Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie: Nice signs and structures, tell your method for doing the wall signs. They look great!
Greg - If you are referring to the beer advertisements on the background building, I did not do them. A fellow forum member who goes by the name TomKat posted a thread in 2012, that had hundreds of background flats. This was one of them in post #5. In this case I simply printed it on 65# paper, trimmed it and glued it to the backdrop.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/background-flats-you-can-use.20726/

However I do the same thing on structures that I assemble. I print signs on the cheapest, thinnest computer paper that I have and sand the backs until they are "onion-skin" thickness. I use either fine sandpaper or in some cases a Bright Boy. This takes practice and I always print extras, just in case. I then use a 50/50 Elmer's white glue/water mixture to wet it and place it on the model. It normally settles into the crevices and mortar lines. If it tears a tiny bit, that adds character. When dry, I hit it with a fine sanding stick in a couple of places to allow the underlying brick to show through, or just enough to scuff up the paint a bit. I then brush paint it with Dull Coat to prevent damage or fading. The Dull Coat also helps them to adhere more permanently. I'll try to locate some old pictures or take a picture of some and post it here in the next couple of days.
If you haven't seen TomKat's post and a companion one with 1000's of signs, it's certainly worth taking a look. We lost all of the pictures when PhotoBucket held them for ransom a while back, but forum administrator Bob was able to restore them all last spring.

Willie: Thanks for posting your method of installing signage on building walls. I do have the signs filed that TomKat posted. Being from the Milwaukee area, I especially like the Schlitz Brewing sign.

When young and money was an issue, individuals (not me) used toured the Milwaukee breweries for free beer and snacks. Miller, Pabst, Blatz and Schlitz, two beer limit at each brewery and then return in the afternoon for a second series of tours. Hopefully go unnoticed that you were in the morning tour.

Cheap afternoon in the 60's.

Thanks again.

Greg

Last edited:
Chet: Your transfer caboose turned out very nice. Lettering one and the painting it for your home road is a great addition. I never saw a 1:1 transferred caboose in action on an railroad near me. Both the Milwaukee and C&NW had the transfer cabooses.

Greg

Last edited:
Louis, you are a better man than I. When I was younger (10 ft tall and bullet proof) I would stride through any part of Bmore. My sister lived on St.Paul Street so I was downtown a lot. (Hammerjacks!) All over the town, Hanover Street, to Broadway, to Key Highway to Belair Road and Frankfurt, where I went to elementary school. Now, with a few exceptions, the place gives me the creeps. I just don't go there anymore.

Karl, I'm sorry to hear about the puppy. barcs has lots of dogs and it's only blocks off of 395. My oldest beagle, Tucker will chase, hunt anything that moves. He escaped from the yard and ended up at barcs. They took great care of my Tucker He was only gone 3 hours total. They gave him a bath, shots and feed him. Nonetheless he was happy to see my grandson and I.
https://barcs.org/

I'm no better than you or anybody else for that matter. I am different ;). The creeps... Now you know how I feel out in the middle of nowhere and not a light to be seen. I can't tell if they have house numbers or not! I'd rather deliver in East Baltimore's Midway neighborhood. That's; north of North Ave, east of Greenmount Ave, south of 25th Street, I don't much care for farm country.

Maybe you heard this band at Hammer Jacks, they are from some where near you. How about the Seagull Inn? Or Coast to Coast?

I just spent a couple satisfying hours laying code 100 track on my layout.
I now have most of the turnouts in place and I am "filling in" between the turnouts with flex track.

I'm using double sided tape on the cork in 2 - 3" long pieces to hold the track in position, especially on the curves.
The tape allows me to adjust the track to get good joiner connections.
It is slow working by myself, but I can think things through before installing track and accessories.

I'm really enjoying the progress I am making on the layout.

Forgot to mention earlier - stopped by my LHS and looked through his diminishing stock of PolyScale paints - no more D&RGW Freight Car Red, which has become one of my favorites for exterior structure walls. I bought two last year, but one is almost empty. I did find another jar of Vermont Green to replace the one I baptized my hand in the other day :mad:

Just really enjoying reading the posts this morning.
Louis - Don't think I could handle your work .. I'm not very tall, lost some weight, and can't run very fast now! I'd have to make like Al Jolson to get into parts of South LA.
Karl .. Luck on the puppy hunt!
Chet .. good shot of the transfer cab. nice work.
Willie .. You are getting to be quiet the master. Those backgrounds of yours really blend in place.
Toot .. enjoyed the boat video.
Garry .. That 2-4-4-2 is the cat's meow! What a marvelous little engine. The FRISCO bought a couple articulated locos, but they didn't have enough freight cars to go with them, so they dumped them - LOL.
Greg .. Lv your "beer tours" .. I do the same thing here at Cosco on Friday afternoons when the vendors all have their sample carts set up around the store. Twice around the store and I can skip dinner!

Good evening Spike Drivers, glad to see most everyone is doing ok.

Hi Flo, Francine, how have things been here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner? How about coffee along with an Apple Fritter.

Started to post yesterday but couldn't figure out how to muti-post and then got side-tracked, no-pun-intended and still haven't on my cell phone, yet.

Howdy ....

Today is our anniversary. ....

Many years ago, my wife gave me a brass model of "Skookum". ...... So I'm fascinated with an article in October 2018 Trains entitled "Skookum Lives" ... The article tells the interesting history of the little 2-4-4-2, built by Baldwin in 1909. It worked on logging railroads for many years. In 1955, it had an accident and was abandoned in the mud for many years. The article tells the amazing story about how its remains were retrieved and how it is being rebuilt so it can operate again.

Here are photos of my model.

43764660644_bceb038177_b.jpg

35698964572_e0fcdd64f4_b.jpg

I think I'll take Shelley out to dinner this evening.

SayGarry A Belated Happy Birthday Wish. It's amazing how fresh the Virtual cake was and even more amazing how cold the ice cream was!?

You and Shelley have an very enjoyable Anniversary dinner.

I really enjoyed the the information about 'Skookum, I've always liked the small 2-4-4-2's. I had a chance to buy one from the same fellow I picked-up the Mack Railbus from but didn't think I should spend the extra money.

Willie Thanks for commenting on my Veloster and it's 6 speed manual transmission. I do enjoy shifting plus it seems to offer more control. I will have to say that the new paddle shifters are very intriguing though!

Hope all have a good evening

David

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 74.
And by "mostly cloudy", I think the NWS means "foggy"...
If nobody knew this, fog is clouds that are so low they are on the ground.

Good morning,

I have lots to say, but my grandson will be waking up in 2 minutes.

God Bless All of Us.

Good morning gang
75 and clear, heading back to the 90s. After work, gotta cut the lawn, they are calling for showers for the weekend.
Louis, I've seen Kix several times, along with Facedancer, Hybrid Ice, Mars and others at those venues plus others.

Just really enjoying reading the posts this morning.
Louis - Don't think I could handle your work .. I'm not very tall, lost some weight, and can't run very fast now! I'd have to make like Al Jolson to get into parts of South LA.

I'm just so happy to be able to do something, a few hours work a week, better than nothing. In my book at least.

I may be broken down and look like a semi-deflated blow-up doll, but I still know these streets and the other people we share them with. At 6'8" and still 275lbs I am not going to be anybody's first choice for a mugging.

To be honest, I don't see much difference in the people I encounter, personally. The high-dollar condo people don't tip very well. Again, from my personal experience. I seldom ever do groceries anymore, so I can't speak about tips recently. We don't take tips in package delivery.

If you find yourself in a not so nice area of Baltimore; try not to be or look like an easy target. Better yet I can meet you at the airport!

David, it's great to see you!

I wish you all the best with your new car. Aren't these new vehicles amazing?!

Good Morning Everyone. 74° and cloudy, a little drizzle about three hours ago. Not a lot planned for today except the weekly grocery/beer trek. Despite the overcast skies and occasional rain, the pool is staying at a very pleasant 83° right now, may get another week of use this season before closing it down. Spent lots of time yesterday mowing, got the south and east parts of the yard done, that's the biggest part of the job. Weather will dictate what I do this afternoon. It looks like my daily one mile walks will be to the north for the next few weeks, there's a very large dead cow in the creek/roadside about a quarter mile south; I discovered it on my walk yesterday before it bloated and burst. Once it bursts (2-3 more days depending on the temperature), the smell will be horrid, but should dissipate into the air before reaching my place. Only minimal smell down there so far and the buzzards/vultures haven't discovered it yet. It's going to be an early Thanksgiving for them. Normally, the county does not remove dead animals unless it's in front of an officials house. It's impossible to get a front-end loader into that particular spot anyway.
Thanks for all of the positive comments on that tiny scene everyone, Greg, Chet, Sherrel and anyone that I may have missed.
Resumed my "odds & ends" mission in the train shed yesterday. Added additional ground throws, painted some more people, detailed a few automobiles, added some weight to an antique Athearn boxcar and did some other stuff. I also removed the remnants of the dirt dauber nest from the "Gemini Building" that's in rehab over on the workbench; and I sent the roof over to the paint booth for a complete repaint. Ran more trains than I had in over a week, including switching runs in three towns.

Louis - Your treks (and the ones that Karl described) around Baltimore, remind me of walking in the woods around here, bobcats, mountain lion, coyotes, snakes; although most of them flee as soon as they see me. Scary?
Yes it is too soon for that Christmas promotion. Heck! It's too early for Halloween yet.
Garry - Forgot to comment on the great pictures of "Skookum" yesterday. They are fantastic as usual. I read the article in Trains yesterday afternoon; it was interesting even to a non-steam guy like me.
Chet - Nice job on the switch tower and the transfer caboose. They look right at home.
Mikey - Sounds like some positive progress. Pictures when you can.
Sherrel - Hear you on the Costco thing, and I'm not even a member any more.
Terry -
Hoarfrost.
And I thought it would be "block ice".
How's your wife settling in?

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning gang
75 and clear, heading back to the 90s. After work, gotta cut the lawn, they are calling for showers for the weekend.
Louis, I've seen Kix several times, along with Facedancer, Hybrid Ice, Mars and others at those venues plus others.
Small world! Another of my personal favorites The Fishermen's Inn. "metal for mother f&%$#@#$ down by the river. The Seagull was where I could usually be found, but the Fishermen's Inn was always fun, just too far to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back