Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVI

It's astounding how many lives a GOOD man can have a positive effect on. \
FrankenDiesel ,RunningBear ,Jeff, Jeffrey, whatever name you knew him by, we shall not forget him .
Miss yuh.

Flip

Good Morning, 36°, and as usual overcast. Going to 41° today.

#2 son arrived last night. He had an uneventful drive until he hit the Metro DC Rush Hour traffic jam. #1 son and family are due Saturday night.

Today, we put the tree up, and set up the O31 loop around the tree. This year's power will be the CNJ Trainmaster. Ho Ho Ho!!!

Good day to help wrap the gifts, and work on the layout.

Joe

Joe, the only time I didn't hit the DC rush hour traffic jam was when I drove through at 3 o'clock in the morning on the Sunday before Christmas...

Nice photos Alan. I can't guess which is yours, but I prefer the one on the bottom. I custom painted a very similar locomotive for a friend in Great Falls who model the GN. Don't know if I could tear down brass locomotives like I used to years ago. It's a bi**h getting old.

Glad you like! Mine is the black one (an Espee 4-8-0 :D) guess you can't really see the tender lettering on the model as well as I thought you could!

I paint a lot of Glacier green for this fellow. At present I have an old Tenshodo 2-6-8-0 on the bench for him. It's a handsome scheme though a PITA to do right! I painted both models together, as it was the only way I could get something done for myself!

They both look great. I think the worst part of custom paint brass locomotives is disassembling them and getting them back together after painting and and still having them run smoothly. I think the worst one I ever did was my Northern Pacific Z-5 Yellowstone. I had custom a number of O scale brass locomotives for a local brass collector of Milwaukee Road locomotives. O scale is rather easy compared to HO.

After half a dozen for him, I thought I would do the Yellowstone which I had sitting around for a couple of years unpainted. It was a pain, but came out great. It has become my "traveling" locomotive. An out of state friend who is a DCC nut installed DCC and Tsunami sound in it. I occasionally let it out of its box and let it run for a while to keep it lubricated, but it is way too long for my 90 foot turntables and wouldn't have shown up on a railroad like mine, but it does go with us on road trips so I have something to run when visiting other modelers layouts or club layouts. I think it could rip out tree stumps. We had it pulling over 120 freight cars all by itself. Impressive.

Getting to be time to head home for the day. Sure was quiet on here today.

Here a picture of a pricey derailment we had up here in Montana earlier this year when the BNSF dumped the Beoing 737 fusalages into the Clark Fork River near Alberton, MT.

attachment.php

Joe, the only time I didn't hit the DC rush hour traffic jam was when I drove through at 3 o'clock in the morning on the Sunday before Christmas...

I-95 in Virginia is a total parking lot from the junction of I-395 and the Beltway all the way to Fredericksburg, even at 0400 Sunday Morning. I used to work at W 33rd ST, SE off of Minnesota Av, including night work, and the traffic volume across the other side of the tracks on DC 295, never slowed up, ever. Then there was July 4 morning at 0600, one year, and I was the only car driving through the District other than the Cops. I thought I was caught up in a Twilight Zone episode.:rolleyes:

Getting to be time to head home for the day. Sure was quiet on here today.

Here a picture of a pricey derailment we had up here in Montana earlier this year when the BNSF dumped the Beoing 737 fusalages into the Clark Fork River near Alberton, MT.

attachment.php

I think it was quiet on here today because everyone is scurrying around trying to finish up for Christmas, I know I was!

That is one expensive train wreck! Do they know what caused it? I would guess the load shifted.

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Fri 12/19/14.

Cold with a high of 32. Stopping by the club later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

hxTt1DFhGhYfNPDQMEFHJ2jqf0hj3HsfUpVa6m7Gqs_SxLK05Q.png

IN MEMORIAM - JEFFREY WIMBERLY

Good morning gentlemen! So, four books on Milwaukee Road in the mail and three on backorder, which, when delivered, will make it 26 and counting, does that classify as an addiction? Or is it after 30+ books? ;)
Also been looking at some DVD's....

Wabash4-6-2663.jpg

Wish you all a pleasant weekend!

Good Morning Everybody!

33 and cloudy in southeast Baltimore.

My new gloves with thinsulate work great! I don't know how you guys in much colder climates do it. My hands get cold and they are useless. I admire your robustness!

Last weekend before Christmas! I have to get my layout ready so that my grandson can decorate the little tree I have for it.

Here is a picture of the tree he decorated all by himself last year. For being only 4 years old at the time I think it looked great! All I did was after he decorated it I lifted it up and put it on the layout and plugged it in. This year I have some new ornaments for him.

PC241541.jpg

I think it was quiet on here today because everyone is scurrying around trying to finish up for Christmas, I know I was!

That is one expensive train wreck! Do they know what caused it? I would guess the load shifted.

The cause was the track. We had a lot more moisture than normal in the spring and early summer and BNSF claimed a problem with the track caused the derailment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see some great looking steamers in the post this morning. Guess I'll add one too. 31 degrees this morning. We're supposed to get some snow later today.

attachment.php

Good morning all, 20 degrees this morning which feels mild because the past few mornings were colder. Still only about 2" of snow on the ground which works for the White Christmas people but isn't too tough to get around in.

We might get dumped on early next week, though...

lasm

Good morning everybody.

Getting busy here. We'll be in Birmingham, AL briefly at Christmas. Then in Cincinnati, OH at end of month briefly.

Happy Model Railroading.

Back