need to worry about me I am like a weeble, I wobble, but I don't fall down. I am having some difficulties adjusting to my lifestyle changes, but they are necessary to improve my health. I will adjust and I will do better thus giving me more free time for my Friends and my trains. Little league baseball is around the corner so I must stay the course to be ready to coach my boys. After that, this summer I hope to be back to my trains with more enthusiasm and hopefully time then ever.

Back